HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Saw SC Bern play over the weekend

Old
11-03-2008, 09:34 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
OT: Saw SC Bern play over the weekend

I was in Switzerland for business last weekend and got an invite to attend a game between the Bern Bears (who hosted the Rangers in the preseason) and their inter-canton rivals, the Langnau Tigers. They're in the middle of a CHF 100MM renovation and the arena already looks pretty spectacular.

I got to sit in the season ticket holder seats, which are great: you sit in a row of regular stadium seating (although a bit more comfortable than the Garden's) during the action - but before the game, between periods and after the game you go back into an awesome lounge/bar area with plenty of comfy seating, good food, drinks, etc. Everyone mixes around saying hi to other season ticket holders, standing at the bar, sitting at the restaurant, etc. It seems like it's a real event in Bern and "everyone who's everyone" is there. At one point, the owner came by and shook hands with the season ticketholder who was my host. (Apparently they also have corporate boxes on the next level up, which are more like the boxes at the Garden, but I didn't see those.) There are also multiple restaurants where people have dinner before and after the game.

Across from the corporate seats is the section they call "the Wall" - where something like 5,000 fans stand (that's right, it's standing room only) throughout the whole game - they beat drums, sing organized chants, etc. Before the game, they have this ritual where they unfurl a HUGE banner with the team logo and pass it up the stands until it covers the whole section. When the team scores, the announcer only says the first name of the player and the crowd responds with the last name.

The game itself was fun. Bern absolutey dominated - it was like an NHL team playing an AHL team. Bern was able to gain the zone at will and most of their goals were scored on very pretty give-and-go plays or goal mouth passes. And they did this without their best player (one Christian Dube) in the lineup due to injury. Of course, they gave up a couple of AWFUL goals late to make it close (worse even than the goals the Rangers gave up on Saturday), including one where the goalie tried to take a shot at the empty net and instead put it right on the tape of a forward standing 30 feet in front of a wide open net. Fortunately for Bern, they were up 5-1 and managed to hold on for a 5-3 win.

Other names I recognized included Philippe Furrer for Bern and, believe it or not, Jeff Toms for Langnau. The people I was with also pointed out an 18 year old kid for Bern, Roman Josi, who is an offensive defenseman who is apparently being scouted heavily for the upcoming NHL draft. He scored a very nice goal coming in from the point to take a pass and roof it while the goaltender tried to come across the crease to take away the shot. He did have one or two problems at keeping the puck in at the point, but to be fair, it was bouncing a bit.

To sum up - a great time. I highly recommend the Swiss League and SC Bern in particular.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Other names I recognized included Philippe Furrer for Bern and, believe it or not, Jeff Toms for Langnau. The people I was with also pointed out an 18 year old kid for Bern, Roman Josi, who is an offensive defenseman who is apparently being scouted heavily for the upcoming NHL draft. He scored a very nice goal coming in from the point to take a pass and roof it while the goaltender tried to come across the crease to take away the shot. He did have one or two problems at keeping the puck in at the point, but to be fair, it was bouncing a bit.

To sum up - a great time. I highly recommend the Swiss League and SC Bern in particular.

He was drafted last year, 2nd round, 38th overall by Nashville.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 09:41 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
He was drafted last year, 2nd round, 38th overall by Nashville.
Hahahaha - you know, I thought that he was a year old for the upcoming draft, but the folks I was sitting with said he hadn't yet been drafted.

Anyway, 2nd round sounds about right - he looks like he's got some serious offensive talent, pretty good wheels, but might need some work on his defensive game and his point play.

Old
11-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
oh no! not the Tominator!

I see regualarly the Geneva games. I will be seeing the game vs Davos on the 18th.
Alex Daigle still there?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Valverde

Haha, I love how all Americans/Canadians are surprised by the way Europeans support thier team. I mean, eating hamburgers, drinking beers? In Europe every fan would laugh at you, we`ve completely different supporting style, culture. Drums, standing, singing, banners, flags, scarfs - it`s very common for every country, it doesn`t matter if you`re in England, Poland, Croatia, Russia, Germany, Greece, Sweden. It goes the same way for every sport - whether it`s football, hockey, basketball, volleyball. I remember listening to Al, Sam and Joe in Bern, it was a whole new experience form them - I`m also having when they put those commercials on MSG, when Sam, Joe and the guys from Knicks say that it`s "the best atmosphere in the world". Wit all respect, it`s simply not true i`m not saying you guys aren`t passionate about hockey, Rangers, but definately fans across the Europe are simply amazing in supporting their favorite team

Valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

I was at the Rangers game in Bern and it was very quiet. The locals had not much to cheer about. Normal league i reckon is much loader, because both side go at it.

Old
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valverde View Post
Haha, I love how all Americans/Canadians are surprised by the way Europeans support thier team. I mean, eating hamburgers, drinking beers? In Europe every fan would laugh at you, we`ve completely different supporting style, culture. Drums, standing, singing, banners, flags, scarfs - it`s very common for every country, it doesn`t matter if you`re in England, Poland, Croatia, Russia, Germany, Greece, Sweden. It goes the same way for every sport - whether it`s football, hockey, basketball, volleyball. I remember listening to Al, Sam and Joe in Bern, it was a whole new experience form them - I`m also having when they put those commercials on MSG, when Sam, Joe and the guys from Knicks say that it`s "the best atmosphere in the world". Wit all respect, it`s simply not true i`m not saying you guys aren`t passionate about hockey, Rangers, but definately fans across the Europe are simply amazing in supporting their favorite team
Oh yeah maybe we can start to have those mass riots at our games like u guys have at soccer matches.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 06:13 PM
crabcz

vCash: 50
It's not even fun without at least one dead and several injured.

crabcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
I was in Switzerland for business last weekend and got an invite to attend a game between the Bern Bears (who hosted the Rangers in the preseason) and their inter-canton rivals, the Langnau Tigers. They're in the middle of a CHF 100MM renovation and the arena already looks pretty spectacular.

I got to sit in the season ticket holder seats, which are great: you sit in a row of regular stadium seating (although a bit more comfortable than the Garden's) during the action - but before the game, between periods and after the game you go back into an awesome lounge/bar area with plenty of comfy seating, good food, drinks, etc. Everyone mixes around saying hi to other season ticket holders, standing at the bar, sitting at the restaurant, etc. It seems like it's a real event in Bern and "everyone who's everyone" is there. At one point, the owner came by and shook hands with the season ticketholder who was my host. (Apparently they also have corporate boxes on the next level up, which are more like the boxes at the Garden, but I didn't see those.) There are also multiple restaurants where people have dinner before and after the game.

Across from the corporate seats is the section they call "the Wall" - where something like 5,000 fans stand (that's right, it's standing room only) throughout the whole game - they beat drums, sing organized chants, etc. Before the game, they have this ritual where they unfurl a HUGE banner with the team logo and pass it up the stands until it covers the whole section. When the team scores, the announcer only says the first name of the player and the crowd responds with the last name.

The game itself was fun. Bern absolutey dominated - it was like an NHL team playing an AHL team. Bern was able to gain the zone at will and most of their goals were scored on very pretty give-and-go plays or goal mouth passes. And they did this without their best player (one Christian Dube) in the lineup due to injury. Of course, they gave up a couple of AWFUL goals late to make it close (worse even than the goals the Rangers gave up on Saturday), including one where the goalie tried to take a shot at the empty net and instead put it right on the tape of a forward standing 30 feet in front of a wide open net. Fortunately for Bern, they were up 5-1 and managed to hold on for a 5-3 win.

Any pictures or video of the arena and the supporters?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Oh yeah maybe we can start to have those mass riots at our games like u guys have at soccer matches.
How stereotypical. You only hear about European fans when the media makes a big deal about one riot out of the hundreds of games that are played each weekend. Yet when American college kids tear up their local town after a big win or big loss no one seems to care.

Old
11-03-2008, 09:08 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
How stereotypical. You only hear about European fans when the media makes a big deal about one riot out of the hundreds of games that are played each weekend. Yet when American college kids tear up their local town after a big win or big loss no one seems to care.
I live in the biggest party city in the US when it comes to college sports or college just in general, and theres no where near riots, or cars being flipped over so settle down scooter, theres no one pointing fingers just cause its a stereotype, its cause it actually happens a lot over there and a lot less over here.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2008, 10:29 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
I live in the biggest party city in the US when it comes to college sports or college just in general, and theres no where near riots, or cars being flipped over so settle down scooter, theres no one pointing fingers just cause its a stereotype, its cause it actually happens a lot over there and a lot less over here.
Minnesota
http://media.www.sdsucollegian.com/m...s-524418.shtml

Ohio St.
http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/200...-when-osu.html

U-Mass
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/16241177/
http://deadspin.com/sports/college-f...iot-222421.php

And this one just happened 5 days ago at Penn State
http://www.bigtennetwork.com/sports/...ory_id=3175173
http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/200...ithout-a-riot/

The UK papers have noticed this as well.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/g...rt-605259.html

The NY Times touched upon this as well.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...51C1A9649C8B63

And just to stress the point even more.......
http://media.www.redandblack.com/med...-2581167.shtml
"Recent college football victories have caused fans to riot and pull down goal posts, injuring spectators and police officers.

"We're no better than the people we criticize for rioting after a soccer match," University Police Chief Chuck Horton said. "We've hit the lowest common denominator."

A lot of incidents that happen over in Europe are incited by people looking for a fight, not necessarily because 5, 000 supporters are standing and singing at a game.

Last edited by nyrmetros: 11-03-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old
11-04-2008, 06:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Sadly, no - I was absolutely kicking myself for not bringing a camera.

Old
11-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

the swiss and the bernese fans particularly won't like what I have to say, but the
Postfinance Arena is an awful barn. It has been designed in the 60's by someone who
really had no clue how to build a hockey barn.

Now it has been remodelled and it still is awful. On the upper level where the prime seating/standing should be you have the entry/exit points that means you are depriving hundreds of fans of the ideal watching spot.

The megatron is a vulgar piece of s..... For starter it has to be too high up enabling the fans in the upper half to see the ice. That means that the fans in the lower half can't see the replay. I was there - it stinks. Either the screens are too small or they are too high up. The result is crap. (see picture no 3)

the seating around the corners isn't rounded which means if you sit in the corner you are miles away from the icesheet and the action. to make matters worse the ice sheet isn't actually placed in the middle of the
arena (see pic 8, 11,)

www.postfinancearena.ch

then click on "Umbau" and then click on "bildergalerie"
check out the latest of series August 2008
you can see what I am talking about.
Check how high the infoboard is.

Having said all that. the atmosphere there is outstanding and the ice quality is what Rangers can only hope for.

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 11-04-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
stug*

How come there is no standing places in NHL?

Have there ever been?

stug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 11:36 AM
WeberStreit

Quote:
Here you go:

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 12:57 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
How come there is no standing places in NHL?

Have there ever been?
Standing room only was a HUGE part of the early original six NHL. As new arenas replaced the old, this segment was phased out.

If I'm not mistaken, Joe Louis Arena is the last one to have it.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Standing room only was a HUGE part of the early original six NHL. As new arenas replaced the old, this segment was phased out.

If I'm not mistaken, Joe Louis Arena is the last one to have it.
That must suck for you NHL fans. I mean I couldn't even imagine how much it would suck if there wouldn't be any standing room in Isomäki arena where I go to watch my team's games. I've never bought a ticket to the seat area and that's saying alot since I've attented tens of games there. All the atmosphere is always where the standig room is.

My condolenses to you

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

[QUOTE=WeberStreit;16161647]Here you go:

QUOTE]

this is what I am talking about - this has been designed by a civil servant not by an arena desinger...These huge yellow painted exits in the middle of the prime viewing
areas along the middle of the arena are preposterous. Go figure....there must be
500+ fans that could have better viewing/standing position if those were moved up towards the ceiling of the Arena.

Old
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberStreit View Post
Here you go:

That's incredible. I would trade that experience for what we have now anyday!

Old
11-05-2008, 03:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
the swiss and the bernese fans particularly won't like what I have to say, but the
Postfinance Arena is an awful barn. It has been designed in the 60's by someone who
really had no clue how to build a hockey barn.

Now it has been remodelled and it still is awful. On the upper level where the prime seating/standing should be you have the entry/exit points that means you are depriving hundreds of fans of the ideal watching spot.

The megatron is a vulgar piece of s..... For starter it has to be too high up enabling the fans in the upper half to see the ice. That means that the fans in the lower half can't see the replay. I was there - it stinks. Either the screens are too small or they are too high up. The result is crap. (see picture no 3)

the seating around the corners isn't rounded which means if you sit in the corner you are miles away from the icesheet and the action. to make matters worse the ice sheet isn't actually placed in the middle of the
arena (see pic 8, 11,)

www.postfinancearena.ch

then click on "Umbau" and then click on "bildergalerie"
check out the latest of series August 2008
you can see what I am talking about.
Check how high the infoboard is.

Having said all that. the atmosphere there is outstanding and the ice quality is what Rangers can only hope for.
Gotta say I thought it was pretty good, but then I was sitting in the primo seats. I especially liked how seats at all levels are much closer to the ice - although it does make it harder to see the jumbotron from further down as you say (but that's a tradeoff I'd take any day). And I can't say enough about the new lounge.

As for the big yellow exits, that's only by the standing room area - and as you can see, they pack 'em in pretty close around the exits (including right at the edge of the exits themselves). I have to believe that they are that size for fire code reasons: if you packed those people that close together and right up to the edge of the exits and then gave them MSG-sized gates, it would be a death trap.

Old
11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Quote:
Gotta say I thought it was pretty good, but then I was sitting in the primo seats. I especially liked how seats at all levels are much closer to the ice - although it does make it harder to see the jumbotron from further down as you say (but that's a tradeoff I'd take any day). And I can't say enough about the new lounge.

As for the big yellow exits, that's only by the standing room area - and as you can see, they pack 'em in pretty close around the exits (including right at the edge of the exits themselves). I have to believe that they are that size for fire code reasons: if you packed those people that close together and right up to the edge of the exits and then gave them MSG-sized gates, it would be a death trap.
I agree - of course they are for fire exit reasons but don't you think it is unbelievable that they put fire exits into the prime viewing area rather than a few rows higher up?