HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clarke says that he wants to add a depth defenseman

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 07:01 PM
FlyersFan

vCash: 500
Clarke says that he wants to add a depth defenseman

I caught an interview on The Score this afternoon with Bob Clarke. Patricia Boal's first question for him pertained to deadline deals. Clarke said that with the loss of Jim Vandermeer he is looking to add a depth defenseman, a 6th-7th d-man.

I guess we'll see...

Old
02-27-2004, 07:20 PM
MojoJojo

How about Eric Weinrich?

Seriously, Clarke has been trading like a wild man this year. Trade a defenseman(Woywitka) and picks, get a center (Comrie). Trade a wing (Williams), get a defenseman(Markov). Get a defenseman (Timmander) for a pick. trade a center (Comrie), get a wing(Branko) and a goalie(Burke). give away a defenseman(Weinrich). Trade a defenseman(Vandermeer) for a center(Zhamnov).

Now he wants another defenseman?

Old
02-27-2004, 07:33 PM
MudShark

Supposedly he's interested in Odelein from Florida.

At first when I heard that, I thought "why bother?", but reading the Panthers boards here, the Panther fans seem pretty happy with the way Odelein has played this year.

He certainly has an "edge" to his game. Might not be a bad pickup, if the price is right.

Old
02-27-2004, 07:54 PM
FlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudShark
Supposedly he's interested in Odelein from Florida.
Yeah, I heard that too. At the time I didn't think much of it, but given what he said in that interview it makes sense. I think an Odelein-type player could be had for a 6th-rounder or so.

Old
02-27-2004, 08:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Odelein is the first name I thought of. He's not all that good though, he'll probably be our 7th defenseman

Old
02-27-2004, 09:42 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Odelein is the first name I thought of. He's not all that good though, he'll probably be our 7th defenseman
Lyle Odelin was who I suggested on the other Flyers' trade thread--if not him, maybe Luke Richardson from CB or Greg DeVries from the Rags, but bigger contracts come with those players.

I'd like to have Odelin, I've noticed our defense isn't anywhere near as gritty as last season--I'm not confident on Seidenberg/Therien/Timander (pick 2) making up our third pair, though Seidenberg and Timander are good with the puck they lack physical play.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:45 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
How about Eric Weinrich?
hello! was thinking the same thing.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:51 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersGuy69
hello! was thinking the same thing.
We got a 5th for Eric Weinrich

If we give up more than a 5th if we trade for Odelin--yikes

Old
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
mrs9x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
Lyle Odelin was who I suggested on the other Flyers' trade thread--if not him, maybe Luke Richardson from CB or Greg DeVries from the Rags, but bigger contracts come with those players.

I'd like to have Odelin, I've noticed our defense isn't anywhere near as gritty as last season--I'm not confident on Seidenberg/Therien/Timander (pick 2) making up our third pair, though Seidenberg and Timander are good with the puck they lack physical play.
I predicted after the Zhamnov trade that getting a 6th/7th Dman would be the only move the Flyers make before the deadline. We lack depth at D, and with the injury bug on the team, we need to stock up on some cheap veteran D help for a playoff run.

Odelein would be a good pickup...he's not great, but I don't think he would cost too much. I'm not interested in Leetch, I know there has been some speculation about him, but he would cost way too much.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:47 PM
Green Mile

Maybe Clarke sees that we cannot risk having Therien in there on a nightly basis. We just can't.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:45 PM
FlyersGuy69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McGillis 03
We got a 5th for Eric Weinrich

If we give up more than a 5th if we trade for Odelin--yikes
I read in the paper that Weinrich was totally blindsided by the trade and was upset about being traded but hey, we still have Therien.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:07 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
Weinrich was playing like crap, he single handedly cost the blues a game the other night.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:46 AM
Bennevol10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76
Weinrich was playing like crap, he single handedly cost the blues a game the other night.
I think Clarke want Crease clearing defense and who will be free agent this coming summer... Weinrich trade was nothing but salary dumb that's all it was... He had $1 Million left in his contract... Plus Flyers picked up part Burke and Zamnov(did I spell his name right) contract... I like Capital's Defense player Witts... Flyers has enough offensive Defense player Joni, Johnnson, Desjerdan and Markov(two way)... I think Flyers really going for this year... But I don't know about whole the team chemistry thing... Plus Flyers was plugged with enjuries... Clarke had no choice but to trade for Defense players, goalie and center...

Old
02-28-2004, 03:07 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
Zamnov(did I spell his name right)
Zhamnov.

I also think Clarke wants a crease clearer.

Old
02-28-2004, 11:09 AM
fatnickmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplush76

Actually Baron had a lot to do with that loss also. Weinrich has played very well for the Blues. Thank you very much.

Old
02-28-2004, 01:45 PM
biggbloo

For what it's worth,Holmgren has been scouting Leetch

So there may be a substantial addition at defence. Leetch still has a ton of juice,and he'd like another run at the Cup!

Old
02-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Weinrich suxx....please Clarkie, get Brendan Witt...our goalies not only need it, they deserve it after this season.

Old
02-28-2004, 05:54 PM
MojoJojo

Seriously, how about Luke Richardson? Another that comes to mind is Zhitnik.

Old
02-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Seriously, how about Luke Richardson? Another that comes to mind is Zhitnik.
The only thing Zhitnik is good at clearing these days is the dinner table. He's a good defenseman, but not a physical, crease clearing presence.

Old
02-28-2004, 07:02 PM
PF

I'd love to see Leetch here, perhaps he's not quite what the doctor order (crease clearing D, see post above) but there's no denying he'd add to an already talented core. I think the thing we need most is a real #1 defenseman, Desjardins is good but not a leaguewide #1 IMO, the entire package rolled into one guy, skilled and tough, but then who doesn't need that.

We have the forwards to go places, the goalies come under alot of scrutiny here with our ever continuing "problem" in net but they're solid at the least, our D lacks the top guys that teams like NJ (Stevens, Neidermayer), Colorado (Blake, Foote), Detroit (Lidstrom, Hatcher) and Ottawa (Chara, Redden) have. Pitkanen's gonna be our next top tier d talent but we do lack it right now, it's the most significant difference I see between our team and the other real contenders.

Old
02-28-2004, 07:32 PM
MudShark

Leetch would add more speed to the blueline, something that would be really useful if the Flyers have to play Ottawa in the playoffs.

Still, despite the Lindros thing, I just don't see the Flyers and Rangers trading. Ever.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Winston Wolf

The only player I want to see the Flyers acquire is Ruslan Salei. If anybody (such as Havlat or certain Leafs players) tried to take liberties with our players, Salei would do the exact same right back. We don't have anybody who's really willing to play dirty right now.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:09 PM
FlyersGuy69

I myself would love to see Clarke get Witt. he's that big, nasty, crease clearing defensemen that the Flyers need. especially in the playoffs.

also, I wouldn't mind seeing Leetch here because I don't think that you can ever have to much speed but I don't think that it will happen.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:12 PM
Heimy

Dudley has said Odelein WILL be moved if (yeah I know I know, WHEN) the Panthers are eliminated so it's not surprising that his name is getting tossed around. I can honestly admit I wasn't thrilled when Dudley signed him last summer but man was I wrong. He's been rock solid. Not fancy but steady and sure. He's also brought tons of character along with his experience to our young corp. He'd be a good 3rd pairing guy to add to your D...and if injuries set in he can handle the added minutes.

And just in case you aren't aware, be very afraid of the Cats next season.

There BETTER be a next season! :mad:

Old
02-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
LMAO, Clarke, the guy is such a liar.

At the absolute minimum Clarke will acquire Odelein. Odelein is noth a "depth defensmen," and he certainly wouldn't be our 7th D. Odelein is easily better than Timander and Therien. He's also a guy with a bit of an edge to his game. He'd easily be a regular for our blueline down the stretch in the playoffs.

Personally though, I think Clarke is posturing. I think he has one more big move up his sleeve, and a depth one as well. I expect the big one to be a defensmen. Leetch is possibly, though not probable. I think Witt, Smith, Carney, or Salei will be a Flyer soon. I also expect Clarke to add either a center like Gratton or Sillinger, and don't be shocked to see someone like Barnaby or Drake brought into the fold.

Clarke is going to make AT LEAST one more move, and more likely two. Mark it down.

Closed Thread