HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nylander value?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Tinordi24*

vCash: 500
Nylander value?

Obviously this guys gonna get traded.

My thoughts on him:

I'm not a big fan of soft euros and NILander is just that. He doesnt hit anyone or stand up for teamates. Having said that the guy hustles his tail off and has looked pretty good the 2 games he's played after missing all season with the broken leg. Dude can make some sick plays and is ultra quick.

He is a UFA at seasons end and would work perfectly for a team making a playoff push. On a team that already is physical and has other guys to stand up for him he'd make an ideal 2nd line center. He was arguably our best forward in last years playoffs.

I'm thinkin that teams like the Isles and Jersey would want this guy. If a couple more teams want him I wonder how much he can fetch? I'm not holdin my breathe but a couple picks would be nice

Old
02-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Say what you will about him, the guy is fresh and very well rested.

For a team weak at center, he'd be a cheap addition. He's a veteran with a solid two-way game, but he doesn't hit and he doesn't score goals himself. He's a playmaking center. If that's OK for a team, he'd be a good addition. Maybe for a team that loses out on its first targeted player to another team.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Peter10

Send a message via ICQ to Peter10
I would say a low 2nd at best or a B-level prospect. As you said, dont hold your breath...unless you wait till march 9th until someone is ready to overpay, but it might be to late than.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:43 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter10
I would say a low 2nd at best or a B-level prospect. As you said, dont hold your breath...unless you wait till march 9th until someone is ready to overpay, but it might be to late than.
Agreed. A 2nd from a top contender, meaning a 55th to 60th overall pick, sounds more or less like his value. The Caps would not expect much in return. They will be letting him go in July.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Weary

Hmmmm....a play-making center who isn't physical. Good for a lot of assists, but not many goals. He'll be a UFA at the end of the season, so it's a rental.

I think the going price for that type of player is a top goalie prospect and draft picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.

Old
02-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weary
Hmmmm....a play-making center who isn't physical. Good for a lot of assists, but not many goals. He'll be a UFA at the end of the season, so it's a rental.

I think the going price for that type of player is a top goalie prospect and draft picks in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds.
LOL

In his defense...Nylander is a superior player to Oates at the time of his trade. That was the worst trade Clarke ever made..it had to be!

Old
02-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

True enough. Nylander will be playing hockey for some time, just not in Washington. The main difference is that Nylander is quite a strong skater, and he can take a hit well enough, he just does not dish them out. A team with a need for passing center, though, could use him. A playoff-bound team like Nashville could benefit a great deal from adding someone like Nylander, in my opinion.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Peter10

Send a message via ICQ to Peter10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
True enough. Nylander will be playing hockey for some time, just not in Washington. The main difference is that Nylander is quite a strong skater, and he can take a hit well enough, he just does not dish them out. A team with a need for passing center, though, could use him. A playoff-bound team like Nashville could benefit a great deal from adding someone like Nylander, in my opinion.
Buy a round (probably), that might be enough for Nashville (or similar teams) but i dunno. If i was a true contender i would stay away from Nylander, his trade value is probably higher than what he would bring to a top team. So i would guess if he is dealt, its to a 2nd-tier contender or a team with major injury woes.

Old
02-29-2004, 09:13 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
if calgary are still weak at center, might be good for them, maybe even to setup iginla. am i way off base on that 1?

Old
02-29-2004, 09:23 AM
capsfandan

Nylander would be a nice cheap pickup for any of the contenders looking for a center upgrade. he played very well for the caps in last years playoffs.

Old
02-29-2004, 09:24 AM
PSUhockey34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24
Obviously this guys gonna get traded.

My thoughts on him:

I'm not a big fan of soft euros and NILander is just that. He doesnt hit anyone or stand up for teamates. Having said that the guy hustles his tail off and has looked pretty good the 2 games he's played after missing all season with the broken leg. Dude can make some sick plays and is ultra quick.

He is a UFA at seasons end and would work perfectly for a team making a playoff push. On a team that already is physical and has other guys to stand up for him he'd make an ideal 2nd line center. He was arguably our best forward in last years playoffs.

I'm thinkin that teams like the Isles and Jersey would want this guy. If a couple more teams want him I wonder how much he can fetch? I'm not holdin my breathe but a couple picks would be nice
Nylander might not play with an edge but he isnt soft...I think his offensive ability is very underrated and like you said can make some sick plays...but he'll drive you nuts b/c he hardly ever shoots the puck and blows alot of scoring chances that way...he tends to hold onto the puck a little longer than he should and reallys slow down the rush sometimes with his cutbacks

At his talent level and current salary, he's a real bargain

Old
02-29-2004, 10:37 AM
musdy

buffalo is interested

Old
02-29-2004, 01:07 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I agree that he's one of the most creative playmaking centers. He also takes hits well and he's durable. Before this fluke injury, I think he had the longest active GP streak. He even played with a broken jaw for the first part of the 02-03 season. Add the fact that he had a really good playoffs last season.

Be that as it may, he is UFA this season. He is a classic rental player, and I don't expect more than a 3rd for him unless there's a bidding war. I really think he'd be a good fit on either NYI or Boston.

Old
03-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24

Exactly why would the Isles want him? Where is he going to play? He wouldn't even dress regularly in Long Island, with Yashin, Kvasha, Scatchard, and Peca all ahead of him at center ice. On the wing, he'd be behind Parrish, Weinhandl, Czerkawski, and Hunter.

Isles wouldn't take Nylander is you waived him, let alone give you a pick or a prospect.

03-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsFan@Vassar
I agree that he's one of the most creative playmaking centers. He also takes hits well and he's durable. Before this fluke injury, I think he had the longest active GP streak. He even played with a broken jaw for the first part of the 02-03 season. Add the fact that he had a really good playoffs last season.

Be that as it may, he is UFA this season. He is a classic rental player, and I don't expect more than a 3rd for him unless there's a bidding war. I really think he'd be a good fit on either NYI or Boston.

Again, I ask, exactly why would he Isles want him? Where would he play?

Isles need big physical wingers and a banger on defense. They have zero need for another finese winger, particularly one coming off a major injury.

Old
03-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Hellsempire

The Devils are not interested in Nylander and he would be a good fit in either Buffalo or the NYI... Not the Devils... Devils are interested in Jeff O'Neill from the Canes...

Old
03-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTheHero
Ehm... Finesse centre if I may

YOu many not. Here in North America, we spell it "center."

Old
03-01-2004, 02:53 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
The Devils are not interested in Nylander and he would be a good fit in either Buffalo or the NYI... Not the Devils... Devils are interested in Jeff O'Neill from the Canes...

For the third time, why would the Isles want Nylander? Where would he play? Kvasha is having a career year, and the Isles already have Yashin, Peca, and Scatchard as centers, Hunter, Parrish, and Czerkawski on the wingers.

The Isles would have zero interest in Nylander. Zilch. Zippo. Would pass on him if he wave waived.

Old
03-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I have to agree that the Islanders do not appear to have any need for a Nylander. Kvasha looks awesome this year, and with a presumably rested Yashin coming back, once he shakes off the rust they will be quite deep.

I was thinking that Nashville might be a team with some interest in Nylander, actually. Cheap to acquire, and I think a playmaker is the sort of addition that might pay dividends there, since the rest of the team is so gritty. They added Sullivan, but might still be able to use some more scoring. Let him walk at season's end. Anyway, just a thought.

Old
03-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
And they'll get him too... When the swamp catches fire and hell freezes over lol just kidding, no pun intended.

Hey its cool... I am just hearing this almost everyday here in NJ that the Devils are interested in O'Neill and will they trade for him? Probably not but only one could hope...

Old
03-01-2004, 03:11 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Edmonton might be interested. Normally we shy away from soft players, but we are really hurting at center right now.

What would you want?

Old
03-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
Edmonton might be interested. Normally we shy away from soft players, but we are really hurting at center right now.

What would you want?
I cannot imagine that he has much value beyond a third rounder. Depending on interest, he might be had for a fourth on deadline day. Just a guess, though. He will be walking in July anyway. All he can do through the end of the season is help win games the Caps don't especially need to be winning, looking ahead to draft positioning.

Old
03-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And here in europe we spell it may.

To be blunt, your proofreading help is neither invited nor appreciated. So, I will politely ask you to keep your corrections to yourself and return to discussing hockey.

Old
03-01-2004, 03:47 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588
I cannot imagine that he has much value beyond a third rounder. Depending on interest, he might be had for a fourth on deadline day. Just a guess, though. He will be walking in July anyway. All he can do through the end of the season is help win games the Caps don't especially need to be winning, looking ahead to draft positioning.

Of course, there are all sorts of wildcards here, including the injury picture for contending teams.

Old
03-01-2004, 03:54 PM
SwOOsh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
To be blunt, your proofreading help is neither invited nor appreciated. So, I will politely ask you to keep your corrections to yourself and return to discussing hockey.
Here in North America, we spell it "center."

Hypocrite?

Closed Thread