HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Awarded 17th pick of the 2nd round in 2009 draft.

Old
11-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Rangerfan4life90

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
Don't just blindly believe all of the hype, it's nowhere near '03.
It's defintely the best since 03 tho

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

instead of that pick, I think they should award us the next top russian sniper prospect...

c'mon just do it!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:30 PM
FeedDaPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
So then is it wrong for someone to collect on a life insurance policy until at least a year after a loved one passes on? You never get over the loss but life has to go on.
No, but any business - involves ethics. (I actually do think that what the Rangers are doing is ethical.

But this one: http://allhockey.ru/news/39499/ - is beyond belief.

For those of you who do not read Russian - Rangers are refusing to turn over the results of Cherepanov's medical tests to the KHL's investigative committee. Without providing any reason for refusing to comply.

(The ONLY reason that I might see there - is a possibility, that the request was improper according to HIPPA (Patient's Privacy Act)... If it is that - then at least they should explain and ask for a proper waiver from Alexei's mother...)

FeedDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:51 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They signed their player and he at least played for them. We never signed ours.

We will get the pick. It's already assured, IMO.
I think they personally maybe should of waited a little bit before bringing this up in all due respect.

I honestly see the rangers side on this but the draft is in June.

Should they get a pick? NHL Rules say no.

Cherps sorry to say is ineligiable for the 2009 draft. If he was eligiable it would be different story.

If they get a pick its not a big deal but so far the way it has been brought up after what a month after his passing is sad.

RIP

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
It was a print media story--so the thread starter commented on it. I don't see what the big deal about that is. We're not living in the 19th century say where a woman's husband would die and she would be obligated to wear nothing but black for a year. I was looking forward as well as money others here to a long and productive NHL career from Cherepanov but it was not to be. It was a tragedy but there are other 19 and 20 year olds out there dying every day--in particular we've had a number of them dying in Iraq and Afghanistan. I am sorry especially for Cherepanov's family. I expect they are still grieving but I have pretty much moved on from it. Maybe some others here haven't but I really don't need them to dictate how I should feel about it.

got the new NHL game with Cherapanov in it........siiighhh

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:28 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Granted it's ESPN but it looks as though it won't get resolved until the next GM meetings which just happen to be after the deadline. Which does make sense b/c technically we shouldn't get the pick until after the season ends anyway because we still "should" have time to sign him up until the next draft. So it would actually be unfair for us to receive the pick during the season.

also it looks like the NHLPA will have to sign off on it as well b/c this isn't in the CBA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3688410
It's not like we're drafting the player during the season, but if it's in the rules like some of these articles indicate, we should actually know right now (technically speaking) what is owed to us. Maybe we need an interpretation on the language, but it's not like we are going to court and asking for compensation in civil court that a judge determines. And if someone can determine that the CBA stipulates we are due compensation, we can go ahead and deal away our current 2nd round pick with the comfort of knowing we have another one coming.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedDaPuck View Post
For those of you who do not read Russian - Rangers are refusing to turn over the results of Cherepanov's medical tests to the KHL's investigative committee. Without providing any reason for refusing to comply.

Quote:
Yesterday it became known to a Sport-Express correspondent that the medical staff of the New York Rangers has flatly refused to hand over the results of the medical tests which were performed [on Cherepanov] after the 2007 draft. At that time, you’ll recall, Cherepanov was overseas and took part in the summer training camp for rookies of the “Blueshirts”. The American side, by the way, did not provide any reason for the motives behind their decision.
http://www.beyondtheblueshirts.com/2...dical-records/

For the record, I don't buy the HIPPA argument -- a coroner or medical examiner would have the right to access those records here in the states, Russian officials should as well. Not to mention the fact that Cherepanov's family could authorize their release.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:10 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I don't feel like we should even bring this up until the season is over at the very least. Complete disrespect to Cherepanov, the kid died less than a month ago and you're already talking about "what we deserve because he died"

Disgusting.
Please... relax.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I don't feel like we should even bring this up until the season is over at the very least. Complete disrespect to Cherepanov, the kid died less than a month ago and you're already talking about "what we deserve because he died"

Disgusting.
No, the Rangers are saying they are entitled to compensation because they were unable to sign a first round draft pick.

11-07-2008, 07:28 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
The pick should be 2nd round and in 2009 since that is when we would lose Chere's rights.

If the Rangers don't put the wheels in motion now they will not be compensated because the NHL will go out of it's way to make sure the Rangers get nothing unless the Rangers speak up for themselves.

To the posters that say this is tasteless, classless or a few other choice words....grow up it's a business. We could not sign him so we get the compensation. pretty plain and simple.

LGR!!!

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 07:51 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerfan_79 View Post
To the posters that say this is tasteless, classless or a few other choice words....grow up it's a business. We could not sign him so we get the compensation. pretty plain and simple.

LGR!!!
It's kind of ridiculous, especially on the main board where some kiddies are getting their panties all in a bunch.

It's very unfortunate what happened and I miss him, but Cherepanov never played for the Rangers, neither did any of the Rangers players know him. Most casual fans only knew that we drafted him, and nothing after that.

It's a tiny bit callous, but Sather is only doing his job and trying to keep the team competitive.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Edge

The whole conversation goes back to the discussion we had when it first happened.

On one side of the coin there is the human factor, which in this case, is very tragic.

On the other side of the coin there is the hockey factor, which in this case, is a very big setback for an organization.

I don't think the Rangers are wrong to ask, fact of the matter is that it is a bit of uncharted territory. For some people, there would never be a good time to ask this question. Those people are going to be upset no matter what.

This could be a long process and asking 7 months prior to the draft isn't an unheard of concept.

As for the pick, I'd personally think any team who has a prospect die before signing or coming over should receive a comp. pick. Doesn't make sense to reward a team who makes a bad pick but then ignore a team who had a prospect die.

But that's a personal opinion and not a legal opinion. The unclear area is how this is interpretted legally.

But as always there will always be the people who will use this as a chance to "knock" another team. I tend to find that more disturbing than the Rangers request.

But arguing with a sport's fan is usually right up there with arguing with someone about religion or politics. They have so much emotion invested in it, that they just cannot handle a normal conversation.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:58 PM
jabberhockey

I suppose this means the Calgary Flames are eligible for compensation as a result of the death of Mickey Renaud last February.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 09:09 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckered View Post
I suppose this means the Calgary Flames are eligible for compensation as a result of the death of Mickey Renaud last February.
Except that the CBA has no provision for compensation of unsigned draft picks from any round but the first...

Old
11-07-2008, 09:16 PM
squishy

Quote:
The pick should be 2nd round and in 2009 since that is when we would lose Chere's rights.
Except that as it stands now, we WOULDN'T have lost his rights in 2009, because the NHL has decided to call every unsigned European draft pick a "defected player" and thus allow teams to hold on to their rights for as long as there is no international transfer agreement in place. If Cherepanov had not died, but decided to stay in Russia for another year, he would have been termed a "defected player" and the Rangers would have retained his rights. He wouldn't have gone back into the draft. But the Rangers appear to be ignoring this fact -- in this case anyway. They were more than happy to use the defected player status to retain the rights to David Kveton, who's rights should have expired last summer.

Old
11-08-2008, 01:33 AM
eco's bones

It needs to be kept in perspective that this is not the only tragedy the Rangers have been through. And it's not just what happened to Cherneski and Blackburn. Back in the 60's two road roommates Ron Stewart and Terry Sawchuk got into a fight and Sawchuk--who was at the end of the line but went to the HOF--fell and died from the accident. A few years ago we also had Roman Lyashenko's suicide. We were all shocked and saddened about Cherepanov but our relationship to him was tangential to say the least. None of us personally knew him. His family are the ones who really have to cope with it. And our team needs to move on as well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 06:29 AM
BDA

personally i think this should have been held behind closed doors and not leaked to the media, this only gives ranger haters more fuel for their fire...

secondly, i do not think the rangers should or would get the extra pick, by giving a extra pick it hurts the other teams who did not draft cherry.

BDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:10 AM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
...If the Rangers don't put the wheels in motion now they will not be compensated because the NHL will go out of it's way to make sure the Rangers get nothing unless the Rangers speak up for themselves...
With the Woody the league has for the Rangers (and the Duh-lans) you can rest assured they'll do everything in their power to thwart our, I'm assuming "good faith" effort to claim compensation for a (with my respect to the Cherepanov family) lost asset.

The 47th pick in a deep draft is very valuable. Why should the organization not find out what it is entitled to? But I gotta tell you, the Rangers and us fans are going to take a beating from others fans (especially on this board). So get ready.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:25 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The whole conversation goes back to the discussion we had when it first happened.

On one side of the coin there is the human factor, which in this case, is very tragic.

On the other side of the coin there is the hockey factor, which in this case, is a very big setback for an organization.

I don't think the Rangers are wrong to ask, fact of the matter is that it is a bit of uncharted territory. For some people, there would never be a good time to ask this question. Those people are going to be upset no matter what.

This could be a long process and asking 7 months prior to the draft isn't an unheard of concept.

As for the pick, I'd personally think any team who has a prospect die before signing or coming over should receive a comp. pick. Doesn't make sense to reward a team who makes a bad pick but then ignore a team who had a prospect die.

But that's a personal opinion and not a legal opinion. The unclear area is how this is interpretted legally.

But as always there will always be the people who will use this as a chance to "knock" another team. I tend to find that more disturbing than the Rangers request.

But arguing with a sport's fan is usually right up there with arguing with someone about religion or politics. They have so much emotion invested in it, that they just cannot handle a normal conversation.
Great post Edge.

BTW who'd ya vote for?

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA View Post
personally i think this should have been held behind closed doors and not leaked to the media, this only gives ranger haters more fuel for their fire...

secondly, i do not think the rangers should or would get the extra pick, by giving a extra pick it hurts the other teams who did not draft cherry.
first sentence, yes.

the second sentence: what?

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:05 PM
rangerfan_79

Send a message via Yahoo to rangerfan_79
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Except that as it stands now, we WOULDN'T have lost his rights in 2009, because the NHL has decided to call every unsigned European draft pick a "defected player" and thus allow teams to hold on to their rights for as long as there is no international transfer agreement in place. If Cherepanov had not died, but decided to stay in Russia for another year, he would have been termed a "defected player" and the Rangers would have retained his rights. He wouldn't have gone back into the draft. But the Rangers appear to be ignoring this fact -- in this case anyway. They were more than happy to use the defected player status to retain the rights to David Kveton, who's rights should have expired last summer.
I stand corrected...yes this was just recently changed.

So we still retain Chere's rights is your opinion on this? If not then I don't completely understand the reply. He definitely did not defect. The Rangers IMO are not ignoring the facts but some posters in this thread obviously are.

Is the arguement that they get a pick in a later year of none at all.

I am ok with being corrected and having a fellow fan talk smack about my favorite team but I would like to know your opinion on the matter.

rangerfan_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
Great post Edge.

BTW who'd ya vote for?
My favorite color has always been blue.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
GilliesGirlie

I'm curious has a ruling been made yet?

Someone posted in the thread on the main board that according to TSN's SportsCentre the NHL denied the Rangers request.

Anyone know?

Old
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBatesSBergenheim View Post
I'm curious has a ruling been made yet?

Someone posted in the thread on the main board that according to TSN's SportsCentre the NHL denied the Rangers request.

Anyone know?
A ruling isn't expected until the GM meetings in March.

Old
11-08-2008, 04:50 PM
squishy

Quote:
I stand corrected...yes this was just recently changed.

So we still retain Chere's rights is your opinion on this? If not then I don't completely understand the reply. He definitely did not defect. The Rangers IMO are not ignoring the facts but some posters in this thread obviously are.

Is the arguement that they get a pick in a
later year of none at all.

I am ok with being corrected and having a fellow fan talk smack about my favorite team but I would like to know your opinion on the matter.
Easy cowboy, there's no reason to get defensive. I wasn't talking smack, I was stating facts.

Fact is, the league has ruled that all unsigned European draftees are classified as "defected players" (see Larry Brooks' article from earlier this week where he reported that the league's decision was upheld by an arbiter). As "defected players", the teams that drafted them get to retain their rights for as long as there is no transfer agreement -- which could be a very, very long time. Had Cherepanov not died, and the Rangers not signed him by June 1st, contrary to what they are saying, they would not have lost his rights and he would not have be eligible to be re-drafted. And that's the whole premise behind their argument that they deserve compensation -- that they would have lost his rights and he would have gone back into the draft. As an unsigned European draft pick he would have been considered a "defected player" (according to the league, not because of anything he did or didn't do) and therefore the Rangers would have retained his rights.

This "defected player" status is exactly how the Rangers have retained David Kveton's rights... He didn't sign last summer, which for a North American draftee would have meant he was eligible to go back into the draft, but because he's European and there's no transfer agreement, the Rangers get to keep his rights. That's exactly what would have happened with Cherepanov this summer had he not died and not signed.

It seems like a double standard to me. They use "defected player status" to retain the rights of Kveton, but suddenly forget about it when it comes time to go looking for compensation for a dead 19-year old kid they spent next to no time or money developing... and do it before the grass has even had time to grow over his grave.

That last paragraph probably makes my opinion a little clearer. And for the record, I've supported this team for almost to 30 years now -- that doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they do.