HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Canucks Gm is going off!

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
I definately want to see this also.
Me three.. viewing Strachan get torn apart has always been a lifelong dream of mine

Old
02-29-2004, 12:33 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Burke makes Strachan EAT IT. Gotta love it...

Old
02-29-2004, 12:33 AM
Carbonneau

Send a message via MSN to Carbonneau Send a message via Yahoo to Carbonneau
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Me three.. viewing Strachan get torn apart has always been a lifelong dream of mine

The perfect Hotstove would be Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, John Davidson, Bob Mackenzie

Old
02-29-2004, 12:37 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
That was awesome. I think Burke hates Al Strachan almost as much as he hates Tony Gallagher. I've been looking for the clip everywhere, but can't find it.

Really ****ty to see Ron MacLean defend Al so relentlessly though. What's the point? Everyone knows he's full of ****.

Ron: "Well, I don't know who Al's sources are..." Neither does Al, Ron, neither does Al.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:08 AM
Rotting Corpse*

Send a message via AIM to Rotting Corpse* Send a message via MSN to Rotting Corpse*
I can't find video, but here's an audio for some people:

http://www.ajh.ca/audio/burke.mp3

Old
02-29-2004, 01:19 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
The perfect Hotstove would be Brett Hull, Jeremy Roenick, John Davidson, Bob Mackenzie
Disagree. The perfect HotStove?

Al Strachan, Larry Brooks, Tony Gallagher...and Brian Burke.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Carbonneau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Disagree. The perfect HotStove?

Al Strachan, Larry Brooks, Tony Gallagher...and Brian Burke.

throw in the fat kid too

Old
02-29-2004, 01:21 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Garrioch? Sure, why not.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:23 AM
Carbonneau

This is how it would go...

Strachen " Well I heard Vancouver is going to trade Bertuzzi to TOR for Reichel because VAN wants more speed"

Burke " I'm going to kill him"

Old
02-29-2004, 02:11 AM
fullmetalninja

Being in the states, I can't comment too much on Strachan.

But I did see this tonight(i have the NHL package on cable) and I have to say, Burke is a tool- once again.

I just can't agree with you guys at all on this one. He is a General Manager- he should have a least a *little* restraint.

We know here in chicago that Mike Smith was making right around 1 mil/year in chicago(and probably just a lil more). Okay. That's the hawks. One of the cheapest, worst run organizations in any sport.

How much *would* Burke make? Let's say he's only gonna get 1.5 mil. Fine. Where does Burke start the negotiations at? I mean, surely he does negotiate for his own contract, right?

So maybe he's not asking for 2 mil. Maybe he's asking for 1.75, and hoping to end up around 1.6. What's so magical about that number? Can someone explain or is it what I think it is- Burke throwing up a smoke screen...

I've had this conversation with Nuck fans on this board before, and I just don't see how Burke is the greatest thing since sliced bread... I'm sorry. He is lucky as anyone could be, with Bertuzzi and Naslund being the exception to the rule. Yea JoVo is awesome. But geesh... Pavel Bure was a pretty decent Talent when he was moved as well. YOu should get back a player of that quality for a young Pavel Bure. So what Has Burke Really done for that franchise?

Last Season, if he does something OTHER than sit on his thumbs- there was a great chance Vancouver goes to the finals. This year is shaping up to be the same way- and Burke is blaming his lack of contract on his inability to make a trade.

Well why is there a hold up in him getting a new deal? It could only be 1) Money, or 2) terms(length, out clauses, etc etc). Or it could be choice 3) The owners don't like him/don't think he's any good. Right? What is the hold up???

But back on point... I don't enough about the Canucks to know why burke hasn't been resigned. I don't. But to come out and blast guys who were questioning what was going on- when something obviously is going on... seems a little too convienant for me...

-fullmetalninja

Old
02-29-2004, 02:15 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja

But I did see this tonight(i have the NHL package on cable) and I have to say, Burke is a tool- once again.

I just can't agree with you guys at all on this one. He is a General Manager- he should have a least a *little* restraint.

We know here in chicago that Mike Smith was making right around 1 mil/year in chicago(and probably just a lil more). Okay. That's the hawks. One of the cheapest, worst run organizations in any sport.

How much *would* Burke make? Let's say he's only gonna get 1.5 mil. Fine. Where does Burke start the negotiations at? I mean, surely he does negotiate for his own contract, right?

So maybe he's not asking for 2 mil. Maybe he's asking for 1.75, and hoping to end up around 1.6. What's so magical about that number? Can someone explain or is it what I think it is- Burke throwing up a smoke screen...

I've had this conversation with Nuck fans on this board before, and I just don't see how Burke is the greatest thing since sliced bread... I'm sorry. He is lucky as anyone could be, with Bertuzzi and Naslund being the exception to the rule. Yea JoVo is awesome. But geesh... Pavel Bure was a pretty decent Talent when he was moved as well. YOu should get back a player of that quality for a young Pavel Bure. So what Has Burke Really done for that franchise?

Last Season, if he does something OTHER than sit on his thumbs- there was a great chance Vancouver goes to the finals. This year is shaping up to be the same way- and Burke is blaming his lack of contract on his inability to make a trade.

Well why is there a hold up in him getting a new deal? It could only be 1) Money, or 2) terms(length, out clauses, etc etc). Or it could be choice 3) The owners don't like him/don't think he's any good. Right? What is the hold up???

But back on point... I don't enough about the Canucks to know why burke hasn't been resigned. I don't. But to come out and blast guys who were questioning what was going on- when something obviously is going on... seems a little too convienant for me...

-fullmetalninja
Wow, what a vapid post devoid of sensical content. It had nothing to do with the actual negotiations that are/aren't taking place or the performance of Burke as a GM, and more to do with Burke being pissed off that Strachan insinuated he knew what was going on.

And your Mike Smith comparison is idiotic. Sather makes $3 million per in New York, I suppose that entitles Burke to what, $10 million? John McCaw certainly doesn't take cues from Bill Wirtz as to how to run a hockey team.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:11 AM
rye&ginger

fullmetalninja, if you knew more about Al Strachan I think you would realize the comments here perhaps? Sorry if Im off base with that.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:13 AM
ohlund2.2

That was hilarious. I loved watching Burkey go off on Al.

The closest thing to a smile you'll get out of BB is :| .

Old
02-29-2004, 07:43 AM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Strachan is much like the Tyson Nash of CBC, an annoying disturber. He seems to stretch the truth if in fact there is any truth at all to what he says. I don't think he's wrong all the time either but what is the chance of showing up every Saturday night and being controversial and right at the same time? He needs to grasp at some straws to make for good air time. Brian Burke always looks like somebody has pissed in his vodka and should really not be responding to Strachan, because there is a great chance it will lead to more foolishness not less. As an aside to this what has Burke really done other than not make many huge blunders?( which is still pretty admirable in today's NHL) I am sure that is a performance issue with Burke, they want to see if Burke's faith in Cloutier has been misplaced and if he can take a pretty good team and find the right piece or two to contend for a title. If Brian Burke was on the open market what team would really want him to be their GM? What would he be worth?

Old
02-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Mizral

Burke has made one fairly large blunder in terms of trades, and one in terms of drafts:

- Scatchard & Muckalt for Felix Potvin

- Drafting Nathan Smith in the 1st round of 2000

Outside of that, he's been great.

fullmetalninja, about the Bure deal, let's not forget Bure was making $10 million dollars and had sat out a little over a year, waiting to be traded. Those kind of things seriously lessen a players' trade value. Rarely do you see teams even break even in terms of getting back a valuable player in deals like Bure (Weight, Kovalev, the Jagr trades, etc..). Burke not only broke even, but most have said he actually got the better end of it.

But it's not always the trades you make, it's the trades you don't make too. He didn't move Bertuzzi when Bertuzzi was sucking, and the media was choking down his throat to move him. He didn't give up on the Sedin Twins when almost everyone on this very board were calling them busts. Same goes for Allen.

He's stuck to his guns about Dan Cloutier. Dan is now having by far and away the best season of his career, and if he shows progress in post-season, and wins a round or two (or even if he doesn't, so long as he plays great), Burke could look very good on this one too.

The year before Burke came here, the Canucks finished with 58 points. Last year, we broke the franchise record for points in a season.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja

-fullmetalninja
Very long, and mostly uninformed post. If you can't comment on Strachan than you really have nothing to comment here.

Guys like Bertuzzi didn't just break out, Bertuzzi was struggling and Burke held on to him. He is not the greatest GM, but he turned a team that was in the cellar and on it's way out of town, into one of the top teams in the league with like 60 straight sellouts. He has made his owner a big profit, and looks to again this year. Sure he had made some mistakes, but this isn't what this is about. This is about Strachan telling the fans that Burke is demandin 2 million dollars a year, which is completley untrue according to Burke. Burke was frustrated with Strachan's continual dishonesty and fabrication (which you admitidly have no idea about) and that's why everyone here is agreeing with what he did, because they have a basis to form opinions.

Burke came on CBC to set the record straight for the fans of the Canucks, and we respect that.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:23 PM
albathegreat*

A few years ago when Burke and Strachan were arguing Burke said to Al when Al was commenting on a rumor, Burke said Al how many rumors have ever came true, 0?
Strachan replied the same as your playoff record.

Well I didnt say it very well, you would of have to seen it....

Old
02-29-2004, 12:25 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Burke has made one fairly large blunder in terms of trades, and one in terms of drafts:

- Scatchard & Muckalt for Felix Potvin

- Drafting Nathan Smith in the 1st round of 2000

Other than that he's been great.
I'm by no means a Burke basher but there is plenty more room for criticism than that. 2nd-round pick for Drake Berehowsky anyone? Martin Brochu?

Old
02-29-2004, 12:30 PM
DallasStars2003

Send a message via AIM to DallasStars2003
I personally don't like Brian Burke. Most see him as being great television, but I jsut see it as annyoing and he comes off to me as a big whiner. Whenever he's unhappy about something he goes running to the press to vent his anger. Great TV to some, annoying to me.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
I'm by no means a Burke basher but there is plenty more room for criticism than that. 2nd-round pick for Drake Berehowsky anyone? Martin Brochu?
I humbly thank you for that 2nd round pick

Old
02-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Street Hawk

No kidding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I humbly thank you for that 2nd round pick
We had 3 2nd round picks in a good 2001 draft. Atlanta's because we swapped our 2000 2nd rounder for their 2001 2nd rounder. Our own, plus a compensatory pick for allowing Messier to walk away as a Free Agent.

Unfortunately, late in the season, Burke dealt one for Berehowsky (the Atlanta one), then sent another one along with Aucoin to TB for Cloutier, and just before the draft, sent the final one, along with a 3rd round pick for FLA for Alex Auld.

There Berehowsky deal was absolutely terrible. And given what happened down the stretch in 2001, he could just made the Cloutier deal in the offseason. After Nazzy went down, the Nucks leaned on Essensa to get into the playoffs. And in the playoffs, Crawford made a huge mistake in playing Cloutier in game 1 against the Avs, in which he gave up like 5 goals, maybe 6. Clouts was just way too nervous. A poised Essensa in nets and maybe the Nucks take game 1.

But, what moving all those 2nd round picks, especially the Berehowsky and Auld ones did was prevent the Nucks from trading up in the 2001 draft, from the number 16 pick to land a pick in the top 10 and grab Dan Blackburn. The Atlanta #2 pick would have been like #32 or #33 overall, while the Auld pick was around #50.

A package of swapping 1st rounders, plus 2 second rounders likely could have gotten the Nucks a shot at Blackburn or someone else, but the Nucks ended up with Umberger who they can't sign. And all that remains from the Berehowsky deal is Tyler Bouck. And Auld, still a good goalie prospect, but would have like to see Burke be aggressive and try to get an impact goalie for the future and bring him along properly, unlike New York.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
We're talking about 'large' blunders, korn.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:14 PM
Reign Nateo

To top it off, the player Nashville drafted with that pick was Tmofei Shishkanov.

3 of my favourite prospects we have traded the picks that got them: Shishkanov, Polushin, and Yakubov.

Also don't forget Vadim Sharifjanov, who the Devils picked Tomas Philal with the pick we gave for him.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
To top it off, the player Nashville drafted with that pick was Tmofei Shishkanov.

3 of my favourite prospects we have traded the picks that got them: Shishkanov, Polushin, and Yakubov.

Also don't forget Vadim Sharifjanov, who the Devils picked Tomas Philal with the pick we gave for him.
Tomas Plihal was a fifth rounder of the Sharks in '01. New Jersey used the pick we gave them for Sharifijanov to take Teemu Laine.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:26 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Brian Burke sounds like a typical whiner. Come on, how many peope make speculations? 100% of the media makes speculations on trades, contracts, proposals .. what's the big deal mr burke? You work as apart of the sports entertainment business, can't take someone accusing you of working out a contract for your self interest? boo hoo hooo

So someone accused burke of trying to get a big contract, why would you be so ashamed of that? Every hockey player and smart businessman would do the same? why act like you're not like everyone else.

lol

Closed Thread