HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Awarded 17th pick of the 2nd round in 2009 draft.

Old
11-10-2008, 02:35 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
some of you just don't get it at all. like any of us would rather have the 47th pick as opposed to having Cherry back.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:44 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
This is a complete classless act. There is no need to defend the Rangers organization. He died on October 13th, its not even a full MONTH after the event of his death. The Rangers are already looking to capitalize on it.
Not to pile on you Fataldogg, but I hardly see how getting a 2nd round pick for a stud of 1st round pick is capitalizing on his death.

When you consider the crap shoot that is the draft this is barely compensation at all…but this is what they are (possibly) entitled to.

The long and the short of this to me is that this is asset management for the NYR.

No one questions the loss of a human being here, but in the end we lost a prospect, an asset to the future of this team – you can’t ignore or deny that. It really doesn’t matter if we lost him to not signing him, defection, going to the KHL, injury or in this case death – the situation is the same.

EDIT: no really b'way blue I didn't see your post when I posted mine

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:04 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
They signed their player and he at least played for them. We never signed ours.

We will get the pick. It's already assured, IMO.
I think they need to have never signed him AND offered a contract. If they never offered him a contract they are SOL.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:26 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

The Cherepanov Rule?

Quote:
The NHL will be seeking approval from the NHL Players' Association to amend the collective bargaining agreement to allow for compensatory draft picks to be awarded in the event of the death of a player.

Russian prospect Alexei Cherepanov died during a KHL game last October and the Rangers, who selected him in the first round of the 2007 draft, raised the issue with the league. If the NHLPA signs off on it, a team would receive a second-round pick if one of their prospects dies before signing a contract with the NHL club.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
"a team would receive a second-round pick if one of their prospects dies before signing a contract with the NHL club."

Fortunately this doesn't happen that often, but am I to understand that a team would get a 2nd round pick regardless of what round the deceased player was drafted in?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
"a team would receive a second-round pick if one of their prospects dies before signing a contract with the NHL club."

Fortunately this doesn't happen that often, but am I to understand that a team would get a 2nd round pick regardless of what round the deceased player was drafted in?
1st round draft picks are the only round protected by compensatory picks. This is good news, albeit under most difficult circumstances. What iut means is that the league is aligned behind the Rangers proposal. I see no reason why the NHLPA wouldn't agree to go along.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
1st round draft picks are the only round protected by compensatory picks. This is good news, albeit under most difficult circumstances. What iut means is that the league is aligned behind the Rangers proposal. I see no reason why the NHLPA wouldn't agree to go along.
I'm somewhat curious to know if Sather was more willing to part with a 2nd round pick knowing this was going to be brought up...especially with the possibility that this pick, (the 47th), could potentially be better than the one he dealt to Toronto.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I'm somewhat curious to know if Sather was more willing to part with a 2nd round pick knowing this was going to be brought up...especially with the possibility that this pick, (the 47th), could potentially be better than the one he dealt to Toronto.
It had to have at the very least been in his mind. By trading deadline day he had to have at least known this could be happening, and having an extra 2nd rounder to work with would be key.

That said, let's hope we never have to see this rule implemented ever again.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
It had to have at the very least been in his mind. By trading deadline day he had to have at least known this could be happening, and having an extra 2nd rounder to work with would be key.

That said, let's hope we never have to see this rule implemented ever again.
Completely agree. Very interesting to know though, and I'm quite sure Sather was aware of it when dealing this year. We essentially end up with Antropov for free, but still end up losing a great person and an amazing prospect.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:07 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I can understand where Sather is coming from though (he is part of a professional business and he has to do whats best)...but as just a fan, I really don't care at this point about this certain topic.
It's come up a couple times and a few months back on TV (TSN or VS). I totally agree. As Fans, lets leave this be. Let Slats do what he must as a businessman.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
eco's bones

I think it's fair and if it had been any other teams 1st rounder instead of Cherepanov I think it would be fair for them to have been compensated just the same.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:08 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

This might be one case where Glen having lots of friends (i.e. Burke, Risebrough, Maloney, Lowe etc.) may definitely worked in his favor.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

I wonder if a GM would become popular if he drafted just about any sick kid on a deathbed with a 7th round pick just to get a 2nd round pick the year after...

(but I think it would just apply to the 1st round)

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:23 PM
Hockey2000nyr

its very sad that chere passed away, but the team just lost one of its elite talents from the farm, and i think its only right that the rangers get compensation. if it was up to me any player that passes away before they play a certain amount of nhl games, that team should get compensation (of course 1st round picks only) (ie. Luc Bourdon)

Hockey2000nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Ice Hockey

read under the caption:

"Glen Sather says the Rangers should receive the 17th selection in the second round of next June's draft of the next NFL Draft as compensation for losing Alexei Cherepanov, who passed away last month during a game in Russia."

Ice Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:21 PM
ANTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
read under the caption:

"Glen Sather says the Rangers should receive the 17th selection in the second round of next June's draft of the next NFL Draft as compensation for losing Alexei Cherepanov, who passed away last month during a game in Russia."
LMAO

ANTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 08:28 PM
azrok22

On the bright side, we can probably get a better prospect with the 17th pick in the second round of the NFL draft than Hugh Jessiman...

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:25 PM
mti79

Quote:
read under the caption:

Awesome... maybe we can get that linebacker we need so that someone plays physical in front of Hank...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:38 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
read under the caption:

And the New York Rangers select, from Rutgers University, Kenny Britt!

"He's a big man with elite hands. Fast and smart. He will be our down-ice threat." - Glen Sather

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
In other business, the NHL will be seeking approval from the NHL Players' Association to amend the Collective Bargaining Agreement to allow for compensatory draft picks to be awarded in the event of the death of a player. This became an issue after Russian prospect Alexei Cherepanov died and the New York Rangers raised the issue with the league. If the NHLPA signs off on it, a team would receive a second round pick if one of their prospects dies before signing a contract with the NHL club.
http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=270631

Brooksie quoted Bill Daly last November

Quote:
"At this point, the league has taken no position on the Rangers' request," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told The Post. "The matter is in front of the league's general managers, who will address the subject at their next meeting in March.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11062008...ect_137397.htm

Why wouldn't the NHLPA sign off on it?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I can't wait to hear the *****ing and moaning on the main board.Brian Burke buys a 4th round pick from TB for $500,000.TB is dumping salary to get to the threshold where they can receive revenue sharing.Nashville is planning to buy their own tickets to qualify for revenue sharing.Phoenix is getting advances on their revenue sharing payments.The Rangers getting a compensatory pick will attract every douschebag who is capable of remembering his user name and password.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I can't wait to hear the *****ing and moaning on the main board.Brian Burke buys a 4th round pick from TB for $500,000.TB is dumping salary to get to the threshold where they can receive revenue sharing.Nashville is planning to buy their own tickets to qualify for revenue sharing.Phoenix is getting advances on their revenue sharing payments.The Rangers getting a compensatory pick will attract every douschebag who is capable of remembering his user name and password.

One of the reasons I hate this board sometimes.

Debby and Fishy fans will be whining like mad.

Get ready for the **** storm.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 10:57 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
fixed

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:48 PM
The Thomas J.*

I guess this was the thinking allong in trading of the 2nd round pick for Antrapov, Sather knew he would get it back. Shrewd, very shrewd.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I guess this was the thinking allong in trading of the 2nd round pick for Antrapov, Sather knew he would get it back. Shrewd, very shrewd.
Thats pretty ****ing clever if true