HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10-30-08 BJ's at Avs 7 PM MT

Old
10-31-2008, 05:45 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
He's almost unbearable this season.
It seems as though he made a concious effort in the offseason to be more opinionated in his pieces. For someone who has claimed in the past that he's not even an Avalanche fan, he's just a reporter, he sure comes off sometimes like an overreacting whinny fan from the Avs main board.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 10:29 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
I think he is trying to distance himself (and with good reason) from the media yes men employed by Kroenke Sports. That line is a hard line to walk.

The truth of his journalistic stance probably lies somewhere in the middle. He does not always agree with the decisions made by the team management and it is his right and duty as the Avalanche reporter for The Post to express that. If you are looking for the sort of reporting that is uncritical of all things Avs then you need to just watch Altitude and ignore all other news sources that might expose you to opinions that have not been bought and paid for.

bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:32 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
He's almost unbearable this season.
I think he's quite refreshing. One only needs to listen to an Avs broadcast, a post-game analysis, or an interview with any player or coach, in order to see how they are ALL silly robotic 'yes men' 100.0% of the time. I like that Dater is actually putting an original opinion out there.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
It seems as though he made a concious effort in the offseason to be more opinionated in his pieces. For someone who has claimed in the past that he's not even an Avalanche fan, he's just a reporter, he sure comes off sometimes like an overreacting whinny fan from the Avs main board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bling View Post
I think he is trying to distance himself (and with good reason) from the media yes men employed by Kroenke Sports. That line is a hard line to walk.

The truth of his journalistic stance probably lies somewhere in the middle. He does not always agree with the decisions made by the team management and it is his right and duty as the Avalanche reporter for The Post to express that. If you are looking for the sort of reporting that is uncritical of all things Avs then you need to just watch Altitude and ignore all other news sources that might expose you to opinions that have not been bought and paid for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
I think he's quite refreshing. One only needs to listen to an Avs broadcast, a post-game analysis, or an interview with any player or coach, in order to see how they are ALL silly robotic 'yes men' 100.0% of the time. I like that Dater is actually putting an original opinion out there.

-AB

What you're talking about guys is the same for most ( if not every )teams in the NHL.
I can tell you about Montreal ( coz that's the closest team from where i leave ) and their Journalists . They are all yes men , even the old Journalists that used to follow the Nordiques . Some fans didnt like that and the journalists had to defend themself on TV once , telling that they have to follow the rules in order to keep their jobs because they are now working for the habs .

as for RDS.CA and their talkback, i posted there many times , but not all my comments were posted .
If i had a good comment about the team , my comment was posted every time but if by any chance my comment was negatif toward the team the webmaster bloked the comment every single time.

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:37 AM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
What you're talking about guys is the same for most ( if not every )teams in the NHL.
That may be so, but it doesn't mean that every fan should simply bow down to the NHL ownership's version of politburo state run media.

Every city should have a writer like Dater, who speaks (writes) his mind publicly, much like we do in here. I don't agree with Dater every time, but it's sure nice to read some 'official' stuff that isn't 'pre-edited' by the team's management.

Gods, I haven't listened to Peter McNab more than a few times over the past couple of years. Would run the risk of making me want to upchuck in my beer.

-AB

Old
11-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That may be so, but it doesn't mean that every fan should simply bow down to the NHL ownership's version of politburo state run media.

Every city should have a writer like Dater, who speaks (writes) his mind publicly, much like we do in here. I don't agree with Dater every time, but it's sure nice to read some 'official' stuff that isn't 'pre-edited' by the team's management.

Gods, I haven't listened to Peter McNab more than a few times over the past couple of years. Would run the risk of making me want to upchuck in my beer.

-AB
yes , you're right , but more and more you will see some kind of "Omerta " with the media and the teams . For what i see AD if one of the few who speaks up about the team in Denver, we need more journalist like AD .

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:

-AB
I don't have any problem with him being crtitcal of the team, in fact it's his job. But even after the Avs had won five in a row and he didn't have anything good to say it gets ridiculous. You have the Avs media on one end of the spectrum and Dater who's getting dangerously close to the other end.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
I don't have any problem with him being crtitcal of the team, in fact it's his job. But even after the Avs had won five in a row and he didn't have anything good to say it gets ridiculous. You have the Avs media on one end of the spectrum and Dater who's getting dangerously close to the other end.
Democracy in action!

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 01:21 PM
quesosauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Democracy in action!
Lets burn this motha down! Start the riots!

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 02:14 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Fair enough, but are you not giving credit where credit is due? For example, this is straight from his blog, immediately after the 5 game winning streak:

"Boods has been better, the forwards are putting lots of biscuits in the basket and for the first time all season tonight, your Lanchers didn’t allow a PP goal."

...And then...

"But the real story has been the play of the defense. The six blueliners are all playing around 16-20 minutes a night, chipping in at the offensive end, and basically making very few mistakes in their own end."

...And then...

"About Budaj: <snip> he played a very good game tonight against the Sabres. And he was good against the Oil on Thursday."

...And finally...

"But overall, credit must be doled out here to an Avs team that clearly didn’t panic after that 0-3 start."

Do those 4 direct quotes not constitute 'having anything good to say'? If you're looking for Dater to say *nothing* negative about the team after a 5 game winning streak, then you simply have Peter McNab v2 in the Denver Post.

Why is it wrong to be generally positive, but at the same time, still have some concerns about the team's play? To me, that is simply objectivity without the pom-poms.

-AB

Old
11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Fair enough, but are you not giving credit where credit is due? For example, this is straight from his blog, immediately after the 5 game winning streak:

"Boods has been better, the forwards are putting lots of biscuits in the basket and for the first time all season tonight, your Lanchers didn’t allow a PP goal."

...And then...

"But the real story has been the play of the defense. The six blueliners are all playing around 16-20 minutes a night, chipping in at the offensive end, and basically making very few mistakes in their own end."

...And then...

"About Budaj: <snip> he played a very good game tonight against the Sabres. And he was good against the Oil on Thursday."

...And finally...

"But overall, credit must be doled out here to an Avs team that clearly didn’t panic after that 0-3 start."

Do those 4 direct quotes not constitute 'having anything good to say'? If you're looking for Dater to say *nothing* negative about the team after a 5 game winning streak, then you simply have Peter McNab v2 in the Denver Post.

Why is it wrong to be generally positive, but at the same time, still have some concerns about the team's play? To me, that is simply objectivity without the pom-poms.

-AB
Saying Lanchers is bad enough.

Seriously though, I like the fact that he is willing to call out the team when the play poorly, or the yes men within the organization, which can be incredibly annoying. Unfortunately, he sounds sometimes like he's trying to hard to be opinionated, because that does well these days. It's one thing to be upset with a teams decisions. It's another to be educated and think clearly about things you're complaining about, and he kind of lost me with that long winded rant he had earlier in the season about not keeping Theo and Q. You're not going to agree with everything people say, and that includes reporters, so hopefully he'll start putting out some more valid points, and rationale arguments later on in the season to counter balance the others.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:54 PM
ABasin
Asset management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Saying Lanchers is bad enough.

Seriously though, I like the fact that he is willing to call out the team when the play poorly, or the yes men within the organization, which can be incredibly annoying. Unfortunately, he sounds sometimes like he's trying to hard to be opinionated, because that does well these days. It's one thing to be upset with a teams decisions. It's another to be educated and think clearly about things you're complaining about, and he kind of lost me with that long winded rant he had earlier in the season about not keeping Theo and Q. You're not going to agree with everything people say, and that includes reporters, so hopefully he'll start putting out some more valid points, and rationale arguments later on in the season to counter balance the others.
Good points. All in all, there isn't anyone whose opinion is going to be dead-on every time. Dater has a few rants that make no sense (his man-love diatribes about Phaneuf for a week last year were particularly perplexing), but overall his points seem to me to be opinionated, but generally reasonable.

And again, any non-AvsTalkingHead print is good, IMO.

-AB

Last edited by ABasin: 11-01-2008 at 09:00 PM.