HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev & Markov

Old
11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Mikalyx

vCash: 500
Kovalev & Markov

Kovalev has one of his worst year in giveaways, he keeps the puck way too long, never a good sign when he starts doing that, usually shows that he's not comfortable with the guys on his line! He was great last year!

Markov looks lost on defense this year, not the same spark has last year?!

Mikalyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
CPrice

Kovalev hasn't looked like the Kovy from last year. He seems to be overshadowed by some of the other players and hasnt really stood out like he did last year. Markov has looked pretty damn good though, I dont know if you can argue that.

CPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Mikalyx

Markov is excellent offensively, but defensively seems lost.

Mikalyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
speed11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikalyx View Post
Markov is excellent offensively, but defensively seems lost.
he's been playing a boat load of minutes and he looks fatigued out there on some shifts, i don't think he seems lost though...

speed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Mue

Markov's last two games have been suspect. Before that he was playing some of the best hockey I've seen from him.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:20 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Kovalev has one of his worst year in giveaways, he keeps the puck way too long, never a good sign when he starts doing that, usually shows that he's not comfortable with the guys on his line! He was great last year!

So Kovalev is uncomfortable with his linemates? The guys he spent all of last season with? Why would he suddenly be uncomfortable?

And Markov looks lost on defense? Are you serious? I would say he's playing the best hockey I've ever seen him play. Period.

Not only do I not agree with you, I can't even begin to guess as to how you arrived at that conclusion.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:27 PM
mcphee

Kovy is at roughly a ppg. He often is maddening because while we see a certain play, he does what he wants when he wants. Wow, Kovalev ? Really ?

That's how he plays. If you can't take the bad with the good, you won't like Kovalev.

Markov had a rough weekend but was nearly flawless in the preceding 10 games. Sometimes he has games where he looks lost. Saturday was one.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

So Kovalev is uncomfortable with his linemates? The guys he spent all of last season with? Why would he suddenly be uncomfortable?

And Markov looks lost on defense? Are you serious? I would say he's playing the best hockey I've ever seen him play. Period.

Not only do I not agree with you, I can't even begin to guess as to how you arrived at that conclusion.
Thanks for saving me the time, pretty much bang on.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Iwishihadacup

And i suppose you state the fact he looks bad on defense on the stats of giveaways?

ridiculous

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:52 PM
NewHabsEra*

One thing Im sure Kovy is giving Carbo some headaches so far this season... Inconsistent, plays alone, takes too long shifts..

Markov has been stellar both offensively and offensively until the next 2-3 games where he obviously slowed down..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Fire Brunet*

Quote:

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
buddahsmoka1

I'm not getting the whole Kovalev doesn't look good concenus thing; he looks the same as he ever has. As for not passing, I have seen atleast half a dozen passes where he set up a great oppurtunity that his linemates couldn't finish. Not only that, I have seen him attempt a number of great passes but haven't gotten through.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I'm not getting the whole Kovalev doesn't look good concenus thing; he looks the same as he ever has. As for not passing, I have seen atleast half a dozen passes where he set up a great oppurtunity that his linemates couldn't finish. Not only that, I have seen him attempt a number of great passes but haven't gotten through.
I have noticed a few passes over the last 2-3 games where he'd try and make a pass to A.Kost. that wasn't there, too mnay bodies in between. I don't know if he's forcing some plays or Andrei isn't coming towards the puck.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Markov's giveaways are so high because of this game:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...9/ES020080.HTM

He was awesome that game. 2nd star.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:32 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Markov's last two games have been suspect. Before that he was playing some of the best hockey I've seen from him.
I toaly agree...and I was more impressed with his defensive play then his offensive play in the first 10 games of the season.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Well, I'm pretty sure when you start learning organized hockey, one of the first thing your coaches tell you is not send soft back hand passes through traffic at the blueline.

Unfortunately, that's what most of Kovalev's ambitious offensive zone plays have been this year.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Where do you get all those.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:24 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure when you start learning organized hockey, one of the first thing your coaches tell you is not send soft back hand passes through traffic at the blueline.

Unfortunately, that's what most of Kovalev's ambitious offensive zone plays have been this year.
Actually he has been quite inventive this year, and has made some moves I've never seen. I haven't seen many soft backhand passes at the blueline. I have seen many saucer passes into the slot that go unfinished. I have seen utilize the off wing and create open ice down the centre several times. I have seen him freeze goaltender, wondering if he's going to pass or shoot.

Certainly Kovalev's an enigma. Who knows, maybe he's tanking so he can play with Lang again. We have one of the most balanced offenses in the league. The PP has been more successful the past couple games and Kovy is the key to that. He's had off games and/or periods, haven't you had days at work that were less than consistent.

Typically the most talented people are also the most... quirky. That's why we love/hate them. I can count on very few fingers the amount of players who've ever played that combine immense talent with a consistent work effort. The rest are players with moderate talent who worked very hard to become consistent, or good talents who struggled with work ethic. Kovy is the most annoying of combinations, immense talent that's moody. Make him mad and he's Gretzky with wheels or Messier with moves, but if he's in a funk it looks like he doesn't care. When he turns the puck over I guarantee he not thinking... hmmm.... now would be a good time to let them play in the other zone. He's more likely trying something different and improvising trying to create offense, which is what he's paid for.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Stewart JH Esq MBE

I have to admit you thalids have the merit of cracking me up some times. Kovalev and Markov are fine.

Kovy's always been this way, and is having a good season point wise. Granted he was dreadful on Saturday but so were the rest of them useless heathens. He'll pick it up as the season goes. Nothing to be worried about.

As for the boy Andrei, like my dearest mcphee said, he's been playing pretty ****ing well all season. Saturday was the second game in two days where he played upwards of 25 minutes. He's been our best player so far this season. I can't believe you guys are having a go at him.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 11-10-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Stewart JH Esq MBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 10:11 PM
muzion

Never mind how many pts he has, Kovy has taken horrible decisions while being a puck-hog, single-handedly neutralizing his line's speed and productivity.

Markov might have been the best d-man in the league save the last two games.

muzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:08 PM
discolafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Never mind how many pts he has, Kovy has taken horrible decisions while being a puck-hog, single-handedly neutralizing his line's speed and productivity.

Markov might have been the best d-man in the league save the last two games.
Sounds similar to how Mario Lemieux Played.

Guess we should never mind how many pts he has...

Close to on pace for 40 goals and 40 assists despite a slow start to the trio......sheesh....only in Montreal...

discolafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 11:30 PM
BlackMarvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustafa View Post
Where do you get all those.
And if i might add why are they all black? (The birthday one was epic )

BlackMarvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 01:41 AM
dre2112

Habs fans have the worst memory. Markov hasn't been great the last 2 games, but he's been outstanding every other game so far this season at both ends of the rink.

Some people are so shortsighted here

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 02:40 AM
HellasLEAF
#93Gilmour/#93Marner

Kovalev is a veteran now and I believe it will be tough to have a season as amazing as last year. He lead the league in powerplay points. I think you will not see the best of Kovalev until the 2nd half of the season. He will slowly take his game up as the games become bigger and closer to playoff time. He's not dogging it. But I wouldn't say he is in overdrive right now either.

HellasLEAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2008, 11:40 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Kovy is at roughly a ppg. He often is maddening because while we see a certain play, he does what he wants when he wants. Wow, Kovalev ? Really ?

That's how he plays. If you can't take the bad with the good, you won't like Kovalev.

Markov had a rough weekend but was nearly flawless in the preceding 10 games. Sometimes he has games where he looks lost. Saturday was one.
that really is Kovalev. If you want to restrain him in a Lemaire style of play, you're loosing his upside.... to get the most out of him, you have to let it be. That's the way he likes to play, and that's what makes him such an unpredictable player, which is a big part of his game...

markov has been a rock so far this year ... its easy to point out one or two games where he played bellow average, but let's be honest, in the big picture, he is having a hell of a start. a guy like phaneuf had a very slow start, but it doesnt take away the importance he has in the flames lineup.

Obyrne, brisebois and even komisarek (getting better and better) scared me at the start of the season... so again, I don't know why some posters are targetting markov...

offensively, I'm not worried... and if you look at our top 4 (breezer or OB ) and at price+halak ... combined with a poor defensive effort from time to time by one of our top 3 line... you get the inconsistent, erratic defense we have now. If anything, its my only concern.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote