HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL to Kansas City?

Old
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Neill99

vCash: 500
AHL to Kansas City?

Can anybody please tell if the AHL is going to Kansas City Mo anytime soon or if a team is moving there?.

Neill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

There are no announced plans of putting an AHL team in KC. Relocation is always a possibility, but nothing has come out recently to suggest that there is even an ownership looking to put a team in KC.

Right now, there is one franchise that isn't active (Edmonton's), but it largely held tha they will either sell outright to Dallas so they can put a team near Austin, TX or a shuffling of franchises (but not locations) that will accomplish the same thing.

So the short answer to your question is no, there are plans for an AHL team to move to KC anytime soon.

11-05-2008, 02:46 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neill99 View Post
Can anybody please tell if the AHL is going to Kansas City Mo anytime soon or if a team is moving there?.
doesn't appear the NHL ISN'T EITHER in this economic time, sorry

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
mfrerkes

I wonder how enthusiastically a "major league" market like Kansas City would embrace minor-league hockey, especially when KC was floated around as a possible NHL location.

If you look at places like Milwaukee, Houston, San Antonio, and Charlotte...you can see that none of those cities are exactly beating down the arena door to watch minor league hockey. Perhaps it's because all four of those cities are dominated by the NBA franchise which play in their market. Since Kansas City does not have NBA competition, perhaps a minor league hockey team would fare better amongst the locals.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
If you look at places like Milwaukee, Houston, San Antonio, and Charlotte...you can see that none of those cities are exactly beating down the arena door to watch minor league hockey. Perhaps it's because all four of those cities are dominated by the NBA franchise which play in their market. Since Kansas City does not have NBA competition, perhaps a minor league hockey team would fare better amongst the locals.
I think Houston and Milwaukee are curious choices to point out as "cities are exactly beating down the arena door to watch minor league hockey." The last three years, Houston has been in the Top 10 in AHL attendance. Milwaukee has been above the AHL average 2 out of the last three years.

I won't argue with San Antonio, but that could be more due to the fact that the team has been bad for a long time.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 09:27 PM
PIMking

I also think the Ads have a deal for the bradley center so they dont pay rent on sunday thru thursday games. I went there last year and didnt like it to much. I love the city of milwaukee I have family there but that arena isnt a hockey arena.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:47 AM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
The last three years, Houston has been in the Top 10 in AHL attendance. Milwaukee has been above the AHL average 2 out of the last three years.
I'm not saying those cities are having poor attendance. However, when you look at the population of Houston or Milwaukee then compare it to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton or Hershey, there is no comparison. The per-capita AHL support in WBS blows Houston right out of the water.

For being large metropolitan areas having what should be a significant fan base, The Aeros and the Ads are under-performing in their respective markets. My guess is that Kansas City would experience a similar phenomena.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:39 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
I'm not saying those cities are having poor attendance. However, when you look at the population of Houston or Milwaukee then compare it to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton or Hershey, there is no comparison. The per-capita AHL support in WBS blows Houston right out of the water.

For being large metropolitan areas having what should be a significant fan base, The Aeros and the Ads are under-performing in their respective markets. My guess is that Kansas City would experience a similar phenomena.
I think that depends on how "hungry" the hockey fans in KC are. If they really want a professional hockey team, then an AHL team will draw. If they only want a major league team, then they won't.

Either way, I don't see the AHL going to KC.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:

I guess that is one way to look at it. I look at it differently. There are far more entertainment options in a major city than there are in smaller cities. One of those you mentioned was the NBA. Other you can consider are the theater, musemums, restaurants, etc. of which there are more options in major cities than there are in smaller cities. The entertainment dollars in larger cities are more spread out than in smaller cities.

Are there more people in Houston and Milwaukee than say WBS? Sure. But there are also more entertainment options in Houston and Milwaukee than WBS. I don't think you can simply say that per capita, Houston and Milwaukee are struggling. If you really want to analyze it fairly, you have to consider ALL the entertainment options and see what percentage they are drawing.

Old
11-06-2008, 11:43 AM
axecrew

To add my 2 cents.....Kansas City has already lost 3 pro hockey teams. The Scouts in the NHL and the Blades in the IHL and Mechanics in the UHL. I would doubt anyone is lining up to put a team there. But I did hear last year from a scout w/ Columbus that the NHL was investigating putting an expansion team in KC along with LV,if they decided to expand the league. Take it for what it's worth.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
How?

the bylaws state that to even be considered, even when we acquired the Rosemont Wolves(refuse to acknowledge the Wolves as Chicago; considering the Hawks existence), the Aeros, the Admirals, the Moose, the Griffins, and we already knew that Utah (LE) was the 6th franchise acquired back 7 years ago now, there is a requirement for an NHL partner and then if Texas is on target for 09, KC needs a relocation byan NHL partner (most are private owners or partnerships and existing leases, if the group trying to interest a franchise to locate in the Sprint Center, if no one buys into that, why would it make sense to place a minor league team, if other leagues have failed abysmally. Remember Cincinnati at the end of their existence before the Robinsons sold to Centre Events to become Rockford.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:06 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
How?

the bylaws state that to even be considered, even when we acquired the Rosemont Wolves(refuse to acknowledge the Wolves as Chicago; considering the Hawks existence), the Aeros, the Admirals, the Moose, the Griffins, and we already knew that Utah (LE) was the 6th franchise acquired back 7 years ago now, there is a requirement for an NHL partner and then if Texas is on target for 09, KC needs a relocation byan NHL partner (most are private owners or partnerships and existing leases, if the group trying to interest a franchise to locate in the Sprint Center, if no one buys into that, why would it make sense to place a minor league team, if other leagues have failed abysmally. Remember Cincinnati at the end of their existence before the Robinsons sold to Centre Events to become Rockford.
Would you at least have the common sense( I know foreign term for you) to tell us who you are responding to?

BTW....anyone know who the Hackensack Giants or the Hoboken Jets play this weekend?
I also heard a rumor that the Orange County Angels were interested in Manny.....made my point hutch???

Old
11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
How?

the bylaws state that to even be considered, even when we acquired the Rosemont Wolves(refuse to acknowledge the Wolves as Chicago; considering the Hawks existence), the Aeros, the Admirals, the Moose, the Griffins, and we already knew that Utah (LE) was the 6th franchise acquired back 7 years ago now, there is a requirement for an NHL partner and then if Texas is on target for 09, KC needs a relocation by an NHL partner (most are private owners or partnerships and existing leases, if the group trying to interest a franchise to locate in the Sprint Center, if no one buys into that, why would it make sense to place a minor league team, if other leagues have failed abysmally. Remember Cincinnati at the end of their existence before the Robinsons sold to Centre Events to become Rockford.
First off, the the AHL team does not need an NHL partner to enter the AHL, they need and NHL affiliation. As HISTORY has shown us, pretty much any team can sell their AHL license at any time to anyone and that any team can be moved. The question is always the same - how much is it going to cost me to do that.

KC is working on getting an NHL team, plain and simple as I know from someone who is working on getting the team. Time will tell.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Send a message via AIM to Seabass
I think the cost of using the new building would far outweigh the realistic gate that they could take in.

Seabass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I think the cost of using the new building would far outweigh the realistic gate that they could take in.
The building is not solely for hockey. They have concerts, conventions, etc. in it as well and those bring in much more than one hockey game ever will in ANY stadium. One concert in a 21,000 seat hockey arena will bring in 22,000+ people paying typical ticket prices 3 times that of hockey. Since they own the building, the cost of running it for hockey would be minimal, just like the blackhawks. They make all their money on things like parking and concessions. Think of this, a ticket to a blackhawks games costs about $75. Parking is $30. 3 beers is about $30. Program $10. Something to eat $10-15. So they make just as much off concessions as they do from the tickets sales.

Last edited by Tommy Hawk: 11-07-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvesfan View Post
The building is not solely for hockey. They have concerts, conventions, etc. in it as well and those bring in much more than one hockey game ever will in ANY stadium. One concert in a 21,000 seat hockey arena will bring in 22,000+ people paying typical ticket prices 3 times that of hockey. Since they own the building, the cost of running it for hockey would be minimal, just like the blackhawks. They make all their money on things like parking and concessions. Think of this, a ticket to a blackhawks games costs about $75. Parking is $30. 3 beers is about $30. Program $10. Something to eat $10-15. So they make just as much off concessions as they do from the tickets sales.
Parking is $30?????

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Quote:
This is where you lost me. I recognize the fact that this is a top-notch, multi-purpose arena, but who ever would end up owning the team (which I haven't heard any possible hints towards an AHL franchise) would not own the arena, which is held by the city, correct? I'm just saying that with a brand new arena, the rent isn't going to be forgiving, concerts/wrestling/circus/bull riding or not.

Old
11-07-2008, 12:22 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Parking is $30?????
Up close to the building....yes. VIP Parking
You can park in the surrounding lots for like $20

Old
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Up close to the building....yes. VIP Parking
You can park in the surrounding lots for like $20
This doesn't surprise me. The White Sox charge $22 for any lot, even those that are 5+ blocks from the park at IIT.

Old
11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
This is where you lost me. I recognize the fact that this is a top-notch, multi-purpose arena, but who ever would end up owning the team (which I haven't heard any possible hints towards an AHL franchise) would not own the arena, which is held by the city, correct? I'm just saying that with a brand new arena, the rent isn't going to be forgiving, concerts/wrestling/circus/bull riding or not.
Well, when they were luring the Penguins, they offered no rent and a huge part of concessions.

Old
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Seabass
Onward and Upward

Quote:
Well, when they were luring the Penguins, they offered no rent and a huge part of concessions.
Yes, but that was an NHL franchise. I can't imagine the same would be said for a minor league team.

Old
11-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Frostbite Warrior

In the UHL There was a team of the Kansas City Outlaws! Remember them

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 07:36 AM
dcsfanatic

Quote:
Did they offer revenue from the non-hockey events?

Thats what it might ultimately take for them to actually lure a tenant, in which case it would become a financially losing proposition for the city.

dcsfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Did they offer revenue from the non-hockey events?

Thats what it might ultimately take for them to actually lure a tenant, in which case it would become a financially losing proposition for the city.
I'm not going to go back and look up the threads from the time, but I am nearly positive that they did offer a slice of the non-hockey revenue. That's made the deal so attractive.

Old
11-28-2008, 11:02 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
I also think the Ads have a deal for the bradley center so they dont pay rent on sunday thru thursday games. I went there last year and didnt like it to much. I love the city of milwaukee I have family there but that arena isnt a hockey arena.
The Bradley Center was designed as a hockey arena to lure the then shaky St. Louis Blues or an expansion team to Milwaukee. The Bucks also needed a new arena instead of the 11,000 seat MECCA to stay in Milwaukee. The Bucks fans still complain about the sightlines for basketball and they want a new arena to replace the BC, which opened October, 1988.

You are correct about the rent. Saturday night games cost $10K. I believe that Fridays are much less.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote