HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming a Goalie?

Old
10-30-2008, 06:06 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Buy goalie skates. It's friggin impossible to do a quick slide and going to your knee on player skates. And if you get a puck on the skate... It will hurt unless they're reinforced, most pads don't cover the entire skate.

Playing hybrid/floppy goalie is amazingly fun, especially when you manage to do a weird save.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 01:54 PM
DinkusMaximus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
no, if he is going to just be playing a rec league its not worth buying goalie skates. i didnt used goalie skated teh first couple years i played goalie, mostly because they are expensive and i alreadu had skater skates. they offer a little more protection, but unless you turn your foot to make a save with the side of your skate it shouldnt be a problem. the shots that hit your toes sting like a ***** with either player skates or goalie skater, but hurt less with goalie skaters, still its not a big enough difference to invest in alot of extra money in goalie skates.
Sorry but this is bad advice IMO. Yes it's rec hockey, but sometimes you can face players with good shots even in rec hockey. Good players occasionally skate at lower level leagues, plus some of those guys who may not be very good still have decent shots. Goalie skates are completely different then players skates. They have a lower cut boot, offer far more protection with the plastic cowling, are sized differently, and have a completely different shaped blade. Players skates you want your toe just touching the front of the skate. Goalies skates you want a bit of room for your toe and they shouldn't be touching the front at all. With your toe up against the front of a skate without that protective cowling, alls it will take is one good shot from a guy with some muscle behind it and you'll end up with a broken toe. That's before you even get into the fact that goalie skates offer better balance. If you have already committed yourself from spending $600-$1000 to buy goalie gear, I don't see why paying $100-$200 for goalie skates is going to be that big of a deal. You can always find used skates on Ebay and all the major online hockey stores have older models on sale for cheap.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 04:57 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
Sorry but this is bad advice IMO. Yes it's rec hockey, but sometimes you can face players with good shots even in rec hockey. Good players occasionally skate at lower level leagues, plus some of those guys who may not be very good still have decent shots. Goalie skates are completely different then players skates. They have a lower cut boot, offer far more protection with the plastic cowling, are sized differently, and have a completely different shaped blade. Players skates you want your toe just touching the front of the skate. Goalies skates you want a bit of room for your toe and they shouldn't be touching the front at all. With your toe up against the front of a skate without that protective cowling, alls it will take is one good shot from a guy with some muscle behind it and you'll end up with a broken toe. That's before you even get into the fact that goalie skates offer better balance. If you have already committed yourself from spending $600-$1000 to buy goalie gear, I don't see why paying $100-$200 for goalie skates is going to be that big of a deal. You can always find used skates on Ebay and all the major online hockey stores have older models on sale for cheap.
dude, forget him skating better in them because its not going to happen the first 4 games he plays with them. he will skate worse

IF he decides he like playing goalie after a 4 or so games, THEN i would suggest getting them, i mean maybe he is rich and can afford to throw around 250$ for a pair of rental skates but if he doesnt then just use the skater skates. seriously, there is just as big a chance of you getting hit in a weird spot with no padding then there is getting hit in the toe with a really hard shot. and its not like the player skates are protective on the toe. and if he is playing butter fly, he wont get hit in the toe.

dont waste your money, use your skater skates then if you decide you want to play goalie in a semi-serious, moderately high level league, buy the skates

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

I broke three toes on my right foot wearing regular skates in goal. And I didn't turn my foot, either - it was a head-on shot.

Add me to the list of people who say that goalie skates are a must. Plus you're two inches closer to the ice on goalie skates, which is an advantage in and of itself.

And I also wouldn't recommend picking a "style" first. If you go into a game saying that you're a "butterfly goalie", then you're going to try to use the butterfly technique much more often than you should. See the shot and then react - don't plan in advance what you're going to do once the shot is taken.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
I'm pretty sure 12" are also illegal in ACHA also
ACHA (American Collegiate Hockey Association) is NCAA hockey. The ACHA is the governing body for NCAA D3 thru D1.

The bottom line for goal gear is that your going to have to spend money. If doing so puts a bind on your budget then one should reconsider. Safety first....

Goal skates...a must have above the mite level. Additionaly, player skate blades bend from puck impacts much easier. Your likely to increase your costs by starting with a player skate, to see it get ruined and then have to rush out and get goalers.

Do not worry about style. Learn the basics of movement (shuffles, Pivots, C-cuts and T-push), stance (skates slightly more than shoulder width apart, knees bent and slightly pulled inward, Toes, knees and shoulders viwed from side should forma a slightly forward leaning line) and positioning. build from there learning the different save selections available. IF you can be in the right place at the right time, ready to make the save...you will.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2008, 06:43 PM
metalan2

Quote:
I can't even imagine playing without goalie skates.
I used to when I started at 6 years old.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:41 PM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
dude, forget him skating better in them because its not going to happen the first 4 games he plays with them. he will skate worse

IF he decides he like playing goalie after a 4 or so games, THEN i would suggest getting them, i mean maybe he is rich and can afford to throw around 250$ for a pair of rental skates but if he doesnt then just use the skater skates. seriously, there is just as big a chance of you getting hit in a weird spot with no padding then there is getting hit in the toe with a really hard shot. and its not like the player skates are protective on the toe. and if he is playing butter fly, he wont get hit in the toe.

dont waste your money, use your skater skates then if you decide you want to play goalie in a semi-serious, moderately high level league, buy the skates
Sorry but your advice is poor and no one agrees with it. Goalie skates won't make him a fantastic skater, but it will improve his balance the very first time he wears them. Crouching down and trying to react to shots you aren't accustomed to is going to be much easier on a flatter blade then on a highly arched one. That is just simple logic. Not to mention his mobility will be improved with a shorter boot. Trying to go down in players skates is uncomfortable. You also don't have to be rich to realize if you're spending $800+ on goalie gear you're already making a big financial commitment and another $150 to ensure you're properly protected only makes sense. Why would you even question making the commitment of buying skates after you already spent all that money on pads?

Old
10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
Sorry but your advice is poor and no one agrees with it. Goalie skates won't make him a fantastic skater, but it will improve his balance the very first time he wears them. Crouching down and trying to react to shots you aren't accustomed to is going to be much easier on a flatter blade then on a highly arched one. That is just simple logic. Not to mention his mobility will be improved with a shorter boot. Trying to go down in players skates is uncomfortable. You also don't have to be rich to realize if you're spending $800+ on goalie gear you're already making a big financial commitment and another $150 to ensure you're properly protected only makes sense. Why would you even question making the commitment of buying skates after you already spent all that money on pads?
obviously not everyone disagrees with me because others have also played goalie when they firsrt started without goalie skates. i guess you decided not to read that. i can guarantee that he wont skate better or be more balanced the first time he plays goal with goalie skates. do you think every goalie ever wore goalie skates? its not that important if you are just trying out as a goalie, there is not a bigger chacne of you getting hit in a weird spot on your foot than there is anywhere else. it may sting if he gets hit in the toe by a decent slap shot, ive gotten hit in the toe before with out goalie skates by a decent shot and it stung, but i was fine.

ive been telling him not to buy expensive goalie gear he doesnt need until he is sure he is going to play. you are talking like he is going to play in the NHL, hes not, from the sounds of it, its a beer league. like him having "better balance" will really help him in a beer league the first time he ever plays goalie with goalie skates. he will have alot more to figure out than just the skates.

i would advise anyone just starting out as a goalie, unsure if they will like it, not playing in a serious league, NOT to buy goalie skates until they are completley sure because they could end up being a bigger waste of money.

Old
10-31-2008, 06:30 PM
MikeD

you sure can advise it but there is always the option of used goalers. Like it or not it IS poor advice. It is much more difficult to play goal in a skate with a player rocker. It is also much harder to regain an edge for any lateral drive once down on the ice (much more knee lift required) and with such a small portion of the blade in contact with the ice a major slip out is more likely.

Because one guy jumps off a bridge doesnt make it a good idea for anyone else...
Your advice puts the guy in the same undue risk you took when doing something so foolish.

Old
10-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
you sure can advise it but there is always the option of used goalers. Like it or not it IS poor advice. It is much more difficult to play goal in a skate with a player rocker. It is also much harder to regain an edge for any lateral drive once down on the ice (much more knee lift required) and with such a small portion of the blade in contact with the ice a major slip out is more likely.

Because one guy jumps off a bridge doesnt make it a good idea for anyone else...
Your advice puts the guy in the same undue risk you took when doing something so foolish.
pretty terrible analogy, unless not wearing goalie skates can be compared to suicide. and do you think he will skate better the first time he plays in all the goalie gear and goalie skates? no he wont. they wont make a difference until he gets used to them and by then he may decide he doesbnt want to stay goalie

Old
10-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
obviously not everyone disagrees with me because others have also played goalie when they firsrt started without goalie skates. i guess you decided not to read that. i can guarantee that he wont skate better or be more balanced the first time he plays goal with goalie skates. do you think every goalie ever wore goalie skates? its not that important if you are just trying out as a goalie, there is not a bigger chacne of you getting hit in a weird spot on your foot than there is anywhere else. it may sting if he gets hit in the toe by a decent slap shot, ive gotten hit in the toe before with out goalie skates by a decent shot and it stung, but i was fine.

ive been telling him not to buy expensive goalie gear he doesnt need until he is sure he is going to play. you are talking like he is going to play in the NHL, hes not, from the sounds of it, its a beer league. like him having "better balance" will really help him in a beer league the first time he ever plays goalie with goalie skates. he will have alot more to figure out than just the skates.

i would advise anyone just starting out as a goalie, unsure if they will like it, not playing in a serious league, NOT to buy goalie skates until they are completley sure because they could end up being a bigger waste of money.
The thing is, even if its not a serious league there is still an injury issue in play.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
The thing is, even if its not a serious league there is still an injury issue in play.
there really isnt, only direct shots to the toe from a really hard shot and like i said unless he is playing a stand up style that probably wont happem, or if he for some reason he turns his leg and gets hit near the ankle. i think people are forgetting that the pads really cover the foot pretty well except in c ouple spots where the goalie skate covers. but i play 2 years with skater skates, i played against some pretty hard shots, probably only 1 or 2 hit my toes after hundreds of shots. he is only goin to play a few games then decide

Old
10-31-2008, 06:58 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
there really isnt, only direct shots to the toe from a really hard shot and like i said unless he is playing a stand up style that probably wont happem, or if he for some reason he turns his leg and gets hit near the ankle. i think people are forgetting that the pads really cover the foot pretty well except in c ouple spots where the goalie skate covers. but i play 2 years with skater skates, i played against some pretty hard shots, probably only 1 or 2 hit my toes after hundreds of shots. he is only goin to play a few games then decide
Well, me personally, I wouldn't risk it. With someone new you don't know what type of style they may play which could expose their toes and such and we don't know if he is using newer pads or older pads.

Old
10-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Well, me personally, I wouldn't risk it. With someone new you don't know what type of style they may play which could expose their toes and such and we don't know if he is using newer pads or older pads.
alright i can understand that

Old
10-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
alright i can understand that
Yea that was my biggest concern, if he tried to do a toes-up style with forward skates, it might not end well.

Old
10-31-2008, 07:14 PM
the_pen_is_mightier

Quote:

It only takes ONE shot to do some serious damage. For all you know, the very first shot he faces might be the one.
If the two skate types were only different in performance (such as wood sticks vs. composite), then by all means, use what you've got if you really want to. But the protection alone should be enough to convince someone to buy even used goalie skates.

To the OP - buy goalie skates. Other than that, the things that you really shouldn't cheap out on are:

-Mask: don't get a combo (helmet + cage), please. Masks deflect pucks instead of absorbing the impact on a flat spot. I've been a goalie my whole life, and have seen what one shot can do to someone who wears cheap head gear.
-Monkey suit: try to pick up a used one, as new ones are pretty expensive. IMO, nothing beats a Brown. They're tanks, and last a long time. A ton of NHLers used them too.
-Jock (no explanation needed)

Here's the other board that I'm part of:

http://www.goaliestore.com/

You'll get more info there than anywhere on HF. All the members are goalies, and many still play at very high levels. There are even some goalie coaches and goalie equipment manufacturers that post regularly.

Cheers!

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

dude there is just as big a risk, if not bigger, if him getting hit in a spot on his arm because he moves his arm the wrong way and his pad shifts, should he wear a full body suit?i dont know when goalie skates were invented but do you think that ALL goalies EVERY wore goalie skates? no they didnt and they played against much better people thna a beer league

Old
10-31-2008, 07:52 PM
MikeD

Gunner,
You might as well be telling him that a player jock is sufficient until he decides if he likes the position. In my post above it wasnt an analogy. Its a fig. of speech.
Bottom line is that you were foolish to put yourself at risk with out goal skates and it is just as foolish to tell another to do the same.
Even in beer league, an injury doesnt just take you out of the game. It takes you out of WORK. With out a good insurance policy, the bank account suffers and along with that your family. Just understand that your advice can have positive or negative impact on a person. How would you feel should the guy follow said advice and then get hurt, costing him his income, costing his wife and kids? Some of us have many others who DEPEND and RELY on us every single day. We owe it to others that we use good judgement in the advice we offer to newbies. Put yourself in the other persons shoes.....

Old
10-31-2008, 07:58 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Do you know what model player skates he has? What the rigidity of the boot is? How old or broken down that boot might be? You making a lot of assumptions with out any background info. Regardless, I would NOT go in net with the best boot offered to out players. Its still not enough protection even from a slow 70 mph shot....

Last edited by MikeD: 11-01-2008 at 12:31 AM.
Old
10-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

whatever man, agree to disagree, i dont feel like arguing any more. we arent getting anywhere. im still going to recommend trying with skater skates first

Old
11-01-2008, 12:33 AM
MikeD

IN other words...you dont give a rats ass if your poor advice leads another into an injury... OK

Old
11-01-2008, 12:38 AM
MikeD

Quote:
dude there is just as big a risk, if not bigger, if him getting hit in a spot on his arm because he moves his arm the wrong way and his pad shifts, should he wear a full body suit?i dont know when goalie skates were invented but do you think that ALL goalies EVERY wore goalie skates? no they didnt and they played against much better people thna a beer league
Skates started out flat with no rocker. Goalies have always been on a flat blade(until Popa). Players, having a difficult time beating the skilled goalie, decided to try a rocker to get more speed and agility. They are still looking for an extra edge...lol BUt yeah, until plastics came along the cowling wasnt a part of the boot.

Old
11-01-2008, 01:38 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

in other words if my friend went up to me and said " hey, im trying out goalie in a mens league, should i buy goalie skates? i would say "no dont buy them until you know you like playing goalie and then buy them because they are expensive". and if he asks, "but dont goalie skates offer better protection and better balance along with other things?" i would say "yes, they do but you wont be able to skate in all the equipment when you first start playing anyway and you will have an even harder time getting used to the longer blade and by the time you do get used to it, you may realize you dont like goalie" and then he will ask "what about the whole protecting thing" and i would say "dont be a *****, alot of people dont wear goalie skates when they first start playing and if you play the right way, your chances of getting hit in a weird spot are no great than getting hit in a weird spot any where else."

like you just said, its not like every goalie in history played with goalie skates, and did they all break their feet and toes? no they didnt, plus that is a much bigger scale. not to mention skater skates now offer much more protection than any skate made back then. i cant believe you are making such a big deal out of this, its not like i told him to wear bicycle helmet

Old
11-01-2008, 11:39 AM
DinkusMaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pen_is_mightier View Post

Here's the other board that I'm part of:

http://www.goaliestore.com/

You'll get more info there than anywhere on HF. All the members are goalies, and many still play at very high levels. There are even some goalie coaches and goalie equipment manufacturers that post regularly.

Cheers!
Yeah, the GSBB is a good board! I've been a member there for quite a while and I believe Mike D is as well. As for my background, when I was younger, I used to go up to Canada and play in Okanagan every summer. While I was up there I had an early opportunity to play with a lot of juniors and pros. I played with Trevor Linden, Jeff O'Neil, a few of the Dineens, Troy Gamble, Andy Moog, etc. I played quite competitively till college when I had a major knee problem that damaged a ligament. I had the knee operated on, but it never was the same again. In fact I still have problems with it. Now a days I just play locally when I'm home and I occasionally coach younger goalies when I have the time. My job keeps me on the road a lot so it's difficult to commit. I also have worked in the field for the past 5 years on the marketing/advertising end.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
like you just said, its not like every goalie in history played with goalie skates, and did they all break their feet and toes? no they didnt, plus that is a much bigger scale. not to mention skater skates now offer much more protection than any skate made back then. i cant believe you are making such a big deal out of this, its not like i told him to wear bicycle helmet
I can't tell you exactly when goalie skates were invented, but Roy Worters and Clint Benedict were wearing them in the 1920s. Before that, goalies wore cricket pads instead of leg pads - would you suggest that a new goaltender today wear cricket pads?

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote