HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers looking at Leetch

Closed Thread

Old
02-26-2004, 10:06 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Flyers looking at Leetch

Apparently on the Ottawa telecast they mentioned that the Flyers had been scouting Leetch and have some interest.

Not sure what kind of deal would be made.

We don't have a #1 or #2 this year. I wouldn't want to give up Carter or Richards (our two #1's from last year).

I certainly wouldn't mind adding Leetch, but I wouldn't want to give up what I think it would take to aquire him. The Flyers could use a good big physical defenseman more than a puck moving offensive defenseman. I might be more interested in de Vries than Leetch.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
That would be a nice fit. Didn't he entertain thoughts of signing with the Flyers as a free agent?

Old
02-26-2004, 10:16 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
That would be a nice fit. Didn't he entertain thoughts of signing with the Flyers as a free agent?
NO he never really considered leaving NY.

Markov - Desjardins
Leetch - Johnsson
Pitkanen - Ragnarsson

looks much better than

Therien - Markov
Johnsson - Timander
Pitkanen - Ragnarsson

Old
02-26-2004, 10:38 PM
NYR469

this is from the ny times:

Quote:
Leetch, who broke into the N.H.L. with the Rangers after the 1988 Winter Olympics, might not have realized he was auditioning here tonight, but he certainly played like it. With the Philadelphia Flyers' assistant general manager, Paul Holmgren, in attendance with the Philadelphia scout Ron Hextall, Leetch had a goal and two assists.

Dallas's top professional scout, Doug Overton, was also on hand, presumably scouting Leetch, who turns 36 next Wednesday

Old
02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
NYR469

leetch to the flyers won't happen because the flyers would have to severally overpay for the rangers to agree to send him to a division rival...it will be a pr nightmare as it is, there is no way they will send him to philly without a monster return and the flyers won't give up what would be needed to make it happen

Old
02-26-2004, 10:44 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
leetch to the flyers won't happen because the flyers would have to severally overpay for the rangers to agree to send him to a division rival...it will be a pr nightmare as it is, there is no way they will send him to philly without a monster return and the flyers won't give up what would be needed to make it happen
Sather should get the best deal he can get and not worry about where Leetch ends up. If Clarke or Lamarillo offer more than Armstrong or O'Connel then he should take the deal.

In case you haven't noticed Sather doesn't seem to give a damn about good PR.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:55 PM
NYR469

but if you aren't willing to give up any of your top prospects and you don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick then how do you expect to make a better offer than those teams??

the rangers don't need to dump leetch, they'd only consider moving him if they are going to get a solid return...if they are offered crap they will keep him

Old
02-26-2004, 10:57 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
That would suck dealing him to the Philly, but if they would be willing to part with one of their young centers, I would have to seriously consider it.

Old
02-26-2004, 10:58 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
but if you aren't willing to give up any of your top prospects and you don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick then how do you expect to make a better offer than those teams??

the rangers don't need to dump leetch, they'd only consider moving him if they are going to get a solid return...if they are offered crap they will keep him
gotta agree here

Old
02-26-2004, 11:00 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
but if you aren't willing to give up any of your top prospects and you don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick then how do you expect to make a better offer than those teams?

I'm just saying what I would give up.

Unfortunately, I don't get to make the decisions.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:01 PM
Barnaby

I dont know. I wouldn't rule anything out with Clark especially with some of the deals he's made. It wouldnt surprise me if he came out with a big offer, especially considering past deals he's made such as the one for Oates.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:05 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I dont know. I wouldn't rule anything out with Clark especially with some of the deals he's made. It wouldnt surprise me if he came out with a big offer, especially considering past deals he's made such as the one for Oates.
That was one deal, made becuase of injuries the night before the trade dead line.

Clarke has won far more deals than he's lost, and has made a few deal that were far greater than the Oates deal was bad.

Old
02-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
That was one deal, made becuase of injuries the night before the trade dead line.

Clarke has won far more deals than he's lost, and has made a few deal that were far greater than the Oates deal was bad.
I know he has. I just mean that if he wants a player he usually gets him. Leetch is still a top caliber d-man who could really excel on that Philly blue-line.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:32 AM
rickyrod

blah, i really don't want to see him go to a division rival. still 1 year left on his deal, and seeing him in a flyers jersey 6 times during the season would be depressing.

maybe i'm too sentimental with leetch, but i really do miss the days where it wasn't uber rare for a marquee player to play his whole career with one club...

Old
02-27-2004, 02:10 AM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrod
maybe i'm too sentimental with leetch

I'm definitely way too sentimental. I'm not handling the thought of him being traded very well.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I think a team would need to bowl Sather over with an offer in order to get Leetch. I think the offer would have to be even higher if it meant trading him to a division rival who you play 6 times.

Personally, I would demand a lot with Leetch as I don't think it's really neccesary to trade him (and since he is my favorite all time Ranger I don't want to). Leetch can be part of the solution in righting this ship and if he wants to stick around, there a lot worse guys you could have to set an example for the young players coming in.

02-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I think a team would need to bowl Sather over with an offer in order to get Leetch. I think the offer would have to be even higher if it meant trading him to a division rival who you play 6 times.

Personally, I would demand a lot with Leetch as I don't think it's really neccesary to trade him (and since he is my favorite all time Ranger I don't want to). Leetch can be part of the solution in righting this ship and if he wants to stick around, there a lot worse guys you could have to set an example for the young players coming in.
Personally, I hope to God Sather doesn't need to be bowled over. Just a good, solid deal will be fine...Trading Leetch is the best chip the Rangers have of improving the long term future of the organization and should be taken advantage of. I honestly don't think he will accomplish anything by staying in NY, we'll see the same inconsistent Leetch of the past 2 years..Though a classy guy, he's never been a leader, so I really don't think his impact will be all that great on youngsters (even the GREAT Messier has had ZERO impact) and that's hopefully where a top coaching staff should be doing there job.

OTOH, if it is the hated FLYERS, I agree that a little extra should be thrown in...

Old
02-27-2004, 09:33 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Sorry LM,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
Personally, I hope to God Sather doesn't need to be bowled over. Just a good, solid deal will be fine...Trading Leetch is the best chip the Rangers have of improving the long term future of the organization and should be taken advantage of. I honestly don't think he will accomplish anything by staying in NY, we'll see the same inconsistent Leetch of the past 2 years..Though a classy guy, he's never been a leader, so I really don't think his impact will be all that great on youngsters (even the GREAT Messier has had ZERO impact) and that's hopefully where a top coaching staff should be doing there job.

OTOH, if it is the hated FLYERS, I agree that a little extra should be thrown in...
the deal would have to be on scope of Gagne, Carter/Richards and future #1 for me to even tolerate the thought of Leetch in the ugly-ass uniform.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:44 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
the deal would have to be on scope of Gagne, Carter/Richards and future #1 for me to even tolerate the thought of Leetch in the ugly-ass uniform.
A return like that would get top tier young NHL stars. No way anyone pays that for Leetch. I love the guy too, but no way we get that type of return. Maybe 5 years ago, not know though.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
A return like that would get top tier young NHL stars. No way anyone pays that for Leetch. I love the guy too, but no way we get that type of return. Maybe 5 years ago, not know though.
Unless of course you're Bobby Clarke

Old
02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
Unless of course you're Bobby Clarke

Oy Clarke could repeat another of his trades and send the Rangers Radovan Somik, and two #2's ... in return the Flyers will take your #1 pick ....

... the Philadelphia Flyers are pleased to select: Evgeni Malkin

Old
02-27-2004, 11:07 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway

I believe Leetch has indicated that he will only play thru the end of his contract which means he has only one year to go. I don't see how that one year of having Leetch will have much of a positive effect. I do see how having the right assets acquired in a Leetch trade could have a positive effect for a long time after Leetch retires.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:41 AM
Potter

Send a message via AIM to Potter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
jas thats being unrealistic. they are not giving up gagne. i understand the sedimental attachment to leetch. i feel the same way, but i want to see this franchise get out of the dirt.

if philly offers say Somik, Carter/Richards/ and a # 1 for Leetch and a 3rd we have to take it.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:56 AM
phish3579

Quote:
this is from the ny times:

Why would you have to scout Brian Leetch? Am I missing something, a team in your division and a player that has been in the league for years.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:57 AM
phish3579

Quote:

Flyers ALWAYS severly overpay at the deadline...

Closed Thread