HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread 08-09, Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2009, 03:05 PM
AllCanadienFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
What kind of player is Trotter? I know he's a speedy skilled center, but is he a scorer? a playmaker? Does he have aspects of his game that will overcome his lack of size? Does he have a shot at the NHL? Is he good defensivly?

So many questions, because i haven't heard about him since he was aquired by Timmins last season. And did we learn what were the personnal problems that got him out of the university?
He has been hot lately. I would classify him as a scorer more than a play maker even though he has 20 assists. He isn't as good with the puck in the offensive zone as I think he could be, never is the guy who goes behind the net to dig it out. He has been given lots of opportunity by Lever but Lehoux and Deharnais are better centres and maybe even Maxwell. I don't see NHL anywhere in the future but who knows.

Old
02-21-2009, 05:11 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
What kind of player is Trotter? I know he's a speedy skilled center, but is he a scorer? a playmaker? Does he have aspects of his game that will overcome his lack of size? Does he have a shot at the NHL? Is he good defensivly?

So many questions, because i haven't heard about him since he was aquired by Timmins last season. And did we learn what were the personnal problems that got him out of the university?
Trotter isn't really speedy, I'd say he needs to get quicker and a lot stronger. He seems to be more of a playmaker but not by much as he can score, has some nice dekes and a good shot. He needs to improve his defensive play as well, he's not physical and can be pushed off the puck easy.

If he continues to improve I could see him getting some games in the NHL at some point, he clearly has some interesting offensive skills but it's the holes in other parts of his game that need a good bit of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
O'Byrne's two hits on Tlusty were huge. Hard to get a read on how good he is. Playing with DanJan helps him allot.
I think Deharnais and Lehoux are the best two forwards we have right now. It seems to me that Lehoux doesn't get the same ice time as some of the others and I believe he is our leading scorer. Anyone notice this. I will try to pay more attention at tonight's game.
I think that given the limited play Conboy would be better off in Cinci. We would be better off dressing Anderson at forward, he can take a regular shift.
As far as SK's concerned we'll have to see how he settles in over the next few games (assuming he's here that long). IMO he had one speed last night, coast. It was like playing a man short in our end until he worked his way back.
O'B is good and that has nothing to do with DanJan who appears to be more of a career AHLer. They do make a good top pairing for the Dogs though. This hopefully will be his last stop in Hamilton, since he should be with the Habs full time next year.

Desharnais and Lehoux are the top scorers on the team, both have been producing all season. I got to admit, after watching the few games Desharnais played with Hamilton last year, I didn't think he would be as successful as he's been this year. Unlike Lehoux, Desharnais works hard every night and goes into the heavy traffic while being solid in his own end. Nice move by the Habs to give him a chance, it's paying dividends for the Dogs, really liked the duo of Desharnais and Olivier Latendresse, those two work well together, should be fun watching them in Hamilton next year.

As for Lehoux's ice time, Lever rewards the hard working players, he seems to prefer guys that work hard and are good in their own end.

Conboy is getting a look and seems to be doing ok, I guess we'lll see if they opt to send him to Cincy when they get some more bodies. I would guess that St-Denis will get sent down and then likely Wyman so he can go back to playing defense. It wouldn't hurt Conboy to go to Cincy since he would get a lot of ice time and the Cyclones last time I checked were in 1st place so he could get some good playoff experience. But I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks with the Dogs and gets a bigger role next year.

Last edited by montreal: 02-22-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old
02-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the 1st - scoreless game between Dogs and Pens

Russell continues his consistency from yesterday, his aim is still off in front of open sides of the net. He took a cross crease pass in close and missed again after some nice passing work by his linemates.

Trotter continues to play well. A rebound from his shot fell in front of the net and Shelast was unable to convert it. Later on he was the lone man on a forecheck, chased the Pens D down, stole the puck off them and tried setting up a teammate coming off the bench but the pass didn't work. Trotter sure worked though to get the puck back, good job by him.

On the Dogs PP (it's looking weak again tonight), Sergei had a nice cross ice pass to Janc who put a shot on net. Sergei chased down the middle to get the rebond but couldn't score. More the kind of thing that is expected of him although he still doesn't look overly involved yet.

O'Byrne continues to play well. Another nice pinch, got back in position quickly, handling the puck considerably better than last year, world of difference in that last area. Long may it continue.

Denis doing a good job but not having to make some of the key saves he made last night to keep the Dogs in this one.

End of the 2nd - Game tied at 1

Dogs got put behind early, a shot from the left circle forcing a huge rebound up the middle by Denis. The backchecking Dogs forward over skated it, leaving it for a Pens forward to put a wrister just inside the near side post.

At the other end, Sergei led a Dogs rush, tried on too many moves, lost the puck, chance gone. Waste of a chance but on the plus side, he was actually rushing.

As good as O'B has been lately, his passes could still use a little work. A number of long passes bouncing off sticks, just out of reach. When he puts a bit less power on them, they can work nicely as Trotter found out, but too many times its just an automatic turnover of possession.

Wyman continues to be a threat on the PK with his skating. Second shot on net while shorthanded tonight, good to see. At the other end, the Pens rang one off the outside of the far post from the slot.

Then the Kinasewich, Kostitsyn and Desharnais line (which really needs a short name if they are kept together ) had a great spell of pressure in the offensive zone, cycling the puck very well. The momentum of that seemed to spill over onto the next shifts which saw the Dogs tie the score. A point shot from Kemp rebounded to Shelast who kicked the puck across the crease to Russell. RR still had a lot to do though: the puck was on his stick, the goalie was way out of position leaving an empty net and Russell must have been a good 5 or 6 feet away from the net. Hard work and perseverance prevailed though (either that or he fluked it) and he managed to find the back of the net this time. Well done to him, it's good to see him scoring again. Russell from Shelast and Kemp.

Desharnais had a good rush on a delayed call but just got stopped as it looked like he might split the D. On the following PP, the Dogs gave up a shorthanded breakaway, Denis coming up big again as the forward tried a little move while skating across the top of the crease.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 02-21-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old
02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Trotter is on a great streak... could very well be the next center called up

Old
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Here's a little story about tonight's ref Jeff Smith. If not for an incredible twist of fate, Jeff wouldn't be here tonight... he wouldn't be anywhere.

http://www.thespec.com/article/513682

Old
02-21-2009, 08:04 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
Trotter is on a great streak... could very well be the next center called up
I think Maxwell would still get the call if a centre is needed. He has NHL experience, he is better equipped to handle the physical side of the NHL than Trotter and the Habs probably have bigger plans for him.

But Trotter is playing very well lately, no doubt.

Old
02-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Globalz

does Trotter even have a shot to make it to the nhl one day?
he seems quite small according to Hockeydb.

Old
02-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Wow, Brock Trotter's voice sounds like he's a 15 year old.

Old
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the game - Dogs win 4-1

the period started with a bang, at least for Denis and JP Cote. Cote on a 2 on 1 rush (believe it or not) and lost his footing, crashing into the Dogs netminder. Didn't phase Marc though, continued to play well.

Russell then got his 2nd goal of the game, much easier one this time, the net wasn't wide open He chased a dump out by Wyman down the ice, beat both Dmen to it, settled it and fired a quick shot 5 hole. That play was pretty much him at his best. Russell from Wyman.

Kinasewich and Conboy then had a 2 on 1, Kinasewich being patient, seeing what opened up. Little did, so he fired the puck on net but it was saved. Then Trotter showed him how to get it done.

The Dogs had a 3 on 1 from their own blueline with Trotter carrying. He let the Dman drop to the ice around the top of the circles, pulled it back and went around him. And then he continued and continued some more, holding the puck back, looking ready to shoot at any moment as he moved across the front of the net. Eventually, he started running out of room and as he moved the puck to shoot, it started to bobble. But he controlled it again and fired from a bad angle, putting it in off the goalies stick. Trotter scored unassisted. Potential highlight of the month there.

Denis made a huge pad save at one point before Sergei had one of his best shifts of the night. He stepped up the physical play and effort significantly in the offensive zone.

Trotter then set Desharnais up in the slot but his shot went wide and came back off the end boards. DD was unable to do much with it though as the puck bounced over his stick. That was followed by Sergei carrying into the zone on a 2 on 1. You don't need me to tell you what he chose to do.

The Dogs had a PP and were moving the puck very well, big contrast compared to the start of the game. Then Lehoux had a breakaway but his shot was saved. The game was capped off by an empty net goal from Shelast. Shelast from Desharnais.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalz View Post
He has an outside shot at it. He has skills but definately has some weaknesses. Check the previous page as montreal covered this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Wow, Brock Trotter's voice sounds like he's a 15 year old.
He's pretty much got the physique to match

Old
02-21-2009, 11:06 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Anyone go to the games in here or just follow by radio/webcast?

Old
02-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Any and all first hand accounts are welcome. There's some posting from guys who are at games, but most posters don't even follow by webcast directly. Qui Gon Dave and Theif50 do incredibly coverage, and some other posters too, Zurg999 (if I've got that right) goes to games and is very astute, but the short answer is:

Yeah some post are from people who went to the game, but not many.

Old
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
limelight

If you want to read accounts from people to go to the games, try reading the message board from the hamilton bulldogs website:
http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/foru...9ed36639847abe

Old
02-22-2009, 10:12 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post

I have seasons seats and get to about 30 games, the others I catch on the radio as long as there isn't a conflict with a Habs game.

By the time we get home (45 minute drive) I usually don't have the energy to turn on the computer and there's not much that can be added in addition to what Dave posts. He's a fantastic guy to put all that work into the recaps for everyone. I get a lot out of his perspective, especially lately since the video on the Copps scoreboard has been down for what seems like forever.

I'll chime in if someone had a question that I think I can help with, otherwise, it's QGDs show.

BTW if anyone saw that clip of SKost being interviewed after practice this week in Hamilton, the stern guy keeping an eye on him and interrupting with 'no comment' throughout the interview was Derek Wills (they picked him up on camera briefly). He's the play-by-play guy and also Director of Broadcasting/Communications.

Last edited by zurg999: 02-22-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old
02-22-2009, 11:32 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalz View Post
I criticized him yesterday and he had a good game last night. I still don't think he is NHL material. Just not aggressive enough. Deharnais who is about the same size plays much bigger.

Old
02-22-2009, 12:55 PM
JLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
BTW if anyone saw that clip of SKost being interviewed after practice this week in Hamilton, the stern guy keeping an eye on him and interrupting with 'no comment' throughout the interview was Derek Wills (they picked him up on camera briefly). He's the play-by-play guy and also Director of Broadcasting/Communications.

Where can one find this clip?

Old
02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
It was up on tsn.ca. Not sure if it's still available.

Old
02-22-2009, 01:28 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip142135#clip142135

Old
02-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

can someone tell me how S. Kostitsyn has looked so far?

Old
02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Mue

Conboy's first point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rater R Superstar
Check out QGD's (up a few posts) recaps of the last two games - he touches on Sergei's play.

Old
02-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Qui Gon Dave

End of the 2nd - Game tied at 1

I missed the first period and the start of the 2nd, but I saw most of the last 20 minutes played. Seems like a bit of a scrappy game, fairly tight checking, lots of changes of possession. Nobody really running away in terms of the most clear cut chances.

I joined the game just as O'Byrne hooked down a guy on a breakaway, giving up a penalty shot. Filatov skated in on the PS and moved to his backhand to try and slide the puck under Denis. Don't know if Denis got a piece of it but the puck hit the post and came back out.

Denis then faced a short breakaway and made two big saves on the same guy, one as he came down the middle of the ice, one as he collected the rebound wide of the net and shot. Good job by the goalie.

At the other end, Anderson almost managed to skate through everyone for a scoring chance but lost the puck as he tried going around the Crunch D. Not long after while on a delayed call, Shelast demonstrated a nice change of pace as he drove to the net but he wasn't able to get a shot away. On the following PP, it was nice to see Sergei using his shot. He took a wrister early, trying to catch the Crunch netminder away from his near post but that was easily saved. Later on he put a nice one timer on target, but it didn't lead to anything.

The Dogs then took a penalty and payed the price with 2.6 seconds left in the period. A pass from the point down to the far corner was one timed on goal and I think went cleanly into the net. From the distance and angle the shooter was at, it would be an impressive shot to hit the net from their on a one timer.

hopefully the Dogs vets can step up and lead the way in the third. This is the kind of game where Gainey really needs to lead by example, where Shelast/Kinasewich/Conboy/etc need to match every challenge physically and if not create room, then give some confidence to the smaller guys and Maxwell to do what they do. Maxwell has taken a beating along the boards in the 2nd, hopefully he is ready for a tough 3rd period because it looks as though the only open space anyone will get is if someone makes a mistake or really outskates everybody else.

End of the game - Dogs lose 3-1

Well, that third period looked tough on the Dogs. They played it like it was their third game in 3 nights. And to be fair, it was. They didn't roll over and die, they went down fighting but just didn't have the energy to bring their game to the next level and make the required impact. Of course, the Crunch got a bit lucky at times, but they did enough to outplay the Dogs in the final period.

It didn't start too well with Trotter being hooked off his feet and crashing into the Crunch net. He drew a call but seemed to be taking it easy on his left leg when he got up. He continued playing, but we'll have to wait and see if there is any lasting damage there. On the following PP, the Dogs evened things up by taking a bad penalty to allow some 4 on 4 play. The call, holding on Weber as a Crunch forward drove to the net wasn't bad in itself, but Weber's play in the build up was. The Dogs lost the puck in the offensive zone. One forward on the puck came to the near boards to play the puck while the other raced down the middle. Weber came back part way with the open player while the other D drifted over towards the puck carrier and he he approached the blueline, the Dogs D stepped up on him. At this point, Weber is at the Dogs blueline just on the far side of centre as the open man cuts towards the near boards. Weber just lets him skate. As the puck carrier gets closed down, he makes a pass behind the other Dogs D for the open forward to skate onto the puck with a clear lane to the net. Weber then chases him and holds him as he goes to the net. Maybe that was tiredness kicking in, maybe it was just a straight up mistake. Either way, wasn't a good play by the kid, the Dogs have been caught out by similar shorthanded rushes a few times like that recently, they need to skate hard until there is no danger, not assume there will be no danger and then skate hard when danger presents itself.

The Dogs continued to look like their concentration was shot on the 4 on 4 spell as they left a guy wide open on the far side of their zone. Of course, the puck went to him and he got a shot away, but someone out there blew their coverage.

The Dogs then turned it up a bit with some nice little individual plays that showed guys were still trying and were still doing what they could to focus. O'B made a nice breakout pass up the middle. He put some force behind it and still hit the target of a teammates blade. More of that please Ryan. Then in the Dogs end, Weber stepped up the physical play, slamming someone into the boards pretty well. Lehoux then took a pass over the top of everyone and was in alone but his shot was saved. Then Gainey almost managed to skate in alone but had his stick slashed out of his hands to draw a call.

Weber did what he does, firing the puck hard on net. He hurt one of the Crunch players out there on one shot but he wasn't able to change up. Credit to him then for staying out there and trying to block another Weber shot about 20 seconds later. Sergei then showed a little of that spark that made people regard him as a fierce competitor last year. He really bust a gut to get back to the point, win a battle and keep the puck in the offensive zone. It didn't lead to much, just a faceoff in the offensive zone, but the effort was there on this shift.

Then the Dogs got kicked while they were down on energy. The Crunch broke into the Dogs zone and tried making a pass across the crease to the left winger at the back post. Denis moved across ready to save it. But the puck hit one of the Dogs D and bounced towards the near post where it was an open net tap in for the centre. The Dogs got no lucky break minutes later when a broken play in the Dogs zone saw the puck break loose to another open guy on the far side who had no trouble firing the puck home to give the Crunch a 2 goal lead.

From there, not much the Dogs could do. There was still time for Denis to make another big save and the Dogs got one last late chance but Desharnais tried passing to Sergei when he should have just fired the puck on net IMO.

Tough game for the Dogs and they will be disappointed with the loss. But to them for putting in the effort until the end. They now get to rest until Friday, where if they show the same effort there, they will be in with a good chance of taking something from the game.

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 02-22-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old
02-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
no points in 3 games,will we see him back with the Habs this season?

http://www.rds.ca/bulldogs/chroniques/269781.html

Old
02-22-2009, 08:19 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

If he wants to come back, he'll have to earn it... so far, it doesn't look good...

Espacially, sice Tanguay should come back in a near future (or so I hope).

Old
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post

I'd suspect he won't be back. Not so much because the Habs can't use him, but because he will have to prove more than what he can do just on the ice. I'd guess Gainey will purposely keep him away from the big club after the fiasco and all the bad press that followed.

Old
02-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
What the heck has happened to the roster? (don't feel like reading back in this thread, sorry)

How have Wyman, Conboy, Shelast and Kinasewich become regulars in recent days/weeks? Sure Chippy and Stew are up, but O'B and SK were sent down so it evens out. I can't figure this one out.

I know Glumac is injured and Carle has been injured at times too...is there anyone else out with injury right now?

Old
02-22-2009, 10:31 PM
DogsFan*
GHG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
He didn't work hard tonight, that's for sure.

edit: Marc, the injuries are as follows:
Mike Glumac (Hand Injury)
Mathieu Carle (Shoulder)
Shawn Belle (Knee)
Thomas Beauregard (ACL Injury)
Ryan Flinn (back spasms)
Olivier Latendresse (shoulder)
Mathieu Aubin (flu/mono)
Ryan Kinasewich (unknown, happened tonight)

Last edited by DogsFan*: 02-22-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Closed Thread