HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Awarded 17th pick of the 2nd round in 2009 draft.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-08-2008, 05:13 PM
  #76
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
Except the Rangers, as a business, need to start planning now. I am sure these things take time to work their way through the various entities, and, frankly, I think it would be irresponsible of the team NOT to pursue the compensation pick.
This is a complete classless act. There is no need to defend the Rangers organization. He died on October 13th, its not even a full MONTH after the event of his death. The Rangers are already looking to capitalize on it.

And I have to ask you, how are you looking at this? As a 19-year old kid who died, his family and his team being devastated by this calamity OR as filthy corporate jack ass looking for a free draft pick? What if Jagr was still on the Rangers, do you think he'd be sitting around saying "Well, now we need to get our compensatory pick" NO! People with real emotion don't even look into such frivolous things. Hockey is both a business and a game. Work and sports should never cross into a a close, sensitive, personal zone and the Rangers just did that. Absolutely wrong, no way to justify it. It was done with neither ethic or morals.

"We understand that this is a sensitive issue, but with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year."

P.S. looking at the rule, 8.3(b) that... "refers compensation for an unsigned first-round draft pick who is again eligible for the Entry Draft or becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent"... Someone who is an unrestricted free agent? Not Cherapenov... Eligible for the Entry Draft? I don't see how. He is deceased!!! Give me a break NYR. That's not in the rule book as being eligible. NYR, this was a classless act.

Than in reference to that rule to say this in response "We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support" FU**ING CLASSLESS. So, the Rangers were hoping he would have been a vegetable to, without any shadow of a doubt, get a pick? NO ETHICS.

And I really have to question the morale and ethics of the organization or any person on this board, as to the quality human being you are, if you're really agreeing with what they did here.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:34 PM
  #77
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
This is a complete classless act. There is no need to defend the Rangers organization. He died on October 13th, its not even a full MONTH after the event of his death. The Rangers are already looking to capitalize on it.

And I have to ask you, how are you looking at this? As a 19-year old kid who died, his family and his team being devastated by this calamity OR as filthy corporate jack ass looking for a free draft pick? What if Jagr was still on the Rangers, do you think he'd be sitting around saying "Well, now we need to get our compensatory pick" NO! People with real emotion don't even look into such frivolous things. Hockey is both a business and a game. Work and sports should never cross into a a close, sensitive, personal zone and the Rangers just did that. Absolutely wrong, no way to justify it. It was done with neither ethic or morals.

"We understand that this is a sensitive issue, but with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year."

P.S. looking at the rule, 8.3(b) that... "refers compensation for an unsigned first-round draft pick who is again eligible for the Entry Draft or becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent"... Someone who is an unrestricted free agent? Not Cherapenov... Eligible for the Entry Draft? I don't see how. He is deceased!!! Give me a break NYR. That's not in the rule book as being eligible. NYR, this was a classless act.

Than in reference to that rule to say this in response "We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support" FU**ING CLASSLESS. So, the Rangers were hoping he would have been a vegetable to, without any shadow of a doubt, get a pick? NO ETHICS.

And I really have to question the morale and ethics of the organization or any person on this board, as to the quality human being you are, if you're really agreeing with what they did here.
You say the rangers are trying to capitlize and get an Extra Draft Pick. The way i see and most normal people see it is the rangers are attempting to plug a hole in a devestated farm system. IN the end we cant replace CHere as he was a special talent, but none the less,we need to explore option to replace him.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:36 PM
  #78
2 Late 2 Anton
Registered User
 
2 Late 2 Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 753
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
The way the hockey community (here especially, but the community in general) has responded to this is just despicable. Citing the Ranger's for being a callous organization, like Cherepanov's passing didn't matter to anyone, fans or Ranger's staff. Acting like no one associated with the Rangers felt bad, no fans, no scouts, no coaches, no players, none of them, or us (the fans) were upset by it. Thinking the Rangers staff and fans went "Oh, oh! We get the 47th overall pick in 2009 now!" when he passed, and that's how the Rangers community reacted to it. It's ****ing insulting. I got pissed and put a long-winded entry into my blag; http://loudceilingfans.com/?p=70

I tried to post it earlier but HFBoards kept timing out on me. It seems to do that on lengthy posts.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:46 PM
  #79
Ian
Mike York fan club
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mowinckel View Post
The way the hockey community (here especially, but the community in general) has responded to this is just despicable. Citing the Ranger's for being a callous organization, like Cherepanov's passing didn't matter to anyone, fans or Ranger's staff. Acting like no one associated with the Rangers felt bad, no fans, no scouts, no coaches, no players, none of them, or us (the fans) were upset by it. Thinking the Rangers staff and fans went "Oh, oh! We get the 47th overall pick in 2009 now!" when he passed, and that's how the Rangers community reacted to it. It's ****ing insulting. I got pissed and put a long-winded entry into my blag; http://loudceilingfans.com/?p=70

I tried to post it earlier but HFBoards kept timing out on me. It seems to do that on lengthy posts.
The Rangers could erect a bronze statue in his memory and people would complain that it wasn't gold. Just part of being a Rangers fan, dealing with the idiots.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:51 PM
  #80
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
You say the rangers are trying to capitlize and get an Extra Draft Pick. The way i see and most normal people see it is the rangers are attempting to plug a hole in a devestated farm system. IN the end we cant replace CHere as he was a special talent, but none the less,we need to explore option to replace him.
No. I understand going about the process. I don't understand how the Rangers handled it. It was done with no ethics. And technically, according to the rules, the Rangers will have to pull some strings for this to happen. We have plenty of young talent right now. The second youngest team in the NHL. After a young kid that just died, knowing the talented youth we already have, one of the last things I would do is release a press statement like that. It comes off as a classless act to Cherapenov, his memory, his family, friends, and team mates in Russia. I'm sorry, but if "normal" people can't see how poorly this was handled, once again I have to question the ethics and morals or lack there of that people on this board have. There are ways about going about doing things. How the Rangers did this was ethically wrong.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:57 PM
  #81
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mowinckel View Post
The way the hockey community (here especially, but the community in general) has responded to this is just despicable. Citing the Ranger's for being a callous organization, like Cherepanov's passing didn't matter to anyone, fans or Ranger's staff. Acting like no one associated with the Rangers felt bad, no fans, no scouts, no coaches, no players, none of them, or us (the fans) were upset by it. Thinking the Rangers staff and fans went "Oh, oh! We get the 47th overall pick in 2009 now!" when he passed, and that's how the Rangers community reacted to it. It's ****ing insulting. I got pissed and put a long-winded entry into my blag; http://loudceilingfans.com/?p=70

I tried to post it earlier but HFBoards kept timing out on me. It seems to do that on lengthy posts.
I read your "winded" response and well put. But like I said, there is a way to go about doing things, certain ways to handle situations, etc; and how the Rangers handled it is going to be considered "insulting" to a lot of people including myself and more importantly probably those family and friends of his. Now, a few weeks after his death, wasn't the time or the place. No way to ignore that. It was classless to release press statements like that directly after his death. A month hasn't even passed. I think his memory, family, and friends deserve a little more respect than having the Rangers assistant GM refer to him as being on life-reserve, speaking about him as if he is an object, just another person to draft, when its only been a few weeks. That, to me, is insulting. And I don't see how you don't understand that.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
  #82
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
No. I understand going about the process. I don't understand how the Rangers handled it. It was done with no ethics. And technically, according to the rules, the Rangers will have to pull some strings for this to happen. We have plenty of young talent right now. The second youngest team in the NHL. After a young kid that just died, knowing the talented youth we already have, one of the last things I would do is release a press statement like that. It comes off as a classless act to Cherapenov, his memory, his family, friends, and team mates in Russia. I'm sorry, but if "normal" people can't see how poorly this was handled, once again I have to question the ethics and morals or lack there of that people on this board have. There are ways about going about doing things. How the Rangers did this was ethically wrong.
I dont understand how they could have done it diffrently. If they didnt release a statement someone like Brooks caught wind of it, people would say they were being underhanded and sneaky.

Edit:
and while we have a good farm system, we do not have a top tier offensive prospect like Cherepanov was to us. Like it or not the rangers lost a valuable asset and they must do their best to replace it.

I guess there is no good way of doing it. But hockey is a business and if someone died at my company we wouldnt leave his or her chair empty. We'd pop out the resume's and hire someone to take that persons place. Its life. Its a crappy part of life, but life none the less.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 06:01 PM
  #83
Ian
Mike York fan club
 
Ian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
No. I understand going about the process. I don't understand how the Rangers handled it. It was done with no ethics. And technically, according to the rules, the Rangers will have to pull some strings for this to happen. We have plenty of young talent right now. The second youngest team in the NHL. After a young kid that just died, knowing the talented youth we already have, one of the last things I would do is release a press statement like that. It comes off as a classless act to Cherapenov, his memory, his family, friends, and team mates in Russia. I'm sorry, but if "normal" people can't see how poorly this was handled, once again I have to question the ethics and morals or lack there of that people on this board have. There are ways about going about doing things. How the Rangers did this was ethically wrong.
The point you are missing is that they had to suggest it at the GM Meetings that just passed, so that it could become a topic for discussion at the next meetings, which afaik take place in March. That is the last chance prior to the NHL draft.

It wouldn't matter what time of the year this happened, people would still complain, so I don't see what your point is. Even if it was a year from now, people would bash the Rangers for being insensitive.

This is exactly how they had to handle it, what else would you want them to do? Unless they brought it up now there was zero chance they could try to recoup a draft pick at any point, because I'd really doubt the NHL doing the Rangers any favors at this point.

And if you think the Rangers have plenty of young talent, I'm not sure what guys you are looking at. They have zero impact offensive prospects that aren't extreme longshots to impact the NHL roster.

Not to mention, the idea that the Rangers would just excuse the chance to get a pick because they have "young talent" is probably one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. It's a business, welcome to the sports world.

And again, this isn't a press release from the Rangers, read the initial article.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 06:58 PM
  #84
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The point you are missing is that they had to suggest it at the GM Meetings that just passed, so that it could become a topic for discussion at the next meetings, which afaik take place in March. That is the last chance prior to the NHL draft.

It wouldn't matter what time of the year this happened, people would still complain, so I don't see what your point is. Even if it was a year from now, people would bash the Rangers for being insensitive.

This is exactly how they had to handle it, what else would you want them to do? Unless they brought it up now there was zero chance they could try to recoup a draft pick at any point, because I'd really doubt the NHL doing the Rangers any favors at this point.

And if you think the Rangers have plenty of young talent, I'm not sure what guys you are looking at. They have zero impact offensive prospects that aren't extreme longshots to impact the NHL roster.

Not to mention, the idea that the Rangers would just excuse the chance to get a pick because they have "young talent" is probably one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard. It's a business, welcome to the sports world.

And again, this isn't a press release from the Rangers, read the initial article.
I'm sorry, but this is just laughable. I work at a bank, at one of the other branches a fellow co-worker just died of cancer, and there has been no word on a resume for "hiring help" in fact we started several fund raisers to throw a proper funeral for him. The extra work will come but to use that as an excuse that its just "business" shows me you don't have much heart. Sorry, its the truth. Tell his family its just "business." Sorry, but there are still ways to handle it. It would be as if Drury died and Sather said a week later "Let's trade for a center." Sorry, that wouldn't cut it. I feel sorry for you that you have to view life like that. Really I do. You're view of life, and a few others on this board, is not only pathetic but inhuman. Look at all of the families who have a father die over seas, families without a father, sure to them its just business, replace a soldier, but tell that to the family who has to suffer the rest of their life. It's the same principle. If it hit close to home you'd be singing a different tune. So don't give me this "It's business" ********. Because thats what you're spewing right now. A lot of ********.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:26 PM
  #85
Cat Herder
Formerly BigSensFan
 
Cat Herder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitby, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They signed their player and he at least played for them. We never signed ours.

We will get the pick. It's already assured, IMO.
The clause actually states the player that they could not sign has to "re-enter a subsequent draft"

IMO the Rangers are grasping at straws and this rule does not apply in this situation

Cat Herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 07:36 PM
  #86
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just laughable. I work at a bank, at one of the other branches a fellow co-worker just died of cancer, and there has been no word on a resume for "hiring help" in fact we started several fund raisers to throw a proper funeral for him. The extra work will come but to use that as an excuse that its just "business" shows me you don't have much heart. Sorry, its the truth. Tell his family its just "business." Sorry, but there are still ways to handle it. It would be as if Drury died and Sather said a week later "Let's trade for a center." Sorry, that wouldn't cut it. I feel sorry for you that you have to view life like that. Really I do. You're view of life, and a few others on this board, is not only pathetic but inhuman. Look at all of the families who have a father die over seas, families without a father, sure to them its just business, replace a soldier, but tell that to the family who has to suffer the rest of their life. It's the same principle. If it hit close to home you'd be singing a different tune. So don't give me this "It's business" ********. Because thats what you're spewing right now. A lot of ********.
1. You guys throwing a fundraiser to throw a proper funeral for your coworker is irrelevant to this conversation.

2.I think its more likely the reason they havent begun the search for a new employee has more to do with the economy than respect. I would almost being willing to bet that at a bank, there is a hiring freeze.

3. Its debatable whether the rangers should get the pick. Regardless its going to take atleast a year to figure it out which is why this was started now.

You need to calm down.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 08:47 PM
  #87
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
A ruling isn't expected until the GM meetings in March.
Which is about how much time (minimum) I would expect for it to take legally.

Thus the reason the Rangers asked now.

It should be noted that it wasn't the Rangers who leaked this to the media. The leak was done on purpose to incite some of the exact responses you see on here.

I've been around Public Relations and politics long enough to know when I see a planned leak.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:02 PM
  #88
NHLsnipers
Registered User
 
NHLsnipers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
This is a complete classless act. There is no need to defend the Rangers organization. He died on October 13th, its not even a full MONTH after the event of his death. The Rangers are already looking to capitalize on it.

And I have to ask you, how are you looking at this? As a 19-year old kid who died, his family and his team being devastated by this calamity OR as filthy corporate jack ass looking for a free draft pick? What if Jagr was still on the Rangers, do you think he'd be sitting around saying "Well, now we need to get our compensatory pick" NO! People with real emotion don't even look into such frivolous things. Hockey is both a business and a game. Work and sports should never cross into a a close, sensitive, personal zone and the Rangers just did that. Absolutely wrong, no way to justify it. It was done with neither ethic or morals.

"We understand that this is a sensitive issue, but with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year."

P.S. looking at the rule, 8.3(b) that... "refers compensation for an unsigned first-round draft pick who is again eligible for the Entry Draft or becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent"... Someone who is an unrestricted free agent? Not Cherapenov... Eligible for the Entry Draft? I don't see how. He is deceased!!! Give me a break NYR. That's not in the rule book as being eligible. NYR, this was a classless act.

Than in reference to that rule to say this in response "We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support" FU**ING CLASSLESS. So, the Rangers were hoping he would have been a vegetable to, without any shadow of a doubt, get a pick? NO ETHICS.

And I really have to question the morale and ethics of the organization or any person on this board, as to the quality human being you are, if you're really agreeing with what they did here.
Go cry about it some more. The Rangers are entitled to a pick. It sucks that the kid is dead, but this league is still a business and both the Rangers and the league need to go about it in a business sense.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 09:18 PM
  #89
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
I'm sorry, but if "normal" people can't see how poorly this was handled, once again I have to question the ethics and morals or lack there of that people on this board have. There are ways about going about doing things. How the Rangers did this was ethically wrong.
I think you assume quite a bit to judge people who don't agree with you.

Were you on the Rangers boards when it happened? If not, feel free to read the novella that this board wrote on the subject and the impact it had on the fans.

You think the Rangers were classless? Than I hope you never have to deal with the aftermath of losing someone close to you. Dealing with someone's debt, their insurance, their bills, their assets. Because if you think this is harsh, than you are going to be in for a shock.

Somone can mourn, lament and suffer a loss but that doesn't mean their aren't certain things in this world that you still have to deal with.

You can think what you want, but don't assume to know people's morals or feelings around here. You don't like the timing of the announcement, than go ahead and talk to the people who leaked it or the people who were looking for a "news item" to please their editor.

People mourn the loss of a young life and they shared their feelings with each other on here. They have discussed loss in their own life and written about their memories and hopes for Cherepanov. But there is also the uncomfortable side, which everyone always hesitates to bring up, about legalities and the organization's march forward. That's what this about. You want to read people's hearts? You're in the wrong thread.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:35 PM
  #90
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think you assume quite a bit to judge people who don't agree with you.

Were you on the Rangers boards when it happened? If not, feel free to read the novella that this board wrote on the subject and the impact it had on the fans.

You think the Rangers were classless? Than I hope you never have to deal with the aftermath of losing someone close to you. Dealing with someone's debt, their insurance, their bills, their assets. Because if you think this is harsh, than you are going to be in for a shock.

Somone can mourn, lament and suffer a loss but that doesn't mean their aren't certain things in this world that you still have to deal with.

You can think what you want, but don't assume to know people's morals or feelings around here. You don't like the timing of the announcement, than go ahead and talk to the people who leaked it or the people who were looking for a "news item" to please their editor.

People mourn the loss of a young life and they shared their feelings with each other on here. They have discussed loss in their own life and written about their memories and hopes for Cherepanov. But there is also the uncomfortable side, which everyone always hesitates to bring up, about legalities and the organization's march forward. That's what this about. You want to read people's hearts? You're in the wrong thread.
The fact that we have been discussing a potential draft pick over someone buried in the ground right now is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but I guess sports just aren't that important to me because I realize it's just a game.

I guess it doesn't matter if he died as long as we get that draft pick right? That will make me feel better. Because after all... IF he had "survived" that and was on life support, without the ability to play hockey in the future, we would have been 100% eligible for the pick but since he is dead and not on life support, we might as well go after that pick anyhow. It's just an inconvenience at this point because we have to go through these legalities. For that reason it is unfortunate that he died and was not on life support b/c the latter event would be more beneficial to the team. Is that the type of attitude you expect? Because thats what I get from this quote --> "We are not attempting to capitalize on a tragedy, but there would be no question regarding the Rangers' right to a compensatory pick if Cherepanov had been revived and survived the incident and were on life support." And you don't have a problem with how that was said or what it implied?

Whatever, that's fine. You guys are right. I'm wrong. And unfortunately I have had to deal with such calamities in life. But the first thing I'm thinking of when someone that close to me dies is not life insurance. And I don't even focus any real energy on it during the mourning process. But, if thats something you think of after someone dies, thats fine too. I suppose we are all different. I can't talk about this anymore because I have a hard time, talking about a 19-year old kid, like he's an object and not someone whom had a tremendously bright future.

And I'm sorry if I offended anyone, genuinely I did not mean it. But I can't stand how people can sit on their computers and discuss someone as almost if he was an object. It's a touchy subject, I didn't like what I read from the articles that surfaced, so therefore I wasn't happy with the end result, and I merely wasn't happy with how people were agreeing with it looking at it from the perspective as "well at least we get something."


Last edited by Fataldogg: 11-08-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:45 PM
  #91
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
It's horrible and it really sucks that Cherepanov died but we have to move on. We can't cry about it forever. We are entitled to a draft pick and we should seek what is rightfully ours. The Rangers are a business and they will do everything they can within the rules to fill the hole that is left in our farm system. This is a NEW YORK RANGERS message board. It's a place to discuss the Rangers and their team. If you don't agree with this line of thinking, you should choose not to respond and leave the thread.

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 11:56 PM
  #92
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
The fact that we have been discussing a potential draft pick over someone buried in the ground right now is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but I guess sports just aren't that important to me because I realize it's just a game.
Aye, there's the rub. To you and me, it's just a game. To Glen Sather and the New York Rangers, this is their livelihoods.

We're lucky that we have these people working hard for our entertainment, but it is presumptuous to think that they should not take their jobs as seriously as anyone who works in any other industry. It's fine that Slats takes it personally and mourns Cherepanov's passing but Glen Sather is responsible for a lot of people's jobs who work for the New York Rangers (and he, unlike you or me or almost any other Ranger fan, actually met Alexei Cherepanov, so he's much better clued in to the emotions surrounding this tragedy than we are).

Glenn Sather is, effectively, the CEO or perhaps the COO of New York Rangers, a company that employs hundreds of people. In another company, if a guy in middle management in has a tragic, they simply can't wait 4 months before naming his replacement. I think the Rangers brought this up now because this was when the opportunity for them to do so existed. If they could have waited longer, perhaps they would have (and should have) done so. However, as Edge and others have pointed out, it only makes sense to bring this up at the most recent GM's meeting. It might be a pity that it had to be so soon, but that was when the meeting was scheduled. These meetings do not happen very often, so when he had all his colleagues in one place, he had to take the opportunity to throw it out there. I don't know the language he used when he did it, but short of that, he did nothing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
And I'm sorry if I offended anyone, genuinely I did not mean it. But I can't stand how people can sit on their computers and discuss someone as almost if he was an object. It's a touchy subject, I didn't like what I read from the articles that surfaced, so therefore I wasn't happy with the end result, and I merely wasn't happy with how people were agreeing with it looking at it from the perspective as "well at least we get something."
On this part, I can sympathise with your emotions a bit better. After all, hockey is just a game to the vast majority of us here. All I can really say is that I feel that people are able to separate the "thing" in question(a 2nd round draft pick) from the young person who's tragic death led to the debate over this "thing". I think that it is fine to discuss what this 2nd rounder means for the team as a business and a form of entertainment, so long as you keep talking about that "thing" and don't disrespect Alexei Cherepanov or those who mourn him. It is important to stay aware of poor Alexei Cherepanov and how he will always be, perhaps slightly tenuously, linked to this organisation.


Last edited by 007: 11-09-2008 at 12:11 AM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
  #93
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Fact is, the league has ruled that all unsigned European draftees are classified as "defected players" (see Larry Brooks' article from earlier this week where he reported that the league's decision was upheld by an arbiter). As "defected players", the teams that drafted them get to retain their rights for as long as there is no transfer agreement -- which could be a very, very long time. Had Cherepanov not died, and the Rangers not signed him by June 1st, contrary to what they are saying, they would not have lost his rights and he would not have be eligible to be re-drafted. And that's the whole premise behind their argument that they deserve compensation -- that they would have lost his rights and he would have gone back into the draft. As an unsigned European draft pick he would have been considered a "defected player" (according to the league, not because of anything he did or didn't do) and therefore the Rangers would have retained his rights.
Brooks makes the "defected player" argument today in a far more concise manner than I was able to:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/11092008...cks_137811.htm

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
  #94
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I don't see how trying to get compensation for Cherepanov is any different than trying to get insurance money. It is not classless, it is a fact of life. This is not disrespectful, it is the real world. Nobody can replace Cherepanov as a human being, just like money does nto replace a deceased parent, sibling, spouse, partner or whomever is lost. However, it would be stupid to not try and get compensation, just as it would be stupid to not try and get insurance money when it is needed to pay the bills. C'est la vie.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 11:19 AM
  #95
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I don't see how trying to get compensation for Cherepanov is any different than trying to get insurance money. It is not classless, it is a fact of life. This is not disrespectful, it is the real world. Nobody can replace Cherepanov as a human being, just like money does nto replace a deceased parent, sibling, spouse, partner or whomever is lost. However, it would be stupid to not try and get compensation, just as it would be stupid to not try and get insurance money when it is needed to pay the bills. C'est la vie.
That is a fantastic comparison thanks AJ. Yea do you tell a widow shes a gold digger when she goes to cash in her husbands insurance?

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:12 AM
  #96
LetsGoBlueshirts
Registered User
 
LetsGoBlueshirts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Joisey
Country: United States
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
To me the move seemed heartless at first. But you have to realize hockey IS just a game to the fans. Hockey IS a business to the Rangers management. Their JOB is to keep fans in the stands. Part of that includes keeping the farm system as strong as possible. The fact is they lost their top prospect (albeit in a horrible way) and now the Rangers management must move on and consider other options. Its been a fair amount of time and I cannot fault someone for doing what their job entails.

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:18 AM
  #97
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,930
vCash: 500
I dont blame Sather and company for bringing this up at all. Its not like it came out of the blue, he raised the issue at a GMs meeting.

I just wish it didnt go public because it does nothing but give blowhards a reason to complain.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
  #98
Mrpuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East Coast
Country: United States
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
I'm not sure what would be acceptable to some people here. Did we have to wait a year for you to be "comfortable" with this? Would you rather us just not even try to get the pick?

In the end, the Rangers are a business and Sather is doing his job.
End of discussion really.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
  #99
asparkoflife
Registered User
 
asparkoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Patterson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I dont blame Sather and company for bringing this up at all. Its not like it came out of the blue, he raised the issue at a GMs meeting.

I just wish it didnt go public because it does nothing but give blowhards a reason to complain.

absolutely agree. The Rangers have to move forward here at some point. They deserve compensation according to the rules...granted this is a grey area a a bit with the circumstances, but I think they've gone about it in the right way.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 12:26 PM
  #100
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Too much of the line between personal and business is being blurred here.

Having to take certain legal steps does not mean that people aren't still mourning.

It is not one or the other.

One can genuinely be saddened by the loss of a life and still realize that, from a legal standpoint, a certain process has to begin.

Being in mourning for someone does not mean life as you know it stops and that nothing else gets done. Often times it is the unfortunate balance of trying to come to terms with a death while also trying to take care of everything that still moves forward in life.

Sather and company could be deeply affected by a situation, but the fact of the matter is that they still have a job to do. Their job shouldn't prevent them from mourning and mourning should not prevent them from doing their job.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.