HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Henri Richard Happy Birthday

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 10:24 AM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Henri Richard Happy Birthday

First off, I apologize for starting a thread not dealing with Koivu/Ribeiro. I must not be a true fan. This morning's Gazette had a fine article about Henri Richard by John Meagher who has written a series of articles this yera about former players.

For those old enough to have seen Henri play, I'm sure that they can agree that watching him was one of the true pleasures of being a hockey fan. Peopel will most often point to his game tying and winning goals in the 71 final as his signature moment but he had a career full of them. I remember him as among the toughest,fiercest, competitor ever to play the game. He nevertook a night off, never a shift off. This attitude was on the ice, as apparently he is very quiet and soft spoken off of it. A true leader by example.

The picture I have of him, is of him breaking down the left side, holding off a defender with one arm looking for someone to pass to. They didn't keep +/- then but his must have been impressive as it seemed he always had the puck. Among the smallest palyers in the league he had dropped the gloves with the biggest and toughest, Boston's Fern Flaman in the 50's, and Vic Hadfield and Eddie Shack in the 60's. If there was ever a warrior on the ice it was Henri Richard. I don't know who you'd compare him to in today's game, maybe a little bit of Gilmour. Games against Toronto always had a great matchup with Dave Keon. Keon was very similar in terms of talent though he didn't have Richard's temperment. Just making the league with the reputation his brother had was an accomplishment.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:27 AM
felixd

Happy Birthday!

Old
02-29-2004, 02:32 PM
habitual_hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
First off, I apologize for starting a thread not dealing with Koivu/Ribeiro. I must not be a true fan. This morning's Gazette had a fine article about Henri Richard by John Meagher who has written a series of articles this yera about former players.

For those old enough to have seen Henri play, I'm sure that they can agree that watching him was one of the true pleasures of being a hockey fan. Peopel will most often point to his game tying and winning goals in the 71 final as his signature moment but he had a career full of them. I remember him as among the toughest,fiercest, competitor ever to play the game. He nevertook a night off, never a shift off. This attitude was on the ice, as apparently he is very quiet and soft spoken off of it. A true leader by example.

The picture I have of him, is of him breaking down the left side, holding off a defender with one arm looking for someone to pass to. They didn't keep +/- then but his must have been impressive as it seemed he always had the puck. Among the smallest palyers in the league he had dropped the gloves with the biggest and toughest, Boston's Fern Flaman in the 50's, and Vic Hadfield and Eddie Shack in the 60's. If there was ever a warrior on the ice it was Henri Richard. I don't know who you'd compare him to in today's game, maybe a little bit of Gilmour. Games against Toronto always had a great matchup with Dave Keon. Keon was very similar in terms of talent though he didn't have Richard's temperment. Just making the league with the reputation his brother had was an accomplishment.
He was a giant. The Gilmour comparison is valid but I think Dickie Moore summed it up best when he said, " Henri Richard might have been the toughest competitor I played with."

Old
02-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Howie Morenz

Happy Bday to the Pocket Rocket.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:46 PM
RE-HABS

Happy Birthday to an Montreal Canadien Great and a true Legend of the game!

Old
02-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Happy Birthday to an Montreal Canadien Great and a true Legend of the game!
it must feel weird to have a birthday on this day. if you only aged one year for every 4 though, you would propably like it after you reach 30.

Closed Thread