HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TRADE: Flyers trade Downie, Eminger & a 4th for Matt Carle & 3rd Round Pick

Old
11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Let's reorganize this post, just to highlight its inherent awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Funny how you are just totally incapable of admitting you've been wrong. I just enjoying seeing how far you'll take it to avoid saying the words "I was wrong" and you never disappoint.
I said in response to you:

Quote:
i didn't expect them to win the WS...shocking island i was on there.
Yeah, really dodged admitting I was wrong about that Phils team. ****, I explicitly said I was wrong. I'll just assume you didn't read what I wrote.

Quote:
Meh, I said they would need to work to get it and up to that point, they weren't working and they obviously assumed the wins were just going to happen. Once the offense finally showed slight consistency and guys came to play every night, they started winning some big games.
However, the inherent hypocrisy of that post was simply fantastic following this opening salvo concerning their consistent routine as a second half team.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Opus

This thread is jokes.

Special thanks to Jester for making it an enjoyable read.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:27 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
This thread is jokes.

Special thanks to Jester for making it an enjoyable read.
I'm not sure if he realizes when I'm just messing with him, it's like watching a turtle lock itself up in its shell.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:05 PM
sg12lw

dont remember reading anything about brieres defense when he carried us down the stretch and through the playoffs last year. now we have a rough start and its back to the trade danny ideas

we miss him on the pp right now...hes the only true set up guy we have...maybe richards, but hes not nearly as skilled with the puck as danny is. i have never seen a guy that is so slippery with the puck on the wall and behind the net as briere. he flat out creates chances and thats what you need to score. i am glad he his locked up for 7 years, bc hes exciting to watch and him and gags will run show.

i also remember everyone here asking to trade gagne over the summer and during last season too, bc everyone thought he was done...i dont see that now though do i?? this board is very fickle

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:03 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Ugh, you are aware that averages are NOT affected by injuries in that games missed (and therefore zeros) are not counted.

Also, Richards was injured last year.
I am.

I know.

I was talking about Briere's latest injury when he left the game early. It skews his TOI average.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:21 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Briere averaged more minutes than Richards last year? Check again. Mike Richards played 21.30 a game, the only player on the team that played more every game was Timonen. This makes sense because they are by far our two most effective players.
Richards averages less time a game at center than Briere and Carter. You're the one that needs to check again.
Quote:
Unlikely, because if you dump two players you have to replace them with two players. Especially when JVR is coming in (on the wing) anyway.
They can already replace Jones and Lupul with cheaper players already in the organization. Briere would also need to be replaced...
Quote:
Demitra is making $4M this year...he's not exactly cheap. And we can't really sign "better" players than someone like Metro, we don't have the cap space...and even if you move someone like Lupul, the gains are negligible unless you want to get rid of JVR.
As good as they are, Demitra and Sykora are both bargains at their current salaries. The point I made, that you ignored, was instead of signing players like Umberger, Lupul, and Upshall to long-term inflated contracts, it might make more sense to sign veterans like I mentioned to cap friendly short-term contracts. The Flyers have their core group of forwards under contract long-term.
Quote:
Why is our PP so important? Because we absolutely blow at even strength play. A PP should be a sugar coating to your team, not the determining factor in your ability to compete. Part of that is on Stevens and the idiocy that is our team scheme, but regardless of scheme....that's how the value of Briere works out specifically. PP is everything.
Are you seriously going to attempt to argue that the PP is not important? The way penalties are called these days, special teams are not something that should be ignored.
Quote:
It was an excuse for Carter's struggles offensively, not his atrocious defensive play (which he improved by leaps and bounds last year). Again, Briere put up the 2nd most points in his career last year. He's unlikely to necessarily go over that level to any exceptional degree. He would have had to score 22 more even strength points last year in order to break even.
How does that refute "consistency is necessary for defense"?

Briere has already gone well over his second best season, he actually did it the year before his second best season. He also switched teams between those seasons.
Quote:
There's no such thing as "good" or "bad" playoff performers. That's the very essence of the problem when people look at playoff stats. You are what you are.
And Briere is a ppg player in the playoffs. That's pretty good in my book.
Quote:
Richards, Carter, and then one of those guys...we're a better team. Richards' offensive surge has made Briere an unnecessary evil, it's really that simple. If Briere, when he gets back, can get himself to being an even player at even strength...then he's not a problem out there and is a truly valuable player on the team. However, he hasn't shown that yet and until he does, he remains an expensive liability in 75% of game situations.
There's nothing evil about Briere, if there was, Gagne would not be on his line. And it's far from that simple. +/- isn't helping you at all either. 75%, really? How exactly did you arrive at that number? He's not playing defense the entire time he's skating at ES.

Old
11-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Richards averages less time a game at center than Briere and Carter. You're the one that needs to check again.
Yes, he played his powerplay time on the point. What difference does it make? He's still on the ice more.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

So how bout Carl guys? haha instead of taking over Carl's thread just go make another "Briere Debate" thread. I do side on the idea of keeping Briere (even if we have to). I like him and hate the hate he gets.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:29 PM
blah

The Flyers lead the league in Hott Carle, what's left to discuss about the trade?

Old
11-20-2008, 11:49 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Yes, he played his powerplay time on the point. What difference does it make? He's still on the ice more.
Briere has been consistently third in even strength ice-time behind Carter and Richards dating back to last spring (check out the playoff minutes). So, the PP isn't even relevant. In fact, it's especially irrelevant since Briere and Richards are on the ice at the same time and trade taking draws...

Quote:
even strength ice time:
TB - Carter, Briere, Richards
SJ - Richard, Briere, Carter
SJ - Carter, Briere, Richards
COL - Carter, Richards, Briere
PIT - Richards, Carter, Briere
MON - Carter, Briere, Richards
NYR - Richards, Carter, Briere

In games Briere has played (outside of the NYI game), Mike Richards has led centers in even strength minutes three times, and Jeff Carter four times.

However, your point is even more flawed because on the PK...you need a center out there, someone is taking draws. Someone is playing center.

Quote:
I was talking about Briere's latest injury when he left the game early. It skews his TOI average.
Not when we're talking about last year...and in a 79 game sample, you would be talking about a tiny blip.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:19 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
So how bout Carl guys? haha instead of taking over Carl's thread just go make another "Briere Debate" thread. I do side on the idea of keeping Briere (even if we have to). I like him and hate the hate he gets.
9th in the league in blocked shots ain't so bad. He's had 20 since he came here, so let's hope that's not a sporadic thing.

Old
11-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
9th in the league in blocked shots ain't so bad. He's had 20 since he came here, so let's hope that's not a sporadic thing.
Like the Lupul hitting thing.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:03 PM
MsWoof

Just heard that Downie has been suspended for 3 games by the AHL for a hit from behind. It was reported on The Fan 590 in Toronto.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Just heard that Downie has been suspended for 3 games by the AHL for a hit from behind. It was reported on The Fan 590 in Toronto.
Sigh......

It's up on the Norfolk home page now, too.

http://www.norfolkadmirals.com/relea...y1.php?id=1221

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
The one thing that I'm finding extremely funny about this Downie suspension, is unless you know about it and are looking for articles on it, I haven't seen anything posted on here about it yet. Not under TB's page, not under the AHL page, nowhere. Had he still been playing for Philly, everyone would've found out about it right away and it'd be everywhere.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Opus

Seems like nothing is going to change for Downie. Thru 2 periods in his first game with the Lightning, he has 5:02 minutes of ice time. Least amount for all players.

Of note, Eminger leads all Lightning players with 17:24 minutes of play (thru 2 periods)

Old
11-28-2008, 04:06 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Eminger with 6 points in 9 games for Tampa, and he's been a plus player. Everyone can stop mocking the Lightning and acting like we robbed them blind.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:08 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPrinceOfBriere View Post
Eminger with 6 points in 9 games for Tampa, and he's been a plus player. Everyone can stop mocking the Lightning and acting like we robbed them blind.
If only Eminger had played like this when he played here he'd still have a job with the Flyers.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
If only Eminger had played like this when he played here he'd still have a job with the Flyers.
Makes you wonder why the difference. I just like how people laughed at Tampa for this trade, and it's working out quite nicely for them.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Totally Radivojevic

The Lightning fans are raving about Downie so far, already demanding he stay up and get more ice time.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Opus

Quote:
The Lightning fans are raving about Downie so far, already demanding he stay up and get more ice time.
With only 6:05 (least amount for the entire team), it shouldn't be that difficult to give him more ice time.

I don't see anybody raving, where do you see this?

Old
11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
FlyHigh

He's just determined to hate the trade, just let it go I guess. I should add that he thinks Sbisa and Parent are "2-way" top-4 d-men.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Totally Radivojevic

game thread

Old
11-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
He's just determined to hate the trade, just let it go I guess. I should add that he thinks Sbisa and Parent are "2-way" top-4 d-men.
way to make that up. go ahead, find me where i said parent is a 2 way defenseman. you probably won't be able to, because i said he's never going to produce much on offense.

Old
11-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Opus

Quote:
game thread
Sorry mate, I didn't see raving in there.

Do you consider THIS, raving...

Quote:
Nice try Downie.
Quote:
VERY impressed with Eminger and Downie today as well.
Quote:
Downie better stay up.