HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4th Dman

Old
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
Tom Preissing from LA
But my first choice would be Beauchemin

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Artie

I'm at the game last night...habs are on the PP, Markov messes up on a shot from the point. A guy sitting in the row behind me turns to his buddy and says "Wouldn't Beauchemin help this team more than Markov?"

Am I missing something

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM
Iwishihadacup

Tom preissing could do a thing or two around here

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie View Post
I'm at the game last night...habs are on the PP, Markov messes up on a shot from the point. A guy sitting in the row behind me turns to his buddy and says "Wouldn't Beauchemin help this team more than Markov?"

Am I missing something

Markov is not a French Quebecer?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:23 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Tom preissing could do a thing or two around here
He was on my top 5 list when the Habs signed Hammer (Hammer was in it too, along with Rafs).

No way in hell I wanted Souray re-signed.

Preissing would be the best fit with Hammer among the Ds we could get, IMO.

Old
11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Maxpac

Halak and Bouillon for Liles and a 4th

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:32 PM
le_sean

Tom Preissing is terrible in his own end. I'd like to have a guy who is responsible in the defensive zone. He isn't an UFA either.

Niclas Havelid, Nick Boynton, and Derek Morris are better options IMO.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Derek Morris for me. He would be a perfect fit with Hammer and his booming shot would fit like a glove on the PP.

Phoenix is in dire straights financially by all acounts, so they'll be hard pressed to re-sign him long-term with players like Jokinen, Mueller, Michalek and Hanzal all needing new deals by summer 2010. Unless Phoenix is comfortably in the playoffs at the deadline, I doubt they let Morris just walk for nothing, so it's very possible they deal him.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Bump Gorges up to #4. Problem solved.

Now we need to find a #6 to play with Boullion. I think rotating Brisebois and O'Bryne will do the trick.
I say just keep the same pairings. But you can call Gorges the #4 dman. He still plays with Bouillon his regular shift. Maybe he kills important penalties with Hamrlik. Maybe he even gets the odd 2nd unit PP shift. Naw, maybe that's stretching it. But he can be #4 and play 20 minutes without changing the official pairings.

Guys like Brisebois and O'Byrne are the ones who need to be insulated by playing them with Hamrlik on their regular shifts.

Problem even more solved.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Tom Preissing is terrible in his own end. I'd like to have a guy who is responsible in the defensive zone. He isn't an UFA either.

Maybe not Boynton. I don't know for sure. Just noting he has been waived and now scratched from some pretty mediocre teams.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

What????

Maybe with the Kings he is, because he tries to do too much. But I remember when he played for the Sens, in a good coaching system, he was pretty good defensively. He didn't +40 with 38 points for nothing (and was only -20 for gvw/tkw differential with 32 gvw, whereas other Dmen get something like 60/70 gvw per season). The year before, with the Sharks, +17 with 43 points.

With Hammer, this could be a dynamite duo. And please, Derek Morris and Nick Boynton? If Preissing is not good in his own end, these guys are even worst.

Old
11-12-2008, 12:49 PM
Mad Habber

How about, as long as we are confortably in the playoffs, we keep everything status quo. Providing O'Byrne with valuable experience. Sort of like Komisarek got when he was brutal not so long ago under Julien.

Then at the trade deadline, we look around at who is available. No sense speculating until January-February. The deadline is March 4, we got plenty of time. We don't want OB to be at this same level next year. Let him progress. Some of him mistakes will be costly, but as long as we make the playoff relatively easily, who cares. We sure don't need to finish first in the conference to have a good playoff.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
What????

Maybe with the Kings he is, because he tries to do too much. But I remember when he played for the Sens, in a good coaching system, he was pretty good defensively. He didn't +40 with 38 points for nothing (and was only -20 for gvw/tkw differential with 32 gvw, whereas other Dmen get something like 60/70 gvw per season). The year before, with the Sharks, +17 with 43 points.

With Hammer, this could be a dynamite duo. And please, Derek Morris and Nick Boynton? If Preissing is not good in his own end, these guys are even worst.
He's a *****, he isn't physical at all and on an LA Kings team that isn't that bad, he's still a -5, which is 3rd worst on the team. He's also 9th on the team in TOI, 5th amond dmen, which also points to how much his coach likes him and how great that -5 looks with the limited icetime (17 mins a game). He's just not what this team needs, we already have Brisebois.

Plus he isn't a UFA, which is a deal killer anyways.

Old
11-12-2008, 12:59 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Maybe not Boynton. I don't know for sure. Just noting he has been waived and now scratched from some pretty mediocre teams.
I was never a huge fan of his, but he has 6 points in 13 gp, 15 PIMs and is 3rd on the team in +/-. He shoots right, he's big. I was just stating that he's a better option than Preissing.

Old
11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Beauchemin would be a good fit, although not an offensive defenseman. He can chew up 30 minutes a game and provide toughness sandpaper to the D that we don't really have.

However, the likelyhood of this happening is a long shot at best since Beauchemin is Bob Gainey's biggest mistake as CH GM.

Bob has not had alot of blunders but this one really was a big gaffe and I highly doubt that Bob will rub further rub salt in the wounds by now paying Anaheim for Beauchemin's services.

Can you imagine the field day that the Montreal media will have if Bob gives away a Higgins or Latendresse or even one of the lesser prospects for a guy that he let walk for free merely a few years ago?

As for Boucher, he used to have a big shot but wasn't all that impressed by him except for that one season where everything fell in place for him.

I think as someone alluded to earlier, we have prospects who are rotting away in AHL like Chips, and to lesser degree D'ag and Maxpac due to cream puffs like Latendresse not being able to be sent down...and next year and the year after that, there will only be more unhappy prospects unable to come up to the parent club because there's no room.

I'd say trade away these prospects before this golden opportunity for 100th year Stanely Cup is gone and get a top flight Dman like JBo...even if we have to over pay a bit since we can afford to right now.

This solves a lot of problems, keeps everyone happy (if the right players are select in the return package...ie. don't mess with friendships like Higgins/Komi, brothers like Kosties, etc) and takes us over the hump and gives us a real good shot at the Lord Stanely's Mug this year!
Bob Gainey doesn't seem like the type to forego a good trade because of a past mistake. His biggest mistake was getting nothing for Ribeiro (although I understand why he traded him) but I'm sure if he could now trade Dandenault to get Ribeiro back, he'd swallow his pride and make the trade. Just as he'd swallow his pride if he could have Beauchemin back. I'd trade Lats for Beauchemin any day. You never know with Burke.

As for the Montreal media, I would think they would be very supportive and appreciative of Gainey obtaining a player like Beauchemin, notwithstanding why he left Montreal in the first place. I do think many would be critical of Lats being involved in such a trade however.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
He's a *****, he isn't physical at all and on an LA Kings team that isn't that bad, he's still a -5, which is 3rd worst on the team. He's also 9th on the team in TOI, 5th amond dmen, which also points to how much his coach likes him and how great that -5 looks with the limited icetime (17 mins a game). He's just not what this team needs, we already have Brisebois.

Plus he isn't a UFA, which is a deal killer anyways.

LA has one of the worst defensive system out there. Preissing was a dominant D when on a good pairing, which he doesn't have right now. Put him with Hammer and the results will be very good.

Oh, and we can't trade for someone who isn't a UFA??? Please elaborate, as the only thing that entails is that a UFA would cost less, but im willing to bet Preissing's price tag on the trade market isn't high right now.

Old
11-12-2008, 01:08 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
LA has one of the worst defensive system out there. Preissing was a dominant D when on a good pairing, which he doesn't have right now. Put him with Hammer and the results will be very good.

Oh, and we can't trade for someone who isn't a UFA??? Please elaborate, as the only thing that entails is that a UFA would cost less, but im willing to bet Preissing's price tag on the trade market isn't high right now.
Your right and wrong.
I watch a lot of LA games, Preissing is just not very good, he is not intense and usually just floats around. If he could regain the urgency he had in Ottawa it would help. His trade value would be low for sure, but don't the Kings need to stay near the cap floor.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 01:10 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
Your right and wrong.
I watch a lot of LA games, Preissing is just not very good, he is not intense and usually just floats around. If he could regain the urgency he had in Ottawa it would help. His trade value would be low for sure, but don't the Kings need to stay near the cap floor.
Trade Dandy and Bégin... with Halak.

Old
11-12-2008, 01:14 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Because the Habs have a lot of players to sign after this year. And I wouldn't want $2M+ tied up in Tom Preissing of all players.

Doughty is a +6 on the team and he's 18 years old, playing more minutes than any other player. How does that happen on such a bad team?

Old
11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Because the Habs have a lot of players to sign after this year. And I wouldn't want $2M+ tied up in Tom Preissing of all players.

Doughty is a +6 on the team and he's 18 years old, playing more minutes than any other player. How does that happen on such a bad team?
Maybe Preissing doesn't like playing there. He's totally different than the player he was in Ottawa and San Jose. You might just wanna consider that.

Old
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Maybe Preissing doesn't like playing there. He's totally different than the player he was in Ottawa and San Jose. You might just wanna consider that.
Yeah I'd love to have a player who doesn't try when he doesn't like where he's playing.

Radek Bonk was a player who was much better in Ottawa and put up good offensive numbers just a couple years before he came to Montreal.

I just don't think Preissing is a good option.

Old
11-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yeah I'd love to have a player who doesn't try when he doesn't like where he's playing.

Radek Bonk was a player who was much better in Ottawa and put up good offensive numbers just a couple years before he came to Montreal.

I just don't think Preissing is a good option.
My favorite option remains Ohlubnd, altho he is LH, but with Hammer, I don't think that it would be a problem.

Old
11-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I say just keep the same pairings. But you can call Gorges the #4 dman. He still plays with Bouillon his regular shift. Maybe he kills important penalties with Hamrlik. Maybe he even gets the odd 2nd unit PP shift. Naw, maybe that's stretching it. But he can be #4 and play 20 minutes without changing the official pairings.

Guys like Brisebois and O'Byrne are the ones who need to be insulated by playing them with Hamrlik on their regular shifts.

Problem even more solved.
Thanks BG.... This is what we already do.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Mother Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMarvel View Post
The problem though is that unlike teams like the sabres or the sharks we do not have a whole lot of depth at this position. Breezer and O'byrne have been playing like filler right now and wouldn't be able to step up if a guy like hammer or komi (heaven's forbid) got injured.
Totally agree...the game against Toronto is a good example of how much this team is not as deep as we think at D, as much as I like Gorges or Bouillon. Do you guys remember the stretch of game without Hamrlik last year? We looked like saturday everygame, getting outshot and trapped in our defensive end all the time. I like Gorges and I agree that he is our real 4th defenseman right now but it's a fact that he's not strong enough to carry the responsability of a 2nd pairing defenseman on his own like Hammer does.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Bumjoo Wang*

I think the general idea is that thanks to the fact that our team is pretty good up front, between the pipes, and for the most part on the defense as well, there is plenty of room for trial and error regarding a #4D. The fact that Hamrlik is on that line helps as well. There's still about 4 months for one of our young guys to step up and take that spot, before we have to look for a solution outside the team.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote