HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Home-and-Home Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. New York Islanders (2/29, 3/2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 05:55 PM
chicpea*

vCash: 500
WTF? You guys are just encouraging Buffalo to keep trying. We need to knock them out! Anyway, a point is better than nothing, good luck next game guys. I have no problem if you guys pass us in the race but keep Buffalo out.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Islanders4Cups

The Penguins deserved to win this one. The Isles once again played down to their competition. I don't understand this team.

Once again, as the power play goes, so go the Islanders!

By the way, the Isles are probably lucky to come away with a point. I thought for sure it would be a penalty shot for Snow's throwing the stick save in the 3rd period.
Any news on DP?
:mad:

Old
02-29-2004, 05:58 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders4Cups

ISLES LOOKED TERRIBLE!!!

Congrats and well done by the Pens!
These are very classy posts, most of the time when the Pens beat a team, they get called an AHL team and get run down. There are some classy posters on the Isles board.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:00 PM
DJ Spinoza

Well, good game guys. Pens are hopefully starting to get the Isles off their back.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Jones23

Great game!...by the Pens that is.Good goaltending by Chiodo,a hard working Pens team and very opportunistic.Good job by Eddie O to keep this team caring and working hard.

Not the best Isles game by any means but not a stinker either.Many chances that could of easily turned this into an Isles win but either couldn't get the bounce or get a stick on it.Scatchard and Parrish are two that come to mind.

To many times the Isles were caught reading rather then reacting and it showed by the forecheck in the Isles zone and Stirling's face during the timeout.

Isles had more chances,more shots,more hits but at times were outworked.The Pens hung around long enough and captialized when it mattered.

The loss sucks,but it's still a point and hopefully a lesson learned for Tuesday.

Go Isles!

Old
02-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice
It took us about less than 2 minutes for ESPN first subtle "Isles can't beat the Rangers" jab...
But they did not make a huge deal of it and added the comment early on that lately the Pens have been playing harder than the Rangers. I thought ESPN (Thorne and Clement) did a decent job with this game. The Isles received plenty of praise early on about their special teams, goaltending, Kvasha, playing without their big money guys. As it became evident that they didn't bring their "A" game, they swung to the Pens, and deservedly so.

Terrible job by the Isles in front of a National TV audiance (although I bet not many were watching) and what appeared to be a decent size crowd.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:32 PM
NYIsles1*

Highest marks to the Pens, they flew coast to coast and had more jump than the Isles from beginning to end. They deserves the two points.

Isles were very lucky not to lose in regulation because Niinmaa's goal was a little luck and Kvasha's was an individual pk effort.

Isles had to get something done with the powerplay early and get the Pens in a hole. Not much pressure or high quality chances, all perimeter or one pass too many.

Isles looked very slow setting up.

Only forward moving well was Kvasha.

That's two of five games the Pens got to ot and another that was closer than the final result. That's a good, exciting core group of young players who skated and the Isles had trouble with their pressure.

Looked a lot like the last game Pens game where the Isles escaped with a win because Pittsburgh had them scrambling for a long time in that game too and had the jump.

Almost no breakdowns for Pittsburgh for high quality chances. Isles did not shoot enough when they did have chances and were trying to make one pass too many.

When they didn't Chiodo was very good but did not have many rebounds. Bates deflecting Hunter's shot in the third was their best chance.

The Pens shut down the Isles rushes out of the zones and were all over the defenders on breakouts they were tough in their own end and had few breakdowns (which is where they struggle) in front of the goalie.

Snow scrambled but made his saves. Kostopolis was stronger than Blake and had position and set a good screen for the 2-2 goal. Manlow did not play much after losing that faceoff for a goal.

Not too much that can be done.

Isles needed two points, they got one, Atlanta won (good news because they do not have games in hand) Florida only managed a tie in a game they should have won too. Gained a point of Buffalo and Montreal.

Bigger story is why DiPietro could not start because there was no word of a problem after the Buffalo game even though he grabbed his leg.

Next game Pittsburgh will be full of confidence knowing the can play with the Isles.

Old
02-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Great game to watch for us Pens fans, I'm completely shocked at the outcome.

Oh and I have to thank you guys for not signing Chiodo.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:02 PM
Riddick

pathetic play by the islanders in not actually showing up to play. Very solid play by the Pens, who go to show that usually heart can overcome skill. Lets hope its not another version of the Islanders backing into the playoffs like last year.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

The Islanders had 40 shots, they showed up, the Penguins just played harder and hungrier.

Why that is I'm still trying to figure out though...

Old
02-29-2004, 07:05 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful
Great game to watch for us Pens fans, I'm completely shocked at the outcome.

Oh and I have to thank you guys for not signing Chiodo.

Really good effort from a young Pens team that was playing for pride.

Isles did what they insisted in interviews what they wouldn't do:looked at the distance between them and the 9th and 10th place teams and eased up.

0-for 5 on the pp against the worst pk unit in the league :mad:

and Newsday reported before Chiodo's first start against the Isles that the reason he wasn't signed, was because he wanted 1st round $.I liked Chiodo,posted my complaint when he wasn't signed,but would not have wanted the Isles giving him 1st round money.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:09 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

Well he took far less than 1st round money here, that's for sure.

From what I've read the Isles never even offered him a contract, so I don't know what to believe.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:21 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:

From what I've read the Isles never even offered him a contract, so I don't know what to believe.
He really had no choice this time, his draft status dropped even after a good year with St.Micheals.

Two things happened.
1. The Isles were determined to sign Wade Dubielewicz (who several teams wanted to sign as a junior in college) and they had/have Brad Topping.

2. A few articles said the Isles found out what Chiodo wanted and it was not in the same league with what the Isles would consider offering so they never revisited it.

Bottom line, he will make a good NHL backup behind Fleury. But will the Pens go with two goaltenders this young?

And he was very good today and in the previous game.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:08 PM
dvaske

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1
He really had no choice this time, his draft status dropped even after a good year with St.Micheals.

Two things happened.
1. The Isles were determined to sign Wade Dubielewicz (who several teams wanted to sign as a junior in college) and they had/have Brad Topping.

2. A few articles said the Isles found out what Chiodo wanted and it was not in the same league with what the Isles would consider offering so they never revisited it.

Bottom line, he will make a good NHL backup behind Fleury. But will the Pens go with two goaltenders this young?

And he was very good today and in the previous game.
Topping got moved from Brampton Battalion he's the backup now on ranger farm team. Anybody have the scoop on what Topping's story is.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:28 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

having been drafted twice,Chiodo's rights were owned by the Pens.He had no leverage,no choice but to sign for what the 2nd team that drafted him offered.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:16 PM
RaTcine

You weren't suppose to win these 2 games against Pittsburgh?

Old
02-29-2004, 10:34 PM
dvaske

Was this the only scheduled "semi-national" game for the pens? Think it was a combination of it being a big National game, Pens having some renewed confidence, and chiodo having a point to make. Isles play was disapointing but I think they'll be prepared for the back end of this Home&Home. We'll take the point, and in the end we're still 2 points out of 7th with a game still at hand.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:41 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick
pathetic play by the islanders in not actually showing up to play. Very solid play by the Pens, who go to show that usually heart can overcome skill. Lets hope its not another version of the Islanders backing into the playoffs like last year.

the isles are 15-9-7-2 without their most talented player.that's hardly backing into the playoffs.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:59 PM
dvaske

Quote:
This today was the saddest of all, Sherry Ross talking calder cup winners put Tjutin over Trent Hunter and did not have Andrew Raycroft on the list. Message board posters have better knowledge than this person by a mile and Sherry Ross get's a paycheck for this garbage.

No wonder hockey's dead with the fans in this town.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/story/168844p-147481c.html
Fedor Tyutin has played 7 games has 1 total point (an assist) and is a negative 6 p/m

Hunter leads all rookies in goals (22) and trails only Ryder in total pts (44) by 4 but has played 5 fewer games due to injury (plus one game at hand. total 6 less games)
Ryder is a plus 6 Hunter is a PLUS 20 thats TWO ZERO - 20 There's not a rookie forward anywhere near plus 20.
Quote:
5. Trent Hunter, Islanders - Sorry, anyone whose team loses six times to the Rangers is ineligible for postseason honors.
Anyone who calls herself a journalist and writes crap like this is ineligible for credibility. She is however eligible for public ridicule and flogging.

PS She also appears to have been eligible for a beating with the ugly stick, and a bonus chin.(check her picture out).

Send a letter to the editor and tell them what you think of sherry. voicers@edit.nydailynews.com

Last edited by dvaske: 02-29-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Old
02-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
the isles are 15-9-7-2 without their most talented player.that's hardly backing into the playoffs.
And they reached the same number of wins as they did last year in just about the same number of games, then decided to do that slide into the playoffs. I just cant figure out this team. One minute, they look to be completely dominating top teams, the next minute they cant clear a puck out of their zone or put together a solid game. One of the great things about the rest of their schedule is that they only have, what, 3 games against playoff bound opponents? Lets hope it translates into some much needed points!

Old
02-29-2004, 11:42 PM
dvaske

Letter to the editor

My letter to the editor (dailynews)

In regard to this column by Sherry Ross:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-147481c.html

Sherry;
Islander fans have long doubted your credibility as a journalist, thank you for proving it to all with this column.
By placing Fedor Tyutin (1 total point and a -6 plus/minus) above Trent Hunter (44 points, rookie leading 22 goals, and a +20 plus/minus) in your Calder consideration list, you’ve proven to all just how little you know about hockey.

You're caveat "statistics aside" makes about as much sense as saying "mathematics aside one is greater than eighty seven". It does prove that, "Professional journalist" title aside, you're a moron.

Let me educate you a little:
Hunter leads all rookies in goals (22)
In total points (44) he trails only Michael Ryder (48)
Hunter has played 6 less games than Ryder as of this writing (5 less from injury and 1 game at hand)
Ryder is a plus 6 Hunter is a PLUS 20 (that’s TWO ZERO - 20).
There's not a rookie forward anywhere near plus 20.

Old
03-01-2004, 12:45 AM
mitchy22

In regard to this column by Sherry Ross:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-147481c.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorjournalist
4. Fedor Tyutin, Rangers - Really, a Tootoo-Tyutin tie in the voting would make my day.

5. Trent Hunter, Islanders - Sorry, anyone whose team loses six times to the Rangers is ineligible for postseason honors.
So let me see if I can figure out what is going on here...

...is it the Rangers team accomplishments that are the main contributing factor in what is truly boosting Tyutin's position above Hunter's in her standings? The team's
2-4-0-1 performance during Tyutin's long tenure has clearly shown his impact.

...is it the Islanders inability to defeat the Rangers this season that has been directly related to Trent Hunter's rookie performances over 59 games.

...wait, I may have figured it out...the list is sorted in descending favoritism order...

....pardon me...clearly Paul Martin wasn't listed first because of any favoritism this impartial journalist may have towards the Devils.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorjournalist
Sherry Ross joined the Daily News sports staff in 1995 after working three years for the New Jersey Devils. In 1992, she became the first woman to broadcast a male professional sports team as the Devils' color commentator on WABC radio. A sports journalist since 1978, and a Jersey girl all her life, she counts as her passions hockey, horses, and Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
(The Islanders are 3-1-0-1 against the defending Stanley Cup champs but since the Islanders season accomplishments are only important when in relation to their record against the Rangers this seems like an unimportant point to make.)

Nevermind Trent Hunter's individual accomplishments, those are merely an aside when it comes to things such as Rookie of the Year (Calder) honors.
Obviously they pale in comparison to the Pat Lafontaine Trophy.

...or were we trying to play for the chance at the Stanley Cup...I forget after having read this.

Regardless of the motives, the author's poor attempts at ESPN Power Ranking humor won't be landing her a job writing for Sportscenter any time soon.

Well that's just my take on it...
Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 03-01-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old
03-01-2004, 08:18 AM
blitzkriegs

National TV games usually spell disaster for NYI.

The only game on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC that I can recall them winning was vs. CAR at the end of last season when Peca, Yashin, Parrish were all rested.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:42 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
National TV games usually spell disaster for NYI.

The only game on ESPN, ESPN2, ABC that I can recall them winning was vs. CAR at the end of last season when Peca, Yashin, Parrish were all rested.
And they had to be outshot 25-1 in that game by Carolina before squeaking out a 2-1 win.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:33 AM
Moosie

Sherry Ross

Sherry Ross is the female Jim Rome. I don't know whether that is her idea or the newspaper's. I've read other less than factual columns she has written. I think it's just an angle, a female who is as obnoxious as Rome. That's a poor aspiration if you ask me.

Closed Thread