HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Carbo so stubborn ?

Old
11-08-2008, 11:03 AM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
Why is Carbo so stubborn ?

Sergei Kostitsyn reminded me something yesterday, when in a post-game interview he said "I was crashing the net and I knew my brother would pass me the puck, it's a strategy we practiced a lot."

Why does he keep on insisting of separating the two Kostitsyn brothers ? They seem to know perfectly where each other is on the ice.When they do play together, the passes they do and their strategies are marvel to see. They even stole a point out of Columbus yesterday. So, why wouldn't Carbo try that ?

Higgins - Koivu - Tanguay
Latendresse - Lang - Kovalev
Sergei Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
random fillers

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:06 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Sergei Kostitsyn reminded me something yesterday, when in a post-game interview he said "I was crashing the net and I knew my brother would pass me the puck, it's a strategy we practiced a lot."

Why does he keep on insisting of separating the two Kostitsyn brothers ? They seem to know perfectly where each other is on the ice.When they do play together, the passes they do and their strategies are marvel to see. They even stole a point out of Columbus yesterday. So, why wouldn't Carbo try that ?

Latendresse - Lang - Kovalev
Sergei Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn
random fillers
I don't know why and I won't say anything because everyone knows my distaste for Carbonneau, so I don't want to give any fuel for some of the people who bash me, to discredit my post.

However, I don't like the idea of seperating Plekanec-Kovalev.. so this is what I propose

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev
Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
S. Kostitsyn-Lang-A. Kostitsyn

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:07 AM
CPrice

I was thinking of the same lines , not sure if I like Lats- Lang- Kov thought.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:08 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I don't know why and I won't say anything because everyone knows my distaste for Carbonneau, so I don't want to give any fuel for some of the people who bash me, to discredit my post.

However, I don't like the idea of seperating Plekanec-Kovalev.. so this is what I propose

Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Lats on the first line with Kovy and Pleks.... any one wanna watch them play monkey in the middle. Lats couldn't keep up.

Last edited by habfaninvictoria: 11-08-2008 at 11:09 AM. Reason: hit wrong button
habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Beakermania*

Its easy to be stubborn when Andrei - Pleks - Kovalev was among the top lines in the entire league last year. They really didn't start lighting it up till the end of November.... I think we should give them 20-25 games to really get going.

I mean the start of the year has been tough for them... long layoffs coupled with Andrei's injury. This is a good stretch where they can actually find some consistency in their games; and its not like its hurting us at this point either... we have 18/22 points.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I understand people's reservations about Lats on the first, but, like I said in another thread.. If he's gonna be useless, he might as well be useless on a line that is more of a duo than a trio. I'd rather Lats suffer playing a complimentary game than A. Kost.

Face it, if Kovalev and Plekanec are making the plays, if Lats wanna be useful, he can hit, make space and occupy the front of the net.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:22 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:

Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
Hater !

Quote:
I understand people's reservations about Lats on the first, but, like I said in another thread.. If he's gonna be useless, he might as well be useless on a line that is more of a duo than a trio. I'd rather Lats suffer playing a complimentary game than A. Kost.

Face it, if Kovalev and Plekanec are making the plays, if Lats wanna be useful, he can hit, make space and occupy the front of the net.
true

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-08-2008 at 11:35 AM.
goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Its easy to be stubborn when Andrei - Pleks - Kovalev was among the top lines in the entire league last year. They really didn't start lighting it up till the end of November.... I think we should give them 20-25 games to really get going.

I mean the start of the year has been tough for them... long layoffs coupled with Andrei's injury. This is a good stretch where they can actually find some consistency in their games; and its not like its hurting us at this point either... we have 18/22 points.
Here, here. They were one of the best lines in the NHL last year and a huge reason as to why the Habs finished 1st. So breaking that line up would be tough to do.

If they did loose their magic and had to be broken up I'd go with these lines:

Latendresse -Plekanec - Kovalev
Sergei Kostitsyn - Lang - Andrei Kostitsyn

God, I really dislike Latendresse ( I know not for this thread) but any line he's on looks like a 3rd line!

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Kriss E

I'm more displeased with the fact that Carbo separated Markov and Kovalev on PP.
I don't understand why Kovalev is on the 2nd PP wave most nights.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:48 AM
number 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm more displeased with the fact that Carbo separated Markov and Kovalev on PP.
100% agree. Every time kovy touches the puck on the pp he's dangerous. why is he limited to 30 seconds per pp, with brisebois and georges?! I would even consider leaving kovalev on for the entire powerplay, just leave him on the right side half boards for 2 minutes.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:48 AM
CGG

Anyone know how many games Sergei and Andrei played together at a high level before they both became members of the Canadiens? I'm thinking maybe 10 or 20? Far less than the number of games Andrei has played with Pleks and Kovy. Is it just because they both have Kostitsyn on the back of their sweater that everyone thinks they have to play together?

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:49 AM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Due to the need to make both waves dangerous. I don't mean to pick on them, but having Sergei and Brisebois as the second PP D pairing doesn't inspire confidence. They need to have something to work with (in this case, the KPK line up front).

I'd imagine if the game was really down to the wire and the Canadiens had to score, Carbo would either double-shift Markov with both units or he'd put Lang - Koivu - Kovalev - Markov - Tanguay to try and generate the most pressure.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
10 games in and he should seperate one of the last years best lines? It took them more time to mesh last year.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Pascal

probably because it was one of the best lines in the NHL last yr... Just a guess I agree he should at least try it for a period of time though.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
Due to the need to make both waves dangerous. I don't mean to pick on them, but having Sergei and Brisebois as the second PP D pairing doesn't inspire confidence. They need to have something to work with (in this case, the KPK line up front).

I'd imagine if the game was really down to the wire and the Canadiens had to score, Carbo would either double-shift Markov with both units or he'd put Lang - Koivu - Kovalev - Markov - Tanguay to try and generate the most pressure.
Well, how has that been working so far??..Not nearly as good as last year.
Last year, we had Markov and Streit playing together with Kovalev there too. We had the best PP in the league.

I don't know, with the game on the wire in the shootouts yesterday, Kovalev was on the bench. Kovalev has yet to shoot during the shootouts. I don't think it's unfair treatment, I think Carbo chooses him to be our 3rd shooter, but we never went that far yet.

But Markov and Kovalev worked extremely well last year. I don't care which other 3 guys you put on that wave, just keep Markov and Kovy together.

Old
11-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Here, here. They were one of the best lines in the NHL last year and a huge reason as to why the Habs finished 1st. So breaking that line up would be tough to do.

If they did loose their magic and had to be broken up I'd go with these lines:

Latendresse -Plekanec - Kovalev
Sergei Kostitsyn - Lang - Andrei Kostitsyn

God, I really dislike Latendresse ( I know not for this thread) but any line he's on looks like a 3rd line!
Last year we didn't have any depth outside that line. Our 2nd line wasn't really dangerous. Our third was a failed attempt to create a checking line.

This year, we could potentially have three very interesting offensive line.
Putting the Kost Broz is a must to me. I think we should have started the season with them as a duo. If it didn't work we could have always returned to last year's line.

The Koivu line is doing good, the Kost broz love playing together, it's evident on every shift they play, and a line with Kovy is always a dangerous one.

Your lines are the same as I would go for and I feel those would work greatly.

Old
11-08-2008, 12:14 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
Anyone know how many games Sergei and Andrei played together at a high level before they both became members of the Canadiens? I'm thinking maybe 10 or 20? Far less than the number of games Andrei has played with Pleks and Kovy. Is it just because they both have Kostitsyn on the back of their sweater that everyone thinks they have to play together?
I don't think it's that, I think it's more the fact that they can make great plays when on the ice to each other. They both made great back door passes to each other for goals last year against the Sens and Rags, they set each other up well against Boston in at least one if not more games last year, the play that tied the game last night and I'm sure there are others. They have a natural understanding of how each other plays and their tendancies, they grew up together, no-one else on the Habs has that background to work with. I think that especially after the play last night and some of the goals they worked last year, people really want to see just how good they could be together. It's not just because of their names, it's because of what the guys in those jerseys do when they are on the ice together.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
You do realize they are Brothers.
I don't know about you, but when you've been practicing with the same person for ALL YOUR LIFE, and you both made it to the NHL, chances are they'll be able to make a great duo.

These guys have talent, we all know that. They would be able to perform separately on pretty much any roster in the NHL.
Add this talent, to two people that have practice together for their whole lives, and you'll get some magic.
It's simply logical.

Now if it were 2 brothers that weren't close, like the Koivu's, then it wouldn't be as sure.
But the Kost broz are extremely close and love to play together, if you can't see that every time they play together, then I think you're blind.

Old
11-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Didn't they just come alive against NYI?

How about no?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Didn't they just come alive against NYI?

How about no?
The Kost - Plek - Kovy line? They came alive during the 3rd period against the Isles, yes. During the previous two periods, no. During a number of the previous games, no. Last night, no. I'm not against giving them a bit more time to rekindle last years magic, but if they are still performing as a line as they have for most of this season at Christmas or the all-star break, I'll be very disappointed.

Maybe Bob should have another walk and talk with Kovy, see if that is the missing ingredient

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Why is Carbo alaways giving sarcastic smiles to the refs?

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
The Kost - Plek - Kovy line? They came alive during the 3rd period against the Isles, yes. During the previous two periods, no. During a number of the previous games, no. Last night, no. I'm not against giving them a bit more time to rekindle last years magic, but if they are still performing as a line as they have for most of this season at Christmas or the all-star break, I'll be very disappointed.

Maybe Bob should have another walk and talk with Kovy, see if that is the missing ingredient
I prefer to look at it as encouraging that they at least had 1 game in which they produced, just as people are looking at the NYI game as encouraging for Higgins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11_THEBEST! View Post
Why is Carbo alaways giving sarcastic smiles to the refs?
He learned it from Burns.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-08-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:34 PM
deandebean

Why is Carbo so (add any adjective)?

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:41 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:

Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay
I could definately see that happening. The Sedins when Seperated are O.K. but when combined on 1 line they are like psychic players, knowing where they are, they make incredible plays which makes them so lethal. I'd atleast try that with the Kostitsyns for 10 games.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Russeltown

I'm surprised no one mentioned it yet.

Carbo

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote