HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville @ Calgary

Old
11-06-2008, 01:58 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Nashville @ Calgary

@

@

Overview
This is the second game of a 6-game road swing for the Predators. The first was a loss on election night, when the Vancouver Canucks decided to spread the wealth into the back of Nashville's net, thumping the Preds 4-0. It was the first time the Predators had been shut out all season, and the first time the team had failed to score three goals since the 5-2 loss to St. Louis on opening night.
Calgary have had some difficulties of their own, looking to nip this team offensive funk in the bud. The Flames have scored just 13 goals in their last five contests. That's an average of 2.6 goals per game, after the team averaged 3.1 goals/game in October.
This is not the first time this season these two teams have met. The Predators hosted the first contest of the season in Nashville. The Predators started out strong, but the Flames roared back with five unanswered goals in the third period - including a hat trick from captain Jarome Iginla - to win the game 5-3 and leave a bitter taste in the Preds' collective mouth. Round two will be in the Pengrowth Saddledome, where the Predators are 7-5-6 all-time.
It's a battle to see who can re-ignite the offensive fires first - will it be Jason Arnott, JP Dumont and the Predators, or Jarome Iginla, Todd Bertuzzi and the Flames?

Predators' Team Leaders
Goals: Martin Erat, 6
Assists: Jean-Pierre Dumont, 12
Power Play Goals: Jason Arnott, 3
Power play scoring: Dumont, 5
Short-Handed Goals: Joel Ward, 1
Shots: Shea Weber, 39
Shooting Percentage: Arnott, .294
Plus-Minus: Joel Ward, +4
Penalty Minutes: Dan Hamhuis, Jordin Tootoo, 19
Hits: Hamhuis, 29
Blocked Shots: Greg Zanon, 34
Giveaways: Dumont, 9
Takeaways: Hamhuis, Tootoo, 10
Turnover Differential: Tootoo, +7
Wins: Dan Ellis, 4-5-1
Minutes Played: Ellis, 533
GAA: Pekka Rinne, 2.69
Save Percentage: Rinne, 90.3%
Shutouts: None Recorded

Predators' Fun Fact:
Martin Erat needs just two goals to tie Greg Johnson and Scott Hartnell for third all-time (93), and is just three further goals shy of Scott Walker for second all-time (96).

Predators' Player to Watch: Captain Jason Arnott, who has 44 points (24g-20a) in 47 career games against the Flames.

Predators' Reason(s) to Worry: The Predators are 1-4-1 on the road, are winless when trailing after one period, and are 1-3-1 when conceding the first goal.

Predators' Injuries
None

Predators' Projected Lineup
Hörnqvist-Arnott-Dumont
Erat-Legwand-Tootoo
Smithson-Bonk-Ward
Fiddler-Nichol-Tarnasky

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-De Vries
Zanon-Klein

Rinne

Flames' Team Leaders
Goals: Todd Bertuzzi, 7
Assists: Jarome Iginla, Mike Cammalleri, 8
Power Play Goals: Bertuzzi, 5
Short-Handed Goals: None Recorded
Shots: Dion Phaneuf, 55
Shooting Percentage: Bertuzzi, 25.9%
Plus-Minus: Mark Giordano, +4
Penalty Minutes: Brandon Prust, 37
Wins: Miikka Kiprusoff, 7-5-1
GAA: Kiprusoff, 2.92
Save Percentage: Kiprusoff, 90.2%
Shutouts: Kiprusoff, 1

Flames' Fun Fact(s): The Flames have some odd numbers in the shot department. They have just 111 blocked shots (29th in the league) and have 170 missed shots (4th in the league).

Flames' Player to Watch: Jarome Iginla has gone five games without a goal, and has 21 goals and 19 assists all-time against the Predators, including a hat trick on October 23 in Nashville.

Flames' Reason to Worry: Calgary netminder Miikka Kiprusoff has started every single game for the Flames to this point, and may be starting to show signs of fatigue. This doesn't bode well for the Flames at all, with untested (150 NHL minutes) youngster Curtis McElhinney as his backup.

Flames' Injuries
Matthew Lombardi (Upper Body, DTD)
Rhett Warrener (Shoulder, IR)

Flames' Projected Lineup
(Information regarding the lines was pulled from the most recent Calgary GDT as well as the "Flames Update" section of the team Website)
Cammalleri-Boyd-Iginla
Bourque-Langkow-Bertuzzi
Glencross-Boyd-Moss
Prust-Primeau-Nystrom

Vandermeer-Phaneuf
Regehr-Sarich
Giordano-Aucoin

Kiprusoff

Media Coverage: The game will be televised on SportsNet West in HD and on the radio on FAN960 (I think, not sure) in Calgary. In Nashville, the game will be televised on FSN, and broadcast over the radio on 104.5 "The Zone." Tom Callahan will have the call on the radio, and Pete Weber and Terry Crisp will cover the game on TV.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 11-06-2008 at 06:57 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Awesome GDT. We were handling the Flames until that third period melt-down last time....

It would be interesting to see the goals for, per period. It just struck me that just in the Flames game and Canucks game, we have a -8 third period goal differential....OUCH.

One final note: The three goal streak is pretty amazing given our offense. Its too bad we have had such porous defensive play sap the explosion in goals.

1-4-1 on the road.......that is NOT going to cut it. This team simply cannot win on the road, and it never has been able to.

11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Rinne to start

Not a huge surprise. Lineup has been updated accordingly.

Old
11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I don't know that putting Rinne in and creating another Mason situation is the answer. Ellis wasn't really the problem in the last game. The fact that we spent nearly the whole game in our end was a bigger issue.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:04 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I think the difference is that we are hanging our entire future on Rinne.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:34 PM
lugnut76

I certainly hope Ellis' sitting tonight isn't a sign of the team or coaching staff's lack of confidence in him or a reaction to the goals against from the previous game. If not for two very strong periods of goaltending the predators would have been buried early. I imagine a road trip like this is pretty tough on guys physically and mentally so its probably a good idea to rest him a game or two during this stretch.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
I certainly hope Ellis' sitting tonight isn't a sign of the team or coaching staff's lack of confidence in him or a reaction to the goals against from the previous game. If not for two very strong periods of goaltending the predators would have been buried early. I imagine a road trip like this is pretty tough on guys physically and mentally so its probably a good idea to rest him a game or two during this stretch.
Especially coming off a back injury and having to fly across the country...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It would be interesting to see the goals for, per period. It just struck me that just in the Flames game and Canucks game, we have a -8 third period goal differential....OUCH.
so far this year for us after 12 games;

1st period... 14-11
2nd period... 12-16
3rd period... 10-14

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:55 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Glennon: Jones, Peverley, Koistinen scratched tonight

Well, I agree with one of the three...

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 11-06-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old
11-06-2008, 08:41 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Game Day Chat

Keep it civil, please.

Old
11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Paincakes

K, **** this team.

Going to bed.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Poile is going to have to make a move IF Dumont is out for any amount of time ... or maybe we should just make a run for Tavares/Hedman

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
therealdeal

Friggin sweet game tonight!

Not from a coaching standpoint of course, but for pure entertainment it was awesome! God damn Weber is awesome.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

lol interesting game. i feel like i entered the twilight zone for a couple hours. Fiddler with a penalty shot, and he undresses Kipper, rofl. We actually score on a 5-3, twice! 3 shorties total, Weber pinching in deep with 2 goals, a disallowed goal, fights, Legwand leading our team in points with a goal that had no business going in. It's scary to think how dangerously close we came to tying this one up. Odd, odd game.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

There are some clear positives for this team. Our offense this year is so much better at getting results than any other team in the past. With two guys that are not afraid to go to the net - Jones and Hornqvist, it makes up for our lack of skill. Add to that several things:

1) Weber is becoming one of the best defensemen in the league. He is simply awesome.

2) Dumont has become a legitimate 1st line winger. When he came here, he was a top 6 forward with inconsistencies. Now - he would start on most teams 1st line RW spot.

3) Erat is playing like he did to start the year last season - i.e. a ppg forward. I think we all agreed that pre-injury last year, Erat looked terrific. Post-injury - he looked like crap. The 7 year deal he received was a good contract ONLY if he reverted more to pre-injury form, and thus far, he definitely has.

The problems this team is having right now is on the defensive side. Our forwards are young and missing responsibilities. More importantly, though, is Hamhuis, DeVries, Koistenen, Zanon, and Klein's poor play. Aside from Weber and Suter, we have had poor play from the lot of our defensemen....

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:55 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Hamhuis in particular was BRUTAL last night. I'm not sure what's going on there.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:40 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I am glad the team rallied to make it interesting. They can take that as a positive.
In the GDC, several folks have questioned if Arnott is the right guy to be captain of this team. I have come around to this view also. For whatever reason, I think you have to consider a new captain. But it could be disastrous for his play to yank the C from him, unless it was his idea. So I have mixed feelings.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:54 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
The game last night was awesome, the first period scared the shtuff outta me, but the second and third were exciting and fun, its what makes me like hockey, even if you lose you still feel like they tried and made the comeback.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Ive either matured, gone mad, or hit some sort of hockey zen plateau

After 10 years of screaming, jumping up and down, wanting to throw things, etc after watching my Preds get hammered, I was finally able to just sit calmly and take the game in. I realize that either a] the Preds will make a comeback or b] it wont be the end of the world if we suffer another humiating loss.

What in the world is wrong with Hamhuis? How do we have the envy of the league on our young blueline and still give up 10 goals per night?

Also, Arnott is really flubbing some awesome chances in tight. It has happened several times over the past couple of games.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
I am glad the team rallied to make it interesting. They can take that as a positive.
In the GDC, several folks have questioned if Arnott is the right guy to be captain of this team. I have come around to this view also. For whatever reason, I think you have to consider a new captain. But it could be disastrous for his play to yank the C from him, unless it was his idea. So I have mixed feelings.
My problem with Arnott was that when Ward was plastered behind the net by Sarich, Arnott was the closest Predator and simply skated by without a thought. In a game like that, Calgary, and their building, is going to get a major momentum boost from a hit like that and it disgusts me that our captain of all people (6'4" 225) simply skates on by and doesn't even grab Sarich.

Ward actually started the comeback really by getting up and grabbing Sarich and sending the message that we were not going to roll over and play dead.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:11 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
What in the world is wrong with Hamhuis?
He has to play alongside De Vries and Klein.

Old
11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He has to play alongside De Vries and Klein.
yup our d sucks outside of our big 3 (Devries, Koistinen, Klein & Zanon) are not NHL Top-4 caliber Dmen

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
yup our d sucks outside of our big 3 (Devries, Koistinen, Klein & Zanon) are not NHL Top-4 caliber Dmen
Klein has top four potential... he just plays with his head up his asterisk on defense.

But we really don't have a third pairing at all. De Vries is almost too slow to play at this level now, and Koistinen has to produce to be effective. Zanon is a solid penalty killer and one of the league's premier shot blockers, and his limited offensive skills and salary make him an ideal guy to rotate out with a younger player that you're trying to gradually usher into the NHL (Sulzer, Franson, Laakso, Ramholt, Josi). We lack an established top four defenseman, although Klein certainly has the potential to reach that point.

At this point, I'm totally down with calling up Sulzer or possibly even Laakso. Please, for the love of God, trade Koistinen.

Old
11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Nitrous Mafia

I came home last night at 12 30 and the game had been paused at the beginning of the third. I was about to turn it off until they scored and then I sucked in for the rest of the game. Crazy.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
My simple answer for Hamhuis' troubles is he is trying to do too much. He needs to simplify his game and just try to be solid while hoping that his partners can at least do their part.

He seems to get caught between two different actions...he's thinking too much and not just reacting. The nights that he is on and there have been several (the games we dominate) he is reacting and you can see that. The games he is off and there have been several he is trying to do too much and can't decide were to be.

For instance, the shorty against was caused by him deciding to back off of the guy trying to clear, seemingly because Klien hadn't covered the center of the ice and let a guy get behind them. That play should have been easily Hamhuis defending the wall with Klien covering the center of the ice to breakup the exact pass that burnt them.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote