HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do you think about Eminger

Old
11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Sec201

vCash: 500
What do you think about Eminger

All right, I know I have read it in some other posts already but I thought a seperate post might be interesting. Personally I think he is a bust. I know that it is young in the season and that maybe the coaching is not the best and maybe he doesn't have the best linemates, but how many excuses can we make? One on one a couple times last night and it looked like someone had tied his skate laces together. Am I missing something with this guy? I would rather take my chances with Kukkonen then have this guy taking up a roster spot when Jones and Parent come back. And yes I know he was taken in the first round, but so was Joni Pitkanen and we all know how he turned out.

Sec201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:55 AM
BringBackStevens

He looks good overall but has too many moments where he just royally screws up. Wish he would stop with those, he would be a good player.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
mercury

He's not that great, but he's better than Alberts, and he has the potential to be better than Kukkonen. Three years ago, Randy Jones was not even a very good AHL player. He has time to turn it around.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
I'd rather have Eminger out there than Alberts. He plays decent some nights, but if we could trade him in a package deal for a d-man, good riddance.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Kaktus*

Inconsistent like the rest of them.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Sec201

I totally agree he is better then alberts, but we brought this guy in thinking he would be like a #3 or #4 defenseman. I think he needs to step it up. Even on special teams, I have seen him fail countless times to hold the puck in the zone on a simple play that Jones was doing last year and that Coburn and Timmonen do this year.

Sec201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I don't care if he's better than Alberts. He stinks.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:02 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Not worth the 1st round pick.
Not by a long shot.
We should have hung onto that pic and parlayed it into J-Bo.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:05 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I don't care if he's better than Alberts. He stinks.
Stinks on ice.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:09 PM
SaveByHexy

I would rather we had used our pick on Markstrom or McCollum, so there would finally be a light at the end of the tunnel of our goaltending situation...

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:14 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Hes good but definitely not worth the 1st rd pick we gave up for him

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:24 PM
DUHockey9

Didn't we also get a 3rd along with him? So technically we moved down 2 rounds and picked up Eminger?

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yes, let's all dump on the guy after 12 games when we have one of the top-5 worst coaches in the league.

Eminger is not a particularly smart player, that much is obvious. What he needs is a system that minimizes mistakes. A smart d-man like Kimmo will know what to do even when the system consists of throwing **** at a wall. A not-smart d-man like Eminger is going to have no ****ing idea what to do which is why we see all these royal screwups.

We aren't going to know how good or bad our defense is until Holmgren grows a pair.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:40 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
It's obvious that the loss of Parent and Jones is really hurting this team. Which leads to my question, if the need is so obvious for defense, why is Homer so gung ho about signing a forward? He should be getting the Flyers help on the backend, not on the forward end.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

We need Markov.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yes, let's all dump on the guy after 12 games when we have one of the top-5 worst coaches in the league.

Eminger is not a particularly smart player, that much is obvious. What he needs is a system that minimizes mistakes. A smart d-man like Kimmo will know what to do even when the system consists of throwing **** at a wall. A not-smart d-man like Eminger is going to have no ****ing idea what to do which is why we see all these royal screwups.

We aren't going to know how good or bad our defense is until Holmgren grows a pair.
Agreed. Eminger to me looks like one of those guys that needs someone like Hitchcock to really teach him fundamentals and play a system that masks the limitations of some of the players. Remember how much better Pitkanen looked under Hitch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
It's obvious that the loss of Parent and Jones is really hurting this team. Which leads to my question, if the need is so obvious for defense, why is Homer so gung ho about signing a forward? He should be getting the Flyers help on the backend, not on the forward end.
I am sorry, I have said it 100 times and I will say it again. Randy ****ing Jones and a rookie will not solve the problems this team has on defense.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 12:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
We need Markov.
I would love to have Markov....Either one of them

Old
11-07-2008, 01:12 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Apparently Eminger cant skate either.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 01:57 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal
I think Holmgren realizes that theres problems with this team beyond just our personnel on the backend (Stevens). He needs to be very careful and not blow his load on a player and create even more problems. I see no way that Holmgren actually believes Stevens is the answer, i think he is overly loyal and feels like he needs to give him a fair shot to turn it around, before pulling the trigger. After that point, if we are still struggling then i believe he may go for a significant move to bolster the defense. It's just plainly obvious that we can't give a fair evaluation to a lot of players on this roster under Stevens. It's simply a cluster**** out there night in and night out

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
way to early to judge him. its only been 12 games. Like just about every other player on this team he has had his ups and downs. When Parent and Jones get back I think he will be a solid bottom pairing defenseman.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAVgal View Post
I think he is interested in Shanny more for the vet leadership he brings. I am sure he is aware this team needs defense, but I imagine it's tough to find a dman that would come in and make an immediate impact at this point in the season.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Eminger has had games where he shows that he can play the game, but he is inconsistent.

But, who hasn't been inconsistent for the Flyers this year? Coburn has had off games, Alberts, the beloved Sbisa, Lupul, everyone except for maybe Carter and Gagne.

Give the guy a break, alot of the Flyers are not playing like they should be right now.

Yertle The Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:08 PM
thedjpd

What's funny about these comments about Eminger is that Coburn has been brutal the first 13 games of the season also - pretty much as bad - and even started off this way when we acquired him last year.

Everybody was patient with Coburn, but are ready to throw Eminger under the bus.

The hyprocrisy is amusing.

To the OP, Eminger has been decent. Started off bad, had several pretty great games in a row, then threw a stinker last one. But, then again, the whole team did, so I don't know why he gets all the blame for inconsistency when it's obviously a team-wide issue.

Usually, inconsistency is something most young players have - Coburn included, as we're seeing - that they will usually grow out of. Eminger will be a player, maybe not an elite one, but a good one. However, he needs a coach to show him how to play at the NHL level. Stevens isn't putting him in a position to succeed right now, but there are bigger issues with the team than Eminger, that's for sure.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:20 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
What's funny about these comments about Eminger is that Coburn has been brutal the first 13 games of the season also - pretty much as bad - and even started off this way when we acquired him last year.

Everybody was patient with Coburn, but are ready to throw Eminger under the bus.

To the OP, Eminger has been decent. Started off bad, had several pretty great games in a row, then threw a stinker last one. But, then again, the whole team did, so I don't know why he gets all the blame for inconsistency when it's obviously a team-wide issue.

Usually, inconsistency is something most young players have - Coburn included, as we're seeing - that they will usually grow out of. Eminger will be a player, maybe not an elite one, but a good one. However, he needs a coach to show him how to play at the NHL level. Stevens isn't putting him in a position to succeed right now, but there are bigger issues with the team than Eminger, that's for sure.
Well said

Old
11-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post

Coburn had a few off-nights (Edmonton game in particular), but to say that he was just as bad as Eminger isn't doing him justice. I'm obviously not saying he's been at his best to start the season, but on most nights he can play great, two-way hockey for 25 minutes.

Eminger just isn't contributing to the team. For "offensive defenseman" he isn't creating much for the forwards to work with, yet Stevens has been giving him more and more PP time. Defensively, he is often out of position an making blunders.

I don't think he will hurt the team as a bottom-pairing guy. However, he's more of a plug-in player and we gave up a 1st to get him.

EDIT: Also, for us to "give him a break" he has to prove that he can be useful to begin with. He hasn't been great for the Flyers and he was bad for the Caps. The most frequent defense I hear for him is that Homer spent a first round pick to get him, so he saw some potential in him. That doesn't cut it for me.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote