HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Canucks Gm is going off!

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Sammy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
Brian Burke sounds like a typical whiner. Come on, how many peope make speculations? 100% of the media makes speculations on trades, contracts, proposals .. what's the big deal mr burke? You work as apart of the sports entertainment business, can't take someone accusing you of working out a contract for your self interest? boo hoo hooo

So someone accused burke of trying to get a big contract, why would you be so ashamed of that? Every hockey player and smart businessman would do the same? why act like you're not like everyone else.

lol
If you can listen, Burke wasnt p/o'd about speculation, rather that Strachan cites things as fact which Burke said is false.
Do you actually think that Strachan is a credible journalist?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Brian Burke sounds like a typical whiner.
I'm sure that is something Leafs fans are quite familiar with... on to Burke vs. Strachan... Al had this coming. He reports unsubstantial, fabricated rumors as being "factual."
I'd like him to come out and hint at who his "sources" are that passed along the information that the number being passed around in negotiations between Burke and the Canucks is $2M.

And I'm sure Burke's comments were shared with many other executives who feel the same way with Strachan. He is a weasel (and looks like one too, with those beedy eyes!).

Old
02-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
If you can listen, Burke wasnt p/o'd about speculation, rather that Strachan cites things as fact which Burke said is false.
Do you actually think that Strachan is a credible journalist?

Tell me where you heard strachan say this was a FACT. I've yet to hear strachan use the word "FACT"

Burke also agrees that strachan makes comments that are way open.... in his interview with maclean.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:50 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Ron Maclean also agrees with al strachan that the 2 million dollar figure was heard elsewhere, aside from strachan. Do you hear Burke dissing maclean? besides his first comments to ron maclean about him not being an engineer.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Tell me where you heard strachan say this was a FACT. I've yet to hear strachan use the word "FACT"

Burke also agrees that strachan makes comments that are way open.... in his interview with maclean.
Strachan says & I quote word for word

"Brian Burke wants 2 million dollars"
He is quoting that as a fact & is not hedging by saying "I understand" or "Sources tell me" or anything of that like.
The guys a weasel, a liar & has no credibility.Keep on defending him. It looks good on ya.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Ron Maclean also agrees with al strachan that the 2 million dollar figure was heard elsewhere, aside from strachan. Do you hear Burke dissing maclean? besides his first comments to ron maclean about him not being an engineer.
Ron Maclean is not citing it as a fact. What part dont you get?

Old
02-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Ron Maclean is not citing it as a fact. What part dont you get?
Where did i say maclean said it was "FACT" .. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

"Ron Maclean also agrees with al strachan that the 2 million dollar figure was heard elsewhere", meaning maclean had also heard this rumour about the 2 million dollar asking price from another source.. other than strachan.

not once did i use the word "fact" with ron maclean.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Sammy*

Quote:

"Ron Maclean also agrees with al strachan that the 2 million dollar figure was heard elsewhere", meaning maclean had also heard this rumour about the 2 million dollar asking price from another source.. other than strachan.

This is getting tiresome. You seem to say that he hammered weasel over the 2 mil figure he should hammer Maclean.Why would he diss Maclean? Maclean was not citing the 2 mil as a fact. Weasel was.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
This is getting tiresome. You seem to say that he hammered weasel over the 2 mil figure he should hammer Maclean.Why would he diss Maclean? Maclean was not citing the 2 mil as a fact. Weasel was.

You seem upset an on the verge of tears. please don't cry.. please don't cry..

I'll take everything i said back.. if you promise me.. you won't cry.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:22 PM
maruk14

Quote:

Burke also said during that interview that a responsible journalist, like McLean, would have phoned Burke and at least asked him about it before going on national TV with that figure ... McLean just kind of gave him a knowing nod and didn't say anything. That is what this comes down to, and Burke is right. Strachan is a tabloid journalist. The fact that he is on CBC every Sat night just makes the network look bad.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Sammy*

Quote:

You should join a debating club. You could use a brush up on your skills. It would also help if you had some facts right too.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Whoa...it's one of those mythical creatures...I wasn't aware they existed.

Are we seeing an actual 'Strachan Fan'?

*BOGGLE*

Old
03-01-2004, 12:32 AM
fullmetalninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit

And your Mike Smith comparison is idiotic. Sather makes $3 million per in New York, I suppose that entitles Burke to what, $10 million? John McCaw certainly doesn't take cues from Bill Wirtz as to how to run a hockey team.

Well maybe you could understand it if you would just think about it for a second. Burke was supposedly po'd because Strachan said he was asking for 2 mil- right?

My point is that an unsuccessful GM, on a cheap team makes 1 million. So how much would a successful GM make, on a cheap team? How much would he ask for?

IF Sather is making 3 mil in New York- to not make the playoffs... What does Burke *ASK* for. Because that is what Strachan was saying.....

You obviously have never negotiated for anything, if you didn't understand my point. Somehow I doubt Burke is just waiting around for an evaluation at the end of the year, and an increase in pay of 1-2%.... Especially when on the "free market" I'd say the going rate would be closer to 2 million... wouldn't you? Not Sather money, but not MIke Smith money either.....(right?).

-fullmetalninja

Old
03-01-2004, 12:42 AM
ArtG

The point is that Sather shouldn't set market value for a GM and Burke shouldn't be asking for $2 million.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonneau
That was the best thing I've seen in a while. Did you see the look on Burke's face when Ron tried to suck up ( which he does well ), and say the Strachen was trying to say that " Burke was worth 2 million dollars "......that was great

where is the link for this? i missed it this past Saturday and want to see the video

Old
03-01-2004, 10:11 AM
fullmetalninja

Wow...

And that was my point as well. Sather at 3 mil shouldn't set the market. But an UNSUCCESSFUL GM- LIKE MIKE SMITH made 1 mil/year- so isn't that a floor?

-fullmetalninja

Old
03-01-2004, 10:55 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
IMO that proves that Smith is overpaid, so no that's not a floor. But that's just my opinion.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:59 AM
DiggerDan

Quote:

I think this post confirms it. Al? Al, is that you?

Old
03-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
where is the link for this? i missed it this past Saturday and want to see the video
Someone gave this audio link earlier, I don't think there's a video link around.

http://www.ajh.ca/audio/burke.mp3

The joys of live TV

Old
03-01-2004, 12:40 PM
PhillyNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
Wow...

And that was my point as well. Sather at 3 mil shouldn't set the market. But an UNSUCCESSFUL GM- LIKE MIKE SMITH made 1 mil/year- so isn't that a floor?

-fullmetalninja
2nd floor.

Sather gets the penthouse.

Seriously though, I admire Burke for the way he talks in front of camera, simply entertaining, and I laughed my butt off on that one.

Old
03-01-2004, 02:36 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I'm actually glad Burke came out and said all this...

like many other Canuck fans I was wondering what exactly he was asking for... while IMO considering what he has brought this organization in profits and success, $2mill is a justified figure for him to negotiate from, it's certainly nice to hear that he's not asking for that - which makes this whole "wait till the offseason" thing even more puzzling to me... don't forget that Burke has made his ownership group more than 10X whatever he's asking for (when you consider the huge losses he's turned into significant profits).

the thing that was getting out from all this from the Vancouver media, which pissed off Burke (and rightfully so) is that how could Burke justify playing hardball in all his negotiations with his players, and then turn around and ask to double his own contract ... Burke I think successfully put those rumours to bed.

up until now the media - through not only Strachan, but others - have done a pretty good job at making Burke look like the bad guy in all this, his comments on HNIC have certainly changed the situation...

but now I'm curious what exactly is the ballpark that Burke is negotiating from... or has no figure even been discussed?? does the ownership simply refuse to sign him now?? maybe they don't want the guy back, and if this is the case the best PR move through which to do this is by suggesting that it's Burke who has walked away (by letting him be a free agent this summer) rather then them playing hardball in contract talks and not wanting him back.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:43 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
but now I'm curious what exactly is the ballpark that Burke is negotiating from... or has no figure even been discussed?? does the ownership simply refuse to sign him now?? maybe they don't want the guy back, and if this is the case the best PR move through which to do this is by suggesting that it's Burke who has walked away (by letting him be a free agent this summer) rather then them playing hardball in contract talks and not wanting him back.
Either that or it's one of the most lame-brained PR moves EVER by someone, if that's the case, who seriously underestimated the media coverage on such an announcement.

Old
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Either that or it's one of the most lame-brained PR moves EVER by someone, if that's the case, who seriously underestimated the media coverage on such an announcement.
That's the way Willes sees it too (here ). What started off 'not supposed to be a distraction' has morphed into a major distraction.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:07 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerDan
I think this post confirms it. Al? Al, is that you?

hahah He has to find his "sources" somewhere, he's probably using chatboards and quoting trades made up by 12 year old kids. Come out of the closet Al.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:15 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Burke has made one fairly large blunder in terms of trades, and one in terms of drafts:

- Scatchard & Muckalt for Felix Potvin

- Drafting Nathan Smith in the 1st round of 2000

Weekes, Scatchard & Muckalt for Potvin, 2nd, 3rd. Looks bad when you leave out the 2nd/3rd.

Smith- yeah that one sucked.

Closed Thread