HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Dipietro situation

Old
11-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Mets09

vCash: 500
Dipietro situation

hey i was just wondering from other fans... since Dipietro signed thats record 15 year deal with us hes been hurt every year into that contract and this year it seems even more bigger. with all the probelsm hes having with his knee(s) and his hip is there any chance that he can still be the all star goalie that hes suppose to be? So i just wanted to ask other fans that well i would buy out his 15 year contract and then sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal to make sure that he can remain healthy.

Mets09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mets09 View Post
hey i was just wondering from other fans... since Dipietro signed thats record 15 year deal with us hes been hurt every year into that contract and this year it seems even more bigger. with all the probelsm hes having with his knee(s) and his hip is there any chance that he can still be the all star goalie that hes suppose to be? So i just wanted to ask other fans that well i would buy out his 15 year contract and then sign him to a 2 or 3 year deal to make sure that he can remain healthy.
i dont think he can be a star anymore.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:09 PM
OlTimeHockey

If you leased a warehouse to open up a business and the warehouse was key and you had the foundation crack repeatedly having to sink money into repairing it, had support trusts buckle making it unuseable until you fixed the trusts and dpent all this money on it in the first four years of your lease......can you use the warehouse?

Of course.

But it's likely going to have several other key structural issues (wall collapse? Foundation crack many more times? roof collapse?) on the way and it's going to severely hamper your business.

Does one get another facility because the first one cannot be relied on, either temporary until it's safe or a new one and buy out the lease on the first?

Rick is a jalopy, but it's eiter going to be a gamble on his being "fixed" after the latest major surgery or a gamble on his never being what he could be and we buy him out.

I count on him being here long term. I hate it, but he's not going anywhere and Rick will be wheelchaired into the net if that's what it takes.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
CrimsonBruin21

A very clouded picture at this point in time. He obviously needs some substantial time off. Right now I'd be pleasantly surprised if somewhere over his career he puts it all together in the playoffs ONCE and carries the team a few rounds. That's right- the gauntlet has been dropped... can "Mr. 15 Year Plan" equal the exploits of Glenn Healy?

That of course involves him getting healthy AND the team making the playoffs.

CrimsonBruin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 12:33 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtown31 View Post
A very clouded picture at this point in time. He obviously needs some substantial time off. Right now I'd be pleasantly surprised if somewhere over his career he puts it all together in the playoffs ONCE and carries the team a few rounds. That's right- the gauntlet has been dropped... can "Mr. 15 Year Plan" equal the exploits of Glenn Healy?

That of course involves him getting healthy AND the team making the playoffs.

For you Rick:

We all want you better, see?

Old
11-08-2008, 01:25 PM
hgo

Buying out Rick now means you have to deal with a cap hit of half his salary for the next twenty-four years. He isn't going to be bought out.

hgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2008, 01:31 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
So you think it's a smart financial decision for Wang to buy IRicky out - paying him $2.75m a year for the next 24 years - and then re-sign him for good measure?! *head explodes*

11-08-2008, 02:05 PM
MarinerIslanderSean

The issue of Rick remaining long-term is going to depend on him taking the action to retire due to injury if, at some point, he is forced to come to grips with reality after a few more surgeries. How many surgeries will it take? Who knows, but he's had about five or six so far. At some point, something will have to give, and he will still pocket the $67.5M in full from insurance for retiring due to injury.

I don't think many of us hold out much faith that he won't need another surgery six months down the line, then another six months after that, etc. It would be a foolhardy move to buy the guy out when it could well come down to a 30 year-old Rick eventually tapping out and deciding it's just not worth it. If he gets only twenty games this year and 20-30 next, what is the dialogue between his ego and his brain? My faith in his ability to salvage his career with a few years of durability is almost non-existent at this point.

My main concern is that the financial commitment to Rick pushes away a more capable goalie down the line in 4-5 years. Supposing Ridderwall, Weslosky, Poulin, or some wonderkid amounts to reliability in performance and health between the pipes and Rick is still hanging on to survive two-thirds of every season before succumbing, what does management do? That is my number one concern here with the future. Whether or not Rick is healthy, they will still be developing goalies no matter what, but what will they do when forced to decide between two goalies? Obviously, my concern is loyalty to the fifteen-year commitment.

MarinerIslanderSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:13 AM
Bossy573

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyisles View Post
So you think it's a smart financial decision for Wang to buy IRicky out - paying him $2.75m a year for the next 24 years - and then re-sign him for good measure?! *head explodes*
LOL, that one is tough to figure.

See if Jeff Gillooly needs a few bucks and have him pay a visit to TGC in a poorly lit garage somewhere. Then announce Rick's "unfortunate, premature retirement." Problem solved.

Bossy573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:26 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Could DP retire - than sign a new contract?

I have a question and/or concern. Probably both, not that it matters.

Anywho, it is becoming increasingly clear that our "franchise" player has a myriad of issues. He has had far too many surgeries in his relatively young NHL career, and it is now proven that some of these injuries are cause for more injuries, which hinder his play.

If and when Rick Dipietro comes back, should he continue to be plagued with injury problems, could the Islanders:

A) Appeal to the NHL office that the player is unable to physically satisfy the contract?
B) Offer Rick Dipietro retirement, in which his contract would come off the cap, and then re-negotiate a contract should Rick Dipietro feel he is capable of playing again? It would be signing a player out of retirement, which is completely legal, and it would save us from being put in a financial, CATASTROPHIC mess with his contract.

I mean, let's call it like it is. Rick Dipietro was absolutely terrible the 2nd half of last year. Granted the team was, but Dipietro was a big part of the mess. He played through an injury, shown to be serious, and it was argued that it kept him from being the capable player he is. The year before, he was out with that terrible concussion only to return by game 2 against Buffalo, playing only fair, not good - not great.

So on top of a Concussion, he's had, now FOUR not minor, but major surgeries. If I'm correct: Two hip surgeries and two knee surgeries. Umm, tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't those areas, hmm, unbelievably important for a goaltender? Especially for a goaltender that uses his athleticism to be effective?

Say what you want, but there's a big problem here. Not a small one, but a huge one. Rick Dipietro was a big part of this franchise, a HUGE part. Without a quality goaltender, this rebuild is going to take an entirely different turn. I hope he can remain effective but I sincerely have my doubts that Rick Dipietro can be the effective player this franchise NEEDS him to be. His contract issue alone is a very big cause of concern.

What are your thoughts about the impending, serious problem with Rick Dipietro and how the hell can this franchise get itself out of a 15 year contract a starting goaltender cannot fufill? Because that's what it's boiling down to at this point. A player is physically unable to satisfy a contract. It's one thing for it to happen once, or twice. But an injury for Rick Dipietro is going to be imminent the minute he returns to action. If you were a betting man, you'd bet that he'd be dealing with another injury quite soon after his return. He has structural damage, and no matter how many times he's "fixed", it'll just continue to bottle up. Could he be effective? Yes. Is he realistically going to be able to satisfy a contract he signed? Even half of that contract?

The Islanders are going to have a legitimate case on their hands. At this point, it's just a matter of when. The worst case scenario of a landmark 15 year deal is coming to realization, albeit slowly, and there's going to be a heap of issues when Rick Dipietro physically cannot shoulder a starting goaltenders load.

Yikes, that sounded bad.

Last edited by IslesBeBack*: 11-09-2008 at 10:37 PM.
IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 10:50 PM
OlTimeHockey

If he retires, and comes back to us, I believe his contract comes back. f we bought him out we can't sign him for one year after the buyout so I don't know if we could "unretire him" for a hile...

But the thing is.....why would he retire? He'd forfeit 12 years of the worst contract in pro sports history totalling $54,000,000 only to come back for significantly less money unless he healed fully, and in healing, played to the level of a $6-8M goalie for 7-9 years depending on the annual base?

We're stuck unless he really cannot play ever again. No one would turn down the money Wang threw away in this contract. It's too good to be true money for someone who can't wish for that type of luck given his two bad knees, bad hips, concussions and mental meltdowns.

Old
11-09-2008, 11:49 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

I'm all for spitballing, but this is ridiculous.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to 385
I'd imagine if it went down, it would have to go down similar to Berard's situation. However, Berard wasn't actually expecting to come back, and I think that will be the deciding nail in your proposal's coffin. I'm thinking the sad truth is we're stuck with him and his contract. And I'm sure Trotts is going to waltz in here and question my medical expertise, but I really do think he needs to sit out the majority of the year here until he really is 100%; whatever 100% may be following two surgeries anyway. And no, I'm not a doctor, but I play one on HFBoards.

385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Ottoman91

When Rick thinks he is done and only when He thinks he is done will he step down...Remember It is The Ricky show...Me Before the team ! I am the most important part Of This Team! This team Stinks without me! I am DP !

I....I... I NO I In Team DP.... And this is the reason there is no team...

But When Rick does step down He will become Coach or Gm......payroll shift from player to Boss!

Ottoman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 05:42 PM
JKP

How about we just let him get his knee in shape and get healed up. The hip surgeries don't bother me (from what I've read about them and what was wrong, it doesn't seem that big a deal. The knee worries me more, and knee injuries can take a little longer to come back from. Let's wait and see what happens before we talk about buying him out...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
How about we just let him get his knee in shape and get healed up.

What a radical concept!

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
IslesUK

I am a big DP fan, so possibly my opinion is biased so i don't want to say to much. As an organisation we should do what ever is necassary to make sure he is ready for next season. I don't mean give him the whole season off so we can aim for a high draft pick, we need to ensure he is ready and fit to go next October. This is a very young team and with the likes of Nielson, Bergenheim and Okposo being a year older and wiser, i think we could be the surprise team next year.To sniff the play-offs this year would be a huge achievment with our roster... and then we have had all the injuries on top...A solid draft and a couple of key free agent additions could finally send this organisation in the direction we are all dying for. Whether you like it or not, Rick DiPietro is the starting piece of the jigsaw. He can be a solid star in the NHL, but as of yet hasn't done this for a full season.

I beleive he can...

Sorry, rambled a bit!

IslesUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:10 AM
stevedepot

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
JacketsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post

OMG.

That's EXACTLY what he's gonna look like, too.

JacketsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
BJo

Wow that is hideous lol

BJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 09:51 AM
JP Parise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepot View Post
Nice photoshop.

Accurate...and nice.

But who is this DiPietro everyone is talking about?

JP Parise is offline   Reply With Quote