HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk, Gaborik, or Spezza?

Old
10-29-2008, 12:01 PM
Legs Feed the Wolf

vCash: 500
Kovalchuk, Gaborik, or Spezza?

Since alot of talk in this early NHL Season has our team involved around the kovalchuk/gaborik rumors, i was thinking would you take Jason Spezza? of course i would rather have a pure sniper like kovalchuk, but if he for some reason doesnt want to play for NY(he would probly would want to play in NY) or we cant give the thrashers what they want, what about making a move on Spezza? He is having some issues with Ottawa and he has stated a little while back, i think last year, he would play for the New York Rangers...

Reporter: "If you didn't play in Ottawa, where do you think you would have the best time being Jason Spezza, NHL star?"

Jason Spezza: "I think I would like to play in New York. It's a city I really like, there is so much going on, there are so many places to hide and do your own thing. Sometimes, the celebrity aspect is nice, but a lot of times it's nice to hide, too. So I think New York is a place where I'd love to play, and we play there a lot every year, so I go there quite a bit."

Reporter
: "So I guess Rangers fans have to wait seven years for you?"

Spezza: "[Laughs.] That's right."

Legs Feed the Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Levitate

Kovalchuk is definitely the best of the three...fills a need on wing.

I like Spezza but I don't think he helps the team as much as a really good winger would

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:06 PM
TheZherdev

Unfortunately were already stacked on centers. Only way id do it is if we traded included drury for him. But thats not going to happen with Dru's NMC.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The issue remains the same for all of them — fitting them in under the cap. I'd also say that Spezza doesn't fit a need — the Rangers are set at center.

10-29-2008, 12:18 PM
LamoTheKid

How about no to all 3?

We cant fit them and haven't we gotten away from this whole OMG BUY STARS attitude that doomed us for 7 years.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Abooch68

if the rangers or wings get to the finals this year than the cap will go up again def because of the increased revenue..im not saying that it wont if these teams dont make it but its a much greater chance

Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:22 PM
segmentation fault

We are doing fine as we are. Maybe if we were 2-9-1 instead of 9-2-1 we would be able to have this conversation.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:24 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
yea seriously that was 7 yrs of bad luck im telling u glen sather walked under a ladder or broke a mirror...and we cant go back to that. we cant fit either of the 3. and gaborik is always hurt.

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:29 PM
DontStepanMe

I trade Gomez or Drury for Spezza in a heartbeat.... but otherwise no as we have too many centers.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 12:37 PM
squishy

Can't afford any of them, so why bother getting your hopes up?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithChawwclateSawwce View Post
How about no to all 3?

We cant fit them and haven't we gotten away from this whole OMG BUY STARS attitude that doomed us for 7 years.
Gomez, Drury, Jagr? I don't think we've gotten away from it, I just think we are choosing the right stars to buy. Instead of Eric Lindros and Bobby Holik we are signing guys that are still in their prime. We only paid 4.5 mill for Jagr. Washington practically gave him to us. Then he ended up bringing our franchise back to respectability.

Out of the 3 I think that Kovalchuk would be the best fit here. He scores for an Atlanta team that is terrible. Spezza is a great great player but we already have three centers in our top 6. Gaborik worries me for some reason. Kovalchuk is 25 and has scored 146 goals and 261 points in three years. He would absolutely be worth the money because he would find a way to score.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:08 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
We are doing fine as we are. Maybe if we were 2-9-1 instead of 9-2-1 we would be able to have this conversation.
Not to be a downer but the competition we've faced compared with who philly had to face is ridiculous. I think it's obvious that we need a scorer to put us into an elite category. Right now we have to rely on Lundqvist and the defense to hold the opposing team to 0,1,2 goals so we have a chance. I wouldn't be content to stay still just because we jumped out to an early start.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Gaborik would definately help us but he is too injured.

Spezza while extremely talented is a center which we have too many of

Kovy would be the best bet for sure. He's young and I believe 24 or 25 and is already approaching 300 goals almost!

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The issue remains the same for all of them fitting them in under the cap. I'd also say that Spezza doesn't fit a need the Rangers are set at center.
SBOB, you summed it up perfectly.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Shake and Bake

well, who won when we played at filthy?

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyrvana View Post
Not to be a downer but the competition we've faced compared with who philly had to face is ridiculous. I think it's obvious that we need a scorer to put us into an elite category. Right now we have to rely on Lundqvist and the defense to hold the opposing team to 0,1,2 goals so we have a chance. I wouldn't be content to stay still just because we jumped out to an early start.
henrik lundqvist is one of the elite goalies in the league, and pretty much the face of this franchise, as the only truly elite player we have. also, we have a top d-corps with established quality defensemen like redden and rozsival, along with an elite defenseman in the making in staal, and very solid #3/4 defenseman in girardi, and guys like mara and kalinin, who fill their roles well, and provide steady play, for the most part.

we don't have elite forwards, but we have very good ones. we have above average forwards who, as a unit, should be able to score enough goals on most nights. generally speaking, no team in the league is totally set in every position (even detroit has its problems). if we play to our strengths, solid two way hockey, a quick transition, and not giving up many scoring chances, we have a chance to win every night.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
NHLsnipers

Im drooling over all three, but if I had to choose:

1. Kovy
2. Spezza
3. Gaborik

Spezza is my personal favorite but I think Kovalchuk has way more potential with the Rangers. He has never played with a decent center in his career. He has 60+ goal potential.

I dont see Spezza leaving Ott anytime soon though, so Kovy and Gaborik are our only realistic opportunities. What about picking one of them up for the playoff run?

If the Rangers really had a serious chance at any of the three, they would find room under the cap to make it work. It is good for the NHL for the Rangers to be good, so if it were a possibility, it could happen.

We could easily trade Prucha, Roszival, and one of our bottom forwards, and a pick for one of these three and a solid defensemen to replace Roszival.

It is possible!

Last edited by NHLsnipers: 10-29-2008 at 01:44 PM.
NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Not to be a downer but the competition we've faced compared with who philly had to face is ridiculous
Flyers:
NYR
MON
@ PITT
@ COL
@ SJ
SJ
@NJ
NJ
@ATL

Rangers:
@TB
TB
CHI
@ PHI
NJ
BUF
TOR
@ DET
DAL
@ CLB
PIT
@NYI

Is the level of competition all that different? To me, DAL and DET and cancel out the two games against SJ that the Flyers played. BUF cancels out MON. And the rest are pretty even (both played PIT and NJ. COL and CBJ are even. NYI and ATL are pretty even) You also can't discount the teams trip to Europe to start the season. If you want to give the Flyers a slight edge in competion, that's fine but the difference is hardly ridiculous.

Quote:
Right now we have to rely on Lundqvist and the defense to hold the opposing team to 0,1,2 goals so we have a chance.
So the Rangers have to play their system to win? Is that something that's unique to them?

Quote:
I wouldn't be content to stay still just because we jumped out to an early start.
They aren't a finished product. They have the chance to and should improve as they year goes along with guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Dawes all getting better.

And you can ask for an elite winger, but where is he coming from? How are you getting him? And probably first and foremost: how are you going to be able to fit him in under the cap?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:49 PM
NHLsnipers

I am really excited just at the thought of kovalchuk. He would fix everything. We already have the defense and goaltending. We just need another scoring threat and a someone to jumpstart the PP.

I say screw Gaborik now, let him go where he wants. Spezza isnt really an option. Then we wait until the trade deadline and make a serious run for Kovalchuk and let him do what Hossa did for the Penguins.

He would give us a serious chance at a cup and then we wait until the offseason to worry about the future with him.

At the deadline, we could find a way to move some prospects and some of the bottom forwards for him.

How does the cap work if we sign him with the season 7/8 completed at the deadline?

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Celestial Black

Easily Kovy...I have been saying that I want him on this team.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:18 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
we don't have elite forwards, but we have very good ones. we have above average forwards who, as a unit, should be able to score enough goals on most nights. generally speaking, no team in the league is totally set in every position (even detroit has its problems). if we play to our strengths, solid two way hockey, a quick transition, and not giving up many scoring chances, we have a chance to win every night.
Exactly. We might not have that 1 guy who can score all the time but we have a lot of guys who can score often. We would have to give some of that up for that true goal scorer, and to me its just a wash.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:19 PM
NYR Viper

kovalchuk to me is the by far the best option there.....
spezza would be an interesting fit but then the rangers have two pure playmakers and no finishers.....

note to everyone: if sather needed to move people in order to add a world-class talent like a kovalchuk im sure he would find a way

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:21 PM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
note to everyone: if sather needed to move people in order to add a world-class talent like a kovalchuk im sure he would find a way
But is it worth it?

Old
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
gravytrain6t

It doesn't necessarily have to be an all star sniper either. Like look at the Penguins. Who would have thought that picking up guys like Dupuis or Sykora and sticking them on lines with Crosby or Malkin would have been of such benefit. And plus, lets be careful who we're giving up. IDK if this Rangers team is Stanley Cup caliber or not yet. But back in 1994, I think everyone knew we were Cup material but still look at some of those trades. I felt bad for Gartner, who should have hoisted at least one stanley cup in his hall of fame career, epecially after all the scoring he did for the Rangers. We gave up two future stars In Doug Weight and Tony Amonte. We lost fan fav Tie Domi. And to this day, I still cant get over why in the world we would trade away Zubov. Anyway, there could be someone out there who might just click really well with Drury or Gomez or maybe fit perfectly on another line. I'm sure we all didn't think Avery was going to have such a major impact for us when we got him.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 02:59 PM
Nyrvana

Quote:
Flyers:
NYR
MON
@ PITT
@ COL
@ SJ
SJ
@NJ
NJ
@ATL

Rangers:
@TB
TB
CHI
@ PHI
NJ
BUF
TOR
@ DET
DAL
@ CLB
PIT
@NYI

Is the level of competition all that different? To me, DAL and DET and cancel out the two games against SJ that the Flyers played. BUF cancels out MON. And the rest are pretty even (both played PIT and NJ. COL and CBJ are even. NYI and ATL are pretty even) You also can't discount the teams trip to Europe to start the season. If you want to give the Flyers a slight edge in competion, that's fine but the difference is hardly ridiculous.
We've played 5 weak teams compared to their 1. Tampa Bay twice, Columbus, Islanders, and Toronto. My point wasn't that we haven't played difficult opponents, it was just that Philly hasn't played the easy ones yet. Plus a home and home with San Jose is pretty terrible. Our record and division lead should be taken with a grain of salt.

Quote:
So the Rangers have to play their system to win? Is that something that's unique to them?
Yes, I agree that we are primarily a defensive hockey team. My point here was that adding a player like Kovalchuk could make a huge difference for the team. Him scoring a goal that Callahan or Dawes usually wouldn't could be the difference between a win and a loss.

Quote:
They aren't a finished product. They have the chance to and should improve as they year goes along with guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Dawes all getting better.

And you can ask for an elite winger, but where is he coming from? How are you getting him? And probably first and foremost: how are you going to be able to fit him in under the cap?

They will all improve but you can't think that they will reach Kovalchuk levels by the end of the season. Adding Kovalchuk to developing players would make the Rangers an even greater team.

Obviously I don't have an exact answer for your last question. According to Nhlnumbers, Iyla's contract would be a 6.4 million cap hit. 7.5 salary overall. To make room, the rangers would have to get rid of prucha and rissmiller. Even then we have no where near the money. Unless Sather did some major tinkering like trading Rosy we wouldn't have the money. To actually acquire him we would have to offer a first round pick, and one or two (depending on the players) of these young guys with a lot of potential. The deal isn't likely but I was saying who I would like to have and why I think he could really help this team. I'm perfectly content with the team now and hoping that one of these younger guys becomes a finisher.

With that said next year 7 million is being taken off the cap just because Sather frontloaded some of the contracts. Example: Naslund 2 years 8 million - getting paid 5 this year - 3 next year ... 2 million off. Granted we have to sign a lot of guys that will be RFAs but with the added percentage the cap usually goes up we should have money to sign one of these guys.