HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Canada's best hockey cities:

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 01:08 AM
The Rage

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoS
BC'produced

Steve Yzerman
Joe Sakic
Paul Kariya
Scott Neidermayer
Eric Brewer
Barret Jackman
Brendan Morrison etc....

well, they aren't as good as your matvichuks or your comrie's but they are still up there....
Neidermayer's from Edmonton.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:14 AM
flamesforevah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
#1 Montreal
#2 Toronto
#3 Edmonton
#4 Vancouver
#5 Halifax
How can you rank Edmonton that high when they won't support their team when times get tough? Vancouver? They should change their name from the Canucks to the Bandwagons.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:14 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforevah
Ya... Flames have missed the playoffs for the last seven years (teetering on eight) but the faithful have still pretty much filled the dome during that time. I seem to remember when the Oilers missed for four straight years they were lucky to see 9000 in the stands on most nights. Most Oilers fans (not all) are very fair-weather.

How anyone can put Edmonton ahead of Calgary as a better hockey city is just plain ridiculous.
If the Oiler's missed 4 straight now, the building would be filled. The difference was back then we were in a dynasty hangover. If your team went from best to worst, would it surprise you if support fell? The biggest problem back then, though, was the owner and president. They made no attempt to reach out to the community, and Pocklington especially was seen as a villian.

I seem to remember when the Canadian dollar equalization plan was put in place for the first time, the Oilers were the first (perhaps even only?) team to qualify by selling the required amount of tickets, and that came during Edmonton's fourth year out of the playoffs (and Calgary was in the playoffs that year). In other words, saying Edmonton is a better hockey town is not ridiculous (although it is debatable).

Last edited by The Rage: 02-29-2004 at 01:25 AM.
Old
02-29-2004, 01:15 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
How can you rank Edmonton that high when they won't support their team when times get tough? Vancouver? They should change their name from the Canucks to the Bandwagons.
Ok, first time poster.

Montreal
Toronto
Halifax
Edmonton
Ottawa

Old
02-29-2004, 01:16 AM
OMA

This is a pointless thread.

How can you rate Canada's "Best Hockey Cities"? You can make an argument for every single city in Canada.

This thread's just gonna get ugly.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:17 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Ya... Flames have missed the playoffs for the last seven years (teetering on eight) but the faithful have still pretty much filled the dome during that time. I seem to remember when the Oilers missed for four straight years they were lucky to see 9000 in the stands on most nights. Most Oilers fans (not all) are very fair-weather.

How anyone can put Edmonton ahead of Calgary as a better hockey city is just plain ridiculous.
I looked it up, Edmonton never averaged even close to 9000 fans in the 90s. http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoste.../nhl_attn.html

Last edited by The Rage: 02-29-2004 at 01:22 AM.
Old
02-29-2004, 01:18 AM
Carbonneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
This is a pointless thread.

How can you rate Canada's "Best Hockey Cities"? You can make an argument for every single city in Canada.

This thread's just gonna get ugly.
Why does every thread have to be daisys and new puppies, arguements are more interesting, as long as, people don't take it personal

Old
02-29-2004, 01:21 AM
flamesforevah

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
If the Oiler's missed 4 straight now, the building would be filled. The difference was back then we were in a dynasty hangover. If your team went from best to worst, would it surprise you if support fell? The biggest problem back then, though, was the owner and president. They made no attempt to reach out to the community, and Pocklington especially was seen as a villian.

I seem to remember when the Canadian dollar equalization plan was put in place for the first time, the Oilers were the first (perhaps even only?) team to qualify by selling the required amount of tickets, and that came during Edmont's fourth year out of the playoffs (and Calgary was in the playoffs that year). In other words, saying Edmonton is a better hockey town is not ridiculous (although it is debatable).
Fair enough. Well said.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:23 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Fair enough. Well said.
Woops, seems like you're a more reasonable fellow than I thought. Sorry for the above insult, I deleted it.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:26 AM
flamesforevah

Quote:
I looked it up, Edmonton never averaged even close to 9000 fans in the 90s. Do your research next time before you open your mouth. http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoste.../nhl_attn.html
I never once said "average." I just seem to recall the Oilers drawing very poorly as the team went into the tank.

My whole point is that the Flames have drawn very well considering they have been out ofthe playoffs for so long, thus making Calgary a better "hockey city" than Edmonton.

I guess it just ticked me off that so many posters ranked Edmonton higher, given the fact that the Oil didn't draw so well when times were tough. Sheesh!

Old
02-29-2004, 01:28 AM
flamesforevah

Quote:
Woops, seems like you're a more reasonable fellow than I thought. Sorry for the above insult, I deleted it.
It's all about the love, man.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:30 AM
OMA

Quote:
Why does every thread have to be daisys and new puppies, arguements are more interesting, as long as, people don't take it personal
True enough, it does make it more interesting.

Although i'm taking it personally that Calgary's not on that list of yours

Good point though

Old
02-29-2004, 01:34 AM
Carbonneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
True enough, it does make it more interesting.

Although i'm taking it personally that Calgary's not on that list of yours

Good point though
I just wish Halifax had more population then maybe we could have an NHL team so everyone else in this country could see that the East Coast has great hockey, but I guess you'll all find out when Crosby gets there.

By the way, I don't want the extra population and the problems that come with it

Old
02-29-2004, 01:34 AM
flamesforevah

Quote:
Ok, first time poster.

Montreal
Toronto
Halifax
Edmonton
Ottawa
OK. I'll cut my losses and accept that!

Old
02-29-2004, 03:02 AM
Oilers Hockey

Winnipeg was an incredible hockey city!

Check out these fans! Loudest fans I've ever heard in my life, even louder than Rexall!

Old
02-29-2004, 06:07 AM
Hart_House_Ca

1. Toronto - The Centre of the Hockey Universe
2. Toronto - Where everyone gets there hockey source ie. Tsn.ca, sportsnet.ca, thescore.ca, toronto star, globe and mail, fan590, and the list goes on
3. Toronto - Where hockey players are made, call home and retire.
4. Toronto - Hockey Hall of Fame - Where lord stanley calls home.
5. Toronto - Where the nhl awards are held each year.

Famous Players to come from ontario:

Wayne Gretzky, Adam Oates, Brendan Shanahan, Brett Hull, Bobby Orr, Darryl Sittler, Doug Gilmour, Chris Pronger, Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Rick Nash, Eric Staal, Curtis Joseph, Owen Nolan, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Dave Andreychuk, Kirk Muller, Eric Lindros, Marty Turco, Chris Draper, Manny Legace, Kirk Maltby, Boyd Devereaux, Ed Jovanovski, Todd Bertuzzi, Scott Stevens, John Madden, Ron Francis, Jason Arnott, Jason Spezza, Anson Carter, Jeff O'neil, Sean Burke, Michael Peca, Joe Thornton, Andrew Raycroft, Kevin Weekes, Rod Brind'Amour, Matt Stajan, Carlo Colaiacovo, Mike Cammalleri, Ken Dryden, Bob Gainey, Larry Robinson, Craig Rivet, Alyn McCauley, TIM HORTON

------------------------------------------------------------------
Wayne Gretzky favourite hockey team: THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS
Bob McKenzie favourite team growing up: THE TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Last edited by Hart_House_Ca: 02-29-2004 at 06:15 AM.
Old
02-29-2004, 06:36 AM
Safir*

I really don't give a *******, which city in Canada's best hockey city.

Here's my list:

1. Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver (in alphabetical order)

Old
02-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Wings9

1. Montreal
2. Toronto
3. Vancouver
4. Ottawa
5. Calgary
6. Edmonton

Old
02-29-2004, 08:12 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Are we basing this on pure fan excitement in the cities, recent success of the franchises, history of the city, or what?

Old
02-29-2004, 08:12 AM
Bytown

I think the person who posted this did mean to say the best nhl city.To say toronto is a better hockey city is a joke they only support one team and that is the leafs the same goes for montreal they are a one horse town.The sens avg 17,500 the 67s 8.000 and gatineau 4.500 while the leafs sell out the acc but the jr a only get at the most 3000 and the roadrunners aslo draw very low crowds.If toronto is such a great hockey city how come they did not support the effort to bring the world jrs to toronto.While ottawa had over 20,000 seats sold toronto gave up as they only sold 6.500.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
1. Toronto - The Centre of the Hockey Universe
Someone had to say it....

Old
02-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2008
I think the person who posted this did mean to say the best nhl city.To say toronto is a better hockey city is a joke they only support one team and that is the leafs the same goes for montreal they are a one horse town.The sens avg 17,500 the 67s 8.000 and gatineau 4.500 while the leafs sell out the acc but the jr a only get at the most 3000 and the roadrunners aslo draw very low crowds.If toronto is such a great hockey city how come they did not support the effort to bring the world jrs to toronto.While ottawa had over 20,000 seats sold toronto gave up as they only sold 6.500.

In response to jdog.. let me clear something up to you my friend, since you dont' live in toronto.

Toronto is the best hockey city because people who actually talk about hockey in toronto .. play hockey. Toronto could support two nhl teams and still sellout every canadian team. There are more leaf fans.. than all canadian team fans combined. Leafs nation is over 10 million strong. Toronto has a jr team? who knew? last I checked st. mikes is a private highschool that happens to have its own ohl team. Lots of people dont' associate with st. mikes because of its location and the team name. That goes for the road runners? Everyone in toronto knows that the road runners is a poor excuse of EDMONTON to make money off of toronto, so why would anyone support them? supporting edmonton means helping the oilers, now why would anyone want to do that? Toronto already supports its st. john's leafs, why would we want to support an oilers farm team?

Why didn't we want to support a world jr tournament? in toronto we consider that small market team and cities business? why would we want to make peanuts from a small tournament in a city like toronto? We sell one tim nortons ad at the ACC and that's enough profit to cover the entire world jrs.

I love how people in montreal say.. they sell out more ads than toronto .. well if you're selling ads for 100 dollars each while toronto sells ads for 500,000 dollars each... how can you even compare?

Name one city that produces more nhl players than toronto? none. On every team in the nhl there is aleast one player from toronto or surrounding area.. gta..

Every hockey player has atleast one time in his life.. played hockey in toronto, visited toronto.. been coached by a person from toronto... Over 500,000 people play hockey every weekend. We have more hockey rinks than tim hortons. We have nhl trophies named after famous toronto people and landmarks.. ie.. lord stanley and conn smythe.

Everyone that watches hockey or gets hockey information gets it from a toronto base news media... ie. tsn.ca, cbc, sportsnet.ca, thescore.ca, canoe.ca, globe & mail, toronto star, toronto sun, national post, fan590, theteam.

there's a reason why we are the centre of the hockey universe.. we make more money than you.....

Last edited by Sotnos: 02-29-2004 at 06:03 PM. Reason: personal attack deleted
Old
02-29-2004, 12:48 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
In response to the ignorant jdog.. let me clear something up to you my friend, since you dont' live in toronto.

Toronto is the best hockey city because people who actually talk about hockey in toronto .. play hockey. Toronto could support two nhl teams and still sellout every canadian team. There are more leaf fans.. than all canadian team fans combined. Leafs nation is over 10 million strong. Toronto has a jr team? who knew? last I checked st. mikes is a private highschool that happens to have its own ohl team. Lots of people dont' associate with st. mikes because of its location and the team name. That goes for the road runners? Everyone in toronto knows that the road runners is a poor excuse of EDMONTON to make money off of toronto, so why would anyone support them? supporting edmonton means helping the oilers, now why would anyone want to do that? Toronto already supports its st. john's leafs, why would we want to support an oilers farm team?

Why didn't we want to support a world jr tournament? in toronto we consider that small market team and cities business? why would we want to make peanuts from a small tournament in a city like toronto? We sell one tim nortons ad at the ACC and that's enough profit to cover the entire world jrs.

I love how people in montreal say.. they sell out more ads than toronto .. well if you're selling ads for 100 dollars each while toronto sells ads for 500,000 dollars each... how can you even compare?

Name one city that produces more nhl players than toronto? none. On every team in the nhl there is aleast one player from toronto or surrounding area.. gta..

Every hockey player has atleast one time in his life.. played hockey in toronto, visited toronto.. been coached by a person from toronto... Over 500,000 people play hockey every weekend. We have more hockey rinks than tim hortons. We have nhl trophies named after famous toronto people and landmarks.. ie.. lord stanley and conn smythe.

Everyone that watches hockey or gets hockey information gets it from a toronto base news media... ie. tsn.ca, cbc, sportsnet.ca, thescore.ca, canoe.ca, globe & mail, toronto star, toronto sun, national post, fan590, theteam.

there's a reason why we are the centre of the hockey universe.. we make more money than you.....
I feel a bit unsmart for doing this, but someone has to reply to this in a proper & childish way: 1967

Old
02-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
I feel a bit unsmart for doing this, but someone has to reply to this in a proper & childish way: 1967

You feel unsmart? that must be a new word. atleast we had a hockey team in 1967.....

Old
02-29-2004, 02:16 PM
YellHockey*

Quote:
We have nhl trophies named after famous toronto people and landmarks.. ie.. lord stanley and conn smythe.
If that were true, how come the only people you can name are those that never lived in Toronto (Stanley) or were mean spirited bigots (Smythe)?

Closed Thread