HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez Commercial

Old
10-06-2007, 02:12 AM
sandman441

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Gomez Commercial

I posted a few of these on the Devils forum last year. I think he has 3 or so new ones and this one is probably the funniest. I might have to troubleshoot it so if you don't see the video right away give me a second.

Last edited by sandman441: 10-06-2007 at 02:46 AM.
sandman441 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im sorry but thats a terrible commercial. i mean, i get trying to market to the rangers audience or whatever, but what the hell is that?

thats the best they can do?!

i was in advertising for a while, and id be ashamed to even present that as an ad to a client.

This, is a great commercial taking advantage of a name player, a big market, and showcasing a product/service very well....

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:31 AM
sandman441

Yeah but this is for a local cable company. And they are basically just using his name you can't even get the nhl network or center ice to watch it. The best we get is VS and HDNEt.

Old
10-06-2007, 02:33 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman441 View Post
Yeah but this is for a local cable company.
still, its quite poor.

just my personal opinion, i just hate ads that make me roll my eyes. i think commercials have been taken to a new level since the superbowl started showcasing the great ads.

im actually a person that really appreciates good advertising, so to me, this is a real letdown.

Old
10-06-2007, 02:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

probably the best ad ive ever seen...

Old
10-06-2007, 02:38 AM
sandman441

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
still, its quite poor.

just my personal opinion, i just hate ads that make me roll my eyes. i think commercials have been taken to a new level since the superbowl started showcasing the great ads.

im actually a person that really appreciates good advertising, so to me, this is a real letdown.

I'm not arguing that most of his commercials are pretty corny. This was just kind of way out there and you kind of have to do a double take and ask yourself if you actually just saw that.

Old
10-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm not arguing that most of his commercials are pretty corny. This was just kind of way out there and you kind of have to do a double take and ask yourself if you actually just saw that.
didnt mean to jump all over you bro.

ive been talking to some idiot yankee fans (yes im a yankee fan) who blame tonights loss on a-rod (yes im an arod supporter).

its really frustrated me, and made me an angry person right now. trying to talk to spoiled yankee fans is akin to rectal surgery.

Old
10-06-2007, 02:41 AM
sandman441

Nah you weren't. I understand your point but you have to realize this is a small time cable company and they probably didn't put too much into the commercial other than just to get Scott on tv.

Old
10-06-2007, 02:47 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Ok then..that was the worst commerical i've ever seen......i'll take Bobby G over that thing..or whatever it was ANYDAY.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Nah you weren't. I understand your point but you have to realize this is a small time cable company and they probably didn't put too much into the commercial other than just to get Scott on tv.
i dunno, like i said, i was in advertising and marketing for a few years, and one thing that strikes me is, if youre going to shell out all the cash to get a major sports player (semi major maybe?) to endorse you or your products, (and believe me, its never cheap) then you should spend a lot more on making sure the ad is great.

if i were scotty id be annoyed with my agent for making me do such a retarded commercial. why would you want yourself associated with poor production quality like that?

Old
10-06-2007, 02:48 AM
sandman441

I think they sponsor alot of stuff he does. That's probably why or how they got him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ok then..that was the worst commerical i've ever seen......i'll take Bobby G over that thing..or whatever it was ANYDAY.

It's for the cable company here and I think it's selling cellphones.

Old
10-06-2007, 02:50 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
I think they sponsor alot of stuff he does. That's probably why or how they got him.

It's for the cable company here and I think it's selling cellphones.
Ouch..well I don't think they will sell one phone with that horrible attempt of a commercial.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:50 AM
sandman441

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ouch..well I don't think they will sell one phone with that horrible attempt of a commercial.

Yeah it's hard to say as AT&T is coming back plus GCI's coverage isn't the greatest. If you didn't see the rest here they are.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/AC832...ommercial.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/3160D...mercial-2.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/C6432...ournament.aspx

Old
10-06-2007, 04:37 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I personally like the Ovechkin commercial for the NHL.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 08:49 AM
bubba5

I've always like the McDonalds one from the 80's with Larry Bird and Michael Jorden playing Horse.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:12 AM
jagrgodr

omg... i feel retarded, i spent 5 mins trying to figure out how to put a youtube video on here so i give up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HZSzpBpxk

Last edited by jagrgodr: 10-06-2007 at 09:22 AM.
jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Not one of my favorite commercials.... but sticking with the NHL theme, hilarious none the less

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 10:00 AM
bk3nj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrgodr View Post
omg... i feel retarded, i spent 5 mins trying to figure out how to put a youtube video on here so i give up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7HZSzpBpxk
best. video. ever. Well, not quite, but it's pretty freakin funny, and I think it's exactly the sort of commercial that could work to attract people to the game (certainly much better than the stupid warrior commericals from a couple years ago).

I just hope that the NHL pays to place these adds at sometime other than during a hockey game. Have you noticed that? Why would the league place the ad at a time where it's going to be seen by people who are ALREADY WATCHING THE GAME?!? Gotta admit, I've never really understood that one. A great time to play these would be during other sporting events - the baseball playoffs, football games, etc...

Last edited by bk3nj: 10-06-2007 at 10:07 AM.
bk3nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Jay88*

Quote:
I posted a few of these on the Devils forum last year. I think he has 3 or so new ones and this one is probably the funniest. I might have to troubleshoot it so if you don't see the video right away give me a second.

How corny. The best thing about that commecial is the toasted/roasted marshmellows, which I havent had in like 20 years. Damn they looked good.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 11:21 AM
jagrgodr

when i saw that pic in the video before it starts, i thought to myself why is a kid blowing smoke out of his mouth!

Old
10-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Guys, there is a big difference between a commercial for a local cable company, on a budget of a few thousand dollars, and a commercial for one of the world's biggest telecom companies, or a sports league with international reach. It's like someone showed you a bicycle and you say, "that's pretty crappy, I like this Maybach." Judge something on it's own merits, don't compare it to something that was produced with completely different constraints.

It takes a huge amount of money to make even a 30-second spot work: not just filming, but writing and editing take up a lot of man-hours, which adds up to a lot of cost.

The Gomez commercial had a decent idea, and just the sort of production you'd expect, considering it's undoubtedly limited budget (and it wasn't aimed at a Rangers audience, it was aimed at Alaskans).

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
Guys, there is a big difference between a commercial for a local cable company, on a budget of a few thousand dollars, and a commercial for one of the world's biggest telecom companies, or a sports league with international reach. It's like someone showed you a bicycle and you say, "that's pretty crappy, I like this Maybach." Judge something on it's own merits, don't compare it to something that was produced with completely different constraints.

It takes a huge amount of money to make even a 30-second spot work: not just filming, but writing and editing take up a lot of man-hours, which adds up to a lot of cost.

The Gomez commercial had a decent idea, and just the sort of production you'd expect, considering it's undoubtedly limited budget (and it wasn't aimed at a Rangers audience, it was aimed at Alaskans).

unless gomez worked for free, i highly highly HIGHLY doubt the cost was just a few thousand dollars.

also, good writing doesnt have to be super expensive.

heck, you could go to a local college, and find a creative writing class, and as a contest ask them to submit ideas for a commercial. the winner gets $500. i bet youd have a TON more ideas that are better than this, which cost less to make.

Old
10-06-2007, 12:55 PM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post

Quoted for truthatude. It's alaska. Thats like the same as a commercial from zimbabe

Old
10-06-2007, 01:04 PM
ILikeItVeryMuch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
Not one of my favorite commercials.... but sticking with the NHL theme, hilarious none the less

That is awesome

ILikeItVeryMuch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2007, 02:19 PM
MrEctions
Willy Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk3nj View Post
best. video. ever. Well, not quite, but it's pretty freakin funny, and I think it's exactly the sort of commercial that could work to attract people to the game (certainly much better than the stupid warrior commericals from a couple years ago).

I just hope that the NHL pays to place these adds at sometime other than during a hockey game. Have you noticed that? Why would the league place the ad at a time where it's going to be seen by people who are ALREADY WATCHING THE GAME?!? Gotta admit, I've never really understood that one. A great time to play these would be during other sporting events - the baseball playoffs, football games, etc...
That is the best NHL video Ive ever seen, so fricken funny and would really attract more people to the game imo. These are all the stars of our game, shown to be like normal people, and could really appeal to new fans....

MrEctions is offline   Reply With Quote