HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Strachan to sue Burke?

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Savage

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
Strachan to sue Burke?

Watching Leafs TV's "The Reporters" and former Strachan boss and owner of the Globe and Mail (Name missing but I'll continue to watch and write it down here in a second) thinks Strachan may have grounds for a law suit against Brian Burke and may go forward with it. Naturally because it's a round table of media they all agree with Strachan and Burke is in the wrong...

The greatest quote during this "In the defence of Al Strachan he's been right more then he's been wrong"

Old
02-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If you publish lies and claim the free speech right...........then why can't Burke publicly say they are lies and refuse to do interviews with you? There doesn't seem to be any grounds for a law suit here, other than a man's wounded pride.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
If you publish lies and claim the free speech right...........then why can't Burke publicly say they are lies and refuse to do interviews with you? There doesn't seem to be any grounds for a law suit here, other than a man's wounded pride.
I also see things the same way.

BTW great avatar. Gotta love Ash !

I got the Army of Darkness DVD boxed set. There's the director's cut in it and the movie last 20 minutes more and there's an alternate ending. Pretty cool stuff !

Old
02-29-2004, 11:09 AM
The Pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Watching Leafs TV's "The Reporters" and former Strachan boss and owner of the Globe and Mail (Name missing but I'll continue to watch and write it down here in a second) thinks Strachan may have grounds for a law suit against Brian Burke and may go forward with it. Naturally because it's a round table of media they all agree with Strachan and Burke is in the wrong...

The greatest quote during this "In the defence of Al Strachan he's been right more then he's been wrong"

Yeah, that would do wonders for Dumb Al's career. Sue an NHL GM. Yeah he would be welcome in every NHL dressing room. Yup, that would be real smart.

I kinda wish he would try, after the NHL got done blackballing him, he would never be allowed in a dressing room, I am sure that HNIC would be pressured to not have him on TV anymore. Yup, it would be a smart career move.

Strachs has got to learn to keep his yap shut if he is purely speculating, or atleast say he is speculating.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
I got the Army of Darkness DVD boxed set. There's the director's cut in it and the movie last 20 minutes more and there's an alternate ending. Pretty cool stuff !
I may need to check that out !

Old
02-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Lowetide

This would be terrific. Burke's lawyer could call as his first witness the guy from New Jersey who had to endure a racially insensitive tirade from Mr. Stachan.

Strachan has just about cornered stupid.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Savage

I couldn't catch the guys name but hopefully someone else was watching and knows it.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:25 AM
Mizral

Sueing a Harvard Law School Grad (Burke is)?

Good luck, Strachs. You're gonna need it!

Old
02-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Coffey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Sueing a Harvard Law School Grad (Burke is)?

Good luck, Strachs. You're gonna need it!

Don't know if it's Harvard but I'm pretty sure it's a well known university.

I really don't see how Strachan can sue Burke.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Savage

This was posted on another hockey board I visit and seems to make the most sense as to what the law suit would fall under.

Quote:
No, your absoulutely right, it could go ethier way. And I also don't think anything will come out of this. However what I am saying that under section 298 (1) of the Criminal code of Canada, Burke has commited "Defamtory libel" Meaning he Published, (published meaning; (a) Spoken publicly, ( B ) Causes it to be read or seen or, Shows or delivers it.) material pertaining to Strachans reputaion.

Defamatory libel, is defined as, Matter published, that is likely to injure the reputation of any person by exposing him to hate,contempt or ridicule, or that is designed to insult the person of or concerning whom it is published.

Now with that being said, I'm not saying "Go for it!" Because it works both ways, it could also be said Strachen committed the same thing with his "fales imformation" about Burke asking for 2 million. So neither side has anywhere to go with this really.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:56 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Don't know if it's Harvard but I'm pretty sure it's a well known university.

I really don't see how Strachan can sue Burke.
Burke did graduate from Harvard Law school and he teaches at UBC a bit in the offseason. I doubt he would put himself in a posistion to sue.

Strachan is an idiot and everybody knows that he just makes stuff up, isn't what Burke said "free speech?"

Old
02-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50 Mission Cap
This is my boom stick!!!
Unlike Strach who gets up in front of people and whips out his "dumb stick". Sued? Whatever. When the information media move into the realm of the entertainment media... foolishness will follow.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:29 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Hey Tony Gallagher of the Vancouver Province could join in and make it a class action......

Old
02-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Hart_House_Ca

ah ha.. burke getting sued.. now that's funny. Serves him right for mouthing off to a toronto man.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
ah ha.. burke getting sued.. now that's funny. Serves him right for mouthing off to a toronto man.
Yep, scaaaary for Burke.
Thing that you should recognize, anyone can file a lawsuit for anything they want. Its really only useful if you win it though.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Not really. People also like to sue for the fear factor , the hassle and for the apoligy.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Everyone has the right to sue. What's the problem?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Everyone has the right to sue. What's the problem?
Its no problem. You just seem to imply that it means something & it doesnt.
BTW, what the heck does Strachan been from T.O have to do with this from your point of view anyways? Is Strachan some sort of official representive of T.O.or something?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Hart_House_Ca

You seem to be implying something i'm not implying?

Please tell me what i'm implying that you are implying??? huh?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
You seem to be implying something i'm not implying?

Please tell me what i'm implying that you are implying??? huh?
"
"Serves him right ". to me suggests that you actually think that it actually has some sort of detrmintal effect on Burke, if the duufus actually files a lawsuit, which of course it does not.
And again, what does Strachan being from Toronto have to do with anything?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:40 PM
asavage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
This was posted on another hockey board I visit and seems to make the most sense as to what the law suit would fall under.
It is only libel if it is wrong though.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
"
"Serves him right ". to me suggests that you actually think that it actually has some sort of detrmintal effect on Burke, if the duufus actually files a lawsuit, which of course it does not.
And again, what does Strachan being from Toronto have to do with anything?

Where and when did I suggest it had some sort of detrimental effect? Who can possibly know whether or not this has an effect on burke? What i was implying what that he put himself in a situation to be sued. That was it.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Where and when did I suggest it had some sort of detrimental effect? Who can possibly know whether or not this has an effect on burke? What i was implying what that he put himself in a situation to be sued. That was it.
Whatever. Serves him right to me implies that filing a lawsuit would somehow punish Burke.
I ask again, what does the weasel being from Toronto have to do with anything (ie. why even say it )?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Hart_House_Ca

lol.

let me let you in on some news. Getting sued isn't a form of reward ok. It may not be a punishment in your eyes.. but its definitely not a reward.. and NOT something people look forward to receiving.

As mentioned earlier.. as to wy people sue: "Not really. People also like to sue for the fear factor, the hassle and for the apoligy." add credibility...

Old
02-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yeah, I'm sure Strachan is going to strike fear into Burke, a Harvard-educated lawyer.

Closed Thread