HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

4th Dman

Old
10-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Hodgson View Post
What about Sami Salo at the deadline? This is of course assuming that he is healthy and willing to waive his NTC. The Canucks are obviously looking for scoring, but if they are not going to make the playoffs, then prospects and or picks.
Interesting. Salo would replace Souray's huge slapper from the point and is a better skater. Of course, injury-concerns are there with Salo, but if he makes it healthy until the deadline, he could be a solid option. Obviously, Jay Bouwmeester would be a gem with his A-class transition game.

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:30 PM
mista_lordz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post
Again, if you want an affordable #4, than look no further than Karlis Skrastins in Florida. The only issue is whether or not Florida would trade him. They have plenty of depth at the position, and he's a UFA at the end of the season, so it may be a possible deadline acquisition.

The move would allow Hamrlik to play a more offensive role on the second pairing, instead of covering for either an inexperienced D partner (O'Byrne) or one that has historically been prone to costly blunders (Brisebois).

I'm sure there are other names out there that would fit and be cheap.
Good point there, but Hamrlik s been doin well with youngsters so far and maybe those added responsabilities help him to stay focused and give him some more motivations...

mista_lordz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 08:11 AM
King of Uniacke

Can we talk about a D-man for the Habs?

Hey I know a lot of talk is out there about getting another F, I think if you look at our depth we are pretty solid there, but if you look at the game against the ducks, it was in our own end we needed help, we had over 40 shots, but another #4D-man behind 44, 8, and 79 is needed. We do have some young guys who in a year or two might be ready but we want 25 this year. This thread is for people to post any talk they have heard of D-men the Habs might be interested in.

King of Uniacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Dripper

My two cents: Let O'Byrne plat a lot this year, so he gains confidence/experience for the upcoming years, just like they did with Komisarek a few years ago. And then at the trade deadline, get a top4 defenseman for the playoff run. By then Carbo should know who sits and who plays on the 3rd pairing between Gorges, Bouillon, O'Byrne and Brisebois in order to get #25.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
My two cents: Let O'Byrne plat a lot this year, so he gains confidence/experience for the upcoming years, just like they did with Komisarek a few years ago. And then at the trade deadline, get a top4 defenseman for the playoff run. By then Carbo should know who sits and who plays on the 3rd pairing between Gorges, Bouillon, O'Byrne and Brisebois in order to get #25.
I like the idea.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
If we can get a d-man for picks like we got Tanguay then cool... not for kids tho

who's a ufa to be d-man this year?

let's make a list

Edit: Pulled off of Eck's site

Player Team Pos Status 2008-09 Salary Points Wins
Niedermayer, Scott ANA D UFA 6,750,000 25 0
Schneider, Mathieu ATL D UFA 5,750,000 39 0
Blake, Rob SJ D UFA 5,000,000 32 0
Bouwmeester, Jay FLA D UFA 4,875,000 37 0
Aucoin, Adrian CGY D UFA 4,000,000 35 0
Morris, Derek PHO D UFA 3,950,000 27 0
Hatcher, Derian PHI D UFA 3,500,000 7 0
Ohlund, Mattias VAN D UFA 3,500,000 24 0
Backman, Christian CLB D UFA 3,400,000 18 0
Spacek, Jaroslav BUF D UFA 3,300,000 32 0
Kuba, Filip OTT D UFA 3,000,000 31 0
Boynton, Nick FLA D UFA 2,950,000 12 0
Havelid, Niclas ATL D UFA 2,900,000 14 0
de Vries, Greg NAS D UFA 2,750,000 15 0
Boucher, Philippe DAL D UFA 2,500,000 14 0
McLaren, Kyle SJ D UFA 2,500,000 11 0
Sydor, Darryl PIT D UFA 2,500,000 13 0
Skrastins, Karlis FLA D UFA 2,400,000 5 0
Gauthier, Denis LA D UFA 2,200,000 0 0
Gill, Hal PIT D UFA 2,100,000 24 0
Kalinin, Dmitri NYR D UFA 2,100,000 8 0
Mara, Paul NYR D UFA 1,950,000 17 0

I move for

Derek Morris
Nick Boynton

both are right handed shots

Last edited by Ape Clutch: 10-26-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Ape Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:48 AM
puckeater

If Gainey can somehow extract a top 4 dman out of a three way deal involving Gaborik...GM of the year. Chips to Minny-Gabo to FLA-Bouwmeester to MTL.

puckeater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:55 AM
theboss*

The question is who is the #4 D-man we go after?

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:08 AM
RC51

the habs don't need d-men, what they need is a goalie that stops ALL the pucks and plays in every game.
82 shutout's in the regular season.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Magic33

We have to look at Dmen that will be on non-playoff teams. No playoff team will give up at top 4 Dman. That narrows down the search alot. I would love to have Bouwmeester at the deadline. The guy is a stud

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:15 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
If Gainey can somehow extract a top 4 dman out of a three way deal involving Gaborik...GM of the year. Chips to Minny-Gabo to FLA-Bouwmeester to MTL.
That would be ideal. I dunno if Minny would keep both Burns and JBO, though...

Philippe Boucher or Robidas would be good alternatives for a 4th d-man. Both are righties and would complement Hamrlik well. Robidas is playing darn well since a couple of years.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
aren't we looking for a RH d-man?

Ape Clutch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
That would be ideal. I dunno if Minny would keep both Burns and JBO, though...

Philippe Boucher or Robidas would be good alternatives for a 4th d-man. Both are righties and would complement Hamrlik well. Robidas is playing darn well since a couple of years.
According to puckeater's proposal. We would get JBo, Minny would get Chipchura and FLA would get Gaborik. Interesting proposal, but we would have to give up more than just Chipchura.

Boucher we might have a shot at. But Robidas has become quite valuable to the Stars. So I don't think they would be in any hurry to move him.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
habs1988

I would love to trade for either Boucher or Morris.

There are 2 RH who can play on the PP with huge shot! They are good veterans.

Look at it :

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Morris/Boucher
Gorges - Bouillon
O'Byrne

Not bad...

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 10:45 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
According to puckeater's proposal. We would get JBo, Minny would get Chipchura and FLA would get Gaborik. Interesting proposal, but we would have to give up more than just Chipchura.

Boucher we might have a shot at. But Robidas has become quite valuable to the Stars. So I don't think they would be in any hurry to move him.
Higgins instead of Chips would probably get it done

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Higgins instead of Chips would probably get it done
Personally I don't want to see Higgins traded. But I agree, this would make the deal equal.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Personally I don't want to see Higgins traded. But I agree, this would make the deal equal.
It would probably have to be Higgins + Chipchura + something else IMO

Gaborik and Bouwmeester are 2 elite players, if we offer a package of Higgins straight up...chances are Minny just makes the deal 1 for 1

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Scariest thing is that they chose yesterday's game for O'Byrne to go in the stands and see how he should play.....I really hope he concentrated on Anaheim's defense a little more....That's the worst defensive game I've seen for a long time now....and luckily for O'Byrne he can't be blame for it.

Let the kid freakin play. If we didn't have the patience with Komi when he started he would not have turned this way. Not saying O'Byrne will 'cause I still have some doubts about his hockey sense at that level. Still, can we at least see what he can do without putting pressure?

Or let's trade him to see him flourish elsewhere so we could have ANOTHER thread about an ex-habs doing better elsewhere but we'll protecting ourselves with that "he would not have been able to it here" BS....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:18 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post

Gaborik and Bouwmeester are 2 elite players, if we offer a package of Higgins straight up...chances are Minny just makes the deal 1 for 1
Good point Q, I keep forgetting that Higgins is an RFA after this season. Though you're offer would be fair. I'm just not sure if I'm Gainey, that I would be willing to give up that much.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:21 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post

Bouwmeester is not going anywhere, you guys can forget about him. Hes their best player, pretty sure they will do everything to keep him plus, the panthers look like they might make the playoffs this year.

Its time for us to move on. What i mean by that is that guys like Bouillon and Brisebois cannot be regulars anymore. I was at the game against Anaheim and those two couldnt handle the big Anaheim forwards. I would keep Bouillon as a 7th D, play O'Byrne as much as they can to develop him and get another D.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Scariest thing is that they chose yesterday's game for O'Byrne to go in the stands and see how he should play.....I really hope he concentrated on Anaheim's defense a little more....That's the worst defensive game I've seen for a long time now....and luckily for O'Byrne he can't be blame for it.

Let the kid freakin play. If we didn't have the patience with Komi when he started he would not have turned this way. Not saying O'Byrne will 'cause I still have some doubts about his hockey sense at that level. Still, can we at least see what he can do without putting pressure?

Or let's trade him to see him flourish elsewhere so we could have ANOTHER thread about an ex-habs doing better elsewhere but we'll protecting ourselves with that "he would not have been able to it here" BS....
Normally I would agree with you Whitesnake. But the situation the team was in when Komisarek came up is totally different than it is right now.

I'm not suggesting that we trade him. I feel that would be a big mistake that would come back and bite the team in the ass.

I just feel if we are to be a true contender this year. We need to bring in another defenseman to play with Hamrlik.

Old
10-26-2008, 11:33 AM
puckeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Bouwmeester is not going anywhere, you guys can forget about him. Hes their best player, pretty sure they will do everything to keep him plus, the panthers look like they might make the playoffs this year.

Its time for us to move on. What i mean by that is that guys like Bouillon and Brisebois cannot be regulars anymore. I was at the game against Anaheim and those two couldnt handle the big Anaheim forwards. I would keep Bouillon as a 7th D, play O'Byrne as much as they can to develop him and get another D.

Aren't they at an impasse on a new contract negotiation also? Not sure what Minny would want in the end, either a stud dman or some cap space to allow an acquisition of scoring talent. Either way, if Gainey can facilitate a Gaborik trade for his pal Risebrough, as Strauchan suggested, then there has to be something in it for Bob.

puckeater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Nedved

Quote:
i think thats the plan. i think carbo sat obyrne last night because he had to let him no, its not his spot on the team, rather then brisbois>obyrne

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Uniacke View Post
Hey I know a lot of talk is out there about getting another F, I think if you look at our depth we are pretty solid there, but if you look at the game against the ducks, it was in our own end we needed help, we had over 40 shots, but another #4D-man behind 44, 8, and 79 is needed. We do have some young guys who in a year or two might be ready but we want 25 this year. This thread is for people to post any talk they have heard of D-men the Habs might be interested in.
There's probably zero at this point.

Seven games into the season is way too soon to be concluding on strengths/weaknesses and making moves, and that goes for 29 other teams as well. Gainey made his off season adjustments based on observations over the entire previous season, he's not going to readjust after 7 games and a 5-1-1 record.

O'Byrne is just at the beginning of his development, the magnifying glass will be on him in terms of determining the need for any defenseman that Gainey may have his eyes on.

And I know you didn't ask for this part of the opinion, but personally I don't see a reason to be looking. I think the Habs are strong at the top of the defenseman chart.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 11:56 AM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post

loungo was their best player and they traded him.

jokinen was their best player and captain and they traded him .

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote