What side does Don Phaneuf play on?

Old
10-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Parrish

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
What side does Don Phaneuf play on?

Anyone? Does he play both sides?

I always thought he played on the right side only, but I'm not certain now and it's caused an arguement between me and my bro-in-law.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 02:42 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Left

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:36 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Left

Hes been playing right when paired with vandermeer. and right side on PP as well.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan View Post
Hes been playing right when paired with vandermeer. and right side on PP as well.
Really? Hmm, I never noticed. Maybe you're right, but I alway saw him on the left side last season. It doesn't really matter for defensemen anyway.

Old
10-31-2008, 03:48 PM
Northern Neighbour

Phaneuf can play both sides, but his strong side is the right point.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:46 PM
Parrish

Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Really? Hmm, I never noticed. Maybe you're right, but I alway saw him on the left side last season. It doesn't really matter for defensemen anyway.
How do you figure it dosnt matter? It matters alot. For some D it dosnt matter, but for others it's huge. I remember Dick Tarnstrom for example was terrible if used on the right side. Well he was terrible on the right side too lol. No he was much worse on the right though. It matters.

Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
How do you figure it dosnt matter? It matters alot. For some D it dosnt matter, but for others it's huge. I remember Dick Tarnstrom for example was terrible if used on the right side. Well he was terrible on the right side too lol. No he was much worse on the right though. It matters.
It matters, but it matters to forwards more. Most defensemen can and do play both sides. Forwards have to adjust too sometimes but it's easier for a defensmen.

Old
10-31-2008, 04:54 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
It matters, but it matters to forwards more. Most defensemen can and do play both sides. Forwards have to adjust too sometimes but it's easier for a defensmen.
I disagree. While I know that on our board, the emphasis on sides RE: D-men is overstated, it's definitely not easier for defenseman to switch sides than it is for forwards. The only thing tougher than a D-man playing on the side he's not used to is a winger converting to center.

Wing to wing is easy, center to wing is easy. RD to LD and W to C are tough, even for NHLers

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:57 PM
PsYcNeT

Not to mention in cases of line matching, the stick side can be important in regards to side played on.

PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I disagree. While I know that on our board, the emphasis on sides RE: D-men is overstated, it's definitely not easier for defenseman to switch sides than it is for forwards. The only thing tougher than a D-man playing on the side he's not used to is a winger converting to center.

Wing to wing is easy, center to wing is easy. RD to LD and W to C are tough, even for NHLers
Most D-men are forced to play both sides, so they are more ready to switch. I've played RD before (albeit, not at a very high level) and sometimes I'd switch to LD. It was never a big deal for, my job was simple: play defense and make sure no one is left open in the slot.

Old
11-01-2008, 02:42 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Most D-men are forced to play both sides, so they are more ready to switch. I've played RD before (albeit, not at a very high level) and sometimes I'd switch to LD. It was never a big deal for, my job was simple: play defense and make sure no one is left open in the slot.
I completely agree. I played LD as a righty pretty much from 10 to college, and anytime I'd have to switch to the right it's fine. But I think it's harder than that in the last post.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote