HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ron Wilson is freaking hilarious...

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2008, 02:04 PM
Epoch

vCash: 500
I love Wilson.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
It is a smart move by a pretty smart coach. It's all about media spin...it's this same media spin that has Leafs fans wondering if Luke Schenn can make Team Canada 2010.

Paul Maurice came in every year and said he expected his team to challenge for the Cup every year, that hightened expectations even though they were unrealistic, so while the Leafs weren't awful last year, nothing they did could measure up to those expectations...the opposite is happening this year, even though the product on the ice is essentially the same
...was the only Leafs game you watched this year the one where they faced the Habs? The product on the ice is VASTLY different.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Hounsy

vCash: 559
Wilson's "we are not all that good" act likely is for the players consumption and consideration and not media/fans expectation management at all.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Frustrated Flyer Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
This is either one of the funniest or saddest threads I have ever seen.

You cannot seriously tell me Jason Blake had a two and a half minute shift, I think he's lucky if he gets that much ice time the entire game. heck, Ovechkin doesn't even take two and a half minute shifts, and he's a maniac. And a darn effective one at that.
Check out the shift chart. Blake had a 2:34 shift in the second period.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/TH020032.HTM

Old
10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Flyer Fan View Post
Check out the shift chart. Blake had a 2:34 shift in the second period.

http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/TH020032.HTM
Probably stayed on the ice for an entire powerplay + 0:34.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Out of 67 Leaf voters, 2 said he would make the team, and 8 said maybe. Leaf fans aren't wondering that, and we're not just some dumb fanbase who follows the medias every word.
Never said you were...I was just pointing out what media spin can do to fans

Old
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post
Two people were wondering that and even they thought it wasnt possible. This is just a foolish comment. Like how the media was continually comparing Price to Dryden and Roy during the playoffs last year...not general consensus.
Agreed...the media in Toronto AND Montreal tends to make players bigger than they actually are.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
...was the only Leafs game you watched this year the one where they faced the Habs? The product on the ice is VASTLY different.
No...and either way, I think the Leafs deserved a better fate in that game by the way.

I've watched most of the Leafs games this year...I think they're footspeed has improved with guys like Hagman, Grabovski, Kulemin and I love the Van Ryn addition (steal if he stays healthy) but I don't see much difference between this years team and last years team. The Leafs are exactly what I thought they are and were when they had Sundin, McCabe and Tucker...a bubble team.

I know everyone thought they'd be fighting for Tavares/Hedman because they lost Sundin and to a lesser extent McCabe/Tucker, but those are players who like I mentionned above, while being good players, were made to be much better than they are by the media in Toronto.

Unless a serious tank job takes place, I expect the Leafs to have the same type of year they had last

Old
10-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
No...and either way, I think the Leafs deserved a better fate in that game by the way.

I've watched most of the Leafs games this year...I think they're footspeed has improved with guys like Hagman, Grabovski, Kulemin and I love the Van Ryn addition (steal if he stays healthy) but I don't see much difference between this years team and last years team. The Leafs are exactly what I thought they are and were when they had Sundin, McCabe and Tucker...a bubble team.

I know everyone thought they'd be fighting for Tavares/Hedman because they lost Sundin and to a lesser extent McCabe/Tucker, but those are players who like I mentionned above, while being good players, were made to be much better than they are by the media in Toronto.

Unless a serious tank job takes place, I expect the Leafs to have the same type of year they had last
It's a little bit different though with this year's Leafs team, I believe. When healthy, I believe you are correct in the assertion that they're a bubble team. However, they're a bubble team when they're at their best and I think there's going to be a lot of rough times and good times. This team screams streaky. And if any injuries happen to any of their top players, they don't have the depth to replace them and maintain a winnable level of play.

I think this team will end up tanking because of the injury bug. Not because, when healthy, they stink because they're actually not that bad.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's a little bit different though with this year's Leafs team, I believe. When healthy, I believe you are correct in the assertion that they're a bubble team. However, they're a bubble team when they're at their best and I think there's going to be a lot of rough times and good times. This team screams streaky. And if any injuries happen to any of their top players, they don't have the depth to replace them and maintain a winnable level of play.

I think this team will end up tanking because of the injury bug. Not because, when healthy, they stink because they're actually not that bad.
I agree...I just can't stand this amazement by some people whenever the Leafs do anything good, as though they weren't meant to play in the NHL this year. Please! They're not very good, but they're not *that* bad.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

Great stuff. There's only 2 things I like about the Leafs and he's one of them.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I agree...I just can't stand this amazement by some people whenever the Leafs do anything good, as though they weren't meant to play in the NHL this year. Please! They're not very good, but they're not *that* bad.
Well, fans in general overrate their players and their accomplishments. That goes on everywhere. Fans just want some hope or something to hang their hat on. That's why you'll have fans of the Maple Leafs or Blackhawks come in here and tell the fans of teams who have never won the Cup to count their rings even though they probably weren't even alive for them. lol

Old
10-29-2008, 03:49 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
You know absolutely nothing about Ron Wilson if you think there's a single media outlet in the world that can "eat him alive." Frankly, he'll eat the Toronto media alive.

If you think Ron Wilson will have any trouble with the media, you obviously haven't followed him much. The guy eats reporters for dinner and ***** their stories out in the morning. I love his interviews.

He does have a nasty habit of deflecting blame for major losses on his players. It's no surprise Patrick Marleau is tearing up the ice after Wilson was fired; Wilson never liked him, and even though Marleau was made captain during Wilson's tenure, it was the veteran players during the 2003-04 season that pushed for it, not Wilson.
I find this funny coming from a guy that resides in California and obviously has no idea how brutal the Toronto media can be. "eat him alive" may be a bit much but this Toronto media can make the fans turn on a coach, GM, player, etc very quickly. Sure Wilson seems to have that "doesn't care" attitude with the media but that only lasts so long. He is still fairly new here in Toronto and I would like to see how he handles the situation after a couple of years missing the PO's.

Toronto media is very good at running people out of town, I doubt that would stop with Ron Wilson. I understand how he just doesn't give a **** but neither does the Toronto media.

Old
10-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
I find this funny coming from a guy that resides in California and obviously has no idea how brutal the Toronto media can be. "eat him alive" may be a bit much but this Toronto media can make the fans turn on a coach, GM, player, etc very quickly. Sure Wilson seems to have that "doesn't care" attitude with the media but that only lasts so long. He is still fairly new here in Toronto and I would like to see how he handles the situation after a couple of years missing the PO's.

Toronto media is very good at running people out of town, I doubt that would stop with Ron Wilson. I understand how he just doesn't give a **** but neither does the Toronto media.
I find it funny that someone is claiming a Californian is being ignorant to something while being ignorant to something in the issue at the same time. How are you going to chastise that poster for not knowing the "Toronto Media" when you yourself show no indication of knowledge about Ron Wilson?

And really, are we now going to sing the praises of how tough the media is? Really?

By the by, the "doesn't care" attitude that you see in Ron Wilson has been going on strong for the last 15 years. The Toronto media is not going to stop that and that hasn't stopped any media from running him out of town as this is now his fourth NHL stop. He's used to fans and media turning on him and he still doesn't give a damn. Don't expect the Toronto media to perform an attitude adjustment on Ron Wilson. It's not happening.

Old
10-29-2008, 04:21 PM
AlMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I find it funny that someone is claiming a Californian is being ignorant to something while being ignorant to something in the issue at the same time. How are you going to chastise that poster for not knowing the "Toronto Media" when you yourself show no indication of knowledge about Ron Wilson?

And really, are we now going to sing the praises of how tough the media is? Really?

By the by, the "doesn't care" attitude that you see in Ron Wilson has been going on strong for the last 15 years. The Toronto media is not going to stop that and that hasn't stopped any media from running him out of town as this is now his fourth NHL stop. He's used to fans and media turning on him and he still doesn't give a damn. Don't expect the Toronto media to perform an attitude adjustment on Ron Wilson. It's not happening.
Who said it would stop him? No one is going to make him change the kind of person he is they can just dictate how long he sticks around There is no ignorance whatsoever on my behalf. It's in the same light as yourself and the other poster saying "we don't know Ron Wilson". Claiming how some haven't followed him much also gives clear indication of his little knowledge of the "animal" we call the Toronto media. You can't even begin to compare the Toronto with Anahiem, Washington, San Jose and even team USA. I'm sure you would be lucky to fill a mini-van with the journalists covering hockey in those cities. You seem to think Toronto never had strong personalities here that were run out of town in a heartbeat. Burns and Quinn were both very experienced coaches who didn't take to much of liking towards the media and said what they wanted to say but when the media felt time was up, so were they.

I will agree that Ron Wilson personality can be entertaining at times and he may show a no holds barred and/or sarcastic approach towards the media but end the media will claim victory over any who passes through here. The media can be very persuasive here in Toronto. Every major sports network, paper, radio station, blog, etc.

I also am not saying how tough the media because I have never experienced it personally but I know there are tons of players, coaches, etc that can tell you that. Just ask Ron's old back up goalie, Vesa, how he felt when he played in his first pre-season game here in Toronto...overwhelmed would be quite the understatement. How bout Ron Wilson's reaction to pre-season losses and how he came out and told the media it's game that don't count.......if he didn't care he would have shrugged off rather than trying to justify a situation. Facing a room of 5 reporters and room of 50 or 60 is a completely different thing my friend. I know the Toronto Media much more than you know Ron Wilson.

Old
10-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMo View Post
Who said it would stop him? No one is going to make him change the kind of person he is they can just dictate how long he sticks around There is no ignorance whatsoever on my behalf. It's in the same light as yourself and the other poster saying "we don't know Ron Wilson". Claiming how some haven't followed him much also gives clear indication of his little knowledge of the "animal" we call the Toronto media. You can't even begin to compare the Toronto with Anahiem, Washington, San Jose and even team USA. I'm sure you would be lucky to fill a mini-van with the journalists covering hockey in those cities. You seem to think Toronto never had strong personalities here that were run out of town in a heartbeat. Burns and Quinn were both very experienced coaches who didn't take to much of liking towards the media and said what they wanted to say but when the media felt time was up, so were they.

I will agree that Ron Wilson personality can be entertaining at times and he may show a no holds barred and/or sarcastic approach towards the media but end the media will claim victory over any who passes through here. The media can be very persuasive here in Toronto. Every major sports network, paper, radio station, blog, etc.

I also am not saying how tough the media because I have never experienced it personally but I know there are tons of players, coaches, etc that can tell you that. Just ask Ron's old back up goalie, Vesa, how he felt when he played in his first pre-season game here in Toronto...overwhelmed would be quite the understatement. How bout Ron Wilson's reaction to pre-season losses and how he came out and told the media it's game that don't count.......if he didn't care he would have shrugged off rather than trying to justify a situation. Facing a room of 5 reporters and room of 50 or 60 is a completely different thing my friend. I know the Toronto Media much more than you know Ron Wilson.
You said it would stop him in your own post. You said that his attitude wouldn't last long. The point of contention is that it will last throughout his tenure with the Leafs. It has been with him since he has entered the coaching game in this league. So in reality, there's a lot of ignorance on your behalf because you believe something that just isn't reality.

Don't give me that crap that Californians can't possibly know anything about rabid media personalities. We're full of them...just because it may not have a thing to do with hockey doesn't mean people around here haven't had their share. There are many other things that go on here that get much more attention than hockey in Toronto that draws that kind of ire.

In terms of the Toronto media and Ron Wilson, give me a break. Ron Wilson has played there, even if it was a short stint, and has coached in this league a long time. He's definitely not of the personality like Pat Quinn or Pat Burns. The difference between those two and Ron Wilson is that Wilson relishes the banter and enjoys dishing out his sarcastic comments. He's not backing off who he is in this regard just because there are more people with a mic in his face. He's not the shy type.

Of course the media is going to proclaim victory because a coach's lifespan is very short in professional sports. You'd be a fool to think that the media and fans don't have a certain say in what happens with coaches. That happens everywhere.

As for the preseason comments, that's just another way for him to say he doesn't care. They didn't count and he knew that and that's why he said it. Ron Wilson's not going to shrug anyone off that asks him a question. He's always got something to say. Don't fool yourself into believing that Ron Wilson has no experience being in front of 50 reporters. It's not a daily occurrence, I'll give you that, but he's had his share and he's not backing off from who he is.

You may claim to know the Toronto media and even if you do as well as you do, it's still doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Everyone knows about how the media works in hotbeds regardless of what it's about. Get off your high horse.

Old
10-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Out of 67 Leaf voters, 2 said he would make the team, and 8 said maybe. Leaf fans aren't wondering that, and we're not just some dumb fanbase who follows the medias every word.
Could this be a sign?

Old
10-29-2008, 05:20 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Sometimes he's nice and blunt, nothing to hide. Sometimes he sounds like a total ass, trying his best to de-motivate the team.

Old
10-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Yeah, like one certain... we'll call him "Jean" to hide his identity... always gets upset when you criticize Kovalev. I'll paraphrase him:

"Even if Kovalev has no points and is -2 tonight, he was probably the player that TRIED the most hard and was our best player, so you ****"

That's the Montreal media for you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
Great stuff. There's only 2 things I like about the Leafs and he's one of them.
I'll bite... what's the second thing?

Old
10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Sometimes he's nice and blunt, nothing to hide. Sometimes he sounds like a total ass, trying his best to de-motivate the team.
Sounds like a less whiny Pat Quinn.

Old
10-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Flinch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead View Post
Two people were wondering that and even they thought it wasnt possible. This is just a foolish comment. Like how the media was continually comparing Price to Dryden and Roy during the playoffs last year...not general consensus.
Yeah, considering Price's nickname is 'Jesus Price' I can see how that is being totally blown out of proportion.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Yeah, considering Price's nickname is 'Jesus Price' I can see how that is being totally blown out of proportion.
It's just a play on his name, nothing more.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:06 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
It's just a play on his name, nothing more.
Humour is only for the strong.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:51 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
I like what he said about Stajan. To paraphrase:

"The guy went to the front of the net, and scored. Then he goes and spends the rest of the night behind the net. You'd think he would've thought 'Y'know? I went to the front of the net and got a goal, maybe I should try that again'. So we'll have to work on that with him."here.
No kidding.

Tonight he already has two goals halfway through the game from tip-ins right in front of the net.

Old
10-29-2008, 07:54 PM
SenorDingDong

Zubrus just got fingered!!!

Closed Thread