HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Re-signing Preems a top priority; Recchi to walk?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Blindside9711

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Re-signing Preems a top priority; Recchi to walk?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=74012

"Primeau, we are still trying to sign," Clarke tells the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Some teams will sign players and some won't. Somehow, we have to figure out a way to get Primeau signed."
Recently acquired Alexei Zhamnov, Mark Recchi, Sean Burke and Chris Therien will all be free to go elsewhere this summer.

I agree with trying to re-sign Primeau as the Flyers play has been sub-par without him, but letting Recchi walk? You've gotta be kidding me.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:55 AM
Dr Love

If they let Recchi walk, dear lord they can't handle the boos now... I hope "Mark Recchi" is a typo for "Mattias Timmander."

Old
02-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Blindside9711

... Or they invoke some hidden clause to make Donald Brashear a free-agent in place of Recchi.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:02 AM
FlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
I agree with trying to re-sign Primeau as the Flyers play has been sub-par without him, but letting Recchi walk? You've gotta be kidding me.
I don't think one should take from that article that Clarke intends to let Recchi, or any of those players mentioned, walk. We all know what Primeau means to the Flyers, and that is why he is Clarke's top priority. Just because he is focusing on the captian does not mean that he does not want Recchi et alii back.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
As FlyersFan said, the article didn't mention letting players walk, just that Primeau needs to be resigned. Recchi is important, but Primeau is more important, even if he doesn't put up the same numbers. He be the leader.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:36 AM
capn89*

I think both players are as equally important because of the things they do. Prims, some how, has become a defensive machine, and Rex puts up the numbers, which the team is desperately in need of.

A big ? mark is going to be Primeau's health. Do you think they resign him if the concussion symptoms persist?

Old
02-27-2004, 11:48 AM
tytech

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn89
I think both players are as equally important because of the things they do. Prims, some how, has become a defensive machine, and Rex puts up the numbers, which the team is desperately in need of.

A big ? mark is going to be Primeau's health. Do you think they resign him if the concussion symptoms persist?

YES--He'll be fine. There are some hits that knock a player out before they hit the ice (ie Lindros) then there are some that players could keep playing but are advised not to. Primeau's wasn't that bad at all in comparison. They are just being very cautious. Roenick, in last year's playoffs, got one from Tucker but kept going. If that was mid season he'd of missed a few weeks as well.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Blindside9711

I think so still. Preems doesn't have a history of head injuries like a Lindros or Roenick does. His value to the club is immeasurable by numbers. Preems plays, the team plays well. We've been a very different team with Primeau's absence.
Recchi, in my opinion, is just as important because he puts up the offensive stats consistenly as well as being a vocal leader and a good ambassador of the game to the media.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:54 AM
capn89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
YES--He'll be fine. There are some hits that knock a player out before they hit the ice (ie Lindros) then there are some that players could keep playing but are advised not to. Primeau's wasn't that bad at all in comparison. They are just being very cautious. Roenick, in last year's playoffs, got one from Tucker but kept going. If that was mid season he'd of missed a few weeks as well.
And if it was lindros he probably would have missed two years

But yeah, I guess it is better to be safe than sorry. I'd rather see Primeau healthy for a good playoff run, than come back too soon and end up with his bell rung again.

Do you think Roenick will make it back in time for the late season/playoffs?

Old
02-27-2004, 12:16 PM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
Recchinball must return next year. How could you let your leading scorer just "walk". There is no way. Rex isn't unreasonable about salary either, I think they'll be able to strike a deal. Recchi has been our best player all year long.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Recchi will be back. He is synonomys with everything it means to be a Flyer. Recchi will retire here.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Rex is our leading goal scorer..it is a non-sense to let him go! He is a good winger, with versatility, has a lot of experience...I don't understand.

Old
02-27-2004, 12:54 PM
paxtang

I don't think this article is very accurate. There was a similar one in the Philly papers a few weeks ago saying how Preems was a priority, but that they really want to resign Rex as well.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Steve L*

Clarke is being dumb again. If he doesnt want Burke then he has to make out he will be giving Burke an offer for $4.75 so Burke doesnt invoke his $4.25 option therefore Burke walks and everyone is happy.

Clarke cannot say Burke will not be here next year.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:12 PM
donelikedinner

recchi isn't going to walk. he's needed on the wing as the flyers best prospects are centers.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:51 PM
semyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=74012

"Primeau, we are still trying to sign," Clarke tells the Philadelphia Inquirer. "Some teams will sign players and some won't. Somehow, we have to figure out a way to get Primeau signed."
Recently acquired Alexei Zhamnov, Mark Recchi, Sean Burke and Chris Therien will all be free to go elsewhere this summer.

This came from Tim Panaccio. Enough said
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...ey/8051887.htm

Old
02-29-2004, 12:46 PM
Overtime

Clarke says "You can't sign any of these guys, really" in reference to the CBA because no one knows how that will play out.

But Recchi has to be a priority of his. Every line that was hot this year had Recchi a major part of it. I shudder to think where this team would be in the standings if not for Recchi.

In the 5 years Rex has been back has he been below 2nd in scoring for the team? He has earned his $5/million per year and should be given another contract. He wants to play and he wants to play here. He should retire as a Flyer. I am also sure he will agree to sign for far less than the $5 mil he has made recently. My thinking is that Clarke knows all this and feels Recchi isn't a priority right now because Recchi won't go anywhere until he knows for sure the Flyers won't sign him.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:50 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtime
Clarke says "You can't sign any of these guys, really" in reference to the CBA because no one knows how that will play out.

But Recchi has to be a priority of his. Every line that was hot this year had Recchi a major part of it. I shudder to think where this team would be in the standings if not for Recchi.

In the 5 years Rex has been back has he been below 2nd in scoring for the team? He has earned his $5/million per year and should be given another contract. He wants to play and he wants to play here. He should retire as a Flyer. I am also sure he will agree to sign for far less than the $5 mil he has made recently. My thinking is that Clarke knows all this and feels Recchi isn't a priority right now because Recchi won't go anywhere until he knows for sure the Flyers won't sign him.
You guys have to relax.

Recchi will be signed. Stop overreacting, he has plenty of time to get them signed.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:55 PM
RoDu

it all depends on when the next season is. If we miss next year, and have a 05-06 season, Burke and Recchi will be 2 years older. I want Recchi to stay, we have no young wingers to replace him yet. But with Nittymaki on the verge of the NHL, Burke is expendable.
Zhamnov, well, if there is a season next year, sign him, if not, let Carter or Richards have his spot.
Therian, I don't evan think teams over seas would take this guy

Old
02-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Reign Nateo

Recchi is coming home to BC this summer...

At least for a vacation...

Old
02-29-2004, 12:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I really don't think that Recchi wants to leave. He has been with Philly for a while, he has won his Cup, not much incentive for him to leave. We can probably get him 2 years for 7-9 mill which is pretty good for a guy that will put up around 75 points.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:59 PM
RoDu

Recchi still has a legitimate shot at leading the league in points to, he's only like a dozen points behind. All he has to do is catch fire

Old
02-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Recchi is coming home to BC this summer...

At least for a vacation...
Just like he does every summer. Do you get out to his charity golf tournament?

Old
02-29-2004, 01:06 PM
Overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Recchi still has a legitimate shot at leading the league in points to, he's only like a dozen points behind. All he has to do is catch fire
What players need to start scoring? If Hitch makes a new line including Recchi that that line is sure to catch fire. Of course that means Handzus and LeClair would go cold.

I really don't think he will take the scoring lead but he's around 10th right now and that isn't bad for a guy who was supposed to take a lesser role because he couldn't improve at his "advancing age".

Wish I was that "old" again.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:45 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I think it's alot of posturing by Clarke. Recchi wants to retire here and Clarke will want to resign him. both sides will give a little to make that happen.

Closed Thread