HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Becoming a Goalie?

Old
02-27-2009, 01:03 PM
pcgflyers12*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Really? I'd buy goalie skates for protection and mobility.
+1. player skates have two high of ankle supports for me. i have played goalie before and i would rather have goalie skates.

pcgflyers12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:53 PM
DevsFan84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
where we all these people when this thread first started to back me up when i said it wasnt necessary to wear goalie skates in a rec league?
Heh, I guess I missed this thread way back when. I duno, around here you get players of all different calibers. I play opens with some guys who played minor league and college hockey all the time. Besides the mobility issues, I've had stingers through my goalie skates after taking some of their shots off the cowling. My point is that even some rec guys have a hard enough shot to do some damage.

Again, just isn't worth the risk.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 01:33 AM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Heh, I guess I missed this thread way back when. I duno, around here you get players of all different calibers. I play opens with some guys who played minor league and college hockey all the time. Besides the mobility issues, I've had stingers through my goalie skates after taking some of their shots off the cowling. My point is that even some rec guys have a hard enough shot to do some damage.

Again, just isn't worth the risk.
Yeah I have been hit in the toe just playing D and I wished I had goalie skates on at that moment.

My son plays goal in a house league (7 and 8 year olds) and I got him goalie skates right away.
I think only a fool would risk a foot injury like what you can get from not having the right protective equipment while playing net (it's just a game).

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 02:03 PM
greyraven8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
yea i wouldnt reccomend using a player helmet. i have in teh past but that was when i first starting playing goalie and i was like 10. but the troat protection is not even close to adequate

where we all these people when this thread first started to back me up when i said it wasnt necessary to wear goalie skates in a rec league?
wasn't suggesting just a players helmet with a regular cage. would suggest a goalie cage with a 'dangler' as part of it or one attached - also should wear throat collar.

playing oldtimers hockey - if expense is an issue besides buying all used equipment (except for jock - get new goalie one), a good way to cut some cost is not getting a mask.

many goalies in the nhl in the past couple decades used a helmet/cage. soderstrom, irbe, hasek (used to), and more recently osgood come to mind.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote