HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Panic Time in NJ?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 08:39 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

vCash: 500
Panic Time in NJ?

OK, Stevens is out and now add Rafalski. Since after the Christmas break, the PK has slowly declined and the GA has soared. The current defense is (YUCK):

Niedermayer
White
Hale
Martin
Brown
Albelin

Obviously, Lou needs to do something on defense and get a back up goaltender (Schwab is most likely done career wise). What would you do if you were the NJ GM? Brodeur is good, but I dunno. Don't let NJ's last week fool you. This team is still offensively challenged.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
OK, Stevens is out and now add Rafalski. Since after the Christmas break, the PK has slowly declined and the GA has soared. The current defense is (YUCK):

Niedermayer
White
Hale
Martin
Brown
Albelin

Obviously, Lou needs to do something on defense and get a back up goaltender (Schwab is most likely done career wise). What would you do if you were the NJ GM? Brodeur is good, but I dunno. Don't let NJ's last week fool you. This team is still offensively challenged.
I think lou will take a shot at gonchar, but settle for Witt. I know it would never happen, but I think Leetch would be a perfect fit in NJ for the stretch run.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:26 PM
Breck Av

I bet Roberto Luongo and Marc Denis feel bad for Brodeur.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:28 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
...and this has something to do with....

Old
02-28-2004, 09:32 PM
MoS*

Quote:
hahahahaha

Old
02-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
...and this has something to do with....
Many people think Brodeur has always had a pretty good defense in front of him throughout his career and would like to see him behind the kind of blueline Florida and Columbus throw out there everynight. If Marty continues to excell then we for sure know he's the greatest goalie since 1994.

Back to the main topic, I didn't want to threadjack, I think New Jersey should add a little help to their defense if Rafalski is hurt badly. I have no idea what happened to him, I hope he's ok.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Face it, no Stevens, no cup. Simple as that.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:02 PM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Back to the main topic, I didn't want to threadjack, I think New Jersey should add a little help to their defense if Rafalski is hurt badly. I have no idea what happened to him, I hope he's ok.
I heard it's a broken leg. Not sure of the severity of that, but it don't sound good regardless.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:27 PM
Breck Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
I heard it's a broken leg. Not sure of the severity of that, but it don't sound good regardless.
Hopefully it's more of a Rob Blake-type broken leg than a Joe Theisman-type break.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:35 PM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I heard it was a bruised knee or something behind his knee was bruised

Old
02-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
*knock*knock*

Old
02-28-2004, 11:39 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

Niedermayer
White
Hale
Martin
Brown
Albelin

Face it, if Brodeur were to go down for NJD, the team would be finished, regardless of who is backing him up. Much like Montreal with Theodore, Toronto with Belfour, etc. Getting that supreme backup is not a priority. As for the D, I thought Stevens was returning possibly fairly soon. And so we even know how seriously Raflaski is injured? Didn't look good, but he reportedly was walking after the game.

Regardless, a good month to right the ship before the real season begins.

Panic time in NJ? Nah. Maybe on the NJD board, however. :p

Old
02-28-2004, 11:39 PM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
*knock*knock*
Montreal can have the # 6 seed, I'd much rather the Devils play the Leafs, Flyers or Senators(teams they have owned in the playoffs these last few seasons) in the first round then a young hungry team like Tampa that could pull off the upset(though I don't know if them beating the Devils is really an "upset").

Old
02-28-2004, 11:44 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Montreal can have the # 6 seed, I'd much rather the Devils play the Leafs, Flyers or Senators(teams they have owned in the playoffs these last few seasons) in the first round then a young hungry team like Tampa that could pull off the upset(though I don't know if them beating the Devils is really an "upset").
And how do you know that TB is not gonna finish 1st or 2nd overall in the east ?

Old
02-28-2004, 11:47 PM
King of Kelvington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
And how do you know that TB is not gonna finish 1st or 2nd overall in the east ?
Good point but how do YOU know the habs will even make the post season???

Old
02-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCJr
Good point but how do YOU know the habs will even make the post season???
But why are you talking about the habs ? :p

Since you asked I'll answer anyway.

If the Habs were to play .500 hockey (8-8-0-0) in their remaining games, it would take these records from their opponents to catch/tie them:

New York Islanders: 9-8-1-0 (71+19)

Buffalo Sabres: 13-3-1-0 (63+27)

Florida Panthers: 14-3-0-0 (62+28)

Assuming we win only 6 games out of the remaining 16 the Sabres and Panthers would still have to be red hot and have respective records of 11-5-1-0 and 12-5-0-0 to catch/tie us.

I think it's pretty safe to say that we're in.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:42 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Hopefully it's more of a Rob Blake-type broken leg than a Joe Theisman-type break.
4-6 weeks is the initial estimation for Rafalski. Looks like a break and not a fracture like Blake.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:47 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
NJ won't panic, but I thought that as the least motivated game NJ has played in a long time, nobody was skating, nobody was working and Marty let in a softy to start the game.

We have a little over a month to get healthy, it isn't as if NJ will miss the playoffs......just think of it as Lou getting better draft position

Old
02-29-2004, 12:48 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
4-6 weeks is the initial estimation for Rafalski. Looks like a break and not a fracture like Blake.
Thee knee wasn't even examined yet...they can't tell how bad it is. this is the BS Toronto media trying to start trouble.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:51 AM
Ricci's hairdresser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Let's just clarify one thing--a "break" and a "fracture" are synonyms. 'Fracture' is the proper medical term that a doctor would use and 'break' or 'broken leg' are commonly used terms by non-medical folks.

The terms 'compound' (broken in more than one place--'simple' is broken in only one place) or 'displaced' (broken piece is not where it should be--'nondisplaced' means broke bone is still in normal location) tell you about the severity of the fracture.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:57 AM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci's hairdresser
Let's just clarify one thing--a "break" and a "fracture" are synonyms. 'Fracture' is the proper medical term that a doctor would use and 'break' or 'broken leg' are commonly used terms by non-medical folks.

The terms 'compound' (broken in more than one place--'simple' is broken in only one place) or 'displaced' (broken piece is not where it should be--'nondisplaced' means broke bone is still in normal location) tell you about the severity of the fracture.
Err... sorry to be picky, but I believe a compound fracture is one where the broken bone perforates the skin. Ugly and nasty.... One of the most difficult breaks to recover from are spiral fractures. They spiral down the bone, severly weaking a large area and are prone to re-injury.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:44 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
We have a little over a month to get healthy, it isn't as if NJ will miss the playoffs......just think of it as Lou getting better draft position
Good point. The one good thing about all this losing is that the Devils will pick higher then normal, unless of course they win the cup

The Devils have proven to be a great road playoff team.

Closed Thread