HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Get rid of Dawes.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:46 PM
gilles lupien

vCash: 500
Get rid of Dawes.

I caught the 2nd period and half the first. Went out to dinner and see we got spanked. Regardless, I've seen enough of Dawes in this season now. Last season he was brand new and running on super-strength adrenalin. Nowadays, he's completely ineffectual..ie useless. He gets outplayed, out muscled ever time. Now he's got no confidence, no balls and certainly no goals.

Time to get rid of him. C'mon Slats...Send him somewhere. You gave him his shot here. We need stronger, bigger, goal-scorers. I've had it with him.

gilles lupien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:49 PM
BDA

im very close to agreeing with you here

BDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Unk

So the solution to a young player (in only 14 games of his second season, mind you) who isn't effective right now is to trade him when his value is low? Maybe he (and some other ineffectual players) should be benched for a game or two, but trading now is way too early. Knee jerk reactions like this are going to hurt the team in the long run pretty badly.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:53 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

I knew the board would explode after tonights loss. But I thought it would be with bad threads.

I've grown to hate Dawes over the course of this season. Gomez is being wasted on that line with Dawes and Callahan. I love Callahan don't get me wrong, but Gomez does not play to his needs. Callahan needs a center to play dump and chase with, and as we all saw from Gomez so gracefully in the third period, he's not one to play that game.

Back to Dawes. So yeah, what the hell? He's fallen off in terms of development drastically over the off-season apparently. I'd much rather see Prucha in his spot without a doubt.

But again, the entire team needs a reality check (aside from Henrik), and I find it hard to blame just Dawes especially after the showing of the defense tonight.

Plus, don't even get me started on Fritsche.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
This topic sucks (just sayin').

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

No thank you.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
I was never impressed with Dawes... ever.

I mean, I thought that he was alright.. but I'd honestly rather see Prucha in there. For all the BS Prucha gets on this board, Dawes has been just as, if not more, useless.

I went into this season hating SJO but all things considered he's actually impressed me more then Nigel has, and that's saying something.

and BTW, all the talk about Dawes aside, you're completely kidding yourself if you think this lose is on any one player more then Vally. That guy was hardly tested all game, and when he was, he completely blew it.

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:18 PM
free0717

I like Dawes, great hands, but he is in a funk. Can we send him to the Pack for a couple of weeks to see if he could break out without risking him to waivers?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:24 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoren Fan View Post
I was never impressed with Dawes... ever.

I mean, I thought that he was alright.. but I'd honestly rather see Prucha in there. For all the BS Prucha gets on this board, Dawes has been just as, if not more, useless.

I went into this season hating SJO but all things considered he's actually impressed me more then Nigel has, and that's saying something.

and BTW, all the talk about Dawes aside, you're completely kidding yourself if you think this lose is on any one player more then Vally. That guy was hardly tested all game, and when he was, he completely blew it.
oh absolutely, especially after seeing some of those re plays Vally looked like garbage tonight. I could've stopped that second goal.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 11:56 PM
FLYLine24*

Pass.

I guess people forgot how many players go through sophomore slumps since we've been so blessed to have really none of our players have one in awhile.

He's easily one of the best fishers on the team, he'll get his goals..dont worry.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:03 AM
BDA

sophmore slump is onething ..but not playing both ways is another...there are too many games over the past two seasons where he has been a no show

BDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:18 AM
slim399

the fact of the matter is eventually we are going to have to let one of prucha or dawes go... unfortuantly it will be for probably nothing. It really hurts seeing these guys that we had such high hopes for coming through the system go ala montoya and jessimen.

I think sather really doesnt want these two just to slide away because of how skilled they are. In the naslund thread i just compared him to straka... both of these players were in similar situations in their careers and were put on waivers, i think sather is very scared to let them go and see them excell into all stars like straka and naslund become.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:25 AM
NYR Viper

SJOSTROM NEEDS TO PLAY ON A MORE OFFENSIVE LINE!!

i know people are down on dawes, but he has the offensive talent.....as does prucha, so please people, dont jump all over me....IMO there is room for both in the lineup but sjostrom has been the best of the three and he is still on the 4th line....why?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:27 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
I'm not ready to give up on him just yet but he has been poor so far and i thought today he looked a step behind everyone else

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:31 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
SJOSTROM NEEDS TO PLAY ON A MORE OFFENSIVE LINE!!
Thank you! How much does it take to prove you deserve an opportunity?? Or does being under 6'0 and 190 lbs, automatically make you a better prospect?

With all the line juggling we've done, you'd expect him to get more minutes. 2 highlight reel shootout goals, nope, not enough.

Callahan has shown to be the best of our small, speedy forwards. He works hard and has the best positioning instincts and overall ability. Dawes gets some chances, but is never in position to score. Fine, take Dawes out, put Prucha in; same player, different name.

I think Prucha is the weakest link. It's heartbreaking to see a 30-goal scorer fade so quickly, but the desperate hangers-on have to accept reality. He's lost it, and it's not coming back.

It's too soon to trade Dawes, but we should be concerned. I say give him a bit longer and then send him down and call up Korpikoski.

As for Fritsche, he's done nothing good... nor bad. So play him as a bottom six winger and just keep him skating. He's no less than Dawes or Prucha at this point.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:44 AM
mike14

I think the simple fact is the Rangers can't afford to trade Dawes. They are about to hit serious cap trouble with raises to Dubi and Zherdev in the not-to-distant future and so will need players like Dawes to round out the lineup cheaply

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 03:23 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

This happened last season. Just send his ass down to Hartford for a "conditioning stint" and he'll remember really quickly how he should be playing.

n8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 04:05 AM
RANGERS2448

sophmore slump maybe??

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 05:57 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Try stunted growth. Dawes was the best player in camp last season. He did everything that was asked of him and he earned a spot. He got cut anyway and has never been the same. I've said this for a year and I keep getting told it was good for him, he's a better player ect. The bottom line is he looked like a top 6 F and now he looks lost and useless. Confidence is a critical difference between a guy who scores in a the A and a guy who scores in the NHL. Korp has looked better than Rissmiller, Dawes and most of the bottom 6 F's. He didn't deserve to get sent down. I think he should be playing with Gomez. I am very fearful Renney just ruined another young players confidence.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:50 AM
NY Ranger86

ya send him to hartford. thats smart

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:01 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Try stunted growth. Dawes was the best player in camp last season. He did everything that was asked of him and he earned a spot. He got cut anyway and has never been the same. I've said this for a year and I keep getting told it was good for him, he's a better player ect. The bottom line is he looked like a top 6 F and now he looks lost and useless. Confidence is a critical difference between a guy who scores in a the A and a guy who scores in the NHL. Korp has looked better than Rissmiller, Dawes and most of the bottom 6 F's. He didn't deserve to get sent down. I think he should be playing with Gomez. I am very fearful Renney just ruined another young players confidence.
Sounds awfully familiar. Prucha says hi

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Geddy Lee

I don't care for Dawes very much. Prucha has shown a lot more this season.

Geddy Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:21 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I knew the board would explode after tonights loss. But I thought it would be with bad threads.

I've grown to hate Dawes over the course of this season. Gomez is being wasted on that line with Dawes and Callahan. I love Callahan don't get me wrong, but Gomez does not play to his needs. Callahan needs a center to play dump and chase with, and as we all saw from Gomez so gracefully in the third period, he's not one to play that game.

Back to Dawes. So yeah, what the hell? He's fallen off in terms of development drastically over the off-season apparently. I'd much rather see Prucha in his spot without a doubt.

But again, the entire team needs a reality check (aside from Henrik), and I find it hard to blame just Dawes especially after the showing of the defense tonight.

Plus, don't even get me started on Fritsche.
that line is the 2nd best if not the best line we have

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:35 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Pass.

I guess people forgot how many players go through sophomore slumps since we've been so blessed to have really none of our players have one in awhile.

He's easily one of the best fishers on the team, he'll get his goals..dont worry.
Voice of reason.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by devito1192 View Post
that line is the 2nd best if not the best line we have
Not really. That line sucks. But we need to keep them together for now.

Honestly, Voros' was a one hit wonder. Nobody's saying anything about his game because he had a fantastic start, but he's bringing Dubinsky down.

Zherdev worked with Dru and Nas. Took him off that line and then Dru and Nas played like crap. Give Dubinsky - Petr Prucha.

Naslund-Drury-Zherdev
Dawes-Gomez-Callahan
Sjostrom-Dubinsky-Prucha
Voros-Betts-Orr

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote