HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamilton, Cincinnati Thread 08-09, Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
kovacro
"Jazz Hands" by Alec

vCash: 500
Clear day List...No D'Agostini, but Chips, SK47 and MaxPac are on it

http://www.theahl.com/headlines/inde...rticle_id=9658

Old
03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Mue

No O'byrne either.

Old
03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacro View Post
Clear day List...No D'Agostini, but Chips, SK47 and MaxPac are on it
and Stewart.

Current Hamilton roster players left off the 22 player list, and therefore not eligible to play in the playoffs unless there are injuries or callups:

Mark Van Guilder
Steve Gainey
Andrew Conboy
Ryan Kinasewich
Ryan Flinn
Tyler Shelast
Chad Anderson
Olivier Latendresse (out for season)
Thomas Beauregard (out for season)

Must have been tough to leave Gainey off that list to make room for a returning player from Montreal. He's been a solid addition.

Last edited by zurg999: 03-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old
03-12-2009, 11:09 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
and Stewart.

Current Hamilton roster players left off the 22 player list, and therefore not eligible to play in the playoffs unless there are injuries or callups:

Mark Van Guilder
Steve Gainey
Andrew Conboy
Ryan Kinasewich
Ryan Flinn
Tyler Shelast
Chad Anderson
Olivier Latendresse (out for season)
Thomas Beauregard (out for season)

Must have been tough to leave Gainey off that list to make room for a returning player from Montreal. He's been a solid addition.
I would have left off Wyman, maybe even Aubin, for Gainey. I think Steve brings more to the table. Tough call.

Old
03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
AllCanadienFan

The lsits includes Belle and Carle who are both injured at this point. Any word on their status?

Old
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
The lsits includes Belle and Carle who are both injured at this point. Any word on their status?
Last I heard Belle was out for a little while more, perhaps the end of the month? Carle has a concussion so I would guess that he'll be out a couple weeks more.

Old
03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
I would have left off Wyman, maybe even Aubin, for Gainey. I think Steve brings more to the table. Tough call.
While I agree leaving Gainey off is a bit of a shock, I think Wyman is there for his versatility. He seems to be establishing himself as a capable defenseman who can play wing in a pinch.

Old
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
While I agree leaving Gainey off is a bit of a shock, I think Wyman is there for his versatility. He seems to be establishing himself as a capable defenseman who can play wing in a pinch.
I think Gainey is off the list due to the veteran rule. Wyman, Lever seemed to like when he was in Hamilton, he's been playing wing though since being recalled from Cincy. I prefer his play on defense so hopefully next year he can stick to defense all year if not in Hamilton, then in Cincy.

Old
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
I can't argue the versatility he brings but I still look at him more as a winger who can fill in at defense in a pinch.

Old
03-13-2009, 11:02 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

http://www.thespec.com/article/528658

Quote:
The Dogs could have some of their injured players back in the lineup very soon, depending of course on who is on the Clear Day roster. Tyler Shelast (back spasms) and Mathieu Aubin (mono) are both cleared to play and practise with the team yesterday. Mathieu Carle (concussion) is having another test done today but could be given the green light to play again.

Habs Prospects website
Old
03-14-2009, 12:19 AM
Next Best Thing*

No report on tonight's game?

'nother 4-3 loss for the baby habs

Old
03-14-2009, 12:42 AM
penopekoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post

2. HAM Weber, (13) (Kostitsyn, Maxwell), 16:10
3. HAM Glumac, (24) (Kemp, Kostitsyn), 19:03 (PP)
3. HAM Trotter, (13) (Glumac, Chipchura), 19:26

2 points for Kostitsyn no less. Didn't see the game, but wondering how Weber, Kosty, and Maxwell looked. Haven't heard a lot from Maxwell lately...

Old
03-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo View Post

2 points for Kostitsyn no less. Didn't see the game, but wondering how Weber, Kosty, and Maxwell looked. Haven't heard a lot from Maxwell lately...
Oh yes, I wasn't too worried about Kost jr. he seems to have hit the stride and Weber is an AHL all-star no? I'm just wondering on the details, how the new coach is running ship etc... the Marlies are a pretty strong AHL club this year (like always it seems but for different reasons now) so I just wanna know how we compare minus the final score.

Old
03-14-2009, 08:53 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post

Winning goal scored with 8 seconds left. Downer! New look on the PP with Weber and Sergei on the points and on their off side. It didn't seem to work the first few times, I don't think any shots, but they got it together. They seemed to have better lanes to the net playing this way and moved the puck well. Still only 1 for 6.
Looked like Weber got hurt in the third, took a puck off the upper body (arm??) and didn't return. Also, don't recall seeing Conboy much, anyone know if he was hurt or benched? Didn't think Denis played that well. Seemed slow to react. I don't think he could have stopper the winning goal but I'd love to see the replay to see where he was in the net. I believe their right winger came in from the left of our goal inside the face off circle by the hash marks. Closest guy to him was the fan in the first row. Major defensive breakdown, we had a dman out front covering a guy and the other four were on the far side.
A good team will regroup and come out flying, hopefully we'll see that tonight.

Old
03-14-2009, 11:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Winning goal scored with 8 seconds left. Downer! New look on the PP with Weber and Sergei on the points and on their off side. It didn't seem to work the first few times, I don't think any shots, but they got it together. They seemed to have better lanes to the net playing this way and moved the puck well. Still only 1 for 6.
Looked like Weber got hurt in the third, took a puck off the upper body (arm??) and didn't return. Also, don't recall seeing Conboy much, anyone know if he was hurt or benched? Didn't think Denis played that well. Seemed slow to react. I don't think he could have stopper the winning goal but I'd love to see the replay to see where he was in the net. I believe their right winger came in from the left of our goal inside the face off circle by the hash marks. Closest guy to him was the fan in the first row. Major defensive breakdown, we had a dman out front covering a guy and the other four were on the far side.
A good team will regroup and come out flying, hopefully we'll see that tonight.
I know Conboy looked hurt on the one play in the corner when he got hit with a stick up high, he went off the ice quickly and I don't recall if he came back or not.

What a tough way to lose, great freaking comeback against the top defensive team in the league only to blow in with 8 seconds left, I still can't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penopekoo View Post

Weber had a few chances after some nice feeds from Kostitsyn but had trouble with them. Finally got one to break his 14 game goal less streak. Scored on a bomb though. Kostitsyn looked good again, rang one off the post after making a nice deke on the PP. Maxwell wasn't as noticeable but I liked what I saw from the White Maxwell Kostitsyn line.

Old
03-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Dogs started with some good pressure and a number of good chances but either couldn't take them or weren't allowed to take them as the Moose took a penalty to deny a good chance. Sergei had a sweet play making head fakes to open up room for a shot but then tried an improbable pass. I think someone had a word to him on the bench after that.

Then the Moose took the lead. A pass across the front of the net from the far side to the near side, received by a guy going from the near side to the far side and Denis followed the pass, leaving the far post open as the guy skated across the front. Easy tap in and somewhat against the flow of the game.

The Dogs got it back thanks to Sergei. The kid had a shooting lane, wound up and ripped another slapshot into the back of the net through a screen. No nonsense, put the puck on net and it worked. He's playing decent tonight, but some of his decision with the puck could be improved. Eitherways, thumbs up for him so far. He got involved in a scuffle before as well, not sure if we'll have seen the last of that in this game.

1-1 after the 1st.

Edit - Some kid just scored a **** hot goal in the kids game during the intermission. #9 in yellow just did half a lap of the rink with the puck, beat a few kids to the outside, cut inside, to the front of the net, slide the puck under the goalie. #9, I salute you, awesome goal

Dogs lead 3-1 at the end of the 2nd.

Dogs got an goal from Glumac. Collected a loose puck in the far faceoff circle and put a snap shot on net, beat the goalie to give the Dogs the lead.

At the other end, Denis made a big save on a chance a bit like the goal the Moose got.

Sergei continues mixing it up, which is good, but it's the 2nd time he has walked away tonight leaving his teammates to finish what he starts. Now he is a skill guy, so we don't want him fighting. But he doesn't have to get quite so into the faces of other guys if he isn't going to back it up. On the plus side, he is playing real well. Anyways, on this occasion, Chip stepped up to fight the guy Sergei backed away from. Close fight, Chip maybe came out slightly the worse.

Denis then made a save down low with pressure in front of him and took a stick to the mask, but no call. A few minutes later, he got absolutely cleaned out by someone driving the net who went right through him. Fights broke out and the Dogs looked to defend their slightly dazed goalie.

Between those incidents, the Dogs extended the lead. Sergei had the puck inside the right point and held onto it, waiting to make a move. He eventually passed to Weber on the left wing half boards and he fired a one timer on goal. It hit the goalie, bounced into the air, came back down, hit the goalie again and went in.

Chipchura got into another fight at the end of the period, didn't see how it started. Didn't seem to last long. Only other thing that really stands out from the game so far is the dents that Ryan White's shoulders have left in several of the Moose players. He's playing the body well tonight, keep it up Ryan

Dogs end the game with a 5-1 victory

Firstly, the Weber goal was changed to Glumac.

Wyman scored on a shorthanded wraparound that managed to creep across the line.

Then on an odd man rush, Sergei made a pass to the back door for Russell to tip home. I think I can say fairly accurately that Sergei Kostitsyn just played his best game ever as a Bulldog. Great job by the kid, really stepped it up tonight. Made a killer defensive play as well. Saw the Dman was skating away from trouble while there was a guy open in the slot, left his man, took the guy in the slot and lifted his stick as he wound up for a shot. Would have been a good chance otherwise. And to think, people were sending the kid down the river after 4 ******* games back in the AHL after all he went through.

Great job by the Dogs tonight. They fell behind in the 1st but fought back hard and got a well deserved win

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 03-14-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old
03-15-2009, 08:21 AM
AllCanadienFan

Great effort to regroup after the last second loss the night before and come out flying. I think at one point they had out shot them 8 to 2. Defense played well with good support from the forwards in our end. Because of that very few turn overs. Wyman's goal was a real grinders effort. I enjoyed watching that one as much as the beauty Sergei set-up for Russell. With consistent goaltending these guys can give anyone a tough game. Important road trip coming up.. Go Dogs!

Old
03-15-2009, 08:53 AM
zurg999

Way to go Chip, White and Conboy(!) in setting the tone for the game.

Old
03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Dogs lead after one in Rochester

Dogs got an early PP and they continued to work hard at redefining the term 'power play'. Trust me, it's not an obvious definition of the term. In fact, by the Dogs definition, the term 'power play' is entirely misleading.

Lehoux made a great pass to spring Aubin but he couldn't score.

Desjardins is making some nice saves on chances in close, some good reflex saves but may need to be more careful with his rebounds at times. There are occasions where the team in front of him is protecting him well though, a good sign.

The Amerks hit the post twice. The first time, the puck bounced out into the crease and the Amerks somehow put it between CD and the outside of the far post.

The Dogs scored after a great effort by the Trotter, Glumac and Desharnais line. After much puck control in the offensive zone, Desharnais tried feeding a pass from behind the net to Glumac above the crease. The puck bounced over his stick, right to Trotter near the top of the circles. Trotter wired a one timer 5 hole to give the Dogs a one goal lead they still hold. Trotter from Desharnais and Glumac.

Carle and Flinn are playing, good to see them back. Sergei is a little quiet so far but he has his moments.

2nd period just starting...

Dogs exit the 2nd still with a one goal lead - now 2-1

I often give Carle stick when he makes one of those passes Brisebois would get a severe case of deja vu from, so here's a bit of praise for him making up for Jancevski's #71 impression. Janc gave the puck away behind the Dogs net with a weak pass after looking unsure quite what to do with it. Carle bailed him out though, winning the puck back while under pressure and helping clear the danger. Well in Mathieu.

Sergei got high sticked. His face was totally re-arranged by it, he looks ugly now.

Now Erika has passed out, Sergei was fine, wasn't cut, don't think he missed a shift.

On the PP the Dogs got for it, Glumac missed a wide open net, only just catching the puck with the heel of his blade from a few feet out and putting it wide of 6 feet by 4 feet of net. The puck goes the other way, Desjardins tries to make a pass up the middle out of his own zone under no pressure - one which would surely confuse even divine entities, seriously, what/who the **** were you aiming for Ced? - it gets picked off at the red line and fired on the empty net long before CD can return to his crease. Awful play, awful goal, awful pass. If Ced planned to shock the Amerks into falling over in submission by giving them the puck, it didn't work. Short of that, it was just awful. He learned his lesson though, every time the puck went near him after that, it was a simple control/settle the puck behind the Dogs net type play.

The Dogs had a 3 on 1 but couldn't score. Seems they were in shock at Ced's pass too. Henry was so out of his senses, he was the one who took the shot after rushing up ice on the 3 on 1. Thankfully, calmer heads would get the job done.

Trotter would drift into the offensive zone on the left wing and draw a couple of Amerks towards him as Glumac cut to the middle. A nifty little saucer pass from Trotter put Glumac in the clear right in front of the Amerks net. And as is the way with these things, he wasn't fazed by having to beat the goalie (as opposed to hit an empty net from 8 feet out) as he roofed the puck to give the Dogs the lead again. Glumac from Trotter and Kemp.

The Dogs then survived a number of Amerks chances while killing penalties. The Dogs even got some short handed odd man rushes. First, Chipchura failed to get a pass through to Russell on the far side. Then, Wyman ignored White and drilled a shot on net.

CD made up for his mistake a little with a nice save combo. He stopped the first shot with his head then got across to make a pad save at the near post to allow the Dogs to take the lead into the intermission.

3rd coming up...

Last edited by Qui Gon Dave: 03-15-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old
03-15-2009, 07:27 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

3 shorthanded ??

Old
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
dd

Bulldogs win in shootout despite giving up 3 shorthanded goals!!
Heard the game online on the 820 Cham radio from Hamilton. Derek W. is a real homer but very interesting and emotional. If you have not already done so, go to the 820 radio website and hear all Dog games. Pretty entertaining!

Old
03-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Dogs win in sudden death round of the shootout

3rd period:

Dogs had a PP, Kemp mishandled the puck at the Amerks blueline and Larman rushed down the left wing. Kemp almost looked like he angled him off to the side, until Larman ripped a great backhander high short side before Ced could get his arm up to block it. Goal scorers finish on that one, beauty backhander, another bad goal to give up.

Chipchura then had a good rush up ice which sadly led to nothing. A shift or so later, Trotter made a heck of a play to make something out of nothing. He took a bad pass on the left wing, controlled it, cut to the middle avoiding several Amerks and got a good shot away. Nice skill and drive by the kid. Later on, Desharnais showed some great hustle, got the puck to Trotter who made another nice feed to Glumac who shot from in close but was stopped.

Sergei then drew another call and the dreaded PP headed onto the ice. And just like Glumac scoring on the goalie after missing an open net, the Dogs PP scored a sweet goal after giving up 2 shorthanded efforts. Kost wheeled behind the net and found Maxwell in front at the near post. Any Amerk that wasn't already closing in on Sergei then focused on Maxwell, but he made a quick pass to the back door as Plante committed. Glumac then had one of those awkward opens nets to hit, from about 4 feet out this time, but he kept him composure, raised his game and found his aim. Dogs got the lead back and it was funny how effortless the goal looked, the simple passing, the good positioning, the mad scramble of the Amerks players, if only all Dogs PPs were like that. Glumac with his 28th this year from Maxwell and Kostitsyn on the PP.

Of course, all good things must come to an end and the Dogs PP was back to its old ways, another fumble in the neutral zone leading to a rush that saw Brine make some nice moves to undress Weber and then slide the puck 5 hole under CD. Cue Derek a few minutes later, describing the Dogs PP as "worse than God awful". As a wise man once said: "It's funny 'cause it's true".

OT:

There were a few chances in OT but the Dogs best came from the killer duo of Desharnais and Trotter who tried to work some of their magic.

Shootout:

Lehoux opened the scoring with a wrister low glove side or 5 hole. Repik was stopped thanks to a huge save from Desjardins. Trotter used every fake known to man before ringing a high backhand off the post. CD then made a huge glove save on Myer before Plante came up with an even more impressive toe save on Sergei, who tried an AKost style move. Duco scored with a wrister low blocker side and Desharnais was denied to send it to sudden death.

Repik went 5hole but was stopped. Lehoux skated in a put a wrister high glove side to win the game.

This week in Bulldogs training sessions, defending their own PP. Every drill, every minute, every session. PLEASE. With a little luck and a lot of hard work, it might only be pathetic next week

Well done to the Dogs on finding a way to win a game they seemed determined to lose. And well done to Glumac who just keeps scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
3 shorthanded ??

I did say they are in the process of re-defining the term 'power play'.

Old
03-16-2009, 07:40 AM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djee#9 View Post
3 shorthanded ??

Best described as an ugly win. To go to a shoot out with a team 30 points less than you is not a good sign. There were players with some good efforts.

Good: The work of Trotter, Chipper, Deharnais was tireless. I thought that Carle and Henry played well together. Best of the six. Cedric stopping 5 of 6 in the shootout. Lehoux in the shootout 2 for 2.

Bad: Sergei coasting. I know he has more skill than most and maybe it's his style but when he decides not to go after pucks or tries to skate through the whole team he's hurting us. After last night I can see why he was sent down. PP what more can be said. Point shots not going through, in fact blocked, and cleared. Weber and Sergei passing the puck back and forth is not going to do the trick. Someone needs to explain to all the Dmen on the PP, especially Weber and Kemp, that the whole ice surface is in play. QGD, they may be working on it but in the last three games they are a net 1 for 14. Maybe get to the basics, get low shots through, have a screen and crash the net with the forwards. If a dman is going in deep a forward needs to cover. They keep coming back with the same people regardless of the effort. In the O/T I don't think Carle and Henry saw the ice yet during regulation I thought were the best of the six.

Ugly: Cedric you bailed yourself out but in the future keep the puck handling simple.

Also, in looking at the game sheet I question the AHL stats. It's hard to imagine there were that many shots in regulation time and on one of their shorthanded goals they have Henry on the ice. When's the last time you saw him on the PP.

A great effort on Saturday sandwiched between two that are so so, QGD you seem to know this team, is there a problem here or am I wrong to be concerned.

Old
03-16-2009, 08:15 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Good: The work of Trotter, Chipper, Deharnais was tireless. I thought that Carle and Henry played well together. Best of the six. Cedric stopping 5 of 6 in the shootout. Lehoux in the shootout 2 for 2.
I'd add Glumac to that group. The hustle, creativity and energy the Trotter/Desharnais combo has when they are on their game is great, but having someone who will go to the net and who can score out there with them is a great decision IMO. Looks to be paying off. And Carle did have a very solid game, good to see him coming back with a strong performance.

Quote:
A great effort on Saturday sandwiched between two that are so so, QGD you seem to know this team, is there a problem here or am I wrong to be concerned.
I think there are some grounds for concern, play could be more consistent, goalies could learn from what they have been told time and time again and there are various other kinks to be worked on. But it's a young team with a new (in a sense) coach. Towards the end of the season, it's no suprise if some of the kids or people coming back from injury are slowing down, especially in the final game of a 3 in 3.

As for that PP, well, I've only been watching the Dogs since 05-06 and listening to them a little longer than that and it's rarely be a model of consistency. Last night was pretty much a case of most things going wrong on the PP. But it might be good for them to have a night like that before the playoffs, re-focus the mind a little to the fine details. As for the passing around the point, I agree, the team have more options. Lehoux was a key part of the PP early in the season, getting the puck low in the left corner and making passes, would like to see more of that. And I'd like to see Trotter tried as a go to guy down low. Give him his choice of linemates and let him go for it. Sergei is the most technically skilled on the team IMO, but nobody has the creativity/flair of Trotter when he is on. I'd like to see if we can maximise that asset on the PP.

But regardless of their shortcomings, they keep pulling together and keep winning despite a major battle with injuries/callups, dealing with a young lineup containing several players not used to this much hockey and despite that damn PP It's also encouraging to see a kid like Desjardins play like he did after that first goal, it shows the determination which is present in the whole team. Now that determination sometimes goes wandering from some players for some games, but I think everyone has displayed it at some time or other. If they all get in sync, they could be very good. For now, they are doing a decent job as a team of helping each other out, when the goalie screws up, he gets his head back in it, the team goes and scores more, and if there are more mistakes, there is someone in the team looking to correct them.

I think you are fine to be concerned as there are clearly areas that can be improved, but I wouldn't worry too much about them as they seem to have a knack of getting the job done. It won't always be pretty, but more often than not, they look like they will get the job done somehow.

Old
03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Glumac has been on fire since returning from injury, I really hope they find a way to bring him back next year.

As for Desjardins, I heard Derrick say in between periods that Cedrick was told to stay in his net but he wasn't listening on that play.

Lehoux with 2 nice goals to win the SO, I thought Kostitsyn was going to get one with the move he had but couldn't get it over the goalies leg.

Closed Thread