HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Strachan to sue Burke?

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Hart_House_Ca

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Yeah, I'm sure Strachan is going to strike fear into Burke, a Harvard-educated lawyer.

For your information. Burke didn't go to harvard.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_House_Ca
ah ha.. burke getting sued.. now that's funny. Serves him right for mouthing off to a toronto man.
So Burke is wrong on this because he insulted a "toronto man" ?

I guess if Burke sends your "Toronto Man" an "apoligy" everything will be ok.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
For your information, Burke did go to Harvard.

"On June 2, 1987, Quinn hired Harvard Law grad Brian Burke to be the Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations. "

SOURCE: http://www.canucksalmanac.hispeed.co...y/1987-88.html

Did you get your information from Al Strachan, "toronto man" ?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:16 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Yes ... he did ...

http://www.canucks.com/subpage.asp?sectionID=184

Burke was born in New England, but was raised in Minnesota. He received his Bachelor of Arts in History from Providence College in 1977. He signed professionally with the Philadelphia Flyers that spring, and played for the Flyers’ American Hockey League farm team, the Maine Mariners, during the 1977-78 season. The Mariners won the Calder Cup Championship that season. Burke returned to Harvard Law School, graduating in 1981. He practiced law for six years in Boston, specializing in the representation of professional hockey players, before joining the Canucks in 1987.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
This should be good.
Again though I ask, what does where weasel lives have to do with this topic?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:20 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
Yes ... he did ...

http://www.canucks.com/subpage.asp?sectionID=184

Burke was born in New England, but was raised in Minnesota. He received his Bachelor of Arts in History from Providence College in 1977. He signed professionally with the Philadelphia Flyers that spring, and played for the Flyers’ American Hockey League farm team, the Maine Mariners, during the 1977-78 season. The Mariners won the Calder Cup Championship that season. Burke returned to Harvard Law School, graduating in 1981. He practiced law for six years in Boston, specializing in the representation of professional hockey players, before joining the Canucks in 1987.

1981 law vs 2004 law .. now that's something to be scared of. He hasn't practice law in almost 2 decades.. I dont' even think his harvard law ... holds any water in Canada.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:22 PM
Hart_House_Ca

When people sue you, they actually get their lawyers to sue you. I highly doubt burke is going to defend himself in Canada. He's not a recognize lawyer in canada.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:23 PM
BlueBlood17

The views of Hart_House_Ca in this matter are solely his own (and he has every right to express them), and shall not represent the general opinions of the Toronto Maple Leafs and their fans, or Torntonians in general.

As for Strachan, the majority in this city hate him and his ridiculous articles. The only reason he is in the Toronto Sun is because he pisses off Leafs fans with his anti-Leaf dribble, but in turn generates conversation and arguments. No matter what they do, he will find a way to criticze them, and people will still read it.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:25 PM
maruk14

Quote:
1981 law vs 2004 law .. now that's something to be scared of. He hasn't practice law in almost 2 decades.. I dont' even think his harvard law ... holds any water in Canada.
Not the point ... the point is you posted this ... For your information. Burke didn't go to harvard. ... and in 2 quick posts you were proven utterly wrong. And then, to give yourself even more credibility, instead of coming on and admitting the mistake you post that ..

Al ... is that you?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
You've completely missed the point. good job. The point is Burke is a lawyer (or at the least, a former lawyer), and he knows a thing or two about the law and what not. Your logic is also incredibly faultly, because the fundementals of law don't change, and in appellate court the decisons made in the past (say, oh, 1981) have an impact on the decisons made today.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:29 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
Not the point ... the point is you posted this ... For your information. Burke didn't go to harvard. ... and in 2 quick posts you were proven utterly wrong. And then, to give yourself even more credibility, instead of coming on and admitting the mistake you post that ..

Al ... is that you?
Well to get back to the original post.. someone used the fact that burke is a harvard laywer living in canada should be something strachan should fear. lol.

American law vs Canadian law .. two very different things. So that holds no water whatsoever. The fact that someone went to law school, is something to be feared? I don't think so.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:30 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
He also lectures Law once in a while at the University of British Columbia.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Millions of people give lectures. Big deal. Anyone can talk about theory. Lets see it in practice.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:35 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Millions of people give lectures. Big deal. Anyone can talk about theory. Lets see it in practice.
You want to see it in practice? There is this process in professional sports called "NEGOTIATIONS" and "CONTRACTS."
Perhaps you have heard of it?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:36 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Well to get back to the original post.. someone used the fact that burke is a harvard laywer living in canada should be something strachan should fear. lol.

American law vs Canadian law .. two very different things. So that holds no water whatsoever. The fact that someone went to law school, is something to be feared? I don't think so.

First of all ...thanks Reign for posting that so I don't have too.

HHC, Do you still think Burke doesn't know a thing about Canadian Law? ... you are starting to run out of options for your baseless argument.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
You want to see it in practice? There is this process in professional sports called "NEGOTIATIONS."
Perhaps you have heard of it?
Negoations of contracts has absoluetly nothing to do with defending yourself of defamation of character that has been video taped and recorded on national televison. While al strachan lawyer is suggesting he has enough grounds to sue burke.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
While al strachan lawyer is suggesting he has enough grounds to sue burke.
Link please.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:41 PM
maruk14

Quote:
And you think Burke would argue his own case? I would say with the knows a few good lawyers don't ya think?

And this whole process started when the argument was presented that Burke would know better than to libel himself on national TV because he was a lawyer. After discovering all these new facts about Burke and his background I would say he knew what he was doing.

Oh well, back to my Sunday .. your credibility is pretty much shot with me, and I would say I am probably not alone. Enough time has been wasted. It's been fun seeing you make an ass out of yourself. Thanks for the entertainment.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:07 PM
ArtG

Quote:
Negoations of contracts has absoluetly nothing to do with defending yourself of defamation of character that has been video taped and recorded on national televison. While al strachan lawyer is suggesting he has enough grounds to sue burke.
Maybe you should work on your grammar before you start preaching about law.

Last edited by ArtG: 02-29-2004 at 05:22 PM.
Old
02-29-2004, 07:36 PM
PecaFan

Didn't we learn from Spiderman?

Slander is spoken, libel is printed.

Old
02-29-2004, 07:55 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pucks
Yeah, that would do wonders for Dumb Al's career. Sue an NHL GM. Yeah he would be welcome in every NHL dressing room. Yup, that would be real smart.

I kinda wish he would try, after the NHL got done blackballing him, he would never be allowed in a dressing room, I am sure that HNIC would be pressured to not have him on TV anymore. Yup, it would be a smart career move.

Strachs has got to learn to keep his yap shut if he is purely speculating, or atleast say he is speculating.

I also really hope that Strachan does sue...and get him off the TV and even off of Toronto Sun...permenantly.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:53 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Everyone has the right to sue. What's the problem?
If you trawl through enough of Strachan columns you'll probably find something Burke can use to counter sue. Good luck to Strachan because he's gonna get done like a dinner.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Sotnos

Well, now that I've deleted an entire page's worth of off-topic posts and personal attacks, let's see if this can get back on track.

Old
02-29-2004, 08:55 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
You've completely missed the point. good job. The point is Burke is a lawyer (or at the least, a former lawyer), and he knows a thing or two about the law and what not. Your logic is also incredibly faultly, because the fundementals of law don't change, and in appellate court the decisons made in the past (say, oh, 1981) have an impact on the decisons made today.

If it was a preprepared attack then sure he's not going to make a mistake, but that might not be enough in the heat of the moment.

Old
02-29-2004, 09:00 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Burke should issue the following "I would like appologise to Strachan and I mean that with all the accuracy of an Al Strachan article."

Strachan know how accurately his articles are regarded and knows Burke's appology is a fake but can't do anything about it without exposing himself, and if he does expose himself then he would owe Burke an appology. Meanwhile the rest of us get to laugh at Strachan being caught in his own net of "accuracies".

Closed Thread