HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Should the Devils go after Khabibulin?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
  #26
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,412
vCash: 500
I think they would go after Pavelec or Lehtonen (or is he injured?) before Khabibulin.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:22 PM
  #27
KT7
Registered User
 
KT7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I think they would go after Pavelec or Lehtonen (or is he injured?) before Khabibulin.
This would involve moving considerable assets. It's not like the Devils don't have a goalie...he's just injured.

I would say these 2 are out of the equation - in the equation would be older veterans in the final year of their contracts, and making low enough cash to fit in under the cap for now.

KT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
  #28
Irish Blues
____________________
 
Irish Blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: St Helena
Posts: 21,804
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Sauer View Post
Brodeur - 5.2 Cap hit
Khabiboulin - 6.75 Cap hit

Devils - .500 Cap space
Wrong. The Devils have more cap space than that.

Do the Devils have enough cap space? Yes - they could quite easily tag Brodeur for LTIR, trade for Khabibulin, and keep him until Brodeur is fully healed ... at which point, they waive Khabby and send him to the minors and shed the remainder of his cap hit and take Brodeur off LTIR. However, if they really feel they need a goalie there are cheaper options available around the league which they'll explore first.

__________________
No promises this time.
Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 05:57 PM
  #29
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Strathroy, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 62,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
Wrong. The Devils have more cap space than that.

Do the Devils have enough cap space? Yes - they could quite easily tag Brodeur for LTIR, trade for Khabibulin, and keep him until Brodeur is fully healed ... at which point, they waive Khabby and send him to the minors and shed the remainder of his cap hit and take Brodeur off LTIR. However, if they really feel they need a goalie there are cheaper options available around the league which they'll explore first.
And that settles this debate. We can do it, will we do it? nah, but can we? Yah.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:20 PM
  #30
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
I always hate this kind of reply. Do you really think that NHL GM's are so childish as to decide whether they are going to make a trade based on letting some other GM squirm on the hook?

If Lou thought it would improve his team and was worth the cost, he would make an offer for Khabibulin. Just because you go out of your way to give your little brother a wedgie doesn't mean that's how GM's think.

It's exactly how GM's think. Yes, someone like Khabibulin can help the Devils but Lou isn't ready to lose assets for a gap filler that will be waived as soon as Marty comes back.

If you go back to the Malakhov trade, Lou gave up a 1st round pick just to shed his salary... Are you telling me that DW should've asked for a 5th round pick, wich was about his value at the time ?!?!?

It's a business guy, get with it

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
  #31
Piffle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
It's exactly how GM's think. Yes, someone like Khabibulin can help the Devils but Lou isn't ready to lose assets for a gap filler that will be waived as soon as Marty comes back.

If you go back to the Malakhov trade, Lou gave up a 1st round pick just to shed his salary... Are you telling me that DW should've asked for a 5th round pick, wich was about his value at the time ?!?!?

It's a business guy, get with it
Of course it is a business. That's MY point. A GM will not let some other GM stew and not make a trade that improves his team just to screw some other GM over.

Piffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 07:48 PM
  #32
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
Of course it is a business. That's MY point. A GM will not let some other GM stew and not make a trade that improves his team just to screw some other GM over.
What I'm trying to say is that if Lou would actually trade for Khabibulin, he isn't giving more then a 7th round pick. Why, because he knows that Chicago has cap issues and that no one else will acquire the "Bullin wall" for markert value.

On the other hand, Tallon has no leverage what so ever with his goaler and the fact that he's been playing average hockey doesn't help his barganing power AT ALL !!!

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
  #33
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 101,108
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
What I'm trying to say is that if Lou would actually trade for Khabibulin, he isn't giving more then a 7th round pick. Why, because he knows that Chicago has cap issues and that no one else will acquire the "Bullin wall" for markert value.

On the other hand, Tallon has no leverage what so ever with his goaler and the fact that he's been playing average hockey doesn't help his barganing power AT ALL !!!
Well Hawks dont have much CAP wiggle room. That is true but we are under the cap with Barker up. So as much as people want to try to play up the Hawks are in a bind angle. The reality is right now we can afford to have both Huet and Khabibulin. And the Hawks do have a 6-3-3 record with the team we have now!

Keep this team together and ride Khabibulin until the deadline and unload him Gainey style to a team that needs better goaltending for playoffs!

As for the Devils! Let them ride Weekes! And when he falters then they will have to pay the price via prospects or picks for a goalie when the league knows that they need one!

And clearly you haven't watched the Hawks!

Khabibulin has played great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2008, 09:38 PM
  #34
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Well Hawks dont have much CAP wiggle room. That is true but we are under the cap with Barker up. So as much as people want to try to play up the Hawks are in a bind angle. The reality is right now we can afford to have both Huet and Khabibulin. And the Hawks do have a 6-3-3 record with the team we have now!

Keep this team together and ride Khabibulin until the deadline and unload him Gainey style to a team that needs better goaltending for playoffs!

As for the Devils! Let them ride Weekes! And when he falters then they will have to pay the price via prospects or picks for a goalie when the league knows that they need one!

And clearly you haven't watched the Hawks!

Khabibulin has played great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Nikolai is doing the job in Chicago... great. I just don't see Lou pushing the panic button even if Weekes struggles. I see 2 scenarios...

1) Kevin Weekes pulls it off and Brodeur comes back, healthy and ready to go for the SCP.

2) Kevin Weekes struggles, then I can see Lou trading Gionta for prospects and picks and rides the storm for better or worse. If we fail to make the playoffs, we'll just get a better pick in a verry solid draft.

P.S. Who taught that Ty Conklin would do the job he did last year with the Pens... so why isn't it possible for Weekes

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:18 AM
  #35
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
 
CFD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 18,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
I always hate this kind of reply. Do you really think that NHL GM's are so childish as to decide whether they are going to make a trade based on letting some other GM squirm on the hook?

If Lou thought it would improve his team and was worth the cost, he would make an offer for Khabibulin. Just because you go out of your way to give your little brother a wedgie doesn't mean that's how GM's think.
I'm implying that Lou isn't likely to take on that kind of salary for a goaltender when we still would like to see how Weekes plays out first.

I'm sure Lou would like to use some cap space for a defenseman anyway.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:47 PM
  #36
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffle View Post
I always hate this kind of reply. Do you really think that NHL GM's are so childish as to decide whether they are going to make a trade based on letting some other GM squirm on the hook?

If Lou thought it would improve his team and was worth the cost, he would make an offer for Khabibulin. Just because you go out of your way to give your little brother a wedgie doesn't mean that's how GM's think.
and replies like this are kind of narrow too...

yeah, i'm sure some gms think like that, and some don't. who knows, maybe a gm really likes one of chicago's players, and sat up late one night, worked out the numbers, and realized that in two years, chicago can only sign 3 of 4 rfas, and that hopefully, the player gm 1 wants is let go...

anyway, yeah, a little narrow imo

some gms i'm sure do, others i'm sure don't... they are only people too remember

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.