HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Wax or Friction Tape

Old
11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
puckMAN

vCash: 500
Wax or Friction Tape

I have never used wax or friction tape,what works better for scooping a puck?Also this might be a dumb question but what is the difference in stick wax and candle wax is stick wax a more sticky substance?

puckMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Stick wax is softer, so it rubs on better. Once it's on there's no difference.

The difference between the two is pretty big. Wax is not really intended to be sticky to help pick the puck up- it can have that element, but if that's what you're looking for friction tape is a much better option.

However, wax is a good idea. I often rub it on the bottom of the blade after a new tape job, it helps keep the tape in good shape by preventing water from soaking into it, which has a significant effect in tearing it up, so your blade is better protected.

I don't use friction tape though, seems to me that you'll never need to scoop the puck up in a game and I have good enough hands that I can catch the puck at the levels I play at. But some guys really like how their shots come off of it, so each to their own.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
ShowmeHawks

If you think friction tape is going to help you scoop the puck, then by all means give it a shot. I don't use either friction or was, because the tape never lasts that long on my blade anyways. A couple guys on my team use the wax though, and like the other poster said, it helps protect your stick from moisture, but if you're using a composite stick it really doesn't do the stick any good.

ShowmeHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 04:24 PM
UserName

i use wax to prevent ice chips and moisture from sticking on my blade, it really helps during the end of the game when the ice is bad and ice starts forming on your tape.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:37 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

wax along the bottom half

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2008, 08:59 PM
iceman_88888888

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName View Post
i use wax to prevent ice chips and moisture from sticking on my blade, it really helps during the end of the game when the ice is bad and ice starts forming on your tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
wax along the bottom half
i do the same as these guys. no need to wax the entire blade top to bottom and there's absolutely no need to layer on the wax either. there's guys that put almost 1/4" of wax on their blade and i can't ever understand why. use just enough to protect the tape from getting wet and just high enough to where the puck contacts the blade and you're good.

friction tape doesn't last very long and i find that i have to change it practically every period.

iceman_88888888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If I use wax, it's just a bit along the bottom to prevent wear, but I ended up switching tape to something more durable and re-tape every game. I've gone the other way, sometimes I put baby powder on my tape to make it less sticky, but again I switched to a different tape which is less sticky and more cloth-like.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
vivianmb

friction tape is excellent for accuracy on your shots. i've been using it for about 25 years.ice doesn't stick to it. like on cloth tape.

with friction tape i can wrist a shot from my own faceoff circle to the far net top shelf about 1 out of 3 times. with plain cloth i cant even get the height to get that distance unless i scrape the ice off.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote