HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies (Part 7): Philadelphia Celebrates Their World Championship

Old
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

vCash: 500
yeah he seemed like a really humble guy (i like that in a athlete) and ive also come to love the guy

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmelementbl View Post
hey guys just wanted to stop in and say that on saturday night i sat next to pat, chase and their wives at a resturant in center city. i was at a dinner for my grandmoms birthday and low and behold they sat next to us. My dad wound up buying their dinner and they came over and talked to us for a little thanking us. Pat said that he couldnt beg the phillies possibly anymore to bring him back
Those guys will never have to pay for a meal in the city of Philadelphia again. Ever.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmelementbl View Post
hey guys just wanted to stop in and say that on saturday night i sat next to pat, chase and their wives at a resturant in center city. i was at a dinner for my grandmoms birthday and low and behold they sat next to us. My dad wound up buying their dinner and they came over and talked to us for a little thanking us. Pat said that he couldnt beg the phillies possibly anymore to bring him back
Cute given that he apparently turned down a 2-year deal. Not impugning him in the slightest as far as being a good guy, but that statement wasn't exactly completely honest.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:40 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
dude... we won the world series.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 05:44 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
dude... we won the world series.
WAIT? WE did? Since when?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:16 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
WAIT? WE did? Since when?
wednesday i believe. hard to get news these days.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 07:31 PM
CoolinWithCosta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Dismissing a player solely because of which side of the plate he hits from is, well, stupid. What's wrong with getting another LH bat? That would give us 3 LH bats (Utley, Howard, Ibanez), 3 RH bats (Werth, Feliz, Ruiz), and 2 switch-hitters (Rollins, Victorino).

And just in case you're interested, Ibanez actually had a better AVG, OBP, and SLG against LHP than RHP this season (.305/.371/.497 to .288/.352/.470). For his career, he's a .268 hitter against LHP.
Well, if you want to bring up that point, we might as well just bring back Bobby. Guy can mash against LH pitching and can still hit 25/100 with a plus .300BA.

Bottom line is, if they are going to not re-sign pat then they must go out (either via trade or freeagency) and sign a bat to replace him in the lineup. If the Phils FO thinks that a LH bat would work hitting behind Utley and Howard, then so be it..go sign Ibanez. You're right, he's a decent player and would probably come at a decent price and he could pan out. Normally, however, when you have 3 players who hit the same RH or LH in a row..it makes it much easier on the opposing manager to manage his pitching staff and only hurts your own team in the process.

Last edited by CoolinWithCosta: 11-03-2008 at 07:36 PM.
CoolinWithCosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg View Post
Well, if you want to bring up that point, we might as well just bring back Bobby. Guy can mash against LH pitching and can still hit 25/100 with a plus .300BA.

Bottom line is, if they are going to not re-sign pat then they must go out (either via trade or freeagency) and sign a bat to replace him in the lineup. If the Phils FO thinks that a LH bat would work hitting behind Utley and Howard, then so be it..go sign Ibanez. You're right, he's a decent player and would probably come at a decent price and he could pan out. Normally, however, when you have 3 players who hit the same RH or LH in a row..it makes it much easier on the opposing manager to manage his pitching staff and only hurts your own team in the process.
Maybe Werth could be fifth and Ibanez sixth in the lineup, thus splitting up the LH bats. Takes a little imagination, I know, but maybe that would work? Look, this year's FA crop is very thin, and if you want to go after a bat via trade instead, that's fine. Who do you have in mind? Holliday? If so, Victorino will be one of the players going to Colorado, and I'd really rather not have to see him play in another jersey.

Ibanez is a cost-effective option -- who will at least replace Burrell's RBI totals -- that allows the Phillies to keep the core of their team intact.

Also, as an aside, expect Hamels to be given a nice contract this off-season (5 years and $40M, let's say). Howard will go to arbitration yet again and get another BIG payday. I'm interested to see if the team approaches Victorino about a contract extension. One thing that I think Amaro will do that Gillick didn't is offer some long-term deals to core players.

Old
11-03-2008, 10:37 PM
devsfan8

What I want to know is why the arguement has to be about signing a bat to replace Burrell if he does sign elsewhere.

I would prefer to see Amaro use that money to go after a #2 starter between Hamels and Myers. I would let Seanez and Eyre go (both were solid for us) along with Taguchi and Burrell. That leaves the outfield with Victorino, Werth, Snelling, Golson, and I would assume Dobbs would be the plan in LF. We would be weaker but not so much weaker where we would need to make a bat our top priority.

If I was to play GM, I would use that money to go after a Lowe or Sheets or Burnett (Sabathia is not happening) and then try to sign Marte for the pen to add even more depth to it. The lineup is still solid top to bottom and I am sure Ruben can find another low priced Outfileder as well.

devsfan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Some markets should see that picture next time they want to toot their horns about having a rally in the parking lot with 40,000 people
I think the Devils parade was a display of true Devils fans. A lot of parades to the magnitude of the Phillies and NY Championship parades, etc are filled with a significant amount of people who go since it is something to do and a day off of work in the city.

However, the turnout and the display of Philly red as well as the enthusiasm of the parade was truly amazing. And I totally agree, that there were still a HUGE amount of suffering fans that are passionate and loyal and die hards. and it was in the millions range, which is WAY more then I can say for the Devils.

Old
11-03-2008, 10:42 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
^ Actually not too terrible of a plan if we cant get Pat back.

Dobbs in LF, may work, but i dont know.

But if 1st priority HAS to be the SP. If we can get a 1-2 punch with Cole and someone else, we have a great shot to....

BE WORLD ****IN CHAMPIONS AGAIN

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM
phlocky

F' Pat, let that POS walk. He did crap in the WS and has been much more a clutch CHOKE than a clutch HIT. Throw 5 mil a year more than we were paying Pat at Manny and lets bring another WS championship here. Manny would probably take a little less to come here to be with Charlie and the group of guys we have than he could get elsewhere. He might give us a mil of 2 discount.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
devsfan8

And I also forgot about Jenkins. How could I forget about the guy who got us off to the great start the other magical night?

So that is another outfield option. I would put him on the market as well, but he has a limited NTC so he would only go to a few teams.

Top priorities should be:

1) secure Hamels long term
2) look for a #2 starter

Hamels
_____
Myers
Blanton
Moyer

Last edited by devsfan8: 11-03-2008 at 11:49 PM.
Old
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Phunhog

Can't be Dobbs, that's too many left handed bats. We need a righty with a little bit of pop who can hit with RISP which Pat really struggeled with (.234).

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
devsfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
F' Pat, let that POS walk. He did crap in the WS and has been much more a clutch CHOKE than a clutch HIT. Throw 5 mil a year more than we were paying Pat at Manny and lets bring another WS championship here. Manny would probably take a little less to come here to be with Charlie and the group of guys we have than he could get elsewhere. He might give us a mil of 2 discount.
And then when we hsve to give Manny 4 years at 36 years old and give him $22 million per, that is not thinking of the future and locking up the core like Hamels and Howard long term. I do not to see the Phillies win games by outslugging teams. Small ball and pitching is the best way to improve the team as Gillick proved and he got us a Championship. Rowand hit .309 with 29 HR's for us and was let go and we were better because of it. We acquired Ldge, picked up the option on romero, added Durbin and later on seanez and allowed for Myers to return to the rotation. Blanton at the deadline as well was a good move as well.

I am fine with losing Pat if we can get a stud #2 and sign a nice addition to an already lethal bullpen.

I also think you are going to the extreme with Pat. He is still a valueable part of the team and the longest reigning Philly. Sentimentally it would be tough to see him go.

I think we are a better team with a bullpen of Happ (lets make him a long man), Condrey, Durbin, Madson, Romero, and Lidge. Bullpens are weird. Durbin and Romero could struggle next year. Only the elite bullpen guys are consistently good. Sign Marte to add another lefty and more depth.

Then go with Hamels, Fill in the Blank legit #2, Myers, Blanton and Moyer

We could use Kendrick as trade bait.

Another option is to send Kendrick to the Pirates for Grabow and not go after Marte.

We improve an already solid staff and bullpen, fill the only noticeable hole, if any, that sticks out. Iguchi upgrades our bench even though he is an infielder and can take over Dobbs roll as primary PH.

Get Hamels locked up. This is crucial. Then seek a #2. just my opinion

Last edited by devsfan8: 11-03-2008 at 11:56 PM.
Old
11-04-2008, 12:02 AM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
F' Pat, let that POS walk.
Calling him a POS bothers the **** out of me. What do you have to be angry at him for especially after just winning the World Series and witnessing that parade. I mean if you are all for getting rid of arguably our best player against the Mets, and one who has done some good damage to the Braves recently then fine.

On the other side of that coin, if he leaves (which I dont wanna see) We have Werth, Dobbs, and a good young player in Golston that can help fill right and lfet field, unless they want to move Victorino back to right.

WE NEED PITCHING! Stop talking about signing bats, cause thats not what we need. Moyer is old, Kendrick is shaky, and who knows if theyll keep Blanton because he is up for arbitration. They might think letting Pat go will help free up money for a guy like Webb, but Moyer would unlikely get resigned at that point.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan8 View Post
If I was to play GM, I would use that money to go after a Lowe or Sheets or Burnett (Sabathia is not happening) and then try to sign Marte for the pen to add even more depth to it. The lineup is still solid top to bottom and I am sure Ruben can find another low priced Outfileder as well.
Ugh, no thanks on Sheets. That dude gets hurt way too often for the money he's going to want. I'll pass on him...Burnett might be interesting, and Lowe might not be bad, especially since he's a ground ball pitcher in CBP. I agree that pitching should be a priority though. That's what wins championships.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 09:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by devsfan8 View Post
I think the Devils parade was a display of true Devils fans. A lot of parades to the magnitude of the Phillies and NY Championship parades, etc are filled with a significant amount of people who go since it is something to do and a day off of work in the city.

However, the turnout and the display of Philly red as well as the enthusiasm of the parade was truly amazing. And I totally agree, that there were still a HUGE amount of suffering fans that are passionate and loyal and die hards. and it was in the millions range, which is WAY more then I can say for the Devils.
I wasn't specifically pointing out the Devils, rather another market, but you're also right.

Someone was on 610 with a pretty interesting story of the behind the scenes drama leading to the departure of Mike Arbuckle. Supposedly the day of the parade was one of the worst days of his life (according to whoever this was, didn't catch the name)

Last edited by GKJ: 11-04-2008 at 09:48 AM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:02 AM
phlflyer1

Quote:
Someone was on 610 with a pretty interesting story of the behind the scenes drama leading to the departure of Mike Arbuckle. Supposedly the day of the parade was one of the worst days of his life (according to whoever this was, didn't catch the name)
Did you hear more behind that story? Was it someone who had to break the news to Arbuckle that he was not going to get the GM position? I would have thought that would have come straight from David Montgomery....

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:02 PM
BWAVgal
A sad Flyers fan

Quote:
I would let Seanez and Eyre go
Seanez is already a free agent.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...=.jsp&c_id=phi

They want to keep Eyre. I wouldn't mind Matt Holliday or Ordonez. Atkins too.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:14 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
Seanez is already a free agent.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com...=.jsp&c_id=phi

They want to keep Eyre. I wouldn't mind Matt Holliday or Ordonez. Atkins too.
Ugh HELLO!!! I wouldn't mind Holliday, Jeez, I'd be the happiest F'ing guy in the world if we landed Holliday for LF.

It would be like Christmas and Easter and my birthday all rolled into one!!!

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 01:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They're not getting Holliday

Old
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlflyer1 View Post
Did you hear more behind that story? Was it someone who had to break the news to Arbuckle that he was not going to get the GM position? I would have thought that would have come straight from David Montgomery....
No, it was a writer, but apparently Arbuckle cleaned out his office the same day of the parade -- before it was announced Amaro got the job, then Dave Montgomery told him Amaro got the job, and he subsequently told him he was leaving the organization.

Old
11-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
No, it was a writer, but apparently Arbuckle cleaned out his office the same day of the parade -- before it was announced Amaro got the job, then Dave Montgomery told him Amaro got the job, and he subsequently told him he was leaving the organization.
Montgomery said it was the hardest thing he's ever had to do as owner (and, I'm sure, as a personal friend). It's a shame, Arbuckle's the guy who drafted the core of this team.

Old
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
BWAVgal
A sad Flyers fan

AJ Burnett is going to become a free agent. Might be a guy the Phils look at:

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=254804&l...=secStory_main

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote