HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

How does the Alex Tanguay trade look like now?(Fire Sutter?)

Old
11-06-2008, 12:36 PM
andy*

vCash: 500
How does the Alex Tanguay trade look like now?(Fire Sutter?)

When the Flames traded away Alex Tanguay and moved down the draft, that was not a smart move by Sutter because Tanguay is now ripping it up in Montreal and moving down the draft(2008) was aslo not a good idea because we got a player (Greg Nemisz) that is proably going to be a 4th line guy and may not even make the NHL. I remember wacthing TSN and they said this is going to be one of the best draft in a while and you can get a player like Ryan Getzlaf at the 16th(What the Flames had) or 17th postion. And what we got was Mike Cammalleri, who really is not doing a whole lot. Sutter should have had used Tanguay and the 16th pick to move up the draft, not down. If the team does not go past the first round in the playoffs and Sutter makes another stupid move like this then he should be fired from the GM postion and Given the head coaching duties(If he wants, if not then let go) I know there will be people ripping me but fire away

andy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Ronald Pagan

Meh.

Elementary analysis of the trade.

You forgot about the whole other half. You know, the part about Cammalleri. Read up on that and then come back to us.

Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
It was pretty clear that Tanguay would do well in Montreal, as they play a much more offensive game suited to the current Eastern Conference. He didn't care much for playing a defence first game and so he was moved.

Saying Cammalleri has "not done a whole lot" is flat out incorrect. He is second on the team for points and tied for first in assists. He also, despite his size, plays tough in the corners, and does it a lot more than Tanguay did.

If, as you suggested, we traded up in the draft, then who do you suggest takes Cammalleri's spot on the roster? And if you are going to say Backlund, then let me stop you right there; he's not ready yet. I have a hard time believing anyone on the baby flames would be second in points on our team at the moment.

So the trade right now looks alright.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
When the Flames traded away Alex Tanguay and moved down the draft, that was not a smart move by Sutter because Tanguay is now ripping it up in Montreal and moving down the draft(2008) was aslo not a good idea because we got a player (Greg Nemisz) that is proably going to be a 4th line guy and may not even make the NHL. I remember wacthing TSN and they said this is going to be one of the best draft in a while and you can get a player like Ryan Getzlaf at the 16th(What the Flames had) or 17th postion. And what we got was Mike Cammalleri, who really is not doing a whole lot. Sutter should have had used Tanguay and the 16th pick to move up the draft, not down. If the team does not go past the first round in the playoffs and Sutter makes another stupid move like this then he should be fired from the GM postion and Given the head coaching duties(If he wants, if not then let go) I know there will be people ripping me but fire away

I'm pretty happy with the Cammalleri acquisition. If 12 points in 13 games is considered not doing a whole lot, then I can't wait until he starts doing something.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
PIMking

ALot of the baby flames better worry about getting a contract for next year. *cough Kris Chucko, Lundmark, Cracknell *cough*

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
puck_08

The trade sucked as a 1st + 2nd for Tanguay.. but getting Cammalleri who might want to resign here next year, and is getting paid less this year (so we fit under the cap this year) are good reasons for the trade to be not too bad.. It sucks how Tanguay was treated that made him want to move, but oh well.

Last edited by puck_08: 11-06-2008 at 02:05 PM.
puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Ronald Pagan

Seriously so much is wrong with the opening post.

The poster conveniently overlooks the fact that Tanguay wanted out of town and asked for a trade which reduces his trade value, that Tanguay held a no-trade clause which tied Sutter's hands in finding suitors further diminishing his trade value, and that Tanguay did a whole lot of nothing with his time in Calgary.

We were able to shed salary in order to keep Langkow and Phaneuf's new big contracts, find a more than adequate replacement for Tanguay in Cammalleri and still have a first round pick.

Mod-edit: deleted.

Question Andy:

Have you ever seen Nemisz play? I bet you haven't. I bet you have no clue about Nemisz who is a point a game player with a great shot.

Couple the fact that we also drafted Wahl a couple of picks later I am very satisfied with this draft.

Last edited by Snoil11: 11-06-2008 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Flaming
Ronald Pagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Essentially it's

Tanguay + Jake Gardiner for Nemisz, Cammalleri, 2nd round in a deep '09 draft + capspace used to sign Bertuzzi (not sure how much capspace we got, I think it was about 2 million)

And we've yet to see how 2 of the 4 pieces will turn out

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:07 PM
DownInFlames

To say that Neimsz is a 4th liner is premature and as far as I am concerned completely incorrect. I think he has potential, how long it takes him to develop into a top 6 power forward is the only thing you can question. And then you go onto say Cammalleri has done nothing?????? Do you watch the Flames? He is 2nd in points plays in all situations and has done an excellent job. You'd rather have Tanguay moping around complaining than a guy who is excited to be playing here and putting up points? Then you say Sutter should be fired? Mod-edit: deleted.

Last edited by Snoil11: 11-06-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: playing mod
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Rudolf Yaber

If only Tanguay was still here this year, he would be ripping it up like he is in Montreal

Rudolf Yaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 02:48 PM
gothenburg_hardrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufed View Post
Essentially it's

Tanguay + Jake Gardiner for Nemisz, Cammalleri, 2nd round in a deep '09 draft + capspace used to sign Bertuzzi (not sure how much capspace we got, I think it was about 2 million)

Never realized that Cammalleri and Bertuzzis salary are basically equal to Tanguay When you break it down like that it was a very strong move as it gives us far greater depth this year (Cammalleri and Bertuzzi instead of Tanguay) and down the road with two solid prospects instead of one.

I also feel that there is a much higher chance that Cammalleri will resign in Calgary than Tanguay so it is pretty hard not to like this move.

gothenburg_hardrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Ticonderoga

The move fit both teams, I wish we could have gotten more for Tanguay, but hindsight is 20/20 and we seem to do no worse without him.

Glad he has made something of himself in Montreal, but at the same time I wish he could have done it here instead.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Essentially it's

Add our 5th rounder (Trunev) that we got with Tanguay who's suppose to be somewhat of a steal (though aren't every player chosen....).

But clearly, it's way too soon to say. Nobody knows what Nemisz will give you. And if we can't re-sign Tanguay.....will the analysis change then? And your 2nd pick in 09 is still not in sight yet, and our 5th rounder is still in Russia....(will he ever come here....)

Tanguay definately serves a purpose for us by far. Saying that you guys didn't get anything is really far from the truth though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Body Checker

I'd like to revisit this thread in 5 years to see if:

* Mattias Tedenby is a star (Flames could have had him at #17)
* Greg Nemisz and Mitch Wahl are in top 6 roles for the Flames (that depth would cancel out Tedenby if he is an excellent player)
* Mike Cammallerri is still a Calgary Flame

Then we can decide if Sutter made the right moves.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Hyperkookeez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Iggy View Post
The move fit both teams, I wish we could have gotten more for Tanguay, but hindsight is 20/20 and we seem to do no worse without him.

Glad he has made something of himself in Montreal, but at the same time I wish he could have done it here instead.
this +1^^

and im also in agreeance with body checker. its a shame we missed out on tedenby

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:06 PM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
I'd like to revisit this thread in 5 years to see if:

* Mattias Tedenby is a star (Flames could have had him at #17)
* Greg Nemisz and Mitch Wahl are in top 6 roles for the Flames (that depth would cancel out Tedenby if he is an excellent player)
* Mike Cammallerri is still a Calgary Flame

Then we can decide if Sutter made the right moves.
I don't think this should really matter when analyzing this trade as Tanguay was gone after this year anyway.

It's somewhat the same as the 2004 draft.

Would people rather have Travis Zajac vs Kris Chucko, Dustin Boyd, and Brandon Prust right now?

It's more of in 5 years will people rather want Nemisz and Wahl vs Tedenby.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:14 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Uh what? Seriously. Cammalleri has been one of the better forwards on the team so far. Looks great and more importantly is fitting in well which Tanguay didn't. I liked Tanguay, but he wasn't happy here so we had to move him. I am more then happy with what Cammalleri has brought to the team and really hope we can resign him.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 04:20 PM
josra33

Quote:
Essentially it's

As an Aves fan you guys did a great job this offseason. You really added some nice assets while being forced to move Tanguay, a player, who someone said before, had his trade value diminished because he demanded the trade. The OP really screwed up every point he was trying to make.

josra33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

Quote:
Essentially it's

Just to add on to this

Tanguays cap hit is 5.25 mill, Cammy and Berts are 5.3 mill

Then it's Nemisz and a 2nd rounder vs. Trunev and Tedenby or whomever.

So the only sure things right now are Cammy, Bert and Tanguay and as far as I'm concerned, Cammalleri + Bertuzzi >>>>>>>>> Tanguay.

Fire Sutter

Last edited by Phaneufed: 11-06-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
sonetlumiere

am i missing something? tanguay at no point last season demanded a trade. he was actually pretty reluctant to talk about being traded, always playing down the rumors, stating he liked playing here. IMO it was a great fit for both teams. come playoff time we'll really start to see why these deals were made..

and in reality if we hadnt dumped tangs' salary we couldnt have picked up bertuzzi. so you can pretty much fit him into the montreal deal. nemisz, cammalleri and bertuzzi for tanguay.. sounds like a great deal to me.

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:12 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
am i missing something? tanguay at no point last season demanded a trade.

I couldn't find the Calgary Sun link, but here you go:

http://www.thehockeyherald.com/?p=1645

Quote:
"Twice last season I asked the Flames to trade me, and Montreal was on my wish list both times," he said...

Quote:
"I thought they traded for me from Colorado because I could generate offence", he says with a bitter smile.

"I was in that sort of a situation for the first time in my career, and it was tough. I felt out of place in their system, and that's why I wanted to leave Calgary and I waived the no-exchange clause (in my contract)."

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
I remember a Regehr interview during one of the CBC broadcasts at the beginning of the season, when he talked about this year's roster changes and referred to Huselius and Tanguay as "individuals" the entire interview and did not once call them by their actual name.
Makes yo' think, doesn't it?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Qubax

This is ridiculous...

Everyone freaking knew that Tanguay would slaughter in Montreal...

Few have any ill will towards him...at the end of the day Cammy and Bert were going to work better for this team then Tanguay and Juice...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:00 AM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
This is ridiculous...

Everyone freaking knew that Tanguay would slaughter in Montreal...

Few have any ill will towards him...at the end of the day Cammy and Bert were going to work better for this team then Tanguay and Juice...
No kidding... what's ridiculous is his analysis that Cammy hasn't done a whole lot despite putting up more points than Tanguay this year so far for about $2 Million less.

However, we'll have to see if he can come through in the playoffs. If Cammy does, then there is no way moving Tanguay for Cammalleri was a bad move considering Tanguay was useless in the post season last year.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:40 AM
tfong

Wow for someone with 700+ posts...it sure seems as if hes never watched the Flames before and feels he is an expert on them...

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote