HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Matt Ellis done anything?

Old
10-28-2008, 11:55 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Has Matt Ellis done anything?

I forget this guy is even on our team sometimes, and while some may not view that as a bad thing for a 4th liner, I most certainly do. Our 4th line isn't supposed to be invisible when on the ice - they are supposed to see minimal amounts of shifts, yes - but Kaleta and even Peters stand out.

Can anyone honestly tell me this guy deserves a roster spot over guys like Zagrapan and even Gerbe, let alone Darche/Bouck?

Can anyone honestly tell me they've been happy/impressed with anything about him?

I didn't understand the timing of the signing, I was fine with Darche and taking a chance that we'd bring youngsters up if injuries hit, and I still feel that way.

We have a farm system with semblance and structure again, finally. Let's dive into it, no?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:30 AM
nibbles

Send a message via Yahoo to nibbles
Who's Matt Ellis?

nibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 06:55 AM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
He's probably done just about as much as Max, and has caused less stupid penalties to boot.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
He's probably done just about as much as Max, and has caused less stupid penalties to boot.
I was surprised to see that Max is second on the team in scoring.
He has done it quietly and I have yet to see him doing the stupid things he is known for.
He has been one of best forwards this year so far.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 07:38 AM
Tra La La

Not an Ellis fan at all.

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Old Navy Goat

He's played smart 4th line minutes, and has been defensively responsible so what else do you want? He's not a big banger but is a servicable player, and for those wanting to raid Portland for bodies, you have to remember they just started icing their own AHL team and they barely have enough bodies for it right now. He's only signed for one year so is filling a gap until more kids graduate next year and they pick up some more kids from the NCAA.

Old Navy Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Eh, I don't have a strong opinion on Ellis one way or the other. Once this team gets healthy (if ever) Ellis will be in the press box or gone and they aren't exactly suffering his presence. I don't see a pressing need to bring up Gerbe or Zagrapan to play with Peters and Kaleta and I think Darche and Bouck will play a much more important role as leaders for the prospects in Portland then as a temporary patch on the 4th line for Buffalo.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:20 AM
aceface33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I forget this guy is even on our team sometimes, and while some may not view that as a bad thing for a 4th liner, I most certainly do. Our 4th line isn't supposed to be invisible when on the ice - they are supposed to see minimal amounts of shifts, yes - but Kaleta and even Peters stand out.

Can anyone honestly tell me this guy deserves a roster spot over guys like Zagrapan and even Gerbe, let alone Darche/Bouck?

Can anyone honestly tell me they've been happy/impressed with anything about him?

I didn't understand the timing of the signing, I was fine with Darche and taking a chance that we'd bring youngsters up if injuries hit, and I still feel that way.

We have a farm system with semblance and structure again, finally. Let's dive into it, no?
I think the Ellis signing was for Portland. Because they are so thin down there, having Ellis around means that Buffalo does not have to make any callups, allowing Portland to gel. I haven't noticed him either, but I can't definitively say that Darche or Zagrapan would be any better centering the 4th line. I'm no Zagrapan expert but I think he's not so much of a grinder as a setup guy that excels with other offensively gifted players, so he'd be out of place on the 4th line. Darche might be better and they could probably send Ellis down and call Darche up at this point if they wanted to go that route.

I think the best case senario, of course, is getting Gaustad back.

aceface33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 08:26 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
I see him as I saw Pratt last year. Servicable fill-in, hasn't hurt us yet.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
TheGreatOne99

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
Quote:

Do you honestly think he will still be on the team when Gaustad, Hecht and Connolly(ha), return?

I don't, he is a good depth fill in pickup to replace Goose on the PK. I do agree however he has been a non-factor and there are probably better alternatives in the minors right now, but going into the season Regier and co. probably did not know exactally what they had in Portland.

You mentioned the timing of the signing, that had a lot to do with the decision, where it basically came down to Ellis over Darche.

TheGreatOne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Ghills23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Agreed, he hasn't hurt us but he hasn't helped us either, as long as he doesn't make bonehead plays and outproduces Peters which shouldn't be hard to do he will be an ok pick up.

Ghills23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ellis wasn't signed, he was claimed on waivers. So far he's been workmanlike and I have no complaints about his game. He's Chris Taylor 2.0, nothing flashy, does what is asked of him.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
EvanMc

hes been pretty solid on the PK, and has started winning faceoffs lately. Hes pretty quick, too. I view him as kaleta without the physicality.

EvanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 10:16 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

i couldn't disagree with you more. Ellis has been very good. One of the reasons that Peters and Kaleta are standing out is because of Ellis. His speed, backchecking, and defense have protected that line a lot. Ellis is the main reason that our 4th line doesn't get stuck in its own end for prolonged shifts and scoring chances.

I appreciate hardworking, system committed, 4th line, energy players.

Ellis has filled his role without flaws

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
BINGO, has been called ....

Please hold your cards.

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:13 AM
NoGoal

let the young guys stay in Portland and get ice time. Ellis is perfect for the job he is playing ... limited ice time now and when team gets healthy, alot of time in the press box. You don't want your young talent in rolls like that.

NoGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
i couldn't disagree with you more. Ellis has been very good. One of the reasons that Peters and Kaleta are standing out is because of Ellis. His speed, backchecking, and defense have protected that line a lot. Ellis is the main reason that our 4th line doesn't get stuck in its own end for prolonged shifts and scoring chances.

I appreciate hardworking, system committed, 4th line, energy players.

Ellis has filled his role without flaws
I'm watching a different guy, because his effort doesn't stand out to me at all. And his "defense"? Nothing that can't be supplied by someone else.

If you're going to give him the praise because his other two linemates are standing out, that's fine... but it's wrong. He is by far the weakest player on our teams in terms of having a role, bringing something to the table, etc. Kaleta stands out because he's Kaleta. Peters stands out because he's finally fighting. None of that has anything to do with Matt Ellis.

His spot could be filled by someone else and we'd be a better team.

Old
10-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I'm watching a different guy, because his effort doesn't stand out to me at all. And his "defense"? Nothing that can't be supplied by someone else.

If you're going to give him the praise because his other two linemates are standing out, that's fine... but it's wrong. He is by far the weakest player on our teams in terms of having a role, bringing something to the table, etc. Kaleta stands out because he's Kaleta. Peters stands out because he's finally fighting. None of that has anything to do with Matt Ellis.

His spot could be filled by someone else and we'd be a better team.
you can downplay his defense without actually saying anything about it, but i think it has been refreshing to have a 4th line center who understands his job in the defensive zone. I wish we could role tape of a Macarthur shift and an Ellis shift side by side, i think that would validate my point immensely.

i don't think their is any on ice validity to this thread

Old
10-29-2008, 12:47 PM
gallagt01

I read in the paper the other day that our 4th line hasn't given up a goal all season: http://www.buffalonews.com/489/story/473656.html

Quote:
Matt Ellis and wingers Andrew Peters and Patrick Kaleta are getting regular shifts in the early part of games, and they’re making the most of them. They haven’t given up any goals.
That was after the Minnesota game, before the Colorado game. They weren't on the ice for any goals against in neither the Colorado game nor the Ottawa game. Ellis is the best defensive player on that line.

Not to mention, what the hell is having Gerbe or Zagrapan up playing fourth line minutes going to accomplish? Nothing.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:24 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
He's pretty invisible, but it seems he's doing his job. I can take it or leave it with him on the roster. He's obviously gotta be the first one to go when we get a center back though.

lecherous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
EvanMc

I think it will be interesting to see if Ellis or peters sits. We could have on thursday a 4th of either

Kaleta-Gaustad-Peters

or

Kaleta - Gaustad - Ellis.

Id personally prefer the latter, but with the way peters has been playing (and *gasp* fighting!) lately Id be fine with either.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:34 PM
EvanMc

this is assuming ellis can play wing, as well as center

Old
10-29-2008, 01:42 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
you can downplay his defense without actually saying anything about it, but i think it has been refreshing to have a 4th line center who understands his job in the defensive zone. I wish we could role tape of a Macarthur shift and an Ellis shift side by side, i think that would validate my point immensely.

i don't think their is any on ice validity to this thread
What he's doing wouldn't be missed, and we could easily put someone else in there that would be better for the team. I don't see anything he brings that someone else can't... be it Mancari, Zagrapan, Darche, all of whom could fill different roles in that spot - all of which could be just as, if not more effective in my opinion.

Old
10-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous View Post
He's pretty invisible, but it seems he's doing his job. I can take it or leave it with him on the roster. He's obviously gotta be the first one to go when we get a center back though.
Quote:
What he's doing wouldn't be missed, and we could easily put someone else in there that would be better for the team. I don't see anything he brings that someone else can't... be it Mancari, Zagrapan, Darche, all of whom could fill different roles in that spot - all of which could be just as, if not more effective in my opinion.
When a defensively minded 4th line center is seen as "invisible", i see that as doing an excellent job.

Mancari - Ellis is a better skater, better defensively, and plays the PK
Zagrapan - Ellis is better defensively and fits a 4th line role much better
Darche - is he on a 2 way contract? if he is subject to waivers, i hardly see the point in bringing him up. he has a role in Portland.

i think what Ellis is doing would sorely be missed. I think the 4th line would be getting fewer shifts if one of the 3 mentioned above was on it. Ruff wouldn't trust it. The 4th line was getting shifts in the 3rd period of a tie game in Colorado.

Ellis so far has been the stabilizing player on the 4th line, the player that gives Ruff the confidence to put Kaleta/Peters on the ice in the 2nd and 3rd periods of close games

i think you've completely missed the ball on Ellis...

however, with Goose coming back, i can see Ellis going to the press box.

Old
10-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
So what are/were your expectations for Ellis, then?

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote