HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Callahan

Old
11-24-2008, 09:50 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Callahan

I know many people would agree with me that over the next two years there is a core group of players that sather should concentrate on resigning long-term.....I have heard names like dubinsky, zherdev, girardi, staal.....I really think callahan should be the one player who sather should really concentrate on signing callahan long-term...and by long term i mean for 4 years or more.....i know many will say that might be a bit extreme but the nice thing with cally is that his effort is always there and we are seeing how well he meshes with drury and gomez and how he can be moved all around the lineup and be effective....he plays center and wing and always has energy......also, considering his injury last season, and how he will be more apt to take a lower amount of money per season i would think he could be that anchor on any line he is on with the rangers wanting to bring up a lot of young talent in the next few seasons, ala kris draper

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:55 PM
hlundqvist30*

He's not your prototypical scorer but the guy actually puts the puck in the net. The guy is on pace for over 20 goals this year, while he provides a good energy game and great defense. He's a super 3rd liner in the same way Kris Draper has been one. I remember a thread in the prospects section maybe a year ago where fans of other teams were praising him saying that they can't believe the number of goals the guy puts in, and how they thought eventually he could be a 25 goal guy. That might be a bit of a stretch, but I think this guy can consistently provide 15-22 goals per season consistently while bringing the other aspects of his game that he does so well. He'll be signed.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
He's not your prototypical scorer but the guy actually puts the puck in the net. The guy is on pace for over 20 goals this year, while he provides a good energy game and great defense. He's a super 3rd liner in the same way Kris Draper has been one. I remember a thread in the prospects section maybe a year ago where fans of other teams were praising him saying that they can't believe the number of goals the guy puts in, and how they thought eventually he could be a 25 goal guy. That might be a bit of a stretch, but I think this guy can consistently provide 15-22 goals per season consistently while bringing the other aspects of his game that he does so well. He'll be signed.
i agree with that one....its just i hope, considering our cap problems, that sather can see how easy it would be to get that type of player on a longer contract to keep him at a lower pay for a longer period of time.....

Old
11-24-2008, 09:59 PM
NYRSchrute217

Zherdev, Dubinsky and Staal are MUCH bigger priorities than Callahan.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Ive loved him the day the day I watched one Junior game of him.

He plays his ASS off EVERY shift. He's got the perfect work ethic and he's the type of player I respect the most in the NHL (no surprise since its well known the players I least respect are the floaters). Team is down 5-0?....Doesnt matter to Cally, hes not crying about it, hes going out there and playing his game.

Hes the perfect 3rd liner, been saying that for years, plays excellent defense, and he will put up points. He is not just defensive, the kid has hockey skills and is getting better still in the league.

He's going to be putting up 20G on average in his prime years with about the same amount of assists(Maybe more, depending on his linemates). Again, perfect 3rd liner, he's a player I can't wait for Sather to lock up long term.

He's also a player that i have NO doubt will be wearing at the very least an A by the time he is in his late 20's...maybe the C (could be up for grabs though with Dubinsky, assuming Dru and Gomer are gone by this time).

Anyway thats just me. Cally has been a top 3 fav player on our team for a long time. I just love watching him starting to get rewarded with his hard work and heart he shows every damn shift.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:01 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Zherdev, Dubinsky and Staal are MUCH bigger priorities than Callahan.
Ok? What does that have to do with anything?

They are, its obvious, but after them comes Callahan.

Cally will get around 1.8-2.8 million a year, a price he will well deserve. (im leaning toward about 2.2 a season, for about 4 years, that would be a contract i'd give him, but i'd be willing to go up to 2.8)

Old
11-24-2008, 10:03 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Ok? What does that have to do with anything?

They are, its obvious, but after them comes Callahan.

Cally will get around 1.8-2.8 million a year, a price he will well deserve.
"I really think callahan should be the one player"

Old
11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Haha, alright ya got me.

For some reason I didnt see that part.

My bad, yea, we do have to focus on those others guys first, I agree.

Old
11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
rangers4ever2007

would be great if rangers can get a top 6 and put him back in his normal role

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:19 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
ahhh....my apologies, i meant after those players.....obviously....zherdev, dubi, staal, girardi and callahan.......i meant the one player who they should sign other than those 4

Old
11-24-2008, 10:39 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Haha, alright ya got me.

For some reason I didnt see that part.

My bad, yea, we do have to focus on those others guys first, I agree.
lol...it's all good. Wasn't trying to start anything...I like it here and don't want to be banned.

Old
11-24-2008, 10:42 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
lol...it's all good. Wasn't trying to start anything...I like it here and don't want to be banned.
Haha man.you have nothing to worry about. I love starting debates.... if you disagree with me your not going to be banned dont worry

Old
11-24-2008, 10:42 PM
storm fan

he is improving as the year goes on. I don't think you have seen the best that cally can be. I think he is still evolving as a player and should improve with the added ice time

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

The thing I like with Cally is that he has pretty decent skills to go with his workmanlike attitude. He's not just out there smashing people along the boards and not creating anything offensively... he's got a hard shot and great speed.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:43 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im glad there is a thread for this guy because to be perfectly honest there are only a select few that have been very consistent players for this team year.

He's one of them.

You know what your going to get with this guy every night, a solid effort. Checking, relentlessness, good PK, good speed, etc.

I just hope he can keep it up for over 90 games...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
ThirdEye

I love Callahan. He's not exactly an offense threat, but he's always giving opposing players fits in their own zone by harassing them. He caused several turnovers today

Not sure exactly who to compare him to. Richard Park maybe?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
ahhh....my apologies, i meant after those players.....obviously....zherdev, dubi, staal, girardi and callahan.......i meant the one player who they should sign other than those 4
I don't see the need to rush with Callahan. He's RFA at the end of the season--with no arbitration rights. And while he's a nice player to have, I doubt any other team rushes to sign him to an offer sheet. He'll be re-signed, probably to a one year deal. Hopefully, he'll use the next year or so to cement his value with the team and then it will be time to think about signing him to a longer term deal.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:00 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i think the next 2 free agent years will either make or break us..we have alot of players we could lose and lots of salary locked up between 9 or so players

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I don't see the need to rush with Callahan. He's RFA at the end of the season--with no arbitration rights. And while he's a nice player to have, I doubt any other team rushes to sign him to an offer sheet. He'll be re-signed, probably to a one year deal. Hopefully, he'll use the next year or so to cement his value with the team and then it will be time to think about signing him to a longer term deal.
like i said, its not that i think another team will throw an offer sheet at him, its that wouldnt it make sense to sign a player for less for a longer period of time when you can?.....thats what the wings do with their young players.....just an idea but it may be a good one of he keeps improving

Old
11-25-2008, 01:13 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I love Callahan. He's not exactly an offense threat, but he's always giving opposing players fits in their own zone by harassing them. He caused several turnovers today

Not sure exactly who to compare him to. Richard Park maybe?
That comparison is a mockery of Ryan Callahan. I like the Kris Draper one better. Just a gut that your ideal third liner and does EVERYTHING you could possibly want from you; great defensive play and good PK shifts, hard forecheck, and some offensive input despite no real natural talent.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
like i said, its not that i think another team will throw an offer sheet at him, its that wouldnt it make sense to sign a player for less for a longer period of time when you can?.....thats what the wings do with their young players.....just an idea but it may be a good one of he keeps improving
I'm not suggesting he shouldn't be re-signed, I just don't see the need to sign him to a long term contract yet. Why not use the CBA to the team's advantage? We don't have to throw a lot of money at Callahan right now. He's in line for a 10% raise after this season (how many people can say that in this economic environment?), no need to pay him anymore than that, right now. If he continues to show progress, then we can have this discussion, when it's necessary. In a couple of years.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:47 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Ive loved him the day the day I watched one Junior game of him.

He plays his ASS off EVERY shift. He's got the perfect work ethic and he's the type of player I respect the most in the NHL (no surprise since its well known the players I least respect are the floaters). Team is down 5-0?....Doesnt matter to Cally, hes not crying about it, hes going out there and playing his game.

Hes the perfect 3rd liner, been saying that for years, plays excellent defense, and he will put up points. He is not just defensive, the kid has hockey skills and is getting better still in the league.

He's going to be putting up 20G on average in his prime years with about the same amount of assists(Maybe more, depending on his linemates). Again, perfect 3rd liner, he's a player I can't wait for Sather to lock up long term.

He's also a player that i have NO doubt will be wearing at the very least an A by the time he is in his late 20's...maybe the C (could be up for grabs though with Dubinsky, assuming Dru and Gomer are gone by this time).

Anyway thats just me. Cally has been a top 3 fav player on our team for a long time. I just love watching him starting to get rewarded with his hard work and heart he shows every damn shift.
You took the words right out of my mouth. I love the way he plays, and I hope he is a career Ranger. The only thing to remember is, on a great team, Ryan Callahan is a third liner, PKer and fill-in PP guy. He's not a first line player.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:00 AM
Vaheh

Send a message via MSN to Vaheh
Quote:
I know many people would agree with me that over the next two years there is a core group of players that sather should concentrate on resigning long-term.....I have heard names like dubinsky, zherdev, girardi, staal.....I really think callahan should be the one player who sather should really concentrate on signing callahan long-term...and by long term i mean for 4 years or more.....i know many will say that might be a bit extreme but the nice thing with cally is that his effort is always there and we are seeing how well he meshes with drury and gomez and how he can be moved all around the lineup and be effective....he plays center and wing and always has energy......also, considering his injury last season, and how he will be more apt to take a lower amount of money per season i would think he could be that anchor on any line he is on with the rangers wanting to bring up a lot of young talent in the next few seasons, ala kris draper
Reminds me more of Darren McCarty then Draper:hits,fights,chips in offensively.

Vaheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:30 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
would be great if rangers can get a top 6 and put him back in his normal role
I agree. Time to give Prucha more than a 2-game stint to prove himself. He puts in the effort every time he plays, but hasn't found the net. I have a feeling that if he starts scoring, it will be in bunches. One thing I don't like about Dawes is that he tends to float. He has decent skill and gets into scoring position but misses empty nets.

Drury - Gomez - Prucha
Naslund - Dubi - Zherdev
Voros - Korp - Callahan
Sjostrom - Betts - Fritsche/Orr(when needed)

One of Dawes/Prucha need to be traded. I would hate Prucha's NY career to end like this. He was a star in his rookie season on broadway.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote