HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming a Goalie?

Old
11-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
I can't tell you exactly when goalie skates were invented, but Roy Worters and Clint Benedict were wearing them in the 1920s. Before that, goalies wore cricket pads instead of leg pads - would you suggest that a new goaltender today wear cricket pads?
they werent protective goalie skates according to what MikeD said, and let me ask you this, were those goalie skates they used in the 1920s MORE protective than skater skates now????

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
they werent protective goalie skates according to what MikeD said, and let me ask you this, were those goalie skates they used in the 1920s MORE protective than skater skates now????
Probably not. And they didn't have to be.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:51 AM
68*

Quote:
Yes, because the shots goalies faced in 1920 were EXACTLY the same as the shots we face today. /rolleyes

They didn't wear masks either, should a new goalie play without a helmet until he decides he wants to play? After all a mask is a pretty big investment.

68* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
Probably not. And they didn't have to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 View Post
Yes, because the shots goalies faced in 1920 were EXACTLY the same as the shots we face today. /rolleyes

They didn't wear masks either, should a new goalie play without a helmet until he decides he wants to play? After all a mask is a pretty big investment.
you guys make the most illogical comparisons, he isnt playing in the nhl, its a rec league, and it sounds like a pretty layed back one seeinh how their goalie dont show up often. i guess all you guys play in the chl or better. have you never had a guy to just spur of thr moment decide to play goalie? i have all thr time for my mens league. do you think he runs out and buys goalie skates because they give him better balance and more protection from a bunch of mens leaguers? you guys are acting like he is playing for a pro team.

i can guarantee the 1920s players had harder shots the mens league players nowadays, oh but i forgot they used tennis balls back then

i was just a practice for a varsity team and one of the goalies was wearing skater skates because he plays forward for the jv team, guess what, he didnt break a foot lucky *******, he sure dodged a bullet

Old
11-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
Fine - be as absurd as you want to be, and stretch everyone else's arguments as far as you think you can stretch them. And give people whatever advice you want to.

I'm telling people to wear goalie skates.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

aswesome, but i didnt stretch anyones arguments anymore than they altered mine to look bad

and im still going to tell goalies, just starting, unsure if they want to play goalie, not playing in a serious league NOT to buy goalie skates, until they are sure

i didnt realize i was such a tough guy when i was a kid, i didnt wear goalie skates for 2 years when i was 12-14. wow i guess im a badass since no other goalie DARE to touch the ice without goalie skates, or maybe it was because they cost 500$ ontop of all the other extremely expensive equipment, but probably the former.....

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 11-02-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old
11-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Hounsy

vCash: 572
I firmly believe actual goalie skates enhance the experience in net both in protection and playability. But I can appreciate and agree with the argument of spending money on an experiment so buy some super cheap clearance skates or some decent used ones on Ebay and if it doesn't work out flip them back on E-bay. I know I'm repeating myself but things seem a little worked up for what should be a more simple call.

If after a year or two and you assimilate into the goalie world then you can go out and buy top of the line Grafs for your feet.

Hounsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:50 AM
the_pen_is_mightier

Quote:
aswesome, but i didnt stretch anyones arguments anymore than they altered mine to look bad

and im still going to tell goalies, just starting, unsure if they want to play goalie, not playing in a serious league NOT to buy goalie skates, until they are sure

i didnt realize i was such a tough guy when i was a kid, i didnt wear goalie skates for 2 years when i was 12-14. wow i guess im a badass since no other goalie DARE to touch the ice without goalie skates, or maybe it was because they cost 500$ ontop of all the other extremely expensive equipment, but probably the former.....
Tough guys don't wear visors either ... until they get an eye injury.

Every sport begins as an experiment, but that does not mean that we should advise cutting corners for the sake of saving money, especially when there is even a hint of increased risk.

Wear the proper gear. If you can't afford it, then save up for it. Even with the proper gear, you will still get stung, so why not minimize the risk and the severity if you can?

Also, most goalies in non-"serious" leagues still wear the proper equipment. They are the ones most at risk because they have not yet adapted to the position. How many times have you seen a newbie take a shot without being completely square? TONS!!! If the OP really wants to have a good experience, and give goaltending a fair shot, then he should be allowed to enjoy experimenting with his style, and concentrate on stopping pucks, without fear that he isn't properly protected.

the_pen_is_mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

im done with the arguement. ive been going at it for 3 days, im tired of the non parrallel camparisons and im tired of saying what ive already said 3 times to 3 other people. bottom line, noone changed my opinion

Old
11-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Chootoi

if you just have regular pants you can use them. you don't NEED goalie pants (although recommended), but if you wear regular pants i would recommend getting some extra padding sewn in on the insides of the thighs. also in the front pelvic area (below the chest protector but above the cup). that's what i did with my first pair and they worked just fine until i outgrew them. shots to the 5 hole can really sting there with no padding.

also if you're playing in a rec league i would 100% recommend having one of those plastic throat guards on your helmet/mask. alot of leagues have them mandatory but even if it isn't, use one. you feel alot more mobile without one but it's not worth it. you should get used to it. most rec leagues are full of half talented guys who like to take big wind ups but don't really know how to shoot. when you get one of many shots in the neck you'll be happy you have it. it will likely still sting but you'll be alive.

as far as technique goes, the 3 major things to practice are T-pushes (where you put one foot perpendicular to the other and push with the opposite leg), telescoping (which are like C-pushes where you push your skates out and bring them back in one at a time to move backward and forward), and practice gettingup with the correct leg. when you go down in a butterfly for instance and want to move to your right, you stay down, dig in with your left leg and push to the right. you would use the right leg to push to your left.

the rest will start to come naturally.

Last edited by Chootoi: 11-07-2008 at 01:13 PM.
Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:51 PM
psukan

Awesome info guys! One question about gloves/blockers. What is the difference between "full" and "regular"? I see on goaliemonkey that they use these terms so I am a bit curious.

psukan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:23 PM
joe081484

Full right the glove is on the right hand and the blocker on the left.

Regular is just the opposite, I think regular is much more common...

As for trying to play goalie, I've recently given it a try when we are short a goalie in our pick up games, luckily I have a friend who plays goalie so I was able to borrow his gear to give it a try.

Goalie skates do feel werid the first time you skate in them because they are so flat. If your not careful its easy to fall trying to make a quick turn while playing the puck so keep that in mind. I think the extra mobility in net and added protection is def worth wearing them, we have a couple guys who have some cannons for shots and I wasn't about to take one of them off the toe.

If you really want to give it a try see if one of the regular goalies for your pickup would let you borrow their gear or offer to let them skate out and you'll play net. Obv you'd have to be similar size build but it would be a much cheaper way to give it a shot.

For me the hardest part of playing net is not the long slappers they are pretty easy, its the low shots right in front of me. It can be fustrating knowing where the puck is going but not being able to get your body/ gear in the right spot to stop it. Take it all in stride and good luck.

joe081484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:50 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I am right handed and as a skater (or mostly in other stick sports...) I've always been a righty... But as a goalie I am more comfortable with the stick in my right hand, because it's my better hand. The difficult thing is learning to do a hard, accurate pass with a lefty stick... but I flip the stick over and do a righty pass with a lefty stick. works alright

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 08:22 AM
densetsu

Yep, "full" = "full right" = catching with your right hand. "regular" = catching with your left hand.

Most people in baseball catch with their left, throw with their right, myself included. So while the catching techniques are different, it's still the hand I'm used to using. I also shoot left in hockey. So it really wasn't a choice with me, I'm "regular".

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
beardedgraf

id get the goalie pants, i played in net a couple times at drop in just for kicks and wore my forward breezers the first time. i didnt like it at all they were too long and not comfortable, the thigh protection on goalie pants is much better as well

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 05:37 PM
MikeD

Stopping those in close low shots....

It all begins with the fundamentals of stance. Good knee bend, chest angle at a 90 degree angle to the puck location, feet slightly more than shoulder width apart or more, toes, knees and shoulders forming a slightly forward leaning line.

Skilled goalies do not drop into a butterfly simply letting gravity do its thing. Most have heard the concept "drive to your knees". Watch any skilled goalie perform a butterfly, paying attention to the top of their head. You will notice that while the knees may drop a distance of 16-18", their head will only drop 1/4 of that.

The intial movement is to bring the knees together. This brings you onto the extreme inside edge of your blades. The knees begin to move downward as the goalie OPENS up at the waist. Like a pocket knife opening, the knees are driven downward rapidly. Consider the motion of standing up out of a chair. Your head is driven upward as the body opens up at the waist. This same concept applis to dropping into a butterfly but driving the lower body downward. That is how you will see the best goalies actually getting the five hole slammed shut faster than what gravity alone will allow.

One thing to be avoided is hopping off the skates when you do drop. Not only does it open the entire ice surface for the puck, it eliminates your abilty to drive the knees, slowing your downward movement. Another is having the pads to tightly secured to the front of the skate. When you do get onto that extreme inside edge of the blade, your pads toutch the ice surface. If the pad does not slide over the top of the skate, it lifts your blade free of the ice. You want the cowling of your skate to be the fulcrom point that lifts the blade free. Notice in the below picture how the pad has slid over instead of lifting the blade free of the ice, letting the cowling contact the ice. This is another feature that player skates do not have. That friction between the pad and skate will wear at the liner of the skate channel of your pads.

That 1-1.5 inches of slack allows this to happen. Longer blade contact for lateral drive, great ability to drive downward to slam that five shut and reduced knee lift needed to regain a blade edge from a down position.

Last edited by MikeD: 11-12-2008 at 06:02 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2009, 11:55 PM
Homer J Fong

Goal skates are a must in my opinion, they give you better mobility in the crease and offer way more protection, they didn't take too long to adjust to for me and now i have no problems switching back and forth. Its something that will just take some getting used to but i would recommend that you invest in goal skates if you are going to play.

Homer J Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 04:27 PM
mr larson

Hey guys, I am playing goalie this weekend for my Men's League team. I used to play goalie once in a while (not on ice, roller) as a kid and have played once a few years back (on regular player skates). Just wondering if you have any tips for when I take the ice in net this weekend, I'll also be wearing our regular goalies equipment for the game.. I should probably stay away from wearing goalie skates?

mr larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Hamilton35

I had a buddy wear my gear when I was out of town last weekend. He wore it on the outdoor rinks a couple times before because we knew I was gone. first time he wore player skates. Second time he wore my goalie skates. For the game, wore my goalie skates. If you arent skating on them first, it would be rough but he said he would never wear player skates for goalie again. way off balance.

I am not saying, I am just saying.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witter19 View Post
Hey guys, I am playing goalie this weekend for my Men's League team. I used to play goalie once in a while (not on ice, roller) as a kid and have played once a few years back (on regular player skates). Just wondering if you have any tips for when I take the ice in net this weekend, I'll also be wearing our regular goalies equipment for the game.. I should probably stay away from wearing goalie skates?
oh boy. this was discussed EXTENSIVELY in this thread. most will tell you to wear/buy them

my advice, if you dont have them, dont buy them just to play for a rec league every once in a while. if you have them AND ARE USED TO THEM wear them.

Old
02-26-2009, 08:55 PM
Hamilton35

For playing once, dont need em. But if the skates fit I say try em.

Hamilton35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 12:03 AM
greyraven8

here's my 2 cents worth.

i didn't start playing any goal until my 20's and playing 'pickup' and occasionally beer league goal. bought a set of equipment that was in the local paper when i started; have upgraded over the years.

you do not need a mask. helmet with goalie cage is good enough. i have a regular jofa helmet with a cooper goalie cage (goes around the ear area and has a hinged neck protector - similar to a dangler on a mask). the model i have is a cooper GL 100L. i had a regular players helmet and cage when i started, but one game got a puck in the ear when i got an unexpected shot from a bad angle.

you could try borrowing goal equipment at first, but you'll probably soon want to have your own. ask some of the goalies you play with if they have any extra equipment they want to sell. look at your local hockey arenas for ads for goalie equipment - mine seems to have many ads , especially for pads. check your local paper or the internet - kijiji and the like especially in the beginning of hockey season. ebay is an option, but always consider the shipping cost when bidding - a set of goalie equipment weighs a ton. your local 'play-it-again' or other used sports store could be another option.

recommend getting goalie skates if you can. getting used to them will take a while; the blades are a lot flatter than players skates. go to a local hockey shop where they know how to sharpen goalie skates - even then if they sharpen them too much you may have to dull them up a bit by running your skates across the wooden bench otherwise it will seem like you are skating on train tracks.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 01:32 AM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
you do not need a mask. helmet with goalie cage is good enough.
I strongly disagree with this. It simply isn't worth the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyraven8 View Post
recommend getting goalie skates if you can. getting used to them will take a while; the blades are a lot flatter than players skates. go to a local hockey shop where they know how to sharpen goalie skates - even then if they sharpen them too much you may have to dull them up a bit by running your skates across the wooden bench otherwise it will seem like you are skating on train tracks.
Yeah...If you're going from player skates to goalie skates (or vice versa) its a bit of a transition. I -think- most shops sharpen goalie skates at 1" hollow if you don't tell them otherwise. I'd start with 3/4 and go from there.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
mr larson

Cool thanks for the info, I guess I was most torn on whether to wear his goalie skates for the game or just use my own player skates, I think I'm just gonna wear my own player skates since I won't have time to practice other warm-ups on goalie skates, so don't want to take any chances there really..

mr larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:52 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
I strongly disagree with this. It simply isn't worth the risk.

Yeah...If you're going from player skates to goalie skates (or vice versa) its a bit of a transition. I -think- most shops sharpen goalie skates at 1" hollow if you don't tell them otherwise. I'd start with 3/4 and go from there.
yea i wouldnt reccomend using a player helmet. i have in teh past but that was when i first starting playing goalie and i was like 10. but the troat protection is not even close to adequate

where we all these people when this thread first started to back me up when i said it wasnt necessary to wear goalie skates in a rec league?