HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

PART 2 -- #60 -- Canadiens at Flyers -- February 27, 2009

Old
02-27-2009, 10:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
PART 2 -- #60 -- Canadiens at Flyers -- February 27, 2009

Part two is now open.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Death of a Martian

vCash: 500
0/9 on the Power Play is unacceptable.

We're lucky we got the 1 point.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Niitty didn't let in a goal with the white mask... hmmm...

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Black Ice

Yeah, all things considered we were lucky to get that point.
I hope that Richie's shoulder isn't too bad.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:47 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
He wore it for about 7 minutes and faced maybe 5 shots.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:48 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
what?
did I miss something with Richards shoulder?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:50 PM
mm6492

Richards seemed ok. Was stretching on teh bench, then went back out

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
He didn't let in a goal after letting in the two weak goals. I was convinced they were going to pull him, but they did not and I can't say that they were wrong in leaving him in. He still have the team a chance to win.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
He didn't let in a goal after letting in the two weak goals. I was convinced they were going to pull him, but they did not and I can't say that they were wrong in leaving him in. He still have the team a chance to win.
I was convinced it was a mistake for leaving him in and I thought there was a chance we were gonna get run out of the building after the 1st.
I was wrong.

Old
02-27-2009, 10:56 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1476
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...x0hzAXpCb14%3D
Quote:

"Somebody decided we were going to play some river hockey and it didn't suit us very well," Stevens said. "I'd need a long sheet of paper to list the things we did poorly. Guys at the end of shifts trying to beat guys one on four. Not getting the puck deep. Being soft on pucks."

"It was not good at all, agreed Richards. "We thought it was going to be an easy game after the quick start."

When Alex Kovalev made it 3-2 on a wrist shot that hit Niittymaki in the right shoulder and bounced over the goal line, fans had to question John Stevens' decision to start Niittymaki over Marty Biron.

After all, Biron had a career record of 13-8-0 against the Canadiens with a 2.22 GAA and a .922 save percentage, compared to Niittymaki's career record of 1-8-0 with a 3.30 GAA and .880 save percentage.

Regardless, Stevens stuck with Niittymaki and the 28-year-old Finn rewarded him with two scoreless periods.

"If it wasn't for Niitty in the first 10 minutes we would have been down 5-2 instead of 3-2," Stevens said. "I thought he deserved a chance to stay in and fight for the win."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
phlacheesesteak

**** the habs, heres what i think of tonight:

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:01 PM
mm6492

After those crappy goals, I stated he would have a shut out the rest of the way. He seemed to get way more focused, and was pissed off. He was not gonna let in another easy one.

Unfortunately they scored in OT, but he played well

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I can accept the Kovalev goal that flipped up off of his chest. It was bad positioning, and I suppose those things happen from time to time.

The second goal was the killer. I can understand being a little unsure after failing to make a clean snag... but, after Biron's field trip to the top of the circle, I thought it would be a long time until we saw a Flyers goalie leave the net in a panic.

Essentially, if a Philadelphia goalie never skated from the net this month, we'd probably have more points right now.

Old
02-27-2009, 11:08 PM
BerubeBox*

Man what a disappointment. Worst powerplay I've seen all year. There were so many other things wrong with that game I don't even want to bother.

I can't believe some people were comparing Lupul to Crosby. Lupul put his head back for maybe 1.5 seconds. That's all. Was he drawing it out a little to make sure the refs noticed it? Maybe. There's one way to find out. Let me pop you right in the mouth with a crosscheck, we'll see if it stuns you or not.

And if it had happened to Crosby, he would have done a somersault. Maybe two.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:12 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Per TSN:

Quote:
Mathieu Schneider was able to do for Montreal on the final shot of the game what Philadelphia failed to achieve in eight tries. Score on the power play.
Of course it was. It was the OT winner.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:25 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Opus, I see you calling me out about 8 times in the now locked GDT, because I was the one ragging on Metro the other night. I wasn't able to post much during the game as my girlfriend was over and hates it when I'm on the computer during games. My apologies.

Richards did not have a good night in the circle and I have no problem admitting it. It's something he needs to work on. So does Carter. He won some clutch draws in the playoffs last year and usually succeeds when it's a key situation. Tonight he didn't. I hope this apparent shoulder injury is what made him look so bad tonight.

As you said, it happens.

What pisses me off is the Flyers fan base beating the **** out of the guy (verbally) because of one overtime loss in which he was run into the ground by his coach - and one in which he was +2 and scored as CG pointed out. That's BS. I ****ing hate our fans. Either hate a guy, or like a guy. Don't flip-flop every game. If the guy isn't scoring 5 points a night he's an epic failure. Make up your ****ing minds. The only consistency on this board is the hate for Randy Jones. It's sad.

Where's the blame for the goalie who ducks out of the way of shots? Where's the blame for the coach who puts the fourth line out when the game is slipping away in the first period and leaves in the same goalie who ducks out of the way of shots? Where's the blame for every single member of those PP units that couldn't do **** with 8 powerplays and tons of 5 on 3 time?

Not to mention a ****ing brutal and game-changing call in overtime. There's too much on the line to take away a guy's right to go hard to the net with the puck. But I guess in Gary Buttman's NHL, scoring from one knee in the slot is the only thing that gets rewarded.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:33 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Opus, I see you calling me out about 8 times in the now locked GDT, because I was the one ragging on Metro the other night. I wasn't able to post much during the game as my girlfriend was over and hates it when I'm on the computer during games. My apologies.

Richards did not have a good night in the circle and I have no problem admitting it. It's something he needs to work on. So does Carter. He won some clutch draws in the playoffs last year and usually succeeds when it's a key situation. Tonight he didn't. I hope this apparent shoulder injury is what made him look so bad tonight.

As you said, it happens.

What pisses me off is the Flyers fan base beating the **** out of the guy (verbally) because of one overtime loss in which he was run into the ground by his coach - and one in which he was +2 and scored as CG pointed out. That's BS. I ****ing hate our fans. Either hate a guy, or like a guy. Don't flip-flop every game. If the guy isn't scoring 5 points a night he's an epic failure. Make up your ****ing minds. The only consistency on this board is the hate for Randy Jones. It's sad.
Meh, I simply pointed out that Richie had a bad shift on the PK in OT although to be fair to myself, I didn't realize he had been overplayed so badly.

I mean seriously, how does Richie literally play twice as much time as Hartnell and Lupul? I'm not even making this up, he played twice as much time as those guys.

Just stupid coaching again.

Bright spots for me from the game would be Carle having an outstanding game, Coburn showing more confidence, Parent continuing to acclimate, and Ross looking good.

Bad spots would be Nitty (though to his credit, he pulled it together), coaching, team defense (getting pinned in the zone), and not a very good game from the 3rd line.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Unstable

Good lord people. We fielded a team with 11 real forwards and 5 real defensemen and skated away with a point. Should we have had two? Absolutely. Were there breakdowns? ABSOLUTELY! But the final score - in which we got a point - reflected a million different problems combined. No one of them - perhaps no three of them - are the end of the world. It was just a ****py alignment of things going wrong. The big game is Sunday, and if we can get Kimmo and Danny back and Richards rested, it should be really exciting.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:49 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

i have to do it. jones played 27:43, second highest of anyone for the game. markov had 29:50. and you know what? he didn't look that bad doing it. i think jones makes the most mistakes when he has the puck. i know that sounds stupid, but seriously, he's been pretty good positionally as of late. i think he's stepped up very nicely. fire away everyone

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
i have to do it. jones played 27:43, second highest of anyone for the game. markov had 29:50. and you know what? he didn't look that bad doing it. i think jones makes the most mistakes when he has the puck. i know that sounds stupid, but seriously, he's been pretty good positionally as of late. i think he's stepped up very nicely. fire away everyone
Jones has his moments. The problem is those moments don't add up to $2.75M a year.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:51 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
**** Kimmo! Lets trade Kimmo for a 4th and we are set!!!!

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Sorry if it seemed that way, looking back on it...I merely meant to use the Metro faceoff loss as the example. I have no problem naming names if I'm going to call somebody out...I do it with FlyHigh (<--- see, lol) in regards to the cap. It's okay FlyHigh, I love ya buddy.

I thought I remember a few people ragging on Metro, perhaps I'm wrong.

No need to apologize mate.

Quote:

As you said, it happens.
There's no question that he was terrible on the draw tonight. I believe he finished the night 12/29. Whether it was fatigue (possible) or the injury (shoulder?), he lost the key ones when it matters most. Like you and I both said, and realize...it happens. I just thought it was a little unfair the 'dumping' Metro got. After all, his faceoff loss didn't lead to the game winning goal. It just seems players dodge all the criticizm while others could no wrong, it's insane. At least the way I see it.

Quote:
I guess this part of your post is what leaves me baffled, if you will. Nobody deserves to get dumped for every little mistake. Not Richards, Carter or Timonen...not Jones, Alberts or Niittymaki or Biron. Not a single player in this game is perfect...and I think sometimes the dumping they get is completely unjust.

Quote:
Where's the blame for the goalie who ducks out of the way of shots? Where's the blame for the coach who puts the fourth line out when the game is slipping away in the first period and leaves in the same goalie who ducks out of the way of shots? Where's the blame for every single member of those PP units that couldn't do **** with 8 powerplays and tons of 5 on 3 time?
You can blame who you wish, whatever makes you make feel better...but the fact of the matter is that we played a decent game despite the potentless PP. We had some roster changes and managed to get a point of out it. I would hardly push the panic button. Maybe I'm just a little more relaxed than most Flyers fans, I don't know.

Quote:
Not to mention a ****ing brutal and game-changing call in overtime. There's too much on the line to take away a guy's right to go hard to the net with the puck. But I guess in Gary Buttman's NHL, scoring from one knee in the slot is the only thing that gets rewarded.
I don't know about a brutal call. I love Upshall like the next guy, but he made contact with Halak in the blue paint...without being pushed/checked into him...that's a penalty every single day. You know as well as I do, that if that was Kovalev crashing Niitty's crease...we'd expect a call too. I don't see it any other way. I have no problem playing homer but let's be serious...would you be cool if a Hab did that at our end and there was no call?

There is favouritism, and there is favouritism.

I noticed a post where chaoss says Hartnell embellished a play too much. Same thing here, when a Flyer 'embellishes', it's all fine and dandy...when Crosby 'embellishes', he's a diver and disgrace to the game. I'm noticing this more and more around here. There's nothing wrong with wearing orange tinted glasses...but let's all call a spade a spade.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:00 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
what went down, i missed it. the game. and apparently some bickering. lol. howd metro fair if he played

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
You're right.

His play has been surprisingly solid in the absence of Kimmo.

Old
02-28-2009, 12:05 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
what went down, i missed it. the game. and apparently some bickering. lol. howd metro fair if he played
Flyers jump to a 2-0 lead in the first 8 plus minutes
Niittymaki has a 3 minute brain cramp late in the first and gives up 3
Flyers given 2 5 on 3's totalling about 2 minutes in the 2nd and didnt score
Gagne tied it.
Flyers go 0-8 on the PP
Upshall takes a quesionable penalty in OT and the Flyers lost.