HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Washington (5-4-1) at Ottawa (4-5-2), 7:30 PM ~ SNET-E (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2008, 06:50 AM
  #451
Herc Man
AmandaHugincis
 
Herc Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Nepean
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Last night was my first game this season that I could get to. Some of my thoughts on last night:

Auld - First time seeing him in person. **** me the guy is HUGE! He doesn't look that big on the tube! The guy may not be great yet, however he is consistantly good!

Picard - Every time I looked over I saw Picard on the ice. This kid seems to be eating up minutes. And the best part is, last night I never once said "Oh crap, Redden/Mez are on the ice again, watch out!". Picard and Kuba have been gold.

Heatley - I damn near crapped my pants when he went for the deke instead of shooting! Missed two open nets though.

Fisher - Wow. Had plenty of chances and also got a crossbar to go with the goal and assist. This Alfie/Fisher/Winchester line really seems to be clicking. Way to work Fish!

Winchester - Who the hell was this guy last year and where did he come from? Talk about good scouting. For his first year I have been very impressed by his hockey sense and vision. He's not big, but he doesn't shy away from working the boards or taking a hit.

And for the nice lady that sold me the guarenteed "winning" 50/50 ticket, **** you! I did not walk home with the $12,000 last night!

Herc Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:48 AM
  #452
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet
 
PatrickEaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,786
vCash: 500
About Winchester.

I like his defensive play and board work, but I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with his questionable finishing ability playing with one of our elite players(Alfie).

He hasn't missed any open nets like Kelly yet, but he's gotten the puck in some prime shooting areas and has shot the puck straight into the middle of the goaltender's chest every time.

__________________
No, I'm not a girl. Stop asking!
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlQ4ybRWH8
PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
  #453
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Slumbers View Post
I was at the game and I have to say, when Fisher scored, it was the loudest I've ever heard a SBP crowd in a non-playoff context.

Even when they announced his assist on the first goal people were going nuts. Ottawa loves Mike Fisher.
Mike Fisher.

Worth every penny.


That is all......

jamiebez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:00 AM
  #454
Zorf
Registered User
 
Zorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
About Winchester.

I like his defensive play and board work, but I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with his questionable finishing ability playing with one of our elite players(Alfie).

He hasn't missed any open nets like Kelly yet, but he's gotten the puck in some prime shooting areas and has shot the puck straight into the middle of the goaltender's chest every time.
While that can be frustrating, a shot on net is always better than a shot that misses the net. Even though he is shooting right at the goalie, at least there is a chance for rebounds.

Also, I remember listening to an interview with Luc Robitaille, and Phil Esposito (I think) asked him if he aimed his shots. Luc, who is one of the best scoring wingers of all time, said that he always aimed for the middle of the net. If his shot was off target, it wouldn't miss the net and it would look like he was picking the corners. I'm sure he would aim some shots, but, at the same time, that is good advice to give to young players. Just hit the damn net. Eventually one will go in. It's better than missing by a mile...*cough*Meszaros*cough*

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:14 AM
  #455
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyBass View Post
About Winchester.

I like his defensive play and board work, but I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with his questionable finishing ability playing with one of our elite players(Alfie).

He hasn't missed any open nets like Kelly yet, but he's gotten the puck in some prime shooting areas and has shot the puck straight into the middle of the goaltender's chest every time.
As far as I'm concerned, getting into scoring position is a great way to start, and he shows a lot more creativity than most of our players.

Just keeping up with Alfie's vision is pretty difficult, particularly for a rookie. We have to give him time.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 10:39 AM
  #456
KingKarlsson
 
KingKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harf View Post
While that can be frustrating, a shot on net is always better than a shot that misses the net. Even though he is shooting right at the goalie, at least there is a chance for rebounds.

Also, I remember listening to an interview with Luc Robitaille, and Phil Esposito (I think) asked him if he aimed his shots. Luc, who is one of the best scoring wingers of all time, said that he always aimed for the middle of the net. If his shot was off target, it wouldn't miss the net and it would look like he was picking the corners. I'm sure he would aim some shots, but, at the same time, that is good advice to give to young players. Just hit the damn net. Eventually one will go in. It's better than missing by a mile...*cough*Meszaros*cough*
Haha that's great advice. I wouldn't be surprised if Winchester's doing that too, because he is playing a very safe game and doesn't want to make many mistakes.

I don't know if his shot is going to get better, but he's been a pretty solid playmaker and is solid in everything else he does. His offence will only improve as his comfort level does.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:10 AM
  #457
Papa Lazarou*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Schrennhampton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,018
vCash: 500
LOL @ those arguing about fisher/heatley with that spazztard Answer...

Papa Lazarou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 11:33 AM
  #458
pt_mck
Registered User
 
pt_mck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,866
vCash: 500
@ the game as well. Real solid 64 minute 39 sec effort by the sens. No one stood out as being that bad. Everyone put in a solid full-game effort. The sens should have had 4-5 goals easily.

We should just decline 5-on-3 opportunities.

My lone gripe is with Spezza. That guy will not go into a dirty zone to fight for the puck. He shies away from physical contact on a regular basis and loses many battles along the boards.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
  #459
The Mars Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 37,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
It's nice that Winchester looks good and all, but that line still hasn't scored an even strength, 5 on 5 goal together. We play the highest scoring team in the league tomorrow, in terms of goals per game, so the offense is going to have to step up a bit. They've gotten lots of shots, but they are not burying any of their chances.

Also, the PP went back to trying to force it to Heatley last night. I wouldn't mind seeing them look to Picard sneaking in back door more.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:05 PM
  #460
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
It's nice that Winchester looks good and all, but that line still hasn't scored an even strength, 5 on 5 goal together. We play the highest scoring team in the league tomorrow, in terms of goals per game, so the offense is going to have to step up a bit. They've gotten lots of shots, but they are not burying any of their chances.

Also, the PP went back to trying to force it to Heatley last night. I wouldn't mind seeing them look to Picard sneaking in back door more.
I see Picard sneak in all the time (on ES rushes as well), but none of his teammates seem to react/notice him. It could be a very effective play if they start using it.

__________________
No longer valid
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:07 PM
  #461
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
It's nice that Winchester looks good and all, but that line still hasn't scored an even strength, 5 on 5 goal together. We play the highest scoring team in the league tomorrow, in terms of goals per game, so the offense is going to have to step up a bit. They've gotten lots of shots, but they are not burying any of their chances.
I think chemistry is not generated easily. Winchester has bounced around like a ping pong ball, not only playing on different lines, but switching positions as well.

I just take notice of the fact that they generated the best scoring chances of the team at even strength while playing against one of the biggest threats in the league and were by far the best line for the Senators last night.

Vermette generated a lot of shots without scoring and this was viewed as a good thing.


Last edited by NyQuil: 11-05-2008 at 12:20 PM.
NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
  #462
Pancakes Pancakes
Registered User
 
Pancakes Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cattawa
Posts: 3,036
vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
It's nice that Winchester looks good and all, but that line still hasn't scored an even strength, 5 on 5 goal together. We play the highest scoring team in the league tomorrow, in terms of goals per game, so the offense is going to have to step up a bit. They've gotten lots of shots, but they are not burying any of their chances.

Also, the PP went back to trying to force it to Heatley last night. I wouldn't mind seeing them look to Picard sneaking in back door more.
They may have the most goals, but lets not forget who are goalie is.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:11 PM
  #463
Karl Cowensson
Two Headed Monster!
 
Karl Cowensson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northern Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
It's nice that Winchester looks good and all, but that line still hasn't scored an even strength, 5 on 5 goal together. We play the highest scoring team in the league tomorrow, in terms of goals per game, so the offense is going to have to step up a bit. They've gotten lots of shots, but they are not burying any of their chances.

Also, the PP went back to trying to force it to Heatley last night. I wouldn't mind seeing them look to Picard sneaking in back door more.
That line is getting a lot of good scoring chances. I think they just need a few more games and we will see them start putting up points. Forcing it to Heatley on the PP isn't such a bad idea as long as Heatley finishes. It would be nice if we could get a few more set plays in on the PP to change it up a bit. Picard and Kuba definitely need to shoot from the point more.

Karl Cowensson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:13 PM
  #464
michelb
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
...

My lone gripe is with Spezza. That guy will not go into a dirty zone to fight for the puck. He shies away from physical contact on a regular basis and loses many battles along the boards.
I was unimpressed with Spezza's play again. As you mention, no physical play and doesn't fight for the puck and the battles he does get into, he loses. He didn't make any huge mistakes/giveaways but he made a lot of bad decisions (passing to players who weren't in position to get the puck, passes to wrong side of shooter, dump in when had open players to pass, was not in good position to get passes, etc), once again didn't play well under pressure (lost most of his face-offs on the pp, lost face face-off in Caps end when Sens were pressing to score before OT, lost the puck against the board for no reason in last 20 secs of game, etc). Some of his passes were just way too hard today and unfortunately, he didn't show the same effort in backchecking that he had improved upon lately - most of the time when the puck went back into our zone, he'd push a few strides and then start coasting at center ice. He also did not have a good game defensively, several times in our end, he missed his assignment and the Caps had open shots on net unchallenged.

He had been doing better of late but this was certainly a step back for him and he didn't have to play against the Caps top line much.

michelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:49 PM
  #465
hydrokid
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
the game winner though was amazing, if you watch the whole breakout the sens broke down each caps player one by one on clean crisp passes. Hmmmm i hear a winning streak a comming

hydrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
  #466
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrokid View Post
the game winner though was amazing, if you watch the whole breakout the sens broke down each caps player one by one on clean crisp passes. Hmmmm i hear a winning streak a comming
This may have been the game where Alfie has looked the most like his old self.

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
  #467
hydrokid
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
also on the nhl.com website they got an excellent recap of the games that included full clips rather then 5 sec highlights ... big ups to nhl.com stepping there game up ..... hopefully soon they will do a sens in 6 minutes recap ... THAT WOULD BE SWEEEETTTTTT !!!!


hydrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
  #468
KingKarlsson
 
KingKarlsson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
This may have been the game where Alfie has looked the most like his old self.
I noticed that. His speed wasn't as great as it's been the past few years, and I was wondering if he was slowing down or it had something to do with recovering from the knee surgery.

Hopefully it's the latter and he continues to look like he did last night.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
  #469
hydrokid
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
This may have been the game where Alfie has looked the most like his old self.
yep i concur, Alfie could have had at least two in the game and Heater should could have had a hat trick !!!

Johnson was playing on his head for most of the game.

was loving it though in the 3rd when Philie took out Ovechkin that was serious just threw da man down like nothing ....

hydrokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:38 PM
  #470
Paul MacLeans stache
Registered User
 
Paul MacLeans stache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: On the ice
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,136
vCash: 500
Anytime Jason Spezza would like to show up and do something other than skate around and give up on the puck, I am sure the fans would be grateful.

Paul MacLeans stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:51 PM
  #471
Golden Slumbers
Registered User
 
Golden Slumbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Potato View Post
Anytime Jason Spezza would like to show up and do something other than skate around and give up on the puck, I am sure the fans would be grateful.
Come on now, he fell down a few times too.

Golden Slumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:58 PM
  #472
KeepTheTallGuy
Leif van Sock
 
KeepTheTallGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Yester-year
Country: Canada
Posts: 356
vCash: 50
What the heck did Winnie say to Ovechkin to p155 him off so much? I swear Ovie was hitting him every chance he could. I like that it didn't seem to rattle him too much.

KeepTheTallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
  #473
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelb View Post
I was unimpressed with Spezza's play again. As you mention, no physical play and doesn't fight for the puck and the battles he does get into, he loses. He didn't make any huge mistakes/giveaways but he made a lot of bad decisions (passing to players who weren't in position to get the puck, passes to wrong side of shooter, dump in when had open players to pass, was not in good position to get passes, etc), once again didn't play well under pressure (lost most of his face-offs on the pp, lost face face-off in Caps end when Sens were pressing to score before OT, lost the puck against the board for no reason in last 20 secs of game, etc). Some of his passes were just way too hard today and unfortunately, he didn't show the same effort in backchecking that he had improved upon lately - most of the time when the puck went back into our zone, he'd push a few strides and then start coasting at center ice. He also did not have a good game defensively, several times in our end, he missed his assignment and the Caps had open shots on net unchallenged.

He had been doing better of late but this was certainly a step back for him and he didn't have to play against the Caps top line much.
I stopped reading when i tought about Grezky and his physical play. Not every player has to be like Jarome Iginla...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:07 PM
  #474
DontBooAlfieDuckFans
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 898
vCash: 500
This was a full team effort tonight, and auld is proving himself to be a solid goaltender.. if anything he might be past solid!
I had faith in hartsy to get this team back in shape, because I know a 2-5 start to the season just wasn't right...

DontBooAlfieDuckFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 11:07 PM
  #475
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglersfan View Post
This was a full team effort tonight, and auld is proving himself to be a solid goaltender.. if anything he might be past solid!
I had faith in hartsy to get this team back in shape, because I know a 2-5 start to the season just wasn't right...
Er, yeah. You mean the Washington game or the Philly game?

NyQuil is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.