HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Higgins officially back with Koivu and Tanguay (per CKAC)

Old
11-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Actually higgins looks like **** with Koivu and Lang on the PP.... I saw we switch Higgins and Lats on the PP units.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Actually higgins looks like **** with Koivu and Lang on the PP.... I saw we switch Higgins and Lats on the PP units.
No you dont. Lats has been a slug tonight. -2 with a stupid hooking penalty. Not the scoreline we're looking for.

edit: koivu to higgins...no ****

Last edited by Krautso: 11-01-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Krautso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
No you dont. Lats has been a slug tonight. -2 with a stupid hooking penalty. Not the scoreline we're looking for.
What has higgins done?? not tonight... but all 4 games he's been back....

Hes done nothing to earn a promotion.

Edit: Okay I can recognize good play... he's forgiven.

Old
11-01-2008, 08:30 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:

edit: koivu to higgins...no ****
Hey Krautso how has Higgins and Koivu been tonight?

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Can someone put a youtube link to the music video "Hate to say i told you so"

That would be great

Thanks

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Can someone put a youtube link to the music video "Hate to say i told you so"

That would be great

Thanks
He earned a promotion tonight... but its 1 goal and 1 period.... I'm not saying he's earned a full season on that line.... if he struggles next game we can rotate it again.

Old
11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
HabsSlappy

Latendresse was banging bodies around, but I think Higgins deserves to stay on that line for now. He is one of our top 6 forwards and has great chemistry with Koivu...He should be on that line in my opinion. Nice to finally see him there.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:49 PM
znk

Easy decision. The last 3 games when the puck ended up on Lat's stick it was the end of the play and we either lost the puck or had to restart everything.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 08:54 PM
mcphee

Quote:
He earned a promotion tonight... but its 1 goal and 1 period.... I'm not saying he's earned a full season on that line.... if he struggles next game we can rotate it again.
One things the Isles have, kind of like the Leafs is a lot of guys with quick feet. If you get caught flat footed you look bad. So, when you get caught in game trailing all the time, you juggle. Higgins had some jump, they could have moved Tanguay as easily as he never got into the flow of the game. Neither did Koivu until the 3rd.

With the comeback, Higgins will be on th eline Friday, but it won't be the last time you see Lats with Koivu.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Krautso

Quote:
I wouldn't even give higgins the 8 games goaless that carbo gave lats unless that line was scoring off the charts and it looked like higgins was a huge part of it. Lats had one assist in the last 5 no goals in the last 8. It was time for a change. Hopefully higgins continues to earn that spot and lats finds some chemistry with lats and s.kost.

Crazy win tonight. Cutting kovalev when you have the habs down and out is probably the stupidest thing you can do. He was dynamite after that and you could see pleks and a.kost just feed off of that.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
zx81

Higgins worked hard enough to earn his spot on Koivu's line.

Now I hope Lats will help Sergei with his physical presence because right now the younger brother is really invisible.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
I wouldn't even give higgins the 8 games goaless that carbo gave lats unless that line was scoring off the charts and it looked like higgins was a huge part of it. Lats had one assist in the last 5 no goals in the last 8. It was time for a change. Hopefully higgins continues to earn that spot and lats finds some chemistry with lats and s.kost.

Crazy win tonight. Cutting kovalev when you have the habs down and out is probably the stupidest thing you can do. He was dynamite after that and you could see pleks and a.kost just feed off of that.
You're right, but I think his dumb penalty lit a fire under him too. I think he was a bit embarassed as you can tell when he gets that look when he's going to take over.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
One things the Isles have, kind of like the Leafs is a lot of guys with quick feet. If you get caught flat footed you look bad. So, when you get caught in game trailing all the time, you juggle. Higgins had some jump, they could have moved Tanguay as easily as he never got into the flow of the game. Neither did Koivu until the 3rd.

With the comeback, Higgins will be on th eline Friday, but it won't be the last time you see Lats with Koivu.

See i feel the same way, for the love of GOd i dont hate lats and i love what hes doing out there sometimes..but he CAN do that on the third line and SEMI limited Time on ice

Higgins with koivu and tanguay just FITS, he makes the line as dangerous as it SHOULD be and we all have to realize that, but yes, its NOT the last time we see lats with koivu! jeez

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:08 PM
couz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Higgins worked hard enough to earn his spot on Koivu's line.

Now I hope Lats will help Sergei with his physical presence because right now the younger brother is really invisible.
Yup, I don't even notice SKos anymore.

The whole 3rd line looks innefective even when Higgins is on it.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Hey Krautso how has Higgins and Koivu been tonight?
Well I know two people that aren't surprised that higgins was promoted and that koivu fed him for a goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
You're right, but I think his dumb penalty lit a fire under him too. I think he was a bit embarassed as you can tell when he gets that look when he's going to take over.
Your right. I don't know whether to be thankful that he's got the talent to put the team on his back and dominate when he's motivated or to be pissed that he doesn't play like that all the time. He looked like he did in the playoffs after the "slash" against boston. On a mission.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-01-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old
11-01-2008, 09:30 PM
mcphee

Quote:
See i feel the same way, for the love of GOd i dont hate lats and i love what hes doing out there sometimes..but he CAN do that on the third line and SEMI limited Time on ice

Higgins with koivu and tanguay just FITS, he makes the line as dangerous as it SHOULD be and we all have to realize that, but yes, its NOT the last time we see lats with koivu! jeez
I think Crabo wants to have set duos. Pleknec and Kovalev, Tanguay and Koivu at the present, I think he'd like to see Lang gel with S.Kost, and the left wings will stay on lines until they need to be juggled.

Old
11-01-2008, 09:37 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Well I know two people that aren't surprised that higgins was promoted and that koivu fed him for a goal!
I know a few more who we aren't going to see in this thread for awhile!

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Soooo you think 7 games scoreless isn't enough? How many should he go? 10, 15, 20 before they change it? His job on that wing is to convert chances and he isn't getting it done."Thats what they are doing YET" makes no sense, I don't know how to respond to that.

You have no argument at all.
7Games Goalless is what you meant, not scoreless.
And no, I'm not Lats mother, i've mentioned before that I don't even like him. I just felt the Saku line was doing well and that keeping Higgins with Lang balanced our team more than bringing Lats down. I don't think you can dispute this fact, which is all I was saying. For some reason you interpreted this as '' I'm Lats mother'', which couldn't be further from the truth

There's absolutely no doubt Higgins would do well with Koivu, he got 27G last year with him and with Tanguay there instead of Ryder, there's some good chances he could get more.
But if we put him there, I feel we'd have 2 Solid top lines with one very defensively liable 3rd line with the slow Lang/Lats duo.
I feel our third line would suffer a great deal from it and would produce very little. I might be wrong, but I guess we'll have to see.

I've mentioned it before, it's all about Balancing our lineup in the best way possible and with the Koivu line going well, there was no need to change anything.

Tonight we were doing horrible, nobody playing well, so changes happened and it was the perfect time to do it. We'll have to see if these lines stay intact and how well that 3rd line pans out.

Last edited by Kriss E: 11-01-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

Semi Limited ice time on the third line?? You realize this is the third game in a row lats got less than 13:00 of ice time and virtually no PP time. Of course he hasn't been getting as many points since Higgins came back... Higgins has replaced him on the PP.

Whether Higgins replacing him on the PP is good or not is another debate entirely... but with 13:00 a game and no PP time we should naturally expect less production. Its just the way it is, but should we say its his fault the production went down or the fact that he is a 21 year old winger who right now is the 9th best forward in our top 9?? There is only room for 8 forwards on the PP units.... 2 units of 4 forwards and 1 D each.

Lats has a valuable role on this team as part of our top 9... there is no reason to throw him under a bus. He still has been very good this year... 7 pts in 10 games, and he has been 10x better than last season.

We saw tonight that AKost is much better on RW.

I'd like to see

Tanguay - Koivu - Higgins
Lats - Pleks - Kovy
SKost - Lang- Akost.

tried next game.

Old
11-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Shocking that Higgins made his way back where he belongs

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Chomsky

Quote:

I'd like to see

Lats - Pleks - Kovy
SKost - Lang- Akost.

tried next game.
Higgins is awful on the RW.

Wait... scratch that... beyond awful. I'd rather have the current line-up or Tanguay-Koivu-Akost line than your line-up cuz I really doubt that Lang will gel with the bros and that line would be awful defensively. That said... nice PP trios.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
7Games Goalless is what you meant, not scoreless.
And no, I'm not Lats mother, i've mentioned before that I don't even like him. I just felt the Saku line was doing well and that keeping Higgins with Lang balanced our team more than bringing Lats down. I don't think you can dispute this fact, which is all I was saying. For some reason you interpreted this as '' I'm Lats mother'', which couldn't be further from the truth

There's absolutely no doubt Higgins would do well with Koivu, he got 27G last year with him and with Tanguay there instead of Ryder, there's some good chances he could get more.
But if we put him there, I feel we'd have 2 Solid top lines with one very defensively liable 3rd line with the slow Lang/Lats duo.
I feel our third line would suffer a great deal from it and would produce very little. I might be wrong, but I guess we'll have to see.

I've mentioned it before, it's all about Balancing our lineup in the best way possible and with the Koivu line going well, there was no need to change anything.

Tonight we were doing horrible, nobody playing well, so changes happened and it was the perfect time to do it. We'll have to see if these lines stay intact and how well that 3rd line pans out.
Yeah, goalless is what I meant. No offense intended with the mother comment but I really don't understand why people seem personally offended that other fans think a line-up shuffle was in order. I don't hate lats but I didn't think he was being effective on that line. If the other two lines were clicking I wouldn't risk upsetting the applecart but they weren't so what would the harm be in trying out something else?

Higgins has a good history with koivu and tanguay looks great on the other side. I think its a no brainer to put them together.

Old
11-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Yeah, goalless is what I meant. No offense intended with the mother comment but I really don't understand why people seem personally offended that other fans think a line-up shuffle was in order. I don't hate lats but I didn't think he was being effective on that line. If the other two lines were clicking I wouldn't risk upsetting the applecart but they weren't so what would the harm be in trying out something else?

Higgins has a good history with koivu and tanguay looks great on the other side. I think its a no brainer to put them together.
Ya, well that's one way to look at it.
The other way is that since there's only 1line that was working well, you shouldn't touch that line.
Very much like the Plek line was the only one working last year and we didn't touch it.
This year, before tonight, Koivu's line was the only one working well. Lats happened to be on that line, so that's why I was defending him.

I had no problem shuffling the other 2lines, but I didn't see the point of mixing up a line that's working.

Since nothing was working tonight, I wasn't surprised to see Carbo mix it up. Higgins made sure to be noticed because he clearly wants his spot back.
We'll see how this all pans out but I really don't like Lang/Lats/S.Kost. It just looks horrible, on paper to say the least.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
I'd like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
I'd rather have the current line-up or Tanguay-Koivu-Akost line
Once again, I definitely agree with you guys. Tanguay is absolutely HORRIBLE as a right winger, and I mean, players not playing their natural wing make them almost un-useable. Tanguay is such an albatross on the right wing. No skill at all. Why hasn't he been made a Left Winger on the Habs? Ugh, Carbo

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2008, 01:04 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Latendresse was banging bodies around, but I think Higgins deserves to stay on that line for now. He is one of our top 6 forwards and has great chemistry with Koivu...He should be on that line in my opinion. Nice to finally see him there.
One thing though... if lats is on the line... and makes exactly the same play Higgins made... you'd have some posters here saying that he leached off Koivu on that play and it was an easy goal for him and it was nothing special....

Really I don't understand the bias.

Higgins made a good play on that goal and he buried it.... but if lats makes a nice pass and someone else buries it he never did anything on the play and it was all the other guy.

I just wish we could watch the games without these biases.