HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Columbus/Ottawa

Old
11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

vCash: 500
Columbus/Ottawa

Columbus gets -Jason Spezza

Ottawa gets- Pascal Leclaire, Christian Backman,2nd round pick.

Columbus does this to get their #1 center.

Ottawa does this to get a good goaltender who is still young.

Whaley Klesla 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Nope. Ottawa simply can't trade Jason Spezza. Think of who our first line centre would be.

Fisher? People argue he's barely a second-liner.
Kelly? Not even close.
Vermette? Best option yet, but his head and hands have yet to catch up to his feet.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Asquaredx2

Not even remotely close. To think you could not only make a proposal for Spezza not involving Nash, but also not involving Brassard, Filatov or Voracek.

Forget it.

Oh, and Auld is top-4 in the league in both GAA and SV%.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

yeah you are right, a goalie who led the league in shutouts last year with terrible defense ahead of him isnt worth much..

And Alex Auld isnt very good, itll soon catch up to him.

Old
11-04-2008, 10:30 PM
BrindamoursNose

Trade isn't that close. I'm sorry, I understand how good Leclaire can be, but Spezza's worth more than this...

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

What if it was Leclaire,Russell, and a 2nd? Russell being a young dman, with some saying he could turn into a Neidamayer type player

Old
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaley Klesla 97 View Post
What if it was Leclaire,Russell, and a 2nd? Russell being a young dman, with some saying he could turn into a Neidamayer type player
Ottawa cannot trade Spezza.

And Russell will not be a Niedermayer-type player.

Old
11-04-2008, 10:40 PM
Kamina
Amok

vCash: 50
Hahahahahaha, 100 pt centers that can play a good all-around game that have yet to reach their prime are worth twice that package at least.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

I feel you are severely over valuing Spezza. he has benefited over the last couple years being on a line with Alfredson and Heatley. Dont get me wrong I know he is good, but you act like he is in the Crosby class. Leclaire is a great young goaltender, and to Ottawa who needs a long term solution at goalie, and to also pick up a promising defenseman who is 21 and also a 2nd round pick, which could be in the upper part of the 2nd round. Im not saying ottawa would be dumb not to do this deal, but its a lot more reasonable than people are making it to be.

Old
11-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Ellipson

Quote:
I feel you are severely over valuing Spezza. he has benefited over the last couple years being on a line with Alfredson and Heatley. Dont get me wrong I know he is good, but you act like he is in the Crosby class. Leclaire is a great young goaltender, and to Ottawa who needs a long term solution at goalie, and to also pick up a promising defenseman who is 21 and also a 2nd round pick, which could be in the upper part of the 2nd round. Im not saying ottawa would be dumb not to do this deal, but its a lot more reasonable than people are making it to be.
Not really. As a Columbus supporter (when they aren't playing the Avs!), you are reaching.

Columbus Gives:

Leclaire
Filatov
Backman/Russel/Another Dman
1st Round pick

And I still don't think Spezza gets moved. Value is starting look better, though.

I do this deal from Columbus's perspective because Leclaire has not proven he can play a full season, our D-core is not good but losing one of those won't hurt it, and Filatov/1st round is what you have to give up for a 100pt center. Period.

The sticking point is that after this trade, Columbus is in the Tavares/Hedman sweepstakes. So give Columbus an option for 2009/2010, and I think this might fly.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

@^ That, in my opinion, is fantastic value, but it doesn't change the fact that Ottawa would be completely depleted down the middle.

Quote:
I feel you are severely over valuing Spezza. he has benefited over the last couple years being on a line with Alfredson and Heatley.
Wow. We've never heard that one before.

Guys, we've all been wrong! Spezza's no good!

Old
11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Comely

vCash: 384
Quote:
Its not terrible but you are offering a bunch of things that the sens don't nescasarily need right now, Auld is playing great, Backman is too simular to what we already have. Where as you are asking us for something we need to keep, a bonified top 10 centre. Now Spezza isn't Crosby or Malkin but is still worth more then this.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
Ellipson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLeprechaun View Post
@^ That, in my opinion, is fantastic value, but it doesn't change the fact that Ottawa would be completely depleted down the middle.
Give something to get something. Ultimately I agree, and I don't think Ottawa does this, but you would have to look long and hard at missing a chance at Filatov and the top prospect in 2009 or 2010.

Something about compromises and trades; if both teams are kicking and screaming about giving something up to get something fantastic... you probably have something there.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLeprechaun View Post

Wow. We've never heard that one before.

Guys, we've all been wrong! Spezza's no good!
If you are going to quote me man, atleast quote the whole thing. The very next line says dont get me wrong , I know he is good.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:12 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Stepping away from the value argument...

Columbus can't trade Leclaire. Not yet, at least.

Yes, he is injury prone. But he is far better than Norrena, while LaCosta and Mason have faced a combined 15 shots in the NHL, if I recall correctly.

The CBJ's playoff hopes are debatable anyway, but I will guarantee you that if they hitch their wagon to Norrena, even if they could add Spezza (which they can't), this team is not making the playoffs.

They are going to have to live and die with Glasscal Leclaire until they know what they have in Steve Mason, who could be a goalie god or not-ready-for-primetime.

They have two talented goalies (Leclaire and Mason), but both have enough questions that the CBJ can't yet afford to get rid of one and decide to ride the other.

Columbus is stuck for the time being.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Ellipson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
Stepping away from the value argument...

Columbus can't trade Leclaire. Not yet, at least.

Yes, he is injury prone. But he is far better than Norrena, while LaCosta and Mason have faced a combined 15 shots in the NHL, if I recall correctly.

The CBJ's playoff hopes are debatable anyway, but I will guarantee you that if they hitch their wagon to Norrena, even if they could add Spezza (which they can't), this team is not making the playoffs.

They are going to have to live and die with Glasscal Leclaire until they know what they have in Steve Mason, who could be a goalie god or not-ready-for-primetime.

They have two talented goalies (Leclaire and Mason), but both have enough questions that the CBJ can't yet afford to get rid of one and decide to ride the other.

Columbus is stuck for the time being.
If Columbus's playoff hopes are questionable, then Colorado has average goaltending. This does not look like a playoff team, top to bottom.

If I was Howson (Disclaimer: I am not a GM and I never will be), I sell Leclaire++ while value is high for a star player (Center if at all possible), end up in the Hedman/Tavares sweepstakes, and see what Mason and the rest of the young Jackets can do next year.

I also look at getting at least a #2 Defense because honestly, I don't see one on the roster. Klesla/Hejda is the closest IMO, and they are #3/4 on most teams. The Commodore signing was just brutal from the start, but was just as much a product of nobody wanting to come to Columbus than anything else.

Unfortunately, this is all moot because this franchise is in win now mode. If they don't, the attendance will fall to worst in the league and management will get cleaned out. I don't think the team will get moved because of the family ties, but I could be wrong.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:26 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

I believe the Jackets have a chance to make the playoffs. They have outplayed most teams in every game, and just cant get any breaks. 2 games back we had 51 shots on net and lost in a SO to Chicago and last game we got bit by the Frederick Norrena is horrible bug in OT on the island.

We are finally healthy btw. And most of our new acquisitions are finally beginning to click. Umberger 3 goals in the last 2 games.

We Will be in the playoffs. you heard it here first.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:30 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipson View Post
If Columbus's playoff hopes are questionable, then Colorado has average goaltending. This does not look like a playoff team, top to bottom.

If I was Howson (Disclaimer: I am not a GM and I never will be), I sell Leclaire++ while value is high for a star player (Center if at all possible), end up in the Hedman/Tavares sweepstakes, and see what Mason and the rest of the young Jackets can do next year.

I also look at getting at least a #2 Defense because honestly, I don't see one on the roster. Klesla/Hejda is the closest IMO, and they are #3/4 on most teams. The Commodore signing was just brutal from the start, but was just as much a product of nobody wanting to come to Columbus than anything else.

Unfortunately, this is all moot because this franchise is in win now mode. If they don't, the attendance will fall to worst in the league and management will get cleaned out. I don't think the team will get moved because of the family ties, but I could be wrong.
It would be a gigantic gamble to trade Leclaire without knowing if Mason is ready and how ready he is. Few goalies jump right into the the pros (3 AHL games for Mason so far, that's it) and carry their team to the playoffs ... and that's exactly what Columbus would need from him.

I think we all have high hopes for the kid, but I think it is far too soon to talk about trading Leclaire. If Mason proves to be capable, then that position could change, heck, maybe that will occur this season.

But it hasn't occurred yet.

Playing for Tavares/Hedman is the absolute worst strategy that could be pitched to the victory-starved fans of Columbus.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:33 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
I believe the Jackets have a chance to make the playoffs. They have outplayed most teams in every game, and just cant get any breaks. 2 games back we had 51 shots on net and lost in a SO to Chicago and last game we got bit by the Frederick Norrena is horrible bug in OT on the island.

We are finally healthy btw. And most of our new acquisitions are finally beginning to click. Umberger 3 goals in the last 2 games.

We Will be in the playoffs. you heard it here first.
The Jackets play with no margin of error. They get done in by the breaks because they're not good enough to survive the horrible calls or the mental lapses.

Making their goaltender situation even more questionable at this point only shrinks that margin of error all the more.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:34 PM
ClubSandwiches

Filling a hole in goal tending would be great, but not ahead of our depth at center, which would cripple an already potent but thin offense. I can't even create a counter proposal that wouldn't be lopsided in the Sens favor or something I'd be happy with otherwise, however I will say LeClaire is a terrific goal tender and I'd love him on the Sens.

ClubSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:39 PM
SpezDispenser

Can't do it.

I'd think about a Nash for Spezza swap though. Have to rely on Vermette or Fisher being his center though...but if you have a line where the wingers are Heatley and Nash...I think you can make do.

Otherwise, nothing in Columbus interests me.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Hale The Villain

Spezza is only good because of Heatley and Alfredsson
Heatley is only good because of Alfredsson and Spezza
Alfredsson is only good because of Spezza and Heatley

It would take Leclaire, Filatov/Voracek/Brassard and a 1st not in 2009 + maybe even more

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Dionysus

Voracek, Brassard, and a 2009 1st for Spezza and then Ottawa might bite.

Dionysus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Whaley Klesla 97

haha, no thanks then.

Old
11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaterhassasin View Post
Voracek, Brassard, and a 2009 1st for Spezza and then Ottawa might bite.
Ottawa might bite because we want to win now but the value is cleary swinging our way here

Voracek and Brassard will both be huge studs and that 09 pick could be top 5, it would look like the Yashin deal that got us Spezza and Chara except probably better because it could get us three 80 point scorers for one 90-100 point scorer

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote