HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Equipment smell

Old
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
MikeD

vCash: 500
The smell is NOT part of the game. Look at any of your semi and pro teams...do they make you eyes start to water when they pass by? HELL NO! Their gear is well maintained. LAZYness and general scumbaggery is the main reason for gear smelling so bad. Seconday is a lack of knowledge on exactly how to maintain clean gear, safely.

One of these days I am going to get hte connection to put my camera to a microscope and show you kids exactly what your wearing around when your gear is reeking to high heaven. In the mean time, you can check it out for yourselves. Take a glove or other stanky item to science lab. With distilled water, run some through the item. Take a few drops with a sterile dropper and make a slide. Now look at it under a 'scope. Bet you run home and wash your gear yourself! You WILL see everything from Staph, Molds, Fungus etc etc etc.....

Staph...fear it.

So far, the tally is 12 boys age 12-15 who have died of MRSA Staph infection believed to be related to lack of cleaning hteir sports equipement. Not only do you put yourself at risk, you put your friends, family and classmates at risk. Your gear abraids the skin, allowing MRSA staph and other critters an entry point into the body where they can become an invasive infection. Word to the wise....if you see ANY type of skin sore, swelling/redness around a wound....seek medical help ASAP. Waiting could cost you your life. This also applies to bruises. One that begins to swell with redness spreading from it can be the onset of flesh eating disease. Most who experience this have suffered a blunt force trauma, carry the bacteria and the injury gives it access to the facia(white tubular structured film covering muscles). Rapid diagnosis and treatment is the key to a full recovery.

Last edited by MikeD: 11-11-2008 at 07:12 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 07:00 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I found a trick that works gloves, simply from boredom. Microwave them, then put them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. I can't explain exactly why, but it works really well.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:14 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Do you have one of those Shock Doctor bags? I just picked one up, but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. It's still wet after games. How do you have the gear laid out?

I know the kicker is to start with clean gear, and I do wash my stuff somewhat regularly like you do (in a tub with detergent). But it would be really nice not to have to spread my gear all over the place, especially since I'm getting an apartment with my girlfriend and probably won't be able to take up an entire room with the stuff anymore.
I sort it with one side upper body, one side lower body.

Side one from left-middle-right (outsides are interchangeable)
Helmet - Shoulder pads (standing up with elbow pads inside) - Gloves

Side two
Shinpads (standing either side by side or stacked) - Pants (lying on the side) - Skates (pointing up)

Usually works well. Make sure the two buttons on the unit are pressed in (the green and red one, they'll light up). Those are for heat and ozone. Make sure to run it for all three hours.

One time I tried it outside and the stuff was still wet, I usually do it inside. You can tell it's working when it's inside because it makes the whole room stink. So make sure to put it in a room where you know no one is going to be for the next three hours. You can also try it outside, although in the winter/colder months I don't know how well it will do.

During the warmer months I usually just put it in a room, close the door and open a window.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****

If you have room in your basement then put up a 6-7 hooks in your basement wall. As soon as you get home (preferebly when the stuff is still wet) hang it up on the hooks. Set up a rotating fan that reaches all of the equipment and a dehumidifier. Keep the fan on 24 hours a day. Works like magic. Will also work in your garage.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthliner View Post
I found a trick that works gloves, simply from boredom. Microwave them, then put them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes. I can't explain exactly why, but it works really well.
Just a quick heads-up, I tried this with my Sande gloves and it was a bigtime mistake. The microwave caused the palms to seize up and contract a ton, and once they cooled off the material became so rigid that it started to crack. The gloves (well, glove since I could only fit one in the microwave at a time) are currently unusable. You live, you learn, I guess.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Owen Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
NOOOOOOO....

On your own, mix a solution of 3 parts distilled or tap water (Distilled is best) to one part Rubbing alcohol. DO NOT USE BLEACH or AMMONIA. Bleach will damage the gear and ammonia will confuse any pets you have around the house. They will start to urinate on the gear....

3 cups water to one cup Isopropyl (wood/rubbing) alcohol. Put in a sprayer with a fine mist nozzle. Mist odered gear heavily inside and out and let dry. Repeat several times and it should get rid of it. then mist after each ice time to keep it under control. This same mixture placed an doubled ziplock freezer bags also makes a great ice pack. Forms a "slush" that conforms well to hard to ice areas such as an ankle/wrist and such....
This works great (haven't tried the ice pack - good idea). I've told the parents on my goalie's team about this, and only one has actually tried it, and many are still buying every spray they can find, most of which don't work well. Water+Alcohol+regular room fan = no smell.

Owen Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:58 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Money View Post
This works great (haven't tried the ice pack - good idea). I've told the parents on my goalie's team about this, and only one has actually tried it, and many are still buying every spray they can find, most of which don't work well. Water+Alcohol+regular room fan = no smell.
Makes sense, the alcohol kills off the bacteria that causes the scent. Sprays just mask it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote