HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Time to Send a Message Renney

Old
11-02-2008, 06:07 AM
darrenturcotte#8

vCash: 500
and the only message that needs to be sent is a pink slip to Pern. If this PP was half way decent we'd be undefeated. If you want to blame someone for Tor, blame Scott Gomez. That turnover which lead to Tor 1st goal was the stupidest thing I've seen since the last bad Scott Gomez turnover, or the one before that. I've never seen a player make such bad decisions with a puck. Up by 2, in the 3rd vs a team that knows it isn't good. Put the puck in the corner, not a blind saucer pass back to your point!

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Benchings, scratches and desperation trades. I wouldn't say any is an appropriate answer to 8 minutes of disastrous play.

I'm hoping the loss WAS the wake up call. Might be more effective to get smashed in the face by an opponent than to lose by the skin of your teeth in a decision that could have gone either way. Just gotta put these guys in the video room for HOURS today to review what happened and why. From there, you just hope it's a lesson that improves the team in the long run.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:19 AM
eco's bones

IMO this team has been overachieving big time and I've been extremely happy with what they've done so far. 10-3-1 in 14 games is not too shabby considering they have no elite caliber forwards. Could Drury be playing better? the pwp? Sure--but Drury was a slow starter last year--came on strong at the end and looking at the kind of player he is he is not a big time point producer anyway. Neither is Gomez for that matter who's stats are about what they normally are. If anyone has the real talent to be an elite forward it's Zherdev who is still feeling his way a bit. Looking at the Pwp--we do not have a big cannon from a blueliner--and we're about as predicitable as we were last year partly because of that. Maybe we don't look so dominant in some of our games so far but the team looks resilient, has played with discipline, all the d-men transition the puck well. This years Rangers have found ways to win practically all the close contests. We're not going to win them all are we?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:21 AM
SML

This team has some problems. Mainly, we're cap bound. It doesn't matter if the Thrashers gift wrapped Kovalchuk for Sather, we can't fit him under the cap. Any attempts to land this game breaker we all want only compound this issue. The Rangers had a good stretch where they were scoring because they were putting the puck ON THE NET. Goalies in the game today are really good. You aren't going to beat them clean 4 or 5 times a night. You need traffic in front, distractions, and lucky bounces. Look at the goals we give up. Lundqvist hardly ever gets beat when he can see the shot and play the shooter. It almost always hits a defenseman, goes off a skate, gets deflected to an open guy, etc. We need to do the same thing. Our PP still stinks because everyone wants to be Al MacInnis. Forget about that. Just get the puck toward the net. That's why I like Girardi. He just gets the puck there. It's not fancy, but it works. Any player can score garbage goals if you keep it simple. There should be a MAXIMUM of three passes before there's a shot towards the net. All this tic tac between the two point men to see who can make the best saucer pass while the PP ticks away is ridiculous. Two guys in front, find an open man and take a frikking shot already.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
The loss had more to do with a backup goaltenders confidence getting shattered in a matter of minutes then the team playing like crap.. they didn't help the situation by not skating and clearing pucks, but some of those pucks should have been stopped... the momentum was just too much for Vally to handle. I love the guy, but last night showed why he is a backup goaltender.

I agree with those here who say Prucha needs to be in and Fritsche needs to be wearing a suit in the stands. Not impressed with anything he has done. I think I can stand to give Dawes a few more tires.. you know the skill is there.. with Fritsche, I just don't see it. Why Prucha isn't on the first line with Drury and Naslund is beyond me.

Benching your Captain at this point does no good. Reminding the players that something like that can never happen again by working them to near death does, IMO.

How you give up 5 goals in almost 6 minutes is mind boggling. Extra Sprints at practice tomorrow for sure.....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:04 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Yes they were up 2-0 going into the third. But the way they were skating compared to Toronto, the scored should have gone the other way.

This team has to get out of the notion that playing for 20 minutes can and will win hockey games. They were lucky until now to get the W while playing this style. Last night should be a wake up call.

Honestly, how does Atlanta make the game so tough for us, while Philly beat them 7-0 and the Devils won 6-1. Something is wrong there I would say. Our record says one thing, but the effort says another.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Benchings, scratches and desperation trades. I wouldn't say any is an appropriate answer to 8 minutes of disastrous play.
So there is someone who knows hockey here. Thank you.

Bench the captain, get rid of dawes, we need a trade. wtf?

sounds like last year, FIRE RENNY, TRADE JAGR...let the professionals coach...and you watch from your couch

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:34 AM
pld459666

It seemesd like Voros production dropped off the moment they took Zherdev off that line.

If the line is working, let it work and allow trhe other line guys to sort themselves out.

Taking Nikky off that line did nothing for this team, yes that one game spike in production for Nassy and Dru, but the one consistent producing line has stopped producing.

If there's a line that is scoring, leave it the hell alone and let it score. It seemed that Renney found 2 solid lines when he put Gomer with Dawes and Cally all he needed to do is let Naslund and Drury figure it out while the team is winning without their production in stead of screwing over the rest of the team by trying to force something.

Chemistry is not forced, it's either there or it's not and there's Chemistry with Voros - Dubinsky - Zherder and on the Dawes - Gomez - Callahan lines.

If Naslund is as good as we think he is, same with Drury, they will get their collective poop together and the team will be better off for it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Loffen
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
sounds like last year, FIRE RENNY, TRADE JAGR...let the professionals coach...and you watch from your couch
^^ right on.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:07 AM
chosen

I was curious if there would be people here acting like they were on the Titanic and I was not disappointed. Some of you would find fault with not dominating every minute of every game.

The Rangers have been the better team as far as pressure in the overwhelming majority of games this season and yet some of you act like they were getting their doors blown off every night.

I bet there isn't one person here who before the year thought they would have this good a record at this point. Some people only see the negative even when the glass is 90% full.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:17 AM
chip chipperson*

everybody needs to calm down. we didn't lose a playoff game and vally was in net. losses like last night are important because the team learns from it and they get better because of it. this is just what the team needed imo. and benching people really isn't the answer in this case.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Sorry but the only reason this team is on top of the standings is because

1) Played more games than anyone
2) The majority of their games have been played against teams below .500 or around .500
3) Lundqvist

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Fletch

Chosen...

I somewhat agree with you. I feel that record-wise, you can't ask for much more than where the Rangers currently are, especially given the turnover from last season. Where I may differ is this team actually does not seem to be getting better. Early in the season they benefitted from being slightly more prepared than TB, and guys stepping up who many didn't expect to step up. Then they faced some teams that seemed to be a bit behind because of the games already played by the Rangers (a great example was Philly - in the first, they didn't look ready but then dominated the second and third). Then they had Voros, a guy with 7 NHL goals, go out of his mind. Which brings us to today. Voros has come down to earth. As has Dubi. Gomez is playing his high risk game again. The defense is getting beat too often and the captain still hasn't shown up. The Rangers have room to adjust. They have room for guys to get going. But there are things that need to be improved upon before other teams start improving and that needs to be a focus. Lundqvist, who has been absolutely spectacular this season in facing more shots per night, and more quality shots per night than he's been used to in the past, may go into a slump, and if he does, so will the Rangers if other areas aren't fixed. Perhaps there isn't a need to press the panic button, but at the same time, it's not time to sit back and admire where they are in the standings either.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:05 AM
chip chipperson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash the Net View Post
Sorry but the only reason this team is on top of the standings is because

1) Played more games than anyone
2) The majority of their games have been played against teams below .500 or around .500
3) Lundqvist
true but we could have lost all those games. games played has nothing to do with it. just my opinion

Last edited by chip chipperson*: 11-02-2008 at 10:11 AM.
chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:08 AM
chosen

Fletch....

There isn't a single team that doesn't have some problems and that doesn't need to make some adjustments to their game in order to move forward. This is a constant in hockey and will never go away. To take a 5 game snapshot and say Voros has to do this or Drury has to do that is unfair.

The very best players on all teams can be negatively assessed over a 5 game period. Crosby can have a bad 5 game window. So can anyone.

If a team can win when not playing as well as you might like they are doing a great job. If they start losing on a regular basis, it's fine to start tinkering but you don't tinker with a team's success because any one individual player isn't meeting your expectations.

If they start to lose, the naysayers will say "I told you so". If they continue to win, most of them will disappear. Then there are those that will complain about the state of the team even if they toss off a 10 game win streak.

One more thing: Name all of the teams you have seen this year that you definitely think look better than the Rangers so far.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:23 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

I'm hoping the loss WAS the wake up call. Might be more effective to get smashed in the face by an opponent than to lose by the skin of your teeth in a decision that could have gone either way. Just gotta put these guys in the video room for HOURS today to review what happened and why. From there, you just hope it's a lesson that improves the team in the long run.

I'm not pointing to last nights third period. It hurts but like you say its a half of period of hockey.

Regardless of the 8 minutes on Saturday and regardless of the 10-3 record, the team imo has too many "just ok" forwards. I know a trade is not easy, but in the land of cyber message boards I really think parlaying a package of forwards/prospects/picks for a true upgrade to the forward lines would be a good move at this point.

I'm not thrilled with Dawes. Not just that hes not scoring. He looks slow and he looks out of synch with the play. I have no idea whats up with him. Im sure they are coaching him about it but its frustrating to watch.

As for Perry P., yea he's the PP coach but thats not his only job and hes not the sole to blame. Im sure he sees the same things we do and coaches the playes, but they are not executing the plan. Too many passes, not enough quick pass + shoot + traffic in front = put home the garbage. Its not rocket science, its pretty much what EVERY team does on the PP. The Ranger players just dont do it well.
The passing is just a little too slow to open the lanes and than they dont shoot or the shot gets blocked

Maybe they need a D'Antoni 10 sec shot clock in practice

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:49 AM
frankthefrowner

This is one of those situations where nothing needs to be done. The wake up call was the ridiculous 8 minutes of hockey they played. They dont need to be told they sucked it was pretty evident. There will be some line changes made, but that's to be expected with our coach.

I almost feel bad for the isles, they are going to see a pissed of rangers team, i fully expect the rangers to come out and beat the hell out of the isles on tuesday.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:50 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Not saying it's the same thing but I seem to remember that the Rangers' play improved after that 6-5 debacle against the Habs last season.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:52 AM
DutchShamrock

It seems like this loss has been a long time coming with some of the late collapses where we just escape or last second goals to tie. Maybe it's too much to ask to dominate start to finish but the signs have been there for a while that something like this has been coming.

The way I see it though is if the signs are there that your team doesn't play a complete game, your team makes mistakes, your team struggles to score... well maybe the team isn't really underachieving in a lose against Toronto, they are actually overachieving with a 10-3 record. This loss would be more shocking if we've won by 3 every game, if we finish opponents at the opportune times, if we didn't rely on goalies to win every single game (and over the last 2 weeks, how many times have reporters mentioned that we are winning solely on Lundqvist's will to win?).

Honestly guys, this seems more like an overreaction to a loss and an underreaction to the poor play we've seen most of the season (masked by the good record). Alot of you have shot down the nay sayers, telling them 'who cares, we're winning'. This still isn't a Stanley Cup team, it's still 3 seasons away.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:53 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Not saying it's the same thing but I seem to remember that the Rangers' play improved after that 6-5 debacle against the Habs last season.
yea they started to play theyre best hockey after that.

This loss was almost a good thing, it showed them, that despite they're record they will still have to work and they have NOT won anything yet.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
I almost feel bad for the isles, they are going to see a pissed off rangers team, i fully expect the rangers to come out and beat the hell out of the isles on tuesday.
So do I

RIP Fishsticks...

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
If you think this teams play has been one of a team who is the best in the NHL, it is you that needs the wake up call.
wins are wins.........the end.........so yea they have been one of the best teams...........the screwed up for 7 min of a game and they will get a beating and wake up call for it

just bounce back..........plus Valli was in net.............exuse maybe but its not our best

I think they need to get these lines set already.........I still think they should move Drury to the wing but with Korps down they lack a 3rd line Centre

It would make some sense to deal Prucha and Fritsche for a true 3rd line Centre and a good pick

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
With an iron fist

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Ok, where do I start. Point 1 Renney, end the Valiquette experiment with Toronto and Philly enough! I'm sick of that, no need to give Henrik a rest they have 2 days off after last night's game. Point 2 The turning point in the game was our power play in the 3rd, if we score, that game is over at 3-0. Some kind of adjustment must be done with the power play, Gomez Drury and Naslund need to be broken up. Point 3 It's time to get 3rd line wingers off of Gomez. Zherdev is the biggest threat on the wing, try him with Gomez again. Point 4 I do agree they need a wake up call. They slept walked on offense last night, but to give them credit did play well defensively.....the first 2 periods. The prior game they did not generate much on offense either. We struggled to beat Atlanta and yet the Flyers and Devils blew them out.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 11:30 AM
NYRangers09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggarelli View Post
The loss had more to do with a backup goaltenders confidence getting shattered in a matter of minutes then the team playing like crap.. they didn't help the situation by not skating and clearing pucks, but some of those pucks should have been stopped... the momentum was just too much for Vally to handle. I love the guy, but last night showed why he is a backup goaltender.

I agree with those here who say Prucha needs to be in and Fritsche needs to be wearing a suit in the stands. Not impressed with anything he has done. I think I can stand to give Dawes a few more tires.. you know the skill is there.. with Fritsche, I just don't see it. Why Prucha isn't on the first line with Drury and Naslund is beyond me.

Benching your Captain at this point does no good. Reminding the players that something like that can never happen again by working them to near death does, IMO.

How you give up 5 goals in almost 6 minutes is mind boggling. Extra Sprints at practice tomorrow for sure.....
Finally!!! Someone said it... The reason we lost this game, imo, is the fact that Vally let in that horribly weak second goal. That was what really gave them ridiculous momentum. And from their second goal on, Valliquette was so shaken and was making too many mental mistakes.

I never criticize Renney about anything, but Henrik Lundqvist needs to play at least 70+ games this year. He only needs to have sat once or maybe twice so far. To have him sit 3 games out of 14 is ridiculous. He is 25 or so and unless he is showing signs of slowing down there is absolutely no reason to sit him.

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
Chris Drury is the best 3rd line center in the league. He can score up to 60 something points if he gets PP time. Just because Sather is a moron doesnt mean he's going to score like a $7 mill/yr player. If you gave me $7 mill I couldn't score 70 points in the NHL either. Hes a winner, he's a leader and he makes the smart play most of the time. He would step in front of a train to prevent it from scoring and he cares about his team and winning. I will never have a problem with Chris Drury. He's just worth $4-$5 mill/yr tops.
I think the top two lines should be

Naslund, Dubinsky, Zherdev
Dawes, Gomez, Drury
Voros............, Callahan
Sjostrom, Betts, Orr
Rissmiller

Thing is they need either a 3rd line C( I was hoping Korpikoski or even Anisimov soon)

Trading Prucha and Fritsche to a young team with cap space could bring in a pretty descent option for that line at C

thoughts?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote