HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Nicest hockey arena in the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 02:00 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Nicest hockey arena in the NHL?

What teams would you say are currently among the top as far as best arenas go? This includes seat capacity, how "state of the art" the arena is, the list goes on.

Hint: Don't waste your time even posting if you plan on simply praising your own team's arena and haven't been to other arenas to compare it to.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:01 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
The Preds arena is nice and no frills, but nothing special. It feels like a purpose built hockey arena with no concern towards beauty and style (in the seating area). Nationwide in Columbus is a real gem. It's the best I've been too. It's beautiful, spacious, big, and luxurious. Now the team...

Old
02-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Verbal Kint*

As far as the ice surface, no-oine can beat Edmonton. I haven't been to any other arenas asides from the ACC though so I guess I can't have much imput towards other arenas.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:02 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I'd guess that Glendale Arena and the Exel Energy Center are two gooders, as they're new. Not sure on how old Nationwide is. The Pond also looks fairly good from what I've seen.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:04 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I'm curious as to how nice Montreal's arena is since I believe it seats more people than any other arena in the NHL at about 21,000.

By the way, it would help for people to list the city associated with the arena name so most of us actually know which team's arena you're talking about.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I'm curious as to how nice Montreal's arena is since I believe it seats more people than any other arena in the NHL at about 21,000.

By the way, it would help for people to list the city associated with the arena name so most of us actually know which team's arena you're talking about.

I found this if it can help you a bit, but Bell Centre does look great now.

http://www.hockeyarenas.com/Fotosmontreenglish.htm

Old
02-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve

Well, I'm from Montreal, so I can give some input.

Seating: I have yet to have a bad seat, always right on top of the action.
Sound system: Ear splitting... Sometimes really drowns out the fan noise which is a shame.
Eating: Expensive, but probably just as expensive as anywhere else.
Location: Train pulls right into it and pretty easy to access right off the highway. Parking ain't always pretty, however.
Atmosphere: Great.
Ticket prices: I've heard they were relatively low.
Ice surface: Could be a lot better, IMO.

Here's the seating plan as well as the ticket prices.
http://www.bellcentre.ca/eng/about/s...l?smabout3=yes

Last edited by Bill McNeal: 02-29-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old
02-29-2004, 02:18 PM
Reign Nateo

I think the newer ones are the best, they seem to get better and better. Unless your a fan of nostalgia.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:32 PM
The Guy on the Couch*

The Mellon Arena, hands down.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:35 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensNeedItAll
The Mellon Arena, hands down.
I believe the title is nicest in the NHL

Old
02-29-2004, 02:39 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
The Bell Centre is really nice, and the atmosphere inside just makes it something else.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:42 PM
#44_delivers

excell energy centre in minnisota looks phat :]
bell centre in montreal waz awsome from the out side it doesnt look like much but when you get inside "WOW" its soo nice, great environment, awsome hotdags, great visuals design and great view.

Old
02-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I've heard that the Kings Arena is pretty nice too ...
Dallas aybody?... what about new phoenix arena?

Old
02-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
I've heard that the Kings Arena is pretty nice too ...
Dallas aybody?... what about new phoenix arena?
If you like getting players injured, yea the Staples Center is the way to go.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:13 PM
The Guy on the Couch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
I believe the title is nicest in the NHL

I know.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:50 PM
zoidberg

The Bell center is simply beautiful. I had the cheapest tickets in the highest bowl but I could still see the action very well. The interior was beautiful, colored, with entertainment in every sight. There were many concessions and good promotions going on too, it was a great experience. The seats were new and comfortable, and the place was rocking. Montreal.

I've also seen the Staples center, which is almost as good as the Bell center, the Saddledome, which, aside from it's unique exterior, is nothing special, Rectal place, which is pretty good. Not on the level of Staples or Bell, but definately a good arena; very loud (artificial crowd noise, eh ).

Old
02-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
I've been to Joe Louis Arena, United Center, Nationwide Arena, and Mellon.

Nationwide is the best of the group.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:55 PM
albathegreat*

Well, I have been to the ACC the Bell Center and the Corel Center,

1. ACC
2. Bell
3. Corel

I Think the ACC and the Bell Center are excellent arena's for me they are equal I have ACC # 1 because well I can. Corel Center isn't bad its just not as good as the other two.

Old
02-29-2004, 03:55 PM
vega007

The Saddledome is nothing to write home about but nothing to laugh at either

I have been to over 20 NHL rinks, past and present and by far the worst is the Skyreach Centre in Edmonton, or Rexall Place or whatever they want to call it now

the place is dark and EXTREMELY dirty

The best place I've been to is the Fleet Centre in Boston

Old
02-29-2004, 04:02 PM
Cayouche5

I heard the Minnesota Wild arena was the best.
I only go to 3 NHL arena :
Colise de Quebec ( Nordiques )
Forum de Montreal ( Old Habs )
Bell Center ( New Habs )

You can't beat the atmosphere of a Quebec vs Montreal playoff game in the old Forum you simply can't.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:03 PM
BlueBlood17

I've been to the ACC countless times, and other than that, the only other NHL arena I have been in for hockey is the Bell Centre (on a few occaisions).

The ACC is great....there isn't a bad seat in the house. It is a very "classy" arena, I guess you could say, all the frills and fancies, but with the outrageous ticket prices, I guess that's what you should expect.

Unfortunately, the "ritzy" feel of the building, means that the "ritzy" people get to see the games, leaving the most die-hard fans watching on TV or travelling to other cities for games. So, the atmosphere usually sucks.

As for the Bell Centre, it isn't too flashy or glamorous, but once you walk through the tunnel and into your seating section, it's great. Each time I've gone, the seats have been good. Also, everytime I've gone, it's been for Leafs/Habs, so the atmosphere was absoultely electric. There is no way I can describe it. Of course, having a building split 50/50 with fans of two teams does that. I can't comment on what the atmosphere is like for games against the Minnesotas and Floridas of the NHL (no offence to those teams).

One major difference between the ACC and the Bell Centre is the lighting. The ACC is much more brighter it seems. However, I don't see that as a good thing. Some people get caught up looking around and at different things. At the Bell Centre, it is quite dark over the seating, with the lights shining pretty much only on the ice. I think it is great, showing that indeed what is going on the ice is where the spotlight should be, and not the extracurriculars.

I think the ACC is a lot more appealing to the eye and is a perfectly designed/located facility, especially considering it's original drafts were to be a basketball-only stadium. I miss the Gardens like you wouldn't believe, but it is always a treat to see a game at the ACC as well. I get the same rush going to a game, regradless of where it's being played. That being said, of all hockey games I have seen in my lifetime, my favourite have all been Leafs/Habs at the Bell Centre.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:04 PM
jedicujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple_Leafs_Forever
As far as the ice surface, no-oine can beat Edmonton. I haven't been to any other arenas asides from the ACC though so I guess I can't have much imput towards other arenas.
In the new issue of Sports Illustrated (or was it ESPN? I don't remember) they ran an article about ice maintenance, and how one goes about switching between hockey and basketball setups.

They also talked about how NHL players fill out a form on the quality of the ice after the game--these are then entered into a database or what have you and scores are determined.

I expected Edmonton to be #1, because people talk about how fast it is, but they were actually further down on the list. St. Louis and someone else tied for the best ice, and Atlanta was the worst (Dallas and Pittsburgh had worse scores, but they had failed to turn in all required forms).

Old
02-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Torch

GM Place is nice. Nothing special, but the layout is efficient and the seats are comfortable.

The Saddledome has a lot of charm. It was one of the best back in the 80s, and the architecture is nice. Compared to the newr arenas today, it's a little outdated, but it does have some retro charm.

Besides the old Winnipeg Arean which really sucked, those are the only 2 I have first hand knowledge of.

Old
02-29-2004, 04:13 PM
Oilers Hockey

There's nothing dirty about Rexall, yeah it's old and not much to look at, but they keep it clean. And it's the loudest & rowdiest barn in the NHL.

I've always thought the exterior design of Arrowhead Pond was beautiful - but I've been to Air Canada Centre and no wonder its so expensive, its an amazing arena.

Old
02-29-2004, 05:33 PM
Luigi Lemieux

the pens really liked the hp pavilion, and so do a lot of people close to the game, supposedly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04059/278701.stm

Closed Thread