HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Ugly night in T.O.

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Habs4Life

vCash: 915
Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the organization.

Everytime we trade a player, they live up to their potential.

Riberio, now Grab.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life View Post
Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the organization.

Everytime we trade a player, they live up to their potential.

Riberio, now Grab.
its not even 20 games into the season

Old
11-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Habs4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
its not even 20 games into the season

See Leclair, and other players that have left Montreal.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Jozef Balej.
Jan Bulis.

What about Gorges then?

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.... San Jose traded Kipprusoff to Calgary for a 2nd rounder you know.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:27 AM
YouAreStupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
The Habs had no legs tonight and it showed. O'Byrne reminds me of Brent Bilodeau. He must be sent down fast no matter what. Why not bring up Carle for a few games and see what he has. With the Habs playing 2 games backto back in 2 days why didn't Carbo use the fresh legs of Dandenault and Begin against the Leafs. When Kosto was ejected our PK unit was losing a good man. Begin would have been handy. Laraque wasn't needed tonight. Tie Domi retired a long time ago.

The Leafs are now only 2 points behind us and we play against the Sens, the Bruins and the Flyers next week. The last 2 weeks of November the Habs play 4 games each week. They need to be in top playing shape and I'm not sure they are.
Is it me or is the North East one of the best divisions in the league?

Old
11-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
As ugly and crappy as it was, I think this game can be a good thing. The Habs this season haven't really had to try and they still won games. Hopefully this game can be a wakeup call that they can't just coast and rely on their skill all the time. Hopefully this game will leave a bad taste in their mouth and they are focused and ready to play Ottawa because that's gonna be a tough game.

And Grabovski and go **** himself. I wanted Sergei to pound him so much last night. He better keep his head up the next time the two teams play because he's got something coming to him and it's gonna hurt.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:31 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
As ugly and crappy as it was, I think this game can be a good thing. The Habs this season haven't really had to try and they still won games. Hopefully this game can be a wakeup call that they can't just coast and rely on their skill all the time. Hopefully this game will leave a bad taste in their mouth and they are focused and ready to play Ottawa because that's gonna be a tough game.

And Grabovski and go **** himself. I wanted Sergei to pound him so much last night. He better keep his head up the next time the two teams play because he's got something coming to him and it's gonna hurt.
Grabovski will be nailed --->

Old
11-09-2008, 08:34 AM
la25ecoupe

I predict another loss.

Old
YouAreStupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
but Grabs is another Nik Borchevsky and nothing more...he isn't the savour Toronto makes him out to be.
Blow things out proportions much?

We obviously like the Grabo trade. He brings a good set of skills to the team, but savior? Give me a break...

Old
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
yeah... you can predict that Grabovsky would be the next Gretzky less than 20 games into the season?

come on, he's in a hot streak now, lets see in to months

Old
11-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
I predict another loss.

Never turn your back to a cowboy... Never.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:40 AM
centrehice

Man, did Kovalev ever have a bad night. I truly believe he passed the puck to the leafs more than the habs last night.

No joke.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Carbo N8

I blame this on Gainey: signing all those contracts with a guarantee that they wouldn't have to work weekends.

Seriously, they got outworked by the other guys. The schedule? Maybe partly, but, they aren't playing as a team, too many individual, selfish plays, defensive zone coverage not nearly good enough & goalies not being difference makers in a positive way. Enough with the penalties already.

Lots of time to sort it out, but, if they don't show a better work ethic, all the talent in the world isn't going to get it done.

I looked up & the sky is still there, it hasn't fallen yet.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:45 AM
Habs4Life

Laraque is useless. I was talking a very knowledgable oilers fan and said he was useless because he will not fight anyone that he thinks he can beat the **** out of, because he's too much of a nice guy.

To be honest I'm starting to agree with him. Laraque should have a nasty side but I haven't seen it yet this year.

Old
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Iwishihadacup

someone should give kovalev a nasty spank for his play in the last couple of weeks

Old
11-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
someone should give kovalev a nasty spank for his play in the last couple of weeks
Invisible throutout all of last game. Luckily we won't be re-signing him so I won't have to go through this next year.

Old
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Then tell me what did Carbo do right?

I feel that Carbo is as much invisible as the players.
You want him to go on the ice to make saves and score goals?

Old
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
I blame this on Gainey: signing all those contracts with a guarantee that they wouldn't have to work weekends.

Seriously, they got outworked by the other guys. The schedule? Maybe partly, but, they aren't playing as a team, too many individual, selfish plays, defensive zone coverage not nearly good enough & goalies not being difference makers in a positive way. Enough with the penalties already.

Lots of time to sort it out, but, if they don't show a better work ethic, all the talent in the world isn't going to get it done.

I looked up & the sky is still there, it hasn't fallen yet.
To me this team doesn't look the same as last year, it looks like they don't care. Last year they played like the Leafs are playing now (with more talent), and it showed in almost every game. This year everyone floats around waiting for the perfect play. We'll still win alot because of the talent level, but we won't be an elite team or a good playoff team for that matter if they keep floating.

Who was actually GOOD last night... I don't recall anyone standing out as better then bad.

Old
11-09-2008, 09:02 AM
BigTimer*

Toronto definately played a better game last night.

But we definately need to clear some things up.

First of all, shame on Kostopolous. Stupid play that put us in the hole early, and this a day after I went on a rant about Commodore for doing something similar.

This is not the kind of physical hockey that this team needs to play. The only thing a hit like that does is make everyone on your team fair game, especially when nothing instigated it.

This team needs to go out there and make it clear that they're here to play hockey, and if the other team interrupts with a challenge, (be it a headshot, hit from behind, hit on Price) answer it... answer it ten-fold, and then get back to hockey.

Which leads into another issue. Georges Laraque. For this guy to serve any purpose on this team, he needs to drop his rule of only fighting enforcers. If he refuses to, off to the pressbox. You see the Leafs take 3 consecutive goaltender interference (something unheard of), and then Grabovski spears our goalie in the gut. Heavyweight or not, somebody on the Leafs need to answer the bell. If they don't want to, take him to task anyways. What I'm getting at is that ultimately in the "enforcer" role, Laraque can't hold a candle to the justice Souray used to dish out. Souray didn't care who you were, but if you crossed the line you had to man up... and if you weren't game, he would take you to town anyways.

Last night, Souray would of given Grabovski a royal correction of the face... whereas Georges was too busy trying to play what he calls hockey and what I call a keep away practice drill.

Old
11-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Maximus Taylor

This is what my ESPN Fantasy Pool Report said about Grabovski this morning.

Mikhail Grabovski Sat, Nov 8, 2008 - Grabovski scored a goal and added an assist against his former team, the Canadiens, on Saturday night. He was also public enemy number one for butt-ending goalie Carey Price in the groin area. The butt end was vicious and so clearly deliberate when viewed on the replay; thank goodness goalies wear protection the size of a small force field. Despite his ugly play, he's a fantasy force right now with six goals and two assists in the last four games. Use him while he's hot -- he's clearly able to play (and play well) in this league.

I thought it was interesting that they would put this in the individual player news.

Old
11-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
To me this team doesn't look the same as last year, it looks like they don't care. Last year they played like the Leafs are playing now (with more talent), and it showed in almost every game. This year everyone floats around waiting for the perfect play. We'll still win alot because of the talent level, but we won't be an elite team or a good playoff team for that matter if they keep floating.

Who was actually GOOD last night... I don't recall anyone standing out as better then bad.
It does look that way at times.

I wonder if our depth is actually working against us at the moment. You have players like Sk, Lats & to a certain extent maybe Higgins looking over their shoulders at someone in Hamilton who is eager to replace them or someone with the Habs taking their icetime and they feel they have to prove what they can do, which sometimes can lead to individual play rather than utilizing teammates.

Couple that with what appears to be a leadership void & the result will be games like last night.

When I say leadership void, I think sometimes you get that when players feel that they are ready to assume that role and too many are trying to lead & there aren't enough left to be led. Not sure if that makes sense.

Old
11-09-2008, 09:30 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
It does look that way at times.

I wonder if our depth is actually working against us at the moment. You have players like Sk, Lats & to a certain extent maybe Higgins looking over their shoulders at someone in Hamilton who is eager to replace them or someone with the Habs taking their icetime and they feel they have to prove what they can do, which sometimes can lead to individual play rather than utilizing teammates.

Couple that with what appears to be a leadership void & the result will be games like last night.

When I say leadership void, I think sometimes you get that when players feel that they are ready to assume that role and too many are trying to lead & there aren't enough left to be led. Not sure if that makes sense.
I know exactly what you mean by this, i'm inclinded to agree with it too. Last year the two main leaders of this team were Kovalev & Koivu, i'm not sure about this year.

Old
11-09-2008, 09:31 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob De Funes View Post
This is what my ESPN Fantasy Pool Report said about Grabovski this morning.

Mikhail Grabovski Sat, Nov 8, 2008 - Grabovski scored a goal and added an assist against his former team, the Canadiens, on Saturday night. He was also public enemy number one for butt-ending goalie Carey Price in the groin area. The butt end was vicious and so clearly deliberate when viewed on the replay; thank goodness goalies wear protection the size of a small force field. Despite his ugly play, he's a fantasy force right now with six goals and two assists in the last four games. Use him while he's hot -- he's clearly able to play (and play well) in this league.

I thought it was interesting that they would put this in the individual player news.
That's quite suprising indeed...

Old
11-09-2008, 09:32 AM
smon

I think the team just became complacent. When they were able to win games without playing a full 60 minutes, they started to think they could get themselves out of a hole against any team because of their "superior skill". Last night proved that it doesn't work all the time, although you'd think they learned that lesson against Anahiem...or Columbus.

Some thoughts:

- Laraque has to get more involved in the game. If no one's going to fight him, obviously he shouldn't be jumping people and getting instigator penalties. But he could at least start hitting more often.

- Carbo's got to sort these guys out. Lazy penalties aren't exactly the m.o. of a well-coached team.

- The Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Kovalev line really has to get something going. Either that, or split them up. Kovalev is really what makes that line click, but if it's not working, I see no harm in putting him with Lang. Ditto for Higgins-Koivu-Tanguay, although they haven't exactly been playing together for more than a few games.

- Of course, let's not forget that the Canadiens desperately need another top-4 D. O'Byrne's really an AHL level defender, and Brisebois (sigh!) is not exactly killing it. If Markov is already this tired 12 games in, what does that mean for the playoffs?

Old
11-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Laraque is useless. I was talking a very knowledgable oilers fan and said he was useless because he will not fight anyone that he thinks he can beat the **** out of, because he's too much of a nice guy.

To be honest I'm starting to agree with him. Laraque should have a nasty side but I haven't seen it yet this year.
Yep. Laraque is the reason the Leafs scored 6 goals & we only mustered 20 shots.

Closed Thread